73 Pages<<70717273PrevNext
#1776 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2020 5:41:15 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NightDriver7800 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: grolschie Go to Quoted Post
I hate how with Forza games the car sounds always sound like 2 different samples being mixed together. You can hear 2 engines simultaneously. Annoying. The more you listen, the easier it is to hear. Then you can't unhear it.

I took a strange liking to it. I remember EA did it to create upgraded sounds in NFS Carbon.

I'm (not?) surprised people noticed this only now, though. I'd even say the majority of the sounds in the game are like this and, make no mistake, in the 360 games it was like this as well, you had (lots) of "base samples" and they would mix the sounds for different cars. I can spot BMW in the Aston Martin DB5 and Audi in the Delta S4, for example. I even think the highly praised R8 sound is an Audi V8 sound layered with a V10 of some sort (which is not inaccurate, because that's what the engine actually is).

Difference being that sound relies a lot on artistic direction, which recently Forza has shown a complete lack thereof, and leads us to bizarre things such as a 2000GT that sounds like a Hudson Hornet or a Supra A70 which doesn't feel too far off a diesel-powered car with its low-pitched sound. Or maybe even the Celicas sharing an engine and sounding completely different from one another.

im not hoping for any improvement in FH4 or future games, gran turismo and forza switched places and now forza is the bad sounding one...
#1777 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:01:26 AM(UTC)
Right - so the fact that this thread is still going means what? That they'll improve a few things here and there in FM7 or introduce improvements in FM8?

OR - mess everything up again and then proceed to fix it one month at a time?

They should bring back Nick Wisewell's team.

Honestly, I'm more excited about GT7 than any Forza game at the moment.
#1778 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:01:34 AM(UTC)
Right - so the fact that this thread is still going means what? That they'll improve a few things here and there in FM7 or introduce improvements in FM8?

#1779 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:05:18 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: opencamswrx Go to Quoted Post

what are you smoking? nick wiswell still works at T10: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nick-wiswell-403a183/
 4 users liked this post.
#1780 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:05:02 AM(UTC)
Most eneginesounds are sampled way too low. Take the Toyota 200GT; rev it to its 8k+ shiftpoint and it still sounds like some lazy 3.5k

I know I`m a purist but this takes a lot of the emotions out of driving & racing. 6k in a V8 is an angry sound, not the sleepy noise that most engines make in all Forza-games.
TThe 7.0 litre Ford (GT40Mk2) is an exeption, it sounds allmost as it should do.

Edited by user Friday, June 26, 2020 5:03:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gt: fairlane305
 3 users liked this post.
#1781 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 8:30:16 AM(UTC)
Shame on you PG, making us use the 99 Viper with its awful sound.
Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame.

Edited by user Sunday, July 5, 2020 11:56:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1782 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 10:19:24 AM(UTC)
I usually let things slide with games, because they’re games, but absolutely trashing the V10 sound between H3 and H4 is my biggest gripe with this game. Someone awhile back said it sounds like a bullfrog, and that couldn’t be more accurate. I thought they would change it, but nope.
#1783 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 3:55:04 PM(UTC)
Zenvo TSR-S sound isn't awful, but I feel like they went a bit heavy on the higher frequencies and a bit light on the bass. I know where they got the sound for this. It sounds like a remix of the Formula Drift Vette with a load of extra high frequencies piled on top for no good reason. :/

Edited by user Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:16:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#1784 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:05:27 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TollovFoldal Go to Quoted Post
Most eneginesounds are sampled way too low. Take the Toyota 200GT; rev it to its 8k+ shiftpoint and it still sounds like some lazy 3.5k

I know I`m a purist but this takes a lot of the emotions out of driving & racing. 6k in a V8 is an angry sound, not the sleepy noise that most engines make in all Forza-games.
TThe 7.0 litre Ford (GT40Mk2) is an exeption, it sounds allmost as it should do.

MY HERO!

Indeed, that's the problem. 1992 Supra has this problem as well. Tons of others do but these are the most recent that come to mind.

Not a bad thing to be a purist when it comes to this. ;)
May the forced induction be with you.

Alice >>>>>>>>>> Keira
 1 user liked this post.
#1785 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:17:42 PM(UTC)

They sound and feel like V8s in limp mode with very poor throttle response. It's gross.
#1786 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2020 11:57:50 PM(UTC)

MY HERO!

Indeed, that's the problem. 1992 Supra has this problem as well. Tons of others do but these are the most recent that come to mind.

Not a bad thing to be a purist when it comes to this. ;)

being a purist will just make you disappointed - expect the worst, live with the worst. Its not getting better.
 1 user liked this post.
#1787 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2020 11:24:32 PM(UTC)
Shame on you PG, making us use the *place 90% of the cars in the game here* with its awful sound.

Edited by user Sunday, July 5, 2020 11:57:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1788 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 1:01:46 PM(UTC)
[Mod Edit - thread merged - MM]

TOYOTA MR2 GT AND CITROEN DS3 RACING HAS THE SAME ENGINE SOUND!!! VIDEO PROF:

https://youtu.be/pqC_8uqclJg

Yeh, two different cars with two different ENGINES but equal sound
Comparasion in Full Screen 0:00 and Split-screen 1:56
The engines are different as the cars, the MR2 GT has a 2.0L Inline 4 Turbocharged engine, it revs 8000RPM, produces 241bhp and it was made in 1995.
While the DS automobiles DS 3, has a 1600L Turbocharged engine. It procudes 200bhp, redline at 7000RPM and it was made in 2010.
So nothing here is similar. Why Forza Developers keep both with the same ENGINE NOISE? It doesn't make any sense.
The Toyota Celica GT-4 is very similar too with this two cars, but it has a small diference.

Edited by user Saturday, July 11, 2020 8:04:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1789 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2020 2:25:13 AM(UTC)
I wonder if FH5 will also have wasted potential and just a heavy focus on visuals...
 1 user liked this post.
#1790 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 1:38:48 PM(UTC)
Forza actually records a lot of cars from most angles to get the most accurate sounds but it’s what goes on after the recording’s that’s the biggest problem.
They say they only take away excess wind noise and clear up the sound but this also Where I believe they ruin it with most base noise and actual Exhaust note is destroyed, sounds more intake than exhaust noise.

I think this is why all cars sound tinnier than they should, I think either resort to older sounds or just keep in the wind noise as it’ll add realism.

Driving at 200 in this game is like driving at 40, no drama no noise you can hear everything clearly ( tinney Engine noises) I’ve been at 200 it’s quite scary as the scenery flies past almost blurry ( not fast and furious nos style but far from forzas hardly moving feel) and the wind noise is a lot louder than you’d think.
#1791 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2020 9:36:36 AM(UTC)
I don't know if it's been noticed, but they have been putting in quite a bit of work on the sounds the last few months. Loads of cars got added bass, and better engineering. 2009 Corvette used to be one of the worst sounding cars in the game, and now it's very close to where it should be. Lamborghini Countach has almost as much bass as the R8. I've heard a lot of forced induction sound updates. Lots of changes going on. No new sounds tho. Just a lot of fixing what's already here.

Edited by user Saturday, August 8, 2020 9:42:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#1792 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 7:26:12 AM(UTC)

About sound; here`s how a 400hp 1965 Mustang Shelby sounds through a race exhaust system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhqSeZv8YIw
Gt: fairlane305
 2 users liked this post.
#1793 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 10:56:35 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: unfairlane64 Go to Quoted Post

About sound; here`s how a 400hp 1965 Mustang Shelby sounds through a race exhaust system

That's quite a demonstration of biggest weakness of car games. At the time they advertise Raytracing and 8K, my money would go for any game able to give me some proper car sounds and engine vibrations feedback
#1794 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2020 2:32:42 PM(UTC)

You're not wrong, but things are changing. Check out the Shelby Cobra / Cobra Daytona and Dodge Dart. Cars are starting to feel a lil more angry. I have faith that they'll do well in the next game given that they're taking the effort to fix up all this weak poor audio that was brought over from FM7. I'd like to think that I'm helping to guide them with my support/feedback tickets I've been sending forever. Maybe instead of just making posts in this thread y'all should be sending them tickets too.

Edited by user Thursday, August 20, 2020 2:34:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#1795 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 6:48:40 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Tilo38 Go to Quoted Post

That's quite a demonstration of biggest weakness of car games. At the time they advertise Raytracing and 8K, my money would go for any game able to give me some proper car sounds and engine vibrations feedback

THIS!!!

There's very little sense or feeling of vibration, bass, rumble and ferocity coming from the engine/exhaust effects - even with cars over 800HP with insane V8s. This really is a sad day in the franchise. No amount of features or graphics can fix the horrible sound. They should have done their homework on every car and bring it up to the same level as the R8.
 1 user liked this post.
#1796 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 12:44:11 PM(UTC)

THIS!!!

There's very little sense or feeling of vibration, bass, rumble and ferocity coming from the engine/exhaust effects - even with cars over 800HP with insane V8s. This really is a sad day in the franchise. No amount of features or graphics can fix the horrible sound. They should have done their homework on every car and bring it up to the same level as the R8.

It's my pray for the future of car games, the feeling of those wild beasts is not only visual, you just press a bit the accel and all your body starts to vibrate, the sound of the engine literally fills your soul. There is exactly zero taste of that in forza, some physics, some photo realistic display but sound is level of chuck yeager I had in the 90's on my EGA monitor incorporated speakers .... When you shift down a gear you should feel the feedback of the torque in the controller, thunder in you ears. I am ready to accept that most people don't/can't have a V10 raging in the living room, but having a proper sound associated to controller vibrations, it would be a giant step.

#1797 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 4:11:13 PM(UTC)
There's 700 cars in the game, impossible to be accurate. Every McLaren in the game is supposed to sound different, but it saves a lot of time to just give the Senna sound to all of them. People here want every WRX to sound different, which is just not very economical from a development standpoint.

And, even if you have good samples, it's no use when the audio direction is bad and you have things like the Supra A70 sounding like a diesel because the guy who makes the audio settings can't match sample frequency to engine frequency or rpm. I've seen the usual complainers praise the 2000GT sound and, while it's not far from the real one, it's definitely not a good sound since the frequency is way too low. When I rev that engine to 9000 rpm I want it to scream and, well, that's not what happens in the game.

It's not even an accuracy issue sometimes. The sounds in FH4 are low quality and poorly mixed. You can very easily spot flanging in the new M3 E36 sound they made, which is inferior to the one in FM7. Also, in cars like 650S and all old V12 Ferraris (older than the 250LM) you can notice the sound is poorly phased during sample transitions, which makes it "fluctuate" (for lack of a better term). Everyone who knows a little about car sounds in video games is aware that an engine sound is usually a transition between multiple samples at different frequencies and they overlap when going from one sample to another to create the illusion of smoothly revving an engine. If the samples mix poorly during this overlap you'll experience poor phasing.

tl;dr Audio quality has dropped quite a bit in the last couple Forza games.

Alice >>>>>>>>>> Keira
#1798 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 10:31:57 PM(UTC)
There's 700 cars in the game, impossible to be accurate. Every McLaren in the game is supposed to sound different, but it saves a lot of time to just give the Senna sound to all of them. People here want every WRX to sound different, which is just not very economical from a development standpoint.

And, even if you have good samples, it's no use when the audio direction is bad and you have things like the Supra A70 sounding like a diesel because the guy who makes the audio settings can't match sample frequency to engine frequency or rpm. I've seen the usual complainers praise the 2000GT sound and, while it's not far from the real one, it's definitely not a good sound since the frequency is way too low. When I rev that engine to 9000 rpm I want it to scream and, well, that's not what happens in the game.

It's not even an accuracy issue sometimes. The sounds in FH4 are low quality and poorly mixed. You can very easily spot flanging in the new M3 E36 sound they made, which is inferior to the one in FM7. Also, in cars like 650S and all old V12 Ferraris (older than the 250LM) you can notice the sound is poorly phased during sample transitions, which makes it "fluctuate" (for lack of a better term). Everyone who knows a little about car sounds in video games is aware that an engine sound is usually a transition between multiple samples at different frequencies and they overlap when going from one sample to another to create the illusion of smoothly revving an engine. If the samples mix poorly during this overlap you'll experience poor phasing.

Same page, emphasis is on graphics, all for graphics, sounds are at the bottom of the list. FH4 had to run better graphics while still on Xbox 1S. They had to take resources somewhere. I guess that guy did some tremendous work to get the best out of something like 1 or 2% of cpu.

I have this idea that they should not try to sample the sounds but try to reproduce it, the same way physics are not assembled samples. Anyway things won't change until some finally gets that sounds is key dimension in car games. Still, the issue is that research needed to come with a proper model is ultimately specific to racing games while a physic model can be sold to much more companies. Will it happen some day ...

And feel the 1000 HP when I push the accel as despite we don't have all 1MW sound system, we all have some force feedback controllers ( yes I ignore keyboard players ). Just cut the sound and all are just electric cars at the moment ... :(
#1799 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2020 12:31:51 PM(UTC)

Same page, emphasis is on graphics, all for graphics, sounds are at the bottom of the list. FH4 had to run better graphics while still on Xbox 1S. They had to take resources somewhere. I guess that guy did some tremendous work to get the best out of something like 1 or 2% of cpu.

I have this idea that they should not try to sample the sounds but try to reproduce it, the same way physics are not assembled samples. Anyway things won't change until some finally gets that sounds is key dimension in car games. Still, the issue is that research needed to come with a proper model is ultimately specific to racing games while a physic model can be sold to much more companies. Will it happen some day ...

And feel the 1000 HP when I push the accel as despite we don't have all 1MW sound system, we all have some force feedback controllers ( yes I ignore keyboard players ). Just cut the sound and all are just electric cars at the moment ... :(

I think in the last few years of the Xbox One, especially with Xbox One X, they decided simply to go all out on graphics since that's what would sell the game. Playground has done a terrific job on the graphics, but the sounds are definitely lacking and even if you change from FM7 to FH4 it shows because the very same samples from FM7 sound even worse in FH4.

Alice >>>>>>>>>> Keira
#1800 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 9:48:24 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: WillMcNoob Go to Quoted Post

what are you smoking? nick wiswell still works at T10: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nick-wiswell-403a183/

O--kayy, is this a fake profile by any chance? Cos' I'm pretty sure Polyphony stole him away for GTS. He's now back on Forza?

Sorry, I'm honestly confused - he left at some point and started working for PD, which is why they have fantastic sounds in GT Sport.

Originally Posted by: B1G A1EX Go to Quoted Post
Forza actually records a lot of cars from most angles to get the most accurate sounds but it’s what goes on after the recording’s that’s the biggest problem.
They say they only take away excess wind noise and clear up the sound but this also Where I believe they ruin it with most base noise and actual Exhaust note is destroyed, sounds more intake than exhaust noise.

I think this is why all cars sound tinnier than they should, I think either resort to older sounds or just keep in the wind noise as it’ll add realism.

Driving at 200 in this game is like driving at 40, no drama no noise you can hear everything clearly ( tinney Engine noises) I’ve been at 200 it’s quite scary as the scenery flies past almost blurry ( not fast and furious nos style but far from forzas hardly moving feel) and the wind noise is a lot louder than you’d think.

Do you remember how the wind noise built up in FM4 and FH1? It would actually drown out the engine noise beyond a certain speed, and that was an excellent effect.

I don't know why the team at PG/T10 (calling themselves car guys) can't get these intricate effects right.

The cars lack drama, sound tiny and the exhaust sounds are anything but loud, chunky and intimidating. There's just not enough focus on getting the rumble, loudness, bass and vibration right on the exhaust effects and engine notes. Such wasted potential - even though I have GP almost every month, I hardly touch FH4.

I would have forgiven them if they hadn't produced such fantastic work in the older FH and FM games - but how can any fan of cars, racing or motorsport forgive them for the way they scaled back sounds, and expecting people not to notice?!

I'm glad at times like these, I have the older Forza games to go to - but especially Dirt Rally 1 and 2, Dirt 4, PCARS2, Assetto Corsa and Ride 3 - my oh my does the sound make those games 200% more satisfying to play.

Edited by user Monday, August 31, 2020 10:07:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

73 Pages<<70717273PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error