This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
3 Pages123PrevNext
#26 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2017 1:13:57 PM(UTC)
I'm pretty sure the darker cockpit view is because it's meant to replicate looking through a tinted helmet visor. I could be wrong but that's how it comes across.
 1 user liked this post.
#27 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2017 3:26:01 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Binurah Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Speed Demon996 Go to Quoted Post

I would have to correct you here - this is a lighting bug that has carried over from FH3.

For example, you'd be driving certain cars around certain times of day, and from the cockpit view it would get very dark or very bright, but the moment you switch to one of the outside views, colors, contrast and brightness displays correctly. However, when you're driving a car that's relatively dark from the hood view, you'd again get this problem, but it remedies itself once the dark paintjob is out of the way. ...

I didn`t know about this bug, but I find myself switching out of cockpit view when the darkness takes over. It helps, but I am not sure if the lighting is really correct then, or just less of a problem due to having the windshield out of the way. Will keep an eye on that from now on.

On top of that, I hope they do something about the tunnels (Rio, Dubai). Can`t see anything in there, I basicly just try to keep distance from the lightsources on the walls.

Yeah i noticed that..pitch black. In F6 there were beautiful reflections off the cars and you could still see. This game is just rubbish compared to the realistic F6
#28 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2017 3:37:18 PM(UTC)
Today, there was a brightness-button in the xbox-version. The graphics button in the options menu isn't gray anymore. :-)
 1 user liked this post.
#29 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2017 4:55:54 PM(UTC)
Sorry to the OP for going a bit off-topic, after all this was just about a brightness slider, which should indeed be there.

But I`d like to add, no brightness or gamma slider will fix wrong lighting, at best it helps a bit with visibility.

If 90% of the sky is clear, light blue, but the track looks like it`s midnight because one cloud decided to cover the sun that`s not fixed with general brightness.
Cranking it up would just give you a way too bright sky and turn the track from black to dark-grey.
I really hope Turn10 can fix this.
#30 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2017 9:51:57 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: dreampage Go to Quoted Post
It's because the lighting model is adjusted for HDR displays. If you don't have an HDR screen you can't see the full spectrum of the picture. Not enough brightness in the sunshine and not enough details in the dark. I agree that on regular screens the game can look dark and washed out, especially in cloudy weather. The track surface and the environment can be surprisingly dark even if it's midday but cloudy. You need an HDR display to fully appreciate the graphics.

This is not accurate. The game supports HDR, it was not specifically developed for HDR. And the lighting module supports both, independently. I have played the game on 3 different displays (60" HDR 4K, true 120Hz refresh, 60" non-HDR 1080 60Hz, 13" non-HDR 1080 Laptop). And on both Windows and XBOX and it looks very similar across the board. In fact on the HDR set it looked so good in non-HDR for the first few days I forgot to switch over. But once I did it was pretty amazing.

Make sure you have your display calibrated correctly. This does not mean moving a few sliders around until you like what you see. This means getting a calibration disc and running a calibration tool. And adjusting your brightness and gamma (if available) for the proper light level of your gaming environment. Most video games are significantly overly bright and colorful. So if you have one setting for your TV that you're using for all of your games and movies, etc. Forza will definitely look dull and lacking brightness. Turn 10 went for a very photo-realistic visual, not your standard Mass Effect cartoon brightness and color look.

My primary gaming set (the 60" HDR 4K) has been specifically calibrated for gaming. But even with that some games don't look quite right, and definitely have too much brightness. It would have been smart for Turn 10 to include a brightness and gamma setting for non-HDR. They do have these settings for HDR enabled displays and they do make a difference.
#31 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2017 10:00:39 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BRIANP0P Go to Quoted Post
It didn't bug me while racing but in the car upgrades option it drives me nuts. Every wheel in the upgrades just looks black to me and can hardly see the design of the shape of the wheel when it simulates what it looks like on the car. I couldn't tell if one of the bbs wheels were gold or anthracite by looking at the car if not for the picture of the wheel in the menu/upgrade shop.

Yeah no kidding. As soon as I click on a rim, I'm like... oh, there's a black circle inside the tire, that looks nice.
#32 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2017 10:41:34 PM(UTC)
Trying out some cars at Le Mans. At first I'm thinking, I really dislike overcast weather and for whatever reason, both it and sunny conditions fall under "Day" and it just randomizes between the two. Next, I can't help but notice how dark everything looks even for overcast, not that I'm barely noticing this now. It just stood out even more this time around, along with the road looking even darker.

I get tired of it, switch weather to rain. Now the trees look nearly black. yet everything else was slightly bright compared to the overcast weather. What is this? Switched back to Day weather. Awesome, sun's out again and now everything is clear, except this game still needs some sort of brightness/contrast sliders in the menu because sunny weather doesn't look very vibrant.

Side note: For all the hype this game's graphics got, tree-heavy areas look a bit awful not just because they're 2D, but because they don't have proper shadowing.
#33 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 7:08:52 AM(UTC)
Bumping this because I haven't seen any solutions either. Track is really hard to see in night races....
#34 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 8:42:55 AM(UTC)
I absolutely refuse to race in the dark or in the rain. Either I can't see anything or I do not want to see the downgraded rain.
 2 users liked this post.
#35 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 3:58:59 PM(UTC)
Somebody inside Turn 10 was thinking FM7 is a flying simulator. Hence the sky is the dominant part of the lighting model and the track just become secondary. And all good and well this rain and dark skies, specially in this period of time I personally prefer a game with blue skies and sun shine. If I want to see rain and dark skies I just have to look out the window these days.
 1 user liked this post.
#36 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 10:47:37 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Rawspeed19D Go to Quoted Post
Somebody inside Turn 10 was thinking FM7 is a flying simulator. Hence the sky is the dominant part of the lighting model and the track just become secondary. And all good and well this rain and dark skies, specially in this period of time I personally prefer a game with blue skies and sun shine. If I want to see rain and dark skies I just have to look out the window these days.

My thoughts exactly, in the rain it's just too dark when inside the cockpit looking at the road (and in some degree dusk & dawn too).
There are 3 options...

1) T10 finally adds true active lightning coming out of the headlights! (no cosmetic only like it is now)
2) Switch over to another view, most will choose chase cam (guess FM7 was made with chase cam as priority).
3) Continue and curse your way over the finish line in cockpit view.

Active lightning from the headlights would solve everything! Look at PC2? No problem for these guys, in any setting.
Why only use them in night races, T10? ... did you came accros FPS issues when you did? ... and this while using DX12!
 1 user liked this post.
User is suspended until 4/12/2045 11:41:31 AM(UTC)
#37 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 12:28:08 AM(UTC)
Best bet for now is to go back to FM6. They don't play their own games and if not that, their eyes do not work properly and don't register what lighting, reflections and shadows actually look like in the real world or even a reasonably believable looking virtual world.

Where in the world did they get the idea that the car's windscreens in FV from the inside should take a greyish/whitish semi-transparent surface reflection (as if there's tracing paper glued to the windows)? This has got to be a cruel joke and they're probably kicking back, smoking doobies, laughing really hard while imagining the looks on our faces.

Edited by user Saturday, October 28, 2017 12:28:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#38 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 1:19:35 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ArCaDe 360 Go to Quoted Post

1) T10 finally adds true active lightning coming out of the headlights! (no cosmetic only like it is now)

They project light onto the track and walls at night. And when cars pass in front of them their shadows get cast upon the walls, creating quite the distracting dance in some corners. That's pretty gosh darn active.
Welcome to the Hyperbolic Whine Chamber. If you cry hard enough you might get your pouter level over 9000.
#39 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 1:57:43 AM(UTC)
...didn't want you cheating in night races

Evidenced by Brightness adjustment vanishing at the same time night racing appeared.
#40 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 4:13:04 AM(UTC)
One of the many reasons I am hating this game and just can’t bring myself to play it at all. I want my $100 back. :(
#41 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 4:20:42 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: dreampage Go to Quoted Post
It's because the lighting model is adjusted for HDR displays. If you don't have an HDR screen you can't see the full spectrum of the picture. Not enough brightness in the sunshine and not enough details in the dark. I agree that on regular screens the game can look dark and washed out, especially in cloudy weather. The track surface and the environment can be surprisingly dark even if it's midday but cloudy. You need an HDR display to fully appreciate the graphics.

The lighting model is not the problem. The problem is that they've not included an exposure boost feature.

The only thing they need to do is include an "exposure" controller so that you can amplify the light intensity window. GT has that and Project Cars 2 have that. Just because you don't have an HDR display, the lighting model still works the same - it just displays a more narrow bandwidth on a regular display, but it's totally possible to move that bandwidth up and down for more or less bright images overall (without washing them out mind you). This is how old school HDR rendering has worked for the previous decade.
#42 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 12:00:46 PM(UTC)

I really don't get these complaints about this game being too dark, it looks correct to me and pretty much what driving a real car at night looks like. If anything some tracks are too bright like Dubai. The only thing i can assume is that your TV's need to be setup properly.

Turn any eco mode off and turn your backlight to max, then set your brightness / contrast based on that. after that adjust the games brightness/HDR settings the way it explains, you should then have the brightness at the right level.

The only thing I noticed that was weird was the FH3 4k update made the game noticeably darker but I just went to options and upped the brightness and HDR settings a little and BAM! back to normal.
Does anyone have any screenshots or photos that show what you are talking about? There are thousands of videos on youtube that show that the game is perfectly fine. There is only one that shows it's too dark but they are driving an F1 car at night which has no headlights which is just stupid. If this game was too dark as people are saying then surely there would be some evidence on youtube somewhere.

Originally Posted by: Jace Juggernaut Go to Quoted Post
...didn't want you cheating in night races

Evidenced by Brightness adjustment vanishing at the same time night racing appeared.

You can't access the brightness option in the pre-race menu or during a race. You have to go back to the main menu then settings.
 2 users liked this post.
#43 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:49:40 PM(UTC)
Most of us don't have HDR sets
This game is actually no fun and ruined by this issue.
The in car view is just too dull. The dashboard is far to dark.
And no comment or patch from turn 10.

I just cannot play this game the way it is.

I'd much rather a more basic lighting system if it meant I could actually see the game properly.

Forza 6 is more fun to play than this
 3 users liked this post.
#44 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:01:15 AM(UTC)
Few comparison screenshots between Forza 7 and Forza 6 Apex (both on PC): https://imgur.com/a/teuwg

edit: added screenshots of the design areas from F7 and F6 (both Xbox One S)

Edited by user Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:34:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users liked this post.
#45 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:30:49 AM(UTC)
The game is definitely too dark, the highlights dont pop enough, it feels often dimmed down. I think the lighting system in place works probably better if you would not have dynamic moving clouds or dynamic weather. They dialed back on shadows and light sources in order to not get too long shadows i assume. Thats the price to pay for native 4k on the X and dynamic weather and a little bit of dynamic time of day on some tracks.
You see how Project Cars simulates full time of day cycle and way more weather effects but at the same time many of the games assets dont look good at all. So there is a compromise to be made as long as we have to endure the current console generation.
On the other hand i feel that GT Sport handled this better. If you can't really pull off dynamic time of day and mad weather effects then just bake in the lighting, give us per track 6-7 different times of day and we then go from there. As we can all see, lighting and HDR in GT Sport are unparalleled and thats because of that. They did not want to compromise graphics for dynamic time of day or weather. I don't know about you, but for me it works better than the half-approach of FM7 and i feel more satisfyed seeing the light sources there, adding to the atmosphere.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:39:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#46 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 1:39:14 PM(UTC)
It is cockpit. dashboard view problem. Completely goes away in bonnet view.
It's autoexposure problem, Assetto Corsa had it long time ago, so Project Cars1. But they all seemed to figure out how to deal with it. Hopefully Turn 10 is listening and will do something about that as switching to bonnet view greatly diminishes immersion, making it feel more like NFS.

Edited by user Sunday, March 18, 2018 1:40:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#47 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 7:58:46 AM(UTC)
Seems like this affects only certain times of day, tracks. Late evening, dusk hours, Bathurst.
The only way to drive is switching to bonnet view, which is much brighter and makes dusk look like dusk, not like murky water.

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2018 7:59:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#48 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 12:09:53 PM(UTC)
Forza is a dull game because the lightning doesn't work properly.
It's a shame because the reflections in FM6 were good.

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2018 12:12:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#49 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 2:56:37 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: andrOOrdna Go to Quoted Post
Few comparison screenshots between Forza 7 and Forza 6 Apex (both on PC): https://imgur.com/a/teuwg

I can tell you for a fact that my game is not that dark, maybe it's an HDR thing but I can see much more detail in the tunnels than those screenshots show.

If the game is too dark goto options>video then adjusts the brightness slider, it goes really high to the point were everything is completely washed out with white if that is what people want.
Those shots were taken on PC, does that not have a brightness or gamma setting?

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2018 4:05:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#50 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 2:46:18 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TakedownKG1 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: andrOOrdna Go to Quoted Post

I can tell you for a fact that my game is not that dark, maybe it's an HDR thing but I can see much more detail in the tunnels than those screenshots show.

If the game is too dark goto options>video then adjusts the brightness slider, it goes really high to the point were everything is completely washed out with white if that is what people want.
Those shots were taken on PC, does that not have a brightness or gamma setting?

PC does not have Gamma or Brightness adjustments.
And I don't think that either will fix the problem as on sunny day everything looks just perfect in any view. It is driver and cockpit views that get affected when overall scene brightness falls down.
Of course with brightness slider it would be possible to compensate for individual race but that would essentially require back and forth tinkering based on weather, time of the day.

Edited by user Monday, March 26, 2018 2:46:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 Pages123PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error