4 Pages123>>Next
 2 users liked this post.
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:17:44 PM(UTC)
FH4 Game Progress via Horizon Life

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/10/forza-horizon-4-every-season-is-racing-season-ign-first?page=4

Brown explains that players who just want to explore, photographers, tuners, and painters will all be able to work through Horizon Life in Forza Horizon 4 in their own way. Even streamers, via Mixer, will be able to earn progress based on how often they stream and the viewers they amass.

“In Horizon Life you’ll be able to earn progress in the game… and level up and get rewards through any of those activities,” says Brown. “If all you want to do is paint, the game will recognise that; it will give you objectives and challenges and rewards, and you can level up and see all the game’s content just through being a painter. It’s the ultimate evolution of Forza’s play-how-you-want philosophy.”

“If all you want to do is paint, the game will recognise that... It’s the ultimate evolution of Forza’s play-how-you-want philosophy.[/quote]
 1 user liked this post.
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:18:16 PM(UTC)
Horizon Stories - characters and jobs

Quote:
Another feature, which Playground is dubbing Horizon Stories, adds a host of bespoke driving opportunities spearheaded by a large injection of new characters to the Horizon world.

“In previous games, everyone you’ve ever met at the festival, worked or lived at the festival,” says Brown. “Because you’re living there now we wanted to try and add more life to the world, so through a feature we’re calling Horizon Stories you’ll now meet people from around the UK; [they’re] colourful characters which will give you loads of really cool driving opportunities.”

Brown explains we’ll be able to pick up gigs like being a stunt driver in a movie, or assisting in a car documentary shoot.
 3 users liked this post.
#3 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 5:33:09 AM(UTC)
This is another feature that I find to be a gimmick and have absolutely zero interest in.

For all the great things about Horizon 4 that I have read, this is a major downer.

I really do not want a SIMS meets Horizon game, but it looks like this is what we are getting. Shame, really. There are multiple reasons I do not play any of the SIMS (characters) series

As much as I have been looking forward to this new edition of Horizon, this feature may just be the main reason to NOT purchase (along with the whole character customization feature).

Edited by user Monday, June 11, 2018 5:34:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users liked this post.
#4 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 7:21:07 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: luckeydoug1 Go to Quoted Post
This is another feature that I find to be a gimmick and have absolutely zero interest in.

For all the great things about Horizon 4 that I have read, this is a major downer.

I really do not want a SIMS meets Horizon game, but it looks like this is what we are getting. Shame, really. There are multiple reasons I do not play any of the SIMS (characters) series

As much as I have been looking forward to this new edition of Horizon, this feature may just be the main reason to NOT purchase (along with the whole character customization feature).

Why though? It looks like you can play the old fashioned way, or play this way if it's what appeals to you. Adding more ways to progress is fine for me as long as it comes with player choice to choose how you want to play the game.
 3 users liked this post.
#5 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 8:41:56 AM(UTC)
If it is truly optional, then that's OK. Based on past games, I am fully expecting to be constantly bombarded with "Hey... there is a job opening at ....." from Keira, Anna, or who ever. I just hope there is an option to turn this stuff off if I am not interested in it.

In particular, there was no way to bypass the whole character thing in Horizon 3. You had to choose one as well as a name. Complete and utter fluff that adds nothing to the game for me and uses resources (and required programming) that could have been used for other things. Now it looks like we will have outfit choices as well. Really, I don't like any part of this whole personalization stuff.

Further, I am fully expecting there will be achievements for these things as well....

Other than this, I am very much looking forward to the game.

Edited by user Monday, June 11, 2018 8:44:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#6 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 9:31:51 AM(UTC)
If it is truly optional, then that's OK. Based on past games, I am fully expecting to be constantly bombarded with "Hey... there is a job opening at ....." from Keira, Anna, or who ever. I just hope there is an option to turn this stuff off if I am not interested in it.

In particular, there was no way to bypass the whole character thing in Horizon 3. You had to choose one as well as a name. Complete and utter fluff that adds nothing to the game for me and uses resources (and required programming) that could have been used for other things. Now it looks like we will have outfit choices as well. Really, I don't like any part of this whole personalization stuff.

Further, I am fully expecting there will be achievements for these things as well....

The game's gotta appeal to the normal people who don't give a damn about actual racing somewhat, though right?

Edited by user Monday, June 11, 2018 9:32:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: ;)

(Oo\SKYLINE/oO)-BNR34
(OO\SKYLINE/OO)-BCNR33
(O-O\SKYLINE/O-O)-BNR32
 2 users liked this post.
#7 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 9:41:14 AM(UTC)
What I am a bit confused about is the Forza games progression.

In 1 we were the "new guy"

In 2 we were The champs that "controlled" the races after we won

In 3 we were the "Boss" that controlled everything and upgraded it.

Now in 4 we are a "superstar" that does jobs? how did we get knocked down so far in 4?? lol

In all seriousness it's different for sure and im sure will be fun. Just seems a tad odd festival story wise :P
#8 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 10:11:12 AM(UTC)
All these new options / activities added to the game sounds great. Complements are welcome.

But..hope these new actions could be selected / done on screen with a steering wheel too.
Some of us like to play Horizon with a wheel. I would not like to find out that a controller is a must!

Enjoy Horizon!

5 users liked this post.
#9 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 10:50:06 AM(UTC)

You're a more old-fashioned gamer. You have a game, and you have a purpose in that game, nothing more, nothing less. I get that. But newer gamers want to BE in the game. Not just complete it. They want to be able to be themselves and even express their ideas through a virtual world. Of course, this seems a bit off for a racing game. But Horizon has always been about You, the player. Why not give people more ability to be themselves? I find the idea amazing. Of course, there is nothing wrong with not liking that though. Some people just want the story dictated to them, and given challenges to surpass, which I think you may be in that group. You just want a linear path, no weird detours or crazy adventures. And that is okay. My Father is like that, he hates the new Zelda game because it is free and open, allowing you to do and be what you want, basically. He likes the linear story. But games are changing. Gamers are changing. And in the future, I am sure I will be like my dad, angry or upset about this new thing in my once beloved series. Sorry. Got all existential. Anyways, coding that character thing doesn't even take that long (compared to everything else), just so you know (I am a software programmer myself). I hope you will still be able to enjoy this game the way you want. If not, I will enjoy it in your stead.
 1 user liked this post.
#10 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 11:24:16 AM(UTC)
It does sound like they're ditching the idea of progressing via actually placing in races again ><. H3 made it so you never had to win anything, so all motivation was gone and there was zero replay value. The expansions brought back actually succeeding in a big way, which was great, even in the gimmicky Hot Wheels setting. It was kind of strange that you could unlock all of the races just by doing skill zones, but at least it was still succeeding. The main problem there was that they duplicated most of the races just to up the numbers, and they -really- needed to give us a race creator in that setting then.

It sounds like now the events will just unlock over time regardless of what you do, kind of like how they've treated barn finds in the past, but a million miles away from the feeling of actual progress of H1. If what you describe as just -being- in the game is the way forward for games then maybe games need to be on the way out. At least I'm pretty sure we won't be able to beat the likes of Destiny raids just by taking selfies any time soon.
 2 users liked this post.
#11 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 11:46:51 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: mvon007 Go to Quoted Post
It sounds like now the events will just unlock over time regardless of what you do, kind of like how they've treated barn finds in the past, but a million miles away from the feeling of actual progress of H1. If what you describe as just -being- in the game is the way forward for games then maybe games need to be on the way out. At least I'm pretty sure we won't be able to beat the likes of Destiny raids just by taking selfies any time soon.

GASP you mean people play a game simply because they like it?! What kind insanity is that?

Not everything in a video game needs to have a progression attached to it. Different people have different ways of enjoying themselves, and it's cool that Playground Games is making an effort to let them experience as much of the game as everyone else.

Edited by user Monday, June 11, 2018 11:47:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#12 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 4:50:57 PM(UTC)
This feature could be awesome or garbage. Time will tell.
I blame the ants.
 2 users liked this post.
#13 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 6:38:22 PM(UTC)
Forza 7 seemed to be moving away from having options to play how you wanted, what with homologation and the hoop jumping for locked cars.

I hope this is a sincere attempt at opening up options and not just a way to introduce even more hoops to jump through.
Click to watch Sim and Realword Driving Videos

PC & XB1
Next Level Racing GT Ultimate v2
Fanatec Clubsport: Wheelbase v2.5 | Inverted Pedals v3 | SQ Shifter v1.5 | Universal Hub for XB1
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:37:57 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DarkraiSpeed Go to Quoted Post

You're a more old-fashioned gamer. You have a game, and you have a purpose in that game, nothing more, nothing less. I get that. But newer gamers want to BE in the game. Not just complete it. They want to be able to be themselves and even express their ideas through a virtual world. Of course, this seems a bit off for a racing game. But Horizon has always been about You, the player. Why not give people more ability to be themselves? I find the idea amazing. Of course, there is nothing wrong with not liking that though. Some people just want the story dictated to them, and given challenges to surpass, which I think you may be in that group. You just want a linear path, no weird detours or crazy adventures. And that is okay. My Father is like that, he hates the new Zelda game because it is free and open, allowing you to do and be what you want, basically. He likes the linear story. But games are changing. Gamers are changing. And in the future, I am sure I will be like my dad, angry or upset about this new thing in my once beloved series. Sorry. Got all existential. Anyways, coding that character thing doesn't even take that long (compared to everything else), just so you know (I am a software programmer myself). I hope you will still be able to enjoy this game the way you want. If not, I will enjoy it in your stead.

Nailed it Darkrai

I lost all interest in gaming for a latter half of a decade and this E3 got me emotional with FH4, Fallout 76 and Rage 2 going completely "play it you way and develop your own story". I spent years waiting for games without forcing you to play how the devs want you to and locking all content in the process. FH4 will be the first game I could truly enjoy for months to come.
 1 user liked this post.
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:02:28 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Cerrax Go to Quoted Post

GASP you mean people play a game simply because they like it?! What kind insanity is that?

Not everything in a video game needs to have a progression attached to it. Different people have different ways of enjoying themselves, and it's cool that Playground Games is making an effort to let them experience as much of the game as everyone else.

This is similar to the way society is trending for the future - people are saying we will not have to work ... but what will people do? People are heavily motivated by effort for reward, that is why most of us work. Some of us are lucky enough to enjoy that work a lot as well, but that is the basic foundation. Taking out the need to perform in order to advance in life will lead to mass depression and such because there is no motivation. Taking out the need to perform to advance in FH3 took out all motivation to play it. We ground out for the achievements; hell I even ground out all the non-HE cars, which was mad, but then that was it. I went back to FH2 for the most part because the road trip system made it feel like I was ALWAYS progressing. FH4 sounds like it will be even more free-form and that is very bad news. In so many other free-form games, people complain about the lack of "content", mainly because of that progression concept. This could be just the same, and it is a real shame that games are tending away from actually improving your lot in general.

If it is all about options, there should be hardcore ones for those of us that want progression, and to feel rewarded for doing well, not just for passing the time. FH1 knew where it was at, as did FM6. Even the FH3 expansions had some idea! I really hope that they put in star systems like those had, as a nod to progression.
 1 user liked this post.
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 6:23:40 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Cerrax Go to Quoted Post

This is similar to the way society is trending for the future - people are saying we will not have to work ... but what will people do? People are heavily motivated by effort for reward, that is why most of us work. Some of us are lucky enough to enjoy that work a lot as well, but that is the basic foundation. Taking out the need to perform in order to advance in life will lead to mass depression and such because there is no motivation. Taking out the need to perform to advance in FH3 took out all motivation to play it. We ground out for the achievements; hell I even ground out all the non-HE cars, which was mad, but then that was it. I went back to FH2 for the most part because the road trip system made it feel like I was ALWAYS progressing. FH4 sounds like it will be even more free-form and that is very bad news. In so many other free-form games, people complain about the lack of "content", mainly because of that progression concept. This could be just the same, and it is a real shame that games are tending away from actually improving your lot in general.

If it is all about options, there should be hardcore ones for those of us that want progression, and to feel rewarded for doing well, not just for passing the time. FH1 knew where it was at, as did FM6. Even the FH3 expansions had some idea! I really hope that they put in star systems like those had, as a nod to progression.

I look at it this way, I play games for fun and escape work. Work in games contradicts that when you think about it
 1 user liked this post.
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 8:57:34 PM(UTC)

Thats the major point for me.

They say, you can do in the game what you want at anytime.
Thats cool.

But chances are good, that they will try to force you to do something, like in FH3, wich is really, really annoying to me.
I play FH3 once a week for the X-Box Challenges.
Sometimes after I did the Challenges I just want to cruise around, do some speedtraps, looking for billboards, do Head-to-Head-races here and there.
But you get 3 audio notifications per hour from Anna muting the radio, asking everytime the same.
When you free roam for a few hours you get crazy because it repeats over and over again, if you want or not.
Thats not freedom for me.
I heard that question at least 500 times now.

All I want is a simple option in the options to disable any sort of notification for something in the game.
Give me the freedom to do what I want in the game without trying to do what you want.

I totally understand that the new smartphone generation of kids with a attention span of around 30 seconds need some direction.
All I ask for is a simple option.

Same goes for Forza Motorsport 7 and this notification guy explain to me every week that there are new cars in the specialty dealer.
(actually not for me for months, because my garage is close to completion (not really a complain though))
Its not as bad as in FH2 and FH3, but still...
At least they made this "Wanna change the difficulty? Your too good mate."-thing a one time pop up instead like in FH3 where it pops up every 5 races for me, wich is also pretty annoying.

So...my rant is finished.
But I had to say that, because (I know it doesn't sound like that) these 2 game series are close to perfection for me.
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:39:58 PM(UTC)
Very good points there. The past does seem to suggest that while they shout "freedom" from the rooftops, the game will just about -insist- that we do EVERYTHING. They're almost marketing it as an RPG with buying houses and such, but I'm sure we will all eventually own every available house and business, just to shut it up. They could definitely make that sort of thing into progression, and even have us play separate playthroughs with different houses and businesses perhaps with different perks, cars, paint jobs, etc. But they won't because freedom just means collecting everything in any random order.
 3 users liked this post.
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:22:21 PM(UTC)
I'm fine with features like this as long as they aren't cringey. Games like the Crew and NFS make my physically shrivel into a prune with cringe with bad dialogue, awful puns just... just no... Forza Horizon 3 bordered on that a little too much for my liking.

Horizon 1 nailed it imo. Perfect balance. Odd few cutscenes but nothing crazy or overbearing. Cliché and goofy characters and dialogue but nothing cringey. Just enough story to keep you interested. Best progression out of the 3 so far. I hope it's more toned down and less "in your face" and obtrusive like FH1.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:23:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 1:10:23 PM(UTC)
Well we're going from boss and everyone being just slightly too excited to know us, to superstar. I'm not sure how they draw the lines in these things, but hopefully some sense of progression has us ride through the ranks, even if that is based on ... Ewwwww ... Fans. Either way, just as long as I can still have them call me Twinkle Toes, it's okay.
 1 user liked this post.
#21 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:38:50 PM(UTC)
Well we're going from boss and everyone being just slightly too excited to know us, to superstar. I'm not sure how they draw the lines in these things, but hopefully some sense of progression has us ride through the ranks, even if that is based on ... Ewwwww ... Fans. Either way, just as long as I can still have them call me Twinkle Toes, it's okay.

Yep. You're very old fashioned.

If the past 3 Horizon games followed the same or similar concept of rising up the ranks, then we'd likely have a growing number of people lamenting of lack of change/innovation. More new players are getting on board Horizon, while some people who've played the past 3 Horizons would want to play the game in a different perspective.

Nothing wrong with trying something new. I hope this game appeals to you just as it appeals to me and others. Sure, when the first Horizon released, I enjoyed playing as the new guy working my way up. With the next 2 games, while I do miss the story, I enjoyed the additional freedom that the games gave you. So it's more of trying to have an open mind and going with the flow, but of course, not everyone can do that, which is fair.
#22 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 9:07:18 PM(UTC)
Amidst all the division, I'm looking forward to feeling like a businessperson and progressing via something other than racing

2 users liked this post.
#23 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2018 11:42:10 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Race Hork 731 Go to Quoted Post
(...)

The game's gotta appeal to the normal people who don't give a damn about actual racing somewhat, though right?

Superb. "Normal people" are those who play game, that main themes are cars and progressing in races, BUT they don't "give a damn about actual racing"? Fantastic. Then I got scenario for such normal people for Forza Horizon 5. You are an ice cream van seller (car theme) and drive through some cities and sell ice cream (don't giving a damn about racing, just driving through the city). Your boss pays you nothing so you have to do a side jobs to have money. So sometimes you drive somewhere to repair leaking sink or clogged toilet. Your boss don't care about the car you use in job, so you have to fix pierced inner tube in your wheels, etc. You will have your 1:1 realistic, miserable life available in game. I bet it will be "blockbuster in gaming".

FreezngStorm599 wrote:
Amidst all the division, I'm looking forward to feeling like a businessperson and progressing via something other than racing

Well, wouldn't it be better to be a businessperson in real life and make a real money on it (car shows, etc.)? If you like being a business person in game, try some Business simulation games - "Crazy Taxi Tycoon" or whatever.

We have so much to do in our real life. We have living pets, parents, children, couples. Why the hell someone wants "to be in the game" instead of lead his own real life (be in it for real) and just play the game, doing real things in reality? FH3 offered the right balance between business / leading festival and racing. I am afraid FH4 changes that balance in wrong way.
 1 user liked this post.
#24 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2018 12:31:45 PM(UTC)
I think I am the odd one out here, but I am looking forward to the Jobs!

we all know they are going to be Fun, from "Mad Cab" Missions, to being a Stunt Man (which might explain THE James Bond DB5 in the FM7 files... note, Playground, if we do get to make a Bond Movie in the Game, please use Brosnan rather than Craig! thanks!) to a Car Magazine Show (Possibly either "Top Gear" or "the Grand Tour" ) so they wont be boring.

I think the Main reason I am looking forward to the Jobs Element is the Immersion Elements, I am *never* going to be able to Drive in Real Life, nor can I Work, I am officially blocked from Working by the UK Department for Works and Pensions by the "Unemployable without Intervention" Tag. I wont Give the Reasons why however, as there are a lot of Very Nasty Memes relating to them in Abundance on "the Interwebz".

As a Result, Games like Horizon give Me a Chance to live an Idealised Fantasy Version of things, such as Car Driving (its why I use Cockpit Cam) and having a Job, that I am never going to be able to Do in Real Life. So for Me, the "jobs" are an Extra element of Immersion, and a way to Drag Me even Deeper into the Fantasy that Horizon Offers.

So, Bring them On I say, because I cannot wait to do them!
#25 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2018 9:20:52 AM(UTC)
FORZA HORIZON 4: LIVING THE HORIZON LIFE - IGN FIRST
27 JUN 2018
BY LUKE REILLY
http://www.ign.com/artic...e-horizon-life-ign-first

Quote:
“One of the other great things which we’ve always found in Horizon is, because we have a really broad feature set, we end up with a really diverse set of players who play the game in really interesting and different ways,” says principal game designer Mike Brown. “Obviously there are people who come to race, but there’s equally people who don’t really want to race at all, and maybe they’re artistic and they want to express themselves in the livery creator.”

Brown explains that players who just want to explore, photographers, tuners, and painters will all be able to work through Horizon Life in Forza Horizon 4 in their own way. Even streamers, via Mixer, will be able to earn progress based on how often they stream and the viewers they amass.

“If all you want to do is paint, the game will recognise that; it will give you objectives and challenges and rewards, and you can level up and see all the game’s content just through being a painter,” says Brown. “It’s the ultimate evolution of Forza’s play-how-you-want philosophy.”

"#HorizonLife in #ForzaHorizon4 is the biggest single design paradigm shift in the history of the Horizon series." - Ralph Fulton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSe-0sD0Is8
4 Pages123>>Next

Notification

Icon
Error