This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
64 Pages<<5657585960>>PrevNext
#1426 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 12:56:33 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: WillMcNoob Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NightDriver7800 Go to Quoted Post
For some reason the cars in Forza Motorsport have always felt much more raw than in Horizon. It doesn't help that in Horizon the car sounds are muffled by the radio music most of the time.

In FH4 it's worse since turning off radio does not completely shut down the game's music as it should. So it's pointless to turn the radio off.

It also seems to me that cars using the new granular synth method are a fair bit louder than the others, which I like, but also creates inconsistencies.

what new method? and which cars use it

I don't know how it works, because I'm not an audio engineer. I do know Playground built a new sound engine for the game and they're slowly transitioning the sounds as they get new samples. From the top of my head:

- McLaren Senna (obviously)
- Ford Fiesta XR2 (reused for a myriad of cars)
- Jaguar E-Type
- Audi R8
- Ferrari 812 Superfast
- Dodge Viper (this is a bad one obviously but mostly due to wrong samples)
- Toyota Supra
- BMW M3 '97 (unsure of this one, wrong pitch, but fairly accurate) (3.2L I6 engine swap)
- BMW M4 GTS (sourced from an N55, most certainly)
- Chevrolet SS (FH3) (6.2L V8 engine swap)
- Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 and R33 (I'm not sure if this sound is actually from the Skyline, but it's one of the new ones)

The Admiester on Discord had a method for detecting them but from experience any sound with a very large difference between exterior and interior is likely to use the new system. In old system the interior sound is created by effects, which does not seem the case here.

slowly transitioning? there wasnt a single sound update since march or april last year, also both R32 and R33 use the FH3 supra sound file, which is disappointing, the R33 sounded godly in fh3 with its own sound file

All the Skyline sounds - except for the R35 - were hotly debated in the FH3 forum about how wrong they were. They still have lacklustre sounds for the Skyline in FH4. You really have to hear the real thing. It is not a faithful representation in the game.

Originally Posted by: teksenic Go to Quoted Post
If this new Huracan Evo or Performante gets the current crappy Huracan sound I'm quitting. That'll be the last straw. When they updated the R8 V10 they should have done the same to the Huracan since they're basically the same car. I don't know why this wasn't done, but i'm not thrilled about it. I can only bring myself to use the Huracan in FM7. Can't even touch the FH4 one. Shame too since Lamborghinis are among my faves. I also can't believe that the Lambo V12s haven't been updated with the FM7 sounds. Those are just about perfect.

I find it beyond silly and impractical so as to why they would use almost completely different sounds for the same car across both games!

They should just use the really great samples from Assetto Corsa in their game - AC's good car sounds are nearly 100% on-point. It's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by: grolschie Go to Quoted Post
I've been playing the old FM5 a bit lately (ikr) and even some of the cars there sound really awesome!

I've said it on a number of occasions I think - FM5's sound are the best ones they've come up with - nearly every car in that game is an accurate representation. But then again, you will see replies popping up, disagreeing with my "assessments" for the sake of disagreeing.

There are actually some great sound samples in FM7 as well, especially for the cars that got updated in April this year. Baffles me why they can't just use those here.

Excuses and excuses watching this video made me cringe as never before, they OPENLY contradict themselves in things like them not copying sound files and making every car sound unique...and in the end provided no clear answer a to why FH4 sounds so bad and if it will ever receive some big sound update, the senior sound guy says he records cars every week...so why wasnt there a single sound update since almost year ago??

TBH, I have abandoned hope and faith in PG to rectify the sounds. FH1 and 2 had a good run, part of the reason I enjoyed them so much were the varied and true-to-character car sounds. Now it seems they are catering to a very different demographic and so long as the games keep selling and bought by people who don't car much for car sounds - they will not change their ways. And that's okay.

There's plenty of great stuff out there like AC, PCARS2, FM7, FM5, etc. Games that actually care about the car sounds being on par with the physics and visuals.

Edited by user Monday, January 13, 2020 1:03:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1427 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 6:04:48 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: opencamswrx Go to Quoted Post
For some reason the cars in Forza Motorsport have always felt much more raw than in Horizon. It doesn't help that in Horizon the car sounds are muffled by the radio music most of the time.

In FH4 it's worse since turning off radio does not completely shut down the game's music as it should. So it's pointless to turn the radio off.

It also seems to me that cars using the new granular synth method are a fair bit louder than the others, which I like, but also creates inconsistencies.

I don't know how it works, because I'm not an audio engineer. I do know Playground built a new sound engine for the game and they're slowly transitioning the sounds as they get new samples. From the top of my head:

- Jaguar E-Type
- Audi R8
- Ferrari 812 Superfast
- Toyota Supra
- BMW M3 '97 (unsure of this one, wrong pitch, but fairly accurate) (3.2L I6 engine swap)
- Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 and R33 (I'm not sure if this sound is actually from the Skyline, but it's one of the new ones)

The Admiester on Discord had a method for detecting them but from experience any sound with a very large difference between exterior and interior is likely to use the new system. In old system the interior sound is created by effects, which does not seem the case here.

slowly transitioning? there wasnt a single sound update since march or april last year, also both R32 and R33 use the FH3 supra sound file, which is disappointing, the R33 sounded godly in fh3 with its own sound file

All the Skyline sounds - except for the R35 - were hotly debated in the FH3 forum about how wrong they were. They still have lacklustre sounds for the Skyline in FH4. You really have to hear the real thing. It is not a faithful representation in the game.

If this new Huracan Evo or Performante gets the current crappy Huracan sound I'm quitting. That'll be the last straw. When they updated the R8 V10 they should have done the same to the Huracan since they're basically the same car. I don't know why this wasn't done, but i'm not thrilled about it. I can only bring myself to use the Huracan in FM7. Can't even touch the FH4 one. Shame too since Lamborghinis are among my faves. I also can't believe that the Lambo V12s haven't been updated with the FM7 sounds. Those are just about perfect.

I find it beyond silly and impractical so as to why they would use almost completely different sounds for the same car across both games!

They should just use the really great samples from Assetto Corsa in their game - AC's good car sounds are nearly 100% on-point. It's ridiculous.

I've been playing the old FM5 a bit lately (ikr) and even some of the cars there sound really awesome!

I've said it on a number of occasions I think - FM5's sound are the best ones they've come up with - nearly every car in that game is an accurate representation. But then again, you will see replies popping up, disagreeing with my "assessments" for the sake of disagreeing.

There are actually some great sound samples in FM7 as well, especially for the cars that got updated in April this year. Baffles me why they can't just use those here.

Excuses and excuses watching this video made me cringe as never before, they OPENLY contradict themselves in things like them not copying sound files and making every car sound unique...and in the end provided no clear answer a to why FH4 sounds so bad and if it will ever receive some big sound update, the senior sound guy says he records cars every week...so why wasnt there a single sound update since almost year ago??

TBH, I have abandoned hope and faith in PG to rectify the sounds. FH1 and 2 had a good run, part of the reason I enjoyed them so much were the varied and true-to-character car sounds. Now it seems they are catering to a very different demographic and so long as the games keep selling and bought by people who don't car much for car sounds - they will not change their ways. And that's okay.

There's plenty of great stuff out there like AC, PCARS2, FM7, FM5, etc. Games that actually care about the car sounds being on par with the physics and visuals.

theres hope that Turn10 will do horizon too this time, or MS will just push PG to actually put effort for the new xbox
#1428 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2020 8:17:45 AM(UTC)

theres hope that Turn10 will do horizon too this time, or MS will just push PG to actually put effort for the new xbox

I read that a new team are working on Horizon 5, it didn't say Turn10.
#1429 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 12:32:03 AM(UTC)

- Jaguar E-Type
- Audi R8
- Ferrari 812 Superfast
- Toyota Supra

T10 themselves working on a Horizon game? Where are you getting this?
#1430 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:22:24 AM(UTC)

- Jaguar E-Type
- Audi R8
- Ferrari 812 Superfast
- Toyota Supra

T10 themselves working on a Horizon game? Where are you getting this?

No i said i HOPE as T10 are actual car guys unlike playground games
#1431 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 2:16:31 PM(UTC)
I don't see why Turn10 and PGG don't just keep a shared library of recordings, and add to it, year by year? I mean the game's sound engine may change, but surely the recordings don't have to be scapped before starting development of each release?

If they have a great rear recording of a car from an older game, but no interior recording, who cares? I'd rather they keep the good sounds.
#1432 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 2:17:40 PM(UTC)
Or is it back to stupid licensing agreements? Like with the removal of DLC from the store for older games?
#1433 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:42:43 PM(UTC)
Or is it back to stupid licensing agreements? Like with the removal of DLC from the store for older games?

That is the stupidest thing, I swear. I can't express my disappointment in words when I learned that I couldn't buy Storm Island for FH2 or get the car pass and rally expansion in FH1.

I think Forza is the only game I've come across in the store where the DLC has an expiration date! It's beyond ridiculous.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:43:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1434 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 12:27:57 AM(UTC)

That is the stupidest thing, I swear. I can't express my disappointment in words when I learned that I couldn't buy Storm Island for FH2 or get the car pass and rally expansion in FH1.

I think Forza is the only game I've come across in the store where the DLC has an expiration date! It's beyond ridiculous.

Tell me about it. I didn't know the DLC was being removed and I missed out on Storm Island. I'd love to find a code for it!

#1435 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:57:36 AM(UTC)

Tell me about it. I didn't know the DLC was being removed and I missed out on Storm Island. I'd love to find a code for it!

PG and T10 cant use sound from FH3/FM6 and older because those were made by a team on a contract which expired in 2016, after they left they took EVERYTHING and copyrighted the sound files, so PG started from scratch for FH4 for every. Soundclip in the game
#1436 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:26:48 PM(UTC)
Welp. It sounds like the Performante got the same old tired V10 sound instead of the R8/ID Zero Uno absolutely fantastic and incredibly accurate V10. Same engine in all 3 cars. LAMBORGHINI FSI 5.2L V10!! I'll give them a chance to fix it. If not I'm uninstalling and saying goodbye to Horizon until they get their sound sorted out. I've had enough of this lack of caring about sound. I'm out.
#1437 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:24:05 AM(UTC)
Welp. It sounds like the Performante got the same old tired V10 sound instead of the R8/ID Zero Uno absolutely fantastic and incredibly accurate V10. Same engine in all 3 cars. LAMBORGHINI FSI 5.2L V10!! I'll give them a chance to fix it. If not I'm uninstalling and saying goodbye to Horizon until they get their sound sorted out. I've had enough of this lack of caring about sound. I'm out.

Quite evident I think that they will not fix it because it's now a matter of "oh we botched up too many sounds and you'll have to wait till the next game".

There are no fixes coming in the next games, I am being realistic, that's all.

A game like Assetto Corsa did just a great job of sounds in only their first game. Sure, there are a few awkward ones, but majority of great car samples overshadow that. I hardly go back to Forza now and only play FM7 occasionally to satisfy my kinks with certain cars and tracks.

AC is such a wonderful example that all developers can learn from, not only T10/PG. I hope we get a sequel to AC on both One-X and series X - one that hopefully MS won't try to suppress through all the industry red tape and whatnot.

I swear if only the AC team had access to T10's or PG's budget and resources, they would absolutely destroy all other games in terms of the level of realism that's possible in a driving game.
#1438 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 1:41:20 AM(UTC)

Quite evident I think that they will not fix it because it's now a matter of "oh we botched up too many sounds and you'll have to wait till the next game".

There are no fixes coming in the next games, I am being realistic, that's all.

A game like Assetto Corsa did just a great job of sounds in only their first game. Sure, there are a few awkward ones, but majority of great car samples overshadow that. I hardly go back to Forza now and only play FM7 occasionally to satisfy my kinks with certain cars and tracks.

AC is such a wonderful example that all developers can learn from, not only T10/PG. I hope we get a sequel to AC on both One-X and series X - one that hopefully MS won't try to suppress through all the industry red tape and whatnot.

I swear if only the AC team had access to T10's or PG's budget and resources, they would absolutely destroy all other games in terms of the level of realism that's possible in a driving game.

The problem is if they had that budget and got big they would go lazy too, PG is lazy because people keep buying the games no matter the quality so they can lazy out on everything the average casual gamer wont notice
#1439 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 3:18:44 AM(UTC)
A game like Assetto Corsa... the level of realism that's possible in a driving game.

Poor graphics vs. poor details... Hard choice to make.
#1440 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 11:10:12 AM(UTC)

Recently...

#1441 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:39:17 PM(UTC)

Recently...

so what does this mean?? actual effort put into the new games this time or? i mean its xbox insider...not PG or T10
#1442 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 12:43:15 PM(UTC)

Recently...

also they liked every comment on that post
#1443 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2020 1:29:23 PM(UTC)
Heres why the next games are most likely gonna sound better or/and have generally better attention to detail:
1. recent competition threats, most notably NFSs comeback...Heat with extraordinary sound design and customization which turned many forza players to NFS, then a competitor from the other side of the river Gran Turismo Sport, with a great sound design too and the models are of higher quality, albeit lacking any visual customization, and then the more niche ones like PC2 or even Dirt2

2. team restructuring, the teams (most notably the community one) are going through a restructuring phase to get ready for the next games.

3. new console realese: both FM8 and FH5 will really have to show off this time to promote the new xbox.

4. New engine, as of now, forza is using the same ForzaCore engine since FM3!!, hopefully this new engine will make up for better sounds and easier implementation of things like brake caliber paint

5. more development time, FH4 has an unseen after realese support that no forza ever had in the past, obviously because of the next horizon expected to realese in 2021

but heres something to worry about:
current Senior sound designer at PG Fraser Strachan outright lied and contradicted himself several times on stream that was about the sound issue 8 months after realese, and the fact that PG isnt hiring for the sound team is worrying whether FH5 will meet similiar fate
#1444 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 2:31:34 AM(UTC)
Heres why the next games are most likely gonna sound better or/and have generally better attention to detail:
1. recent competition threats, most notably NFSs comeback...Heat with extraordinary sound design and customization which turned many forza players to NFS, then a competitor from the other side of the river Gran Turismo Sport, with a great sound design too and the models are of higher quality, albeit lacking any visual customization, and then the more niche ones like PC2 or even Dirt2

2. team restructuring, the teams (most notably the community one) are going through a restructuring phase to get ready for the next games.

3. new console realese: both FM8 and FH5 will really have to show off this time to promote the new xbox.

4. New engine, as of now, forza is using the same ForzaCore engine since FM3!!, hopefully this new engine will make up for better sounds and easier implementation of things like brake caliber paint

5. more development time, FH4 has an unseen after realese support that no forza ever had in the past, obviously because of the next horizon expected to realese in 2021

current Senior sound designer at PG Fraser Strachan outright lied and contradicted himself several times on stream that was about the sound issue 8 months after realese, and the fact that PG isnt hiring for the sound team is worrying whether FH5 will meet similiar fate

1. These 'competition threats' have been around since before FM6 or FH3. Much before that. NFS was still killing it with the sounds, with FM5, in my opinion, being the only worthy title that could live up to NFS's sounds. Even with GTS and PCARS2 in existence, they did not improve the overall car sound factor in FH4 or FM7, although the latter got updates for specific cars, which is appreciated. I don't think T10 sees other games as competition. Huge mistake. They are in their own bubble and if it sounds right to them, then it is 'universally' right.

2. Hmm, they have had restructuring before - didn't do much to improve the car sounds in their games.

3. With the Xbox One's release FM5 did improve car sounds from FM4, but it was downhill from thereon.

4. Not correct, they are already using a new engine which was upgraded this generation, and it has made the cars sound worse. Ignore this one, if you were referring to their development engine in general, and not the sound engine.

5. This one, I agree. More development time means they extensively test out the game and do justice to each car. I honestly would be happy if they release just 100 cars on launch - and put a big notice on their forum and all marketing campaigns that: due to quality reasons and getting sound and handling characteristics right for each car, we are releasing xx amount of cars on launch - the rest of which will be made available gradually through free DLC, along with a select few as paid DLC, over the next weeks and months.

There, car sound issue solved.

You know, they have some excellent elements in their car sound design that remind me they are fully capable of reproducing the best car sounds. They just won't do it, because profits keep getting the best of them. It never seems enough. I just have not seen the same level of passion, dedication and sheer love as saw, heard and felt while playing their Forza games on the X360 or FM5, for example.

I'm so drawn to Assetto Corsa these days because I feel that same excitement when I played FM4 or 5 for the first time, or when I first experienced GT on the Playstation 1.

Edited by user Monday, January 20, 2020 2:35:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1445 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 5:58:56 AM(UTC)

1. These 'competition threats' have been around since before FM6 or FH3. Much before that. NFS was still killing it with the sounds, with FM5, in my opinion, being the only worthy title that could live up to NFS's sounds. Even with GTS and PCARS2 in existence, they did not improve the overall car sound factor in FH4 or FM7, although the latter got updates for specific cars, which is appreciated. I don't think T10 sees other games as competition. Huge mistake. They are in their own bubble and if it sounds right to them, then it is 'universally' right.

2. Hmm, they have had restructuring before - didn't do much to improve the car sounds in their games.

3. With the Xbox One's release FM5 did improve car sounds from FM4, but it was downhill from thereon.

4. Not correct, they are already using a new engine which was upgraded this generation, and it has made the cars sound worse. Ignore this one, if you were referring to their development engine in general, and not the sound engine.

5. This one, I agree. More development time means they extensively test out the game and do justice to each car. I honestly would be happy if they release just 100 cars on launch - and put a big notice on their forum and all marketing campaigns that: due to quality reasons and getting sound and handling characteristics right for each car, we are releasing xx amount of cars on launch - the rest of which will be made available gradually through free DLC, along with a select few as paid DLC, over the next weeks and months.

There, car sound issue solved.

You know, they have some excellent elements in their car sound design that remind me they are fully capable of reproducing the best car sounds. They just won't do it, because profits keep getting the best of them. It never seems enough. I just have not seen the same level of passion, dedication and sheer love as saw, heard and felt while playing their Forza games on the X360 or FM5, for example.

I'm so drawn to Assetto Corsa these days because I feel that same excitement when I played FM4 or 5 for the first time, or when I first experienced GT on the Playstation 1.

Turn10 is building a completely new game engine for series X games as seen on every gaming news site, including a new sound engine so the FH4 uses will be trashed it seems, and theres a pattern: the less cars there are the better the sounds, this applies to 90% of car games, FM5 had the smallest Xone generation car list and well... the best sounds, the gameplay wasnt so great but i feel it was rushed in that department for the xone realese, but i dont think theyll be cutting down the list in favor of detail because normies and casual gamers (not car people) only see the number of cars and the size of the map, also a smaller car list wouldnt be seen as exciting to show off the new xbox

On a side note, i listened to all car sounds from NFS Heat...assesment? Terrible, most cars just sound so similiar and dull with the game desperately trying to compensate it by having over-the-top shifts, and some sounds are really muffled, theyre not even satisfying, i mean come the **** on, FH4s pista sounds more exciting than the NFS one which is a statement

About the competition: yes NFS existed for the last 20 years but the second half 2010s games were pretty much forgotten, none of them were hyped up this much or had an impact on the forza community, and both GTS and PC2 were realesed deep in the development of FH4 so there was no reaction to that at all, but that implied more to FM7
#1446 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 5:23:59 PM(UTC)
I've given up fighting with these stubborn doods. Guess my EQ band-aid will have to do. >> -18DB high shelf at 132hz!! Ridiculous >:{
#1447 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2020 6:20:35 PM(UTC)

So they "fixed" the engine sound then?
#1448 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:39:21 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Kranktus Go to Quoted Post

Have not. If nothing is done about this in the very near future, I am done.
#1449 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:52:01 PM(UTC)
So I've just played NFS Heat recently and I have to say jesus those cars sound AMAZING! The majority of car sounds in FH4 in comparison is utter garbage. Also in NFS Heat there's an option to fully customize car sounds so you can fine tune them to make them sound even more awesome and realistic.

Now you might wanna say but there're a lot more cars in FH4 it's impossible to make most of them sound accurate, which brings me to my next point: what's the point of having so many cars when 80% of them sound nothing like their real life counterparts? No matter how highly detailed the car models and how realistic the handling models are, bad sounds WILL totally break immersion. Is quantity really more important than quality? I don't think so.
 1 user liked this post.
#1450 Posted : Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:52:05 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Kranktus Go to Quoted Post

Have not. If nothing is done about this in the very near future, I am done.

Yeah right. Nothing like giving a vague timeframe to give yourself plenty of "outs"

You won't do anything. All mouth, no trousers.
64 Pages<<5657585960>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error