This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
37 Pages<<3233343536>>PrevNext
Rank: Racing Permit
#826 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:31:38 AM(UTC)
1986 Mac Tools Merkur XR4Ti sounds a lot better than it used to. Forza must have fixed it in the update. I'm concerned why they didn't fix other sounds as well, has anyone noticed sound fixes for other cars?

Edited by user Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:32:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: D-Class Racing License
 2 users liked this post.
#827 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 11:00:10 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: dnizz23 Go to Quoted Post
Idk how a 14.99 game (the grand tour) has way better accurate engine sounds than forza. It’s not even close. I played the game for 30 minutes and the cars I used 918 spyder mclaren P1 the laferrari and the Ferrari 488 sounded amazing and so accurate. Idk why forza can’t do this. The sounds are way better in the grand tour game. Forza please try to correct this.


I saw gameplay footage of the grand tour game and the car sound accuracy caught me by surprise!

Forza is a first-party developer with massive funding coming from MS - they really have no excuse in 2019. I'm not concerned with how many cars they attempt to shove into one game - ALL of them deserve accurate sound at least, if not unique handling characteristics. What's stopping them from upping a few gigs on the game file size and adding detailed, distinct and accurate sounds?

It's a shame because some car sounds in FM7 are really above par - but that audio bliss doesn't carry across the board - which I so desperately would like them to implement.

I played FM6 to death yesterday and the pitch, tone, dynamic bass and midrange, frequencies, etc. sound just right. There's no ear fatigue when you turn the volume up - just powerful car sound that vibrates through your seat and goes through your chest! Pretty much what you'd expect form an actual car. Up your game Fm7 - now is the time!
Rank: Driver's Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#828 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 10:28:44 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: xBSxChadSpeed Go to Quoted Post
Already a 33 page thread about the abysmal, inaccurate, and poor engine/exhaust sounds in FM 7. Since they haven’t responded once, and now a similar thread is going on for FH4, it’s clear they are not concerned with this issue.



We can hope the delay to fm8 will be because they want to improve the sound in this game. Though, at this point, maybe it's taking a lot longer than anticipated? This is frustrating.
Rank: B-Class Racing License
#829 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2019 4:34:46 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: opencamswrx Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: dnizz23 Go to Quoted Post
Idk how a 14.99 game (the grand tour) has way better accurate engine sounds than forza. It’s not even close. I played the game for 30 minutes and the cars I used 918 spyder mclaren P1 the laferrari and the Ferrari 488 sounded amazing and so accurate. Idk why forza can’t do this. The sounds are way better in the grand tour game. Forza please try to correct this.


I saw gameplay footage of the grand tour game and the car sound accuracy caught me by surprise!

Forza is a first-party developer with massive funding coming from MS - they really have no excuse in 2019. I'm not concerned with how many cars they attempt to shove into one game - ALL of them deserve accurate sound at least, if not unique handling characteristics. What's stopping them from upping a few gigs on the game file size and adding detailed, distinct and accurate sounds?

It's a shame because some car sounds in FM7 are really above par - but that audio bliss doesn't carry across the board - which I so desperately would like them to implement.

I played FM6 to death yesterday and the pitch, tone, dynamic bass and midrange, frequencies, etc. sound just right. There's no ear fatigue when you turn the volume up - just powerful car sound that vibrates through your seat and goes through your chest! Pretty much what you'd expect form an actual car. Up your game Fm7 - now is the time!


I did the same thing a week ago. What a huge difference! The Supra in FM6 sounded almost as good as it sounds in GT Sport, even had a little more turbo spool sound. Bass throughout the rev range, exactly what we are asking for. Such a huge leap backwards. I do hope FM8 is improving this, but I think T10 is too wrapped up in quantity over quality these days. If they could just see the light and realize they already had sound 90% there, and improve from that it would be great.
7 Forzas, 4 VIP/Ultimate editions, 1 refund. Such a shame🤦‍♂️
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#830 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 4:00:53 PM(UTC)
new update but car sounds are still terrible. :-/
Rank: B-Class Racing License
#831 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2019 12:54:15 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: AssistedKnave7 Go to Quoted Post
new update but car sounds are still terrible. :-/


Sounds like it broke other things as well. If they can get the sound better I would consider trying it again. Until then, not getting my money.
7 Forzas, 4 VIP/Ultimate editions, 1 refund. Such a shame🤦‍♂️
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#832 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:15:09 AM(UTC)
Chad, give Project Cars 2 a go. I think you will be blown away by the sound engineering. Lock yourself inside your gaming room, dim the lights and blast the sound on your amp! What a TREAT!!

Dirt Rally is also quite brilliant. Everything sounds and feels like *real cars*
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 3 users liked this post.
#833 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 1:54:15 AM(UTC)
[Mod Edit - thread merged - MM]

Is the team ever improving car sound design/engineering?
Sorry, but I'm not enjoying the fact that the game's visuals and gameplay are on par, while the sound design was borrowed from a last-gen game running on TV speakers.

Why can't you guys at T10 add proper LFE effects to the cars? They sound weak and uninspiring. The worst offenders are the cars with tin can cockpit effects - FYI, please look at YT videos: the FXX-K, P1 GTR, Zonda R or Vulcan do not sound completely hollow, they have cockpit insulation and actually have a very pronounced and prominent exhaust/engine rumble from the driver's perspective. Why does the new drift Mustang have a tiny hollow sound? 800+HP cars do not sound like this in real life.

third party and crowed-funded games have far better sound than FM7. When is the mega audio update patch coming?

So disappointed with the developer's indifference, honestly!

Edited by user Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:48:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: C-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#834 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 7:48:42 PM(UTC)
Most of the cars sound nothing like their real life counter parts.

Also we need an option that allows us to have the best sounds regardless of what view we use as the bumper and bonnet view have terrible sound even compared to normal.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 3 users liked this post.
#835 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 11:38:40 PM(UTC)
That is a good suggestions for sure - I'd love to see an LFE volume option and separate volume option for transmission whine (it's beyond annoying), and possible one to lower the track's "whoosh" effects and nose-diving helicopters. Also the rumble strips could use less bass.

Still, my main gripe is cars sounding almost nothing like the actual versions. The exhaust sounds especially are not convincing at all. PCARS2, Dirt Rally - these two are pretty much my go-to games for sound accuracy/benchmarking. And you don't even have to be around the actual cars to run comparisons - a few YT videos, and it's right there. These two games are spot on.

They did a decent job with their past Forza games. What a waste of AAA potential. I'm not so excited for the new Xbox anymore because I got the current gen one after someone recommended Forza.

The least you can expect from a racing game - no matter how casual or hardcore - are true to life car sounds. We're not in the 1990s anymore - console hardware has progressed a lot, there's just no excuse.
Rank: B-Class Racing License
 4 users liked this post.
#836 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2019 5:40:49 AM(UTC)
There is a huge 30+ page thread here about the unacceptable sound, they have never responded. The FH4 came out and has the same issues, possibly worse, and also a huge thread with no response. I believe they tried to skimp on the sound to allow for all those cars and trucks. I’m not sure we can expect great, unique, sound and physics for each car if they continue to have soooo many cars. It doesn’t appear that they really can change it being that it’s in 2 games in the Forza series now, and neither have been fixed. Our best hope is the time they are taking for FM8 will be used to completely rework the audio for cars. I can’t play either of the current Forza titles due to the horrible sound, just totally breaks the immersion. Thread will likely be recommended for wish list or merged with the gigantic one that still gets zero responses from Turn 10.
7 Forzas, 4 VIP/Ultimate editions, 1 refund. Such a shame🤦‍♂️
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#837 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2019 3:04:27 PM(UTC)
As far as I am concerned, the sounds are consistent. Good. It means that in pretty much every car that I drive regularly, I know when to change gear without looking at the rev counter. That is all that matters. I'm too busy racing to notice whether the cars sound realistic or not. If it was a Sunday Driver simulator where you take your 800hp car to the park to feed the ducks, I would notice, But it isn't. So I don't.

Edited by user Sunday, March 24, 2019 3:05:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: Driver's License
#838 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 11:33:10 AM(UTC)
One thing they added which everybody is missing out on is engine growl. There’s a lot of LFE’s going on there with the low frequency beating that they put into the engine notes. Audition the Zonda R cockpit IRL and in the game; you’ll realise that despite the fact that the higher frequency sounds are missing, everything else is there and sounds spot on. You can’t really hear the higher frequencies IRL so they got away with the slight inaccuracy, but you can see what they’re trying to get at with the new sound design. The growl of the V12 is what they’re highlighting; listen for it in both onboards and you’ll see it’s definitely there. Another good example is the Mercedes C32 Amg. I used to drive a C320 daily and I can tell you the engine characteristics are the same; listen for the growl of the V6. They’re trying to add more engine sound characteristics that you would experience in the cockpit view in real life. While some cars don’t sound spot on in the chase cam, they sound spot in in the cockpit. They’re heading in the direction of new LFE’s simulating engine growl. Also, the sounds are more natural than in other games while having more dynamic range. This results in a more accurate high end with more depth, and less saturation from low mids. The sounds have plenty of bass. The LF oscillations they put into the sounds are more there then they’ve ever been. Once you see what they’re trying to simulate (and they simulated it perfectly), you’ll see what step they’re trying to take in sound. Engine growl people engine growl!
Rank: S-Class Racing License
#839 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 12:43:00 PM(UTC)
When you have 800+ cars, this isn't an easy fix. Modelling car sounds is not as easy as modelling a car itself. If you want accurate car sounds, the Turn 10 team would have to get completely stock cars, load them up with microphones & sound equipment & actually drive the cars. Lt only that but they'd have to rev the heck out of them, bang the rev limiter, miss shifts, engine brake, etc etc to get the most accurate sound. Can you really see car owners or manufacturers allowing Turn 10 to do that? Especially for rare or extremely valuable cars? Can you feasibly see this happening for 800+ cars? No.

What Turn 10 can do is this. Give us per car sliders to where we can alter the sound of the car itself. This is what we really need to be able to adjust.

1. Cockpit Insulation Strength
2. Forced Induction Volume
3. Transmission Volume
4. Backfire Volume
5. Engine Bass
6. Engine Treble
7. Engine Volume

This is just for cars bear in mind, not other sound aspects of the game.
Rank: Racing Permit
#840 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 2:42:04 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EpicEvan777 Go to Quoted Post
When you have 800+ cars, this isn't an easy fix. Modelling car sounds is not as easy as modelling a car itself. If you want accurate car sounds, the Turn 10 team would have to get completely stock cars, load them up with microphones & sound equipment & actually drive the cars. Lt only that but they'd have to rev the heck out of them, bang the rev limiter, miss shifts, engine brake, etc etc to get the most accurate sound. Can you really see car owners or manufacturers allowing Turn 10 to do that? Especially for rare or extremely valuable cars? Can you feasibly see this happening for 800+ cars? No.

What Turn 10 can do is this. Give us per car sliders to where we can alter the sound of the car itself. This is what we really need to be able to adjust.

1. Cockpit Insulation Strength
2. Forced Induction Volume
3. Transmission Volume
4. Backfire Volume
5. Engine Bass
6. Engine Treble
7. Engine Volume

This is just for cars bear in mind, not other sound aspects of the game.


I disagree. You’re telling me they downgrade the sounds from forza 6 when they were just porting the audio over? It was getting bad in horizon 3 and 7 completely ruined them. Why did they completely downgrade the sound? They obviously had the correct files from 5, 6, horizon 2, and a handful of cars from 3. Why did they completely ruin them? Even the ultra rare classics sounded spot on. The ones you said manufacturers wouldn’t let them record. There was a thread here a few months ago before it was locked where a guy took an in depth look into the sound and came out with the conclusion that it was basically done by an amateur because the audio levels, design, and bass were completely butchered and the mixing was all over the place. He equated the sound design to an EDM mixer.

In forza 7 and horizon 3 and 4, each engine basically has the exact same sound cue with a different pitch and it sounds awful. Just look at any 4 banger. It’s a complete downgrade. There is no other way of putting it. Audio could’ve been dragged over but it wasn’t for some odd reason and we were left with terrible audio, and nothing will change for the next forzas. Turn10 grew complacent.

Have you not noticed the series as a whole has been getting downgraded since 4 and horizon 2? Hopefully that will change since greenewalt in the last stream said they’re starting work on the next “project” and they want the community to be apart of the way the game is built and designed. So get those “fix the sounds” comments ready to go when the open the floodgates for their concept phase for the next gen game.
Rank: A-Class Racing License
#841 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 5:24:25 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MikeJoe1990 Go to Quoted Post
One thing they added which everybody is missing out on is engine growl. There’s a lot of LFE’s going on there with the low frequency beating that they put into the engine notes. Audition the Zonda R cockpit IRL and in the game; you’ll realise that despite the fact that the higher frequency sounds are missing, everything else is there and sounds spot on. You can’t really hear the higher frequencies IRL so they got away with the slight inaccuracy, but you can see what they’re trying to get at with the new sound design. The growl of the V12 is what they’re highlighting; listen for it in both onboards and you’ll see it’s definitely there. Another good example is the Mercedes C32 Amg. I used to drive a C320 daily and I can tell you the engine characteristics are the same; listen for the growl of the V6. They’re trying to add more engine sound characteristics that you would experience in the cockpit view in real life. While some cars don’t sound spot on in the chase cam, they sound spot in in the cockpit. They’re heading in the direction of new LFE’s simulating engine growl. Also, the sounds are more natural than in other games while having more dynamic range. This results in a more accurate high end with more depth, and less saturation from low mids. The sounds have plenty of bass. The LF oscillations they put into the sounds are more there then they’ve ever been. Once you see what they’re trying to simulate (and they simulated it perfectly), you’ll see what step they’re trying to take in sound. Engine growl people engine growl!

Bass? Low frequency? I want to know what game you’re playing because it’s been missing since FM4. The only low frequency in this game are the curbs and the stupid confetti canons.
Rank: Driver's License
#842 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 8:08:03 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: gtFOOTw Go to Quoted Post

Bass? Low frequency? I want to know what game you’re playing because it’s been missing since FM4. The only low frequency in this game are the curbs and the stupid confetti canons.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KccRq9p7rX8

They’re using sound design by layering sounds together to simulate engine characteristics. These characteristics are not simulated in any other game except assetto corsa which doesn’t have much resolution. Low frequency effects are used more in this game than just about anyother (asseto corsa also uses them but the sounds lack resolution/dynamic range). The engine notes are also really accurate in FM6, but there’s more to engine sound than just note. Forza is aiming to bring a whole new experience with this new sound design method.
Rank: B-Class Racing License
#843 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 5:10:24 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MikeJoe1990 Go to Quoted Post
One thing they added which everybody is missing out on is engine growl. There’s a lot of LFE’s going on there with the low frequency beating that they put into the engine notes. Audition the Zonda R cockpit IRL and in the game; you’ll realise that despite the fact that the higher frequency sounds are missing, everything else is there and sounds spot on. You can’t really hear the higher frequencies IRL so they got away with the slight inaccuracy, but you can see what they’re trying to get at with the new sound design. The growl of the V12 is what they’re highlighting; listen for it in both onboards and you’ll see it’s definitely there. Another good example is the Mercedes C32 Amg. I used to drive a C320 daily and I can tell you the engine characteristics are the same; listen for the growl of the V6. They’re trying to add more engine sound characteristics that you would experience in the cockpit view in real life. While some cars don’t sound spot on in the chase cam, they sound spot in in the cockpit. They’re heading in the direction of new LFE’s simulating engine growl. Also, the sounds are more natural than in other games while having more dynamic range. This results in a more accurate high end with more depth, and less saturation from low mids. The sounds have plenty of bass. The LF oscillations they put into the sounds are more there then they’ve ever been. Once you see what they’re trying to simulate (and they simulated it perfectly), you’ll see what step they’re trying to take in sound. Engine growl people engine growl!


I hope you also realize the Zonda R is a bad example to use as it has the same sound file as the Lamborghini aventador and they have two totally different engines in real life.
Rank: Driver's License
 1 user liked this post.
#844 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 5:17:56 AM(UTC)
Dunno why you're comparing to PC2...that has awful sounds, especially engine sounds. Stuff like RaceRoom and the last two Dirt games are the standard IMO.
Rank: Driver's Permit
#845 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 9:16:11 AM(UTC)
There could be any number of reasons that the sound is bad. But you have to consider everything and not jump to conclusions. Its not just you driving in the race. You have 20 cars making noise next to each other. They could have tweaked the engine noises with this in mind specifically for gameplay, so that you can actually hear the cars next to you and you dont just hear a constant blur of white noise. Alternatively, if the frequency of an engine was lower, maybe it was too hard to hear other cars in your proximity while driving.

Ideally, we would want deep, realistic engine sounds. Not high pitched squealing engines. But this is a game. I will take gameplay and quality of life over hyper realism. You could make the same type of argument for bump and contact physics while racing online. "If I bump somebody at 70mph, they should NOT be able to regain control of their car. They should be flying off the track!" Sometimes you have to make decisions for "the greater good" of the game.

But lets be real, you cant have everything. The sound was likely deemed not as important as the visuals and gameplay and they didnt invest as much into it. Or maybe they just did a bad job. Why didnt they port over the sounds from forza 6? Who knows? once again, it could be any number of reasons. I think the game is decent overall and the sounds dont completely ruin it for me.
Rank: Driver's License
#846 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 9:26:39 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: sTReetBurner09 Go to Quoted Post


I hope you also realize the Zonda R is a bad example to use as it has the same sound file as the Lamborghini aventador and they have two totally different engines in real life.


They actually sound different if you listen to both cars back to back. They both sound inaccurate in chase cam and spot on in the cockpit. The zonda v12 has a growl that’s much louder, but there’s also a growl to the Lamborghini v12. They sound similar, but it’s not the same sound file. They basically have the same engine irl which is why they sound alike (high displacement naturally aspirated V12). The apollo IE also sounds like both cars irl. They don’t sound the same but they sound similar. Their engines aren’t that different, they’re naturally aspirated V12’s that rev the same. Also, the Apollo ie’s engine is sourced from the f12 berlinetta it turns out, which is pretty cool.
Rank: Racing Permit
#847 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 11:15:48 AM(UTC)
Definitely could be better and is more immersive when it is 100 percent on - point - I do agree other games have good sounds both in replay as well as the other in car views etc. I do want more realism as it puts the fear and unpredictable aspect into racing. but I don't think it needs to be forced on everyone. Also I agree - the time to map all the sounds to the cars is pretty intense and very labor intensive. Not saying they shouldn't do it - but I think it would take quite a bit of time and money. They would have some serious bragging rights if they did it however.



Chrrz
OneSlowZZ
OneSlowZZ
Rank: S-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#848 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 6:37:43 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: xX6skymonkey6Xx Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: EpicEvan777 Go to Quoted Post
When you have 800+ cars, this isn't an easy fix. Modelling car sounds is not as easy as modelling a car itself. If you want accurate car sounds, the Turn 10 team would have to get completely stock cars, load them up with microphones & sound equipment & actually drive the cars. Lt only that but they'd have to rev the heck out of them, bang the rev limiter, miss shifts, engine brake, etc etc to get the most accurate sound. Can you really see car owners or manufacturers allowing Turn 10 to do that? Especially for rare or extremely valuable cars? Can you feasibly see this happening for 800+ cars? No.

What Turn 10 can do is this. Give us per car sliders to where we can alter the sound of the car itself. This is what we really need to be able to adjust.

1. Cockpit Insulation Strength
2. Forced Induction Volume
3. Transmission Volume
4. Backfire Volume
5. Engine Bass
6. Engine Treble
7. Engine Volume

This is just for cars bear in mind, not other sound aspects of the game.


I disagree. You’re telling me they downgrade the sounds from forza 6 when they were just porting the audio over? It was getting bad in horizon 3 and 7 completely ruined them. Why did they completely downgrade the sound? They obviously had the correct files from 5, 6, horizon 2, and a handful of cars from 3. Why did they completely ruin them? Even the ultra rare classics sounded spot on. The ones you said manufacturers wouldn’t let them record. There was a thread here a few months ago before it was locked where a guy took an in depth look into the sound and came out with the conclusion that it was basically done by an amateur because the audio levels, design, and bass were completely butchered and the mixing was all over the place. He equated the sound design to an EDM mixer.

In forza 7 and horizon 3 and 4, each engine basically has the exact same sound cue with a different pitch and it sounds awful. Just look at any 4 banger. It’s a complete downgrade. There is no other way of putting it. Audio could’ve been dragged over but it wasn’t for some odd reason and we were left with terrible audio, and nothing will change for the next forzas. Turn10 grew complacent.

Have you not noticed the series as a whole has been getting downgraded since 4 and horizon 2? Hopefully that will change since greenewalt in the last stream said they’re starting work on the next “project” and they want the community to be apart of the way the game is built and designed. So get those “fix the sounds” comments ready to go when the open the floodgates for their concept phase for the next gen game.

They did not completely downgrade all the car sounds in Forza Motorsport 7 like you're making out. Far from it. Some cars got, especially race cars, actually got significant upgraded thanks to some new layers added to the sound, mainly the new transmission sound. Yes some cars got downgraded. Why? I can't answer that because I simply do not know. However a lot of cars got a big upgrade. One car that is stunning to listen to in-game is the BMW V12 LMR. That car sounds fantastic in FM7 & there's a lot of others that do too.

My original post that you quoted is mainly directed towards users who say, "how hard it can be to model accurate car sounds?!?" the answer is very.

Of course I'd like better car sounds as well. I'm hoping that the sound patches that have been coming for FH4 do eventually get introduced in FM7 in a content update. Can I see it happening? No, sadly I don't. I'm being realistic. There needs to be a focus on things more important than sounds honestly, like the race regulations.
Rank: B-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#849 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2019 2:04:52 AM(UTC)
Well it sounds like the new update is going to change some of the sound for V12 cars, to make them sound “different”, as well as some other cars. No mention of the TV like audio frequencies for the cars, no mention of adding in those missing low frequencies that all cars lack. Guess we will see after the update if they are headed in the right direction.
7 Forzas, 4 VIP/Ultimate editions, 1 refund. Such a shame🤦‍♂️
Rank: Racing Permit
 1 user liked this post.
#850 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2019 9:57:18 AM(UTC)
Nope, it made the sounds a lot worse *sigh*
37 Pages<<3233343536>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error