This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
43 Pages<<414243Prev
 1 user liked this post.
#1051 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 11:44:33 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: teksenic Go to Quoted Post
I don't really care much about the exhaust tones. I just want the engineering to be fixed so all cars are in line with the R8 update that we got a while back. I want this so that it's not so jarring when I get out of my R8 and into something else that should be just as loud, or louder. I want all cars to have the depth/dynamic range and width that the R8 has. That's it.

A number of racing games get the R8 sound right, even Gran Turismo on the old PS3 did. The car in Horizon 4 sounds pretty similar to what it does in real life. I actually wonder if Audi insists on this when licencing it.

4 users liked this post.
#1052 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:26:04 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MikeJoe1990 Go to Quoted Post

They all sound similar irl too if you get over the fact that they’re NA V12’s. Lamborghini aventadors, Mclaren F1’s, Laferrari’s, the MC12 corsa, the Zonda R, the Apollo ie. I listened to them all after looking into these sounds and they all sound similar; AND I don’t think I was the only one who thought the aventador sounded like the Enzo when it first came out. The SV sounds like a Mclaren F1. I love NA V12’s too, but they all have a distinct characteristic that makes them sound alike. It’s just like the other cylinder configurations.

Going to have to disagree with you there, big time. I could tell you what’s a Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren or Pagani/AMG V12 without seeing the car, easily... unless they’re heavily modified, in which case it would be much more difficult, without the manufacturer’s exhaust note tuning.

Yes there is a V12 characteristic, just like V10s... an underlying note that a good ear can hear. But to say the Aventador sounded like an Enzo sounds absolutely crazy to me. Lambo V12s do not sound like Ferrari V12s at all.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:26:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1053 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:36:53 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FM sheep Go to Quoted Post

They all sound similar irl too if you get over the fact that they’re NA V12’s. Lamborghini aventadors, Mclaren F1’s, Laferrari’s, the MC12 corsa, the Zonda R, the Apollo ie. I listened to them all after looking into these sounds and they all sound similar; AND I don’t think I was the only one who thought the aventador sounded like the Enzo when it first came out. The SV sounds like a Mclaren F1. I love NA V12’s too, but they all have a distinct characteristic that makes them sound alike. It’s just like the other cylinder configurations.
Similar, but not exact. let's just go back and talk about the sound in game, cause they messed that up real hard. if you like talking about the distinct characteristic of engines, no they don't care about that in the game. They got a V6 that sounds like an I6 (Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio), V6 with V8 sound (Hoonictruck), A V8 sound like a V6 (Maserati GT)

Yah what they did with most at launch is just gross. The updates we've gotten tho are really really good ( aside from the R34 that is. Idk what happened there) and I hope they continue to do so. I gave the 2 new Minis a second listen, and although they do have the right stereo width, they're not weighty enough imho. There's so much inconsistency in this game it makes my head spin. I really don't know how they could with good conscience release this with the audio as bad as it is. Just boggles my mind.
 1 user liked this post.
#1054 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:49:16 AM(UTC)
Devs come on already. I’ve been waiting since release for the poor sounds to be fixed and they are still plaguing the games experience and quality badly.

Listen to us please :(
#1055 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 9:58:44 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: OnePoint21GWs Go to Quoted Post

Going to have to disagree with you there, big time. I could tell you what’s a Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren or Pagani/AMG V12 without seeing the car, easily... unless they’re heavily modified, in which case it would be much more difficult, without the manufacturer’s exhaust note tuning.

Yes there is a V12 characteristic, just like V10s... an underlying note that a good ear can hear. But to say the Aventador sounded like an Enzo sounds absolutely crazy to me. Lambo V12s do not sound like Ferrari V12s at all.

The new Lamborghini V12 sounds very similar to the Enzo V12 if you listen to them back to back. That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard the aventador for the first time, it’s hard to miss. Both of these cars are similar to the Mclaren f1. The laferrari really does sound similar to the Apollo ie, and MC12 corsa, and the Zonda R.

The exhaust doesn’t change everything about the sound. It just gives the base sound an engine makes a certain sonic characteristic. All of the characteristics that an engine produces are hard to replicate 100 percent. If anything this new sound engine has shed light on how hard it is to replicate sounds for any game. The sounds are right, but they’re lacking immersion in chase cam. The low mid saturation that gives you fullness of sound in the 300 hz range isn’t emphasized. Distortion making the cars feel loud is missing. These are things that previous forza titles had, these are the things that immerse you in a game from chase cam.

The sounds are right however, just not every characteristic is there. (Aside from the sounds that are obviously wrong like the p1 etc.)
#1056 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 10:26:26 AM(UTC)
Guys it's pointless to post on this thread because the devs won't do anything. Doesn't matter if the sounds are accurate or not, they don't care about what kind of sounds we actually want. They don't care much about our opinions on this thread either. In the Series 9 Livestream they literally told us to shut the f up but in a more formal way of course.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 14, 2019 10:27:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1057 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 12:44:26 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Mike FH V8 Go to Quoted Post
Guys it's pointless to post on this thread because the devs won't do anything. Doesn't matter if the sounds are accurate or not, they don't care about what kind of sounds we actually want. They don't care much about our opinions on this thread either. In the Series 9 Livestream they literally told us to shut the f up but in a more formal way of course.

Seems that way unfortunately... maybe... idk. I'm going to continue doing my best to rock the boat tho cos as an audio engineer I must. It is my duty. The community deserves better than what they're giving. Especially after teasing us with several great sounding cars a while back.
#1058 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:02:12 AM(UTC)

The new Lamborghini V12 sounds very similar to the Enzo V12 if you listen to them back to back. That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard the aventador for the first time, it’s hard to miss. Both of these cars are similar to the Mclaren f1. The laferrari really does sound similar to the Apollo ie, and MC12 corsa, and the Zonda R.

The exhaust doesn’t change everything about the sound. It just gives the base sound an engine makes a certain sonic characteristic. All of the characteristics that an engine produces are hard to replicate 100 percent. If anything this new sound engine has shed light on how hard it is to replicate sounds for any game. The sounds are right, but they’re lacking immersion in chase cam. The low mid saturation that gives you fullness of sound in the 300 hz range isn’t emphasized. Distortion making the cars feel loud is missing. These are things that previous forza titles had, these are the things that immerse you in a game from chase cam.

The sounds are right however, just not every characteristic is there. (Aside from the sounds that are obviously wrong like the p1 etc.)

I believe you never herd any of these cars in real life because, if you did, you would not write nonsense that LaF sound similar to Zonda R. I even doubt that you compared the sounds on YT.
And my inner me believes that you are trolling.

Edited by user Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:19:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1059 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 1:22:10 AM(UTC)
I have many times at car meets and exhibitions - they do not sound alike at all. I cannot imagine how anyone who has heard or driven these cars IRL can defend the game's questionable car audio engineering choices.
#1060 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:31:16 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Clonedemned Go to Quoted Post

I believe you never herd any of these cars in real life because, if you did, you would not write nonsense that LaF sound similar to Zonda R. I even doubt that you compared the sounds on YT.
And my inner me believes that you are trolling.

Here’s my reference just so you can audition on your own.

Zonda R @ :57 seconds-1:03 seconds
https://m.youtube.com/wa...v=uLGa2OwQkSM&t=62s
Zonda R Monza (with reverberation doppler effect)@ 1:45-1:52
https://m.youtube.com/wa...=XohBdgjdtgA&t=114s

MC12 corsa @ 5:19-21 seconds. Listen to the first gear change, even the cockpit sounds similar to the Zonda R if you watch 5:30- about 5:50 or so. There’s a reverb doppler effect but if you catch the acceleration before the gear change you can hear the similarity. It also sounds like the Zonda R off the throttle if you keep watching (the exhaust).
https://m.youtube.com/wa...=OsTluPlj4xc&t=351s

Laferrari @ 3:20-3:26 or so. He pushes it a little in 2nd gear, you can really hear the similarity.
https://m.youtube.com/wa...=ay3jyGQY56E&t=207s

I’m sure in real life hearing something like a Zonda R would be difficult seeing as the thing produces so much sound pressure. Your ears would be in pain if you heard it up close it’s so loud! (130 dB I believe? Correct me if I’m wrong). There’d be a lot of distortion from the loudness of the vehicle alone, and maybe from your ear because the human ear can’t handle it. I think what they’re looking for when they mic these things is direct sound, not distortion or ambient reverberations. That’s what people look for when mic’ing cars for editorials, and top gear etc, and why they sound alike in YouTube.

Edited by user Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:33:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1061 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:45:40 AM(UTC)
While exhaust note accuracy would be nice to have, the main concern here is how the majority of these cars are engineered. Very mono interior with little to no low end. Listen to how Asetto Corsa Competizione is engineered cos that's proper. Race room is another that is engineered really well. There are some cars in FH4 that are engineered really well, but the majority are just awful. I also have an issue with how lazy the cars feel. Idk of any classic V8 that takes as long as these in game do to rev down. Not just V8s either. There are plenty of instances where the cars just feel lazy. That's not cool. The new MC12 Corsa ( well, not new really. it's a 2008 ) is properly engineered. It feels great. I want every car to feel similar. There's no excuse for just being lazy as they have been.
#1062 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:49:17 AM(UTC)
Also I can hear the loop points in some V12s ( Lambo Aventador for instance ) when at full throttle. This is an annoying bug that should be fixed. It's just blatant laziness.
#1063 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:57:15 AM(UTC)
If I have to do things like set a -18dB high shelf at around 200hz to get these to sound right on my calibrated studio monitors ( Presonus Sceptre S8, PMC two two 8, Mackie HR824 MK1 ) then there's something seriously wrong. You cannot deny that.
#1064 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:23:33 AM(UTC)
While exhaust note accuracy would be nice to have, the main concern here is how the majority of these cars are engineered. Very mono interior with little to no low end. Listen to how Asetto Corsa Competizione is engineered cos that's proper. Race room is another that is engineered really well. There are some cars in FH4 that are engineered really well, but the majority are just awful. I also have an issue with how lazy the cars feel. Idk of any classic V8 that takes as long as these in game do to rev down. Not just V8s either. There are plenty of instances where the cars just feel lazy. That's not cool. The new MC12 Corsa ( well, not new really. it's a 2008 ) is properly engineered. It feels great. I want every car to feel similar. There's no excuse for just being lazy as they have been.

I agree with ACC 100% the resolution’s been updated, the sounds are better than the first, much better than forza.

Raceroom doesn’t have the resolution assuming it’s an older game. The Zonda I listened to had the engine note right, the low frequency oscillations weren’t addressed properly (they’re there though, but no where near as pronounced as they should be).

My point being it’s hard for a game to get everything about sound right. ACC is right on the money for me though.
#1065 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:53:38 AM(UTC)

I agree with ACC 100% the resolution’s been updated, the sounds are better than the first, much better than forza.

Raceroom doesn’t have the resolution assuming it’s an older game. The Zonda I listened to had the engine note right, the low frequency oscillations weren’t addressed properly (they’re there though, but no where near as pronounced as they should be).

My point being it’s hard for a game to get everything about sound right. ACC is right on the money for me though.

Proper engineering shouldn't be as big of a factor as it is here. The mixing is awful, the imaging even worse, and the EQ is just chock full of rookie mistakes. That doesn't go for all cars, but definitely the majority.
#1066 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:55:54 AM(UTC)
This is how Vipers should sound the cabin >> https://youtu.be/FNxxr5XuKcY?t=73
#1067 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:22:12 PM(UTC)
I wanna know why this new MC12Corsa sound wasn't applied to all similar sounding cars. This thing sounds glorious. Well done.
#1068 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 2:20:27 PM(UTC)

Proper engineering shouldn't be as big of a factor as it is here. The mixing is awful, the imaging even worse, and the EQ is just chock full of rookie mistakes. That doesn't go for all cars, but definitely the majority.

Well more than half of sound production comes from the instrument (in this case the car) and the mic’ing of the instrument. EQ and Compression is only a small percentage of this process. Most imaging comes from the microphone placement, not the post production processing. If you never have to touch an EQ or compression knob then you’ve done your job as an engineer.

FM4 and 6’s sound was good but not perfect, as with horizon 1 and horizon 2. There where cars that didn’t sound right, there was room for improvement. It sounded like the path that they were taking wasn’t the right path which is why they switched to a new method of sound production. These sounds have more resolution, and less saturation (which we want) from previous titles; BUT when they get it right, the cars have more clarity (in chase cam). I love the low frequency oscillations that they put into the cockpit features. They should’ve brought up the sound design that went into the game and compared it to previous titles. That would’ve cleared things up for everybody. I think they’re mad that people are complaining, they put a lot of work into the sound.

I can’t stress enough how hard it is to deliver a true real life experience in a game. Car sounds are really complex. ACC did a great job but the question is could they do it with a 500 car roster? And could they do it in an open world setting?
#1069 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 4:29:53 PM(UTC)

Well more than half of sound production comes from the instrument (in this case the car) and the mic’ing of the instrument. EQ and Compression is only a small percentage of this process. Most imaging comes from the microphone placement, not the post production processing. If you never have to touch an EQ or compression knob then you’ve done your job as an engineer.

FM4 and 6’s sound was good but not perfect, as with horizon 1 and horizon 2. There where cars that didn’t sound right, there was room for improvement. It sounded like the path that they were taking wasn’t the right path which is why they switched to a new method of sound production. These sounds have more resolution, and less saturation (which we want) from previous titles; BUT when they get it right, the cars have more clarity (in chase cam). I love the low frequency oscillations that they put into the cockpit features. They should’ve brought up the sound design that went into the game and compared it to previous titles. That would’ve cleared things up for everybody. I think they’re mad that people are complaining, they put a lot of work into the sound.

I can’t stress enough how hard it is to deliver a true real life experience in a game. Car sounds are really complex. ACC did a great job but the question is could they do it with a 500 car roster? And could they do it in an open world setting?

They're using full range mics are they not? I don't know of a single car that has the same sound in both the interior and the exterior let alone have a low cut at around 200hz. The majority of these sound like they were engineered by a rookie edm guy. They're narrow, cut at 200hz, and have waaaaay too much upper mids and high end and waaaay too little dynamic range. I understand full well how difficult sound design is, I've been designing sounds for the better part of the last 20 years and engineering it for the last 10. I just don't understand how anyone at that studio can listen to say the Aston Martin Vanquish ( 1 of at least 500 ) 'n decide that is a viable product. All I want is for this visual feast to sound as good as it looks. There are some examples of great sound design, but the majority are just awful and need to be updated. The response we got in the last stream just does not give any sign of hope. The least they can do is take the sounds from the recent FM7 update and port those over. I know this can be done cos that's where some of these FH4 sound updates came from ( R34 for example ). So go grab all those FM7 updates and toss them in here. There's NO reason these 2 sister titles should sound any different other than the environment. Make them sound the same, just make each do different things. FM for track days, and FH for everything else.

So again, I say that all we got from the last stream talking about audio was excuses. IT'S SO HARD. Well, give the job to someone who is passionate enough to do the job right then. At the very least make effort to fix the issues that are there. Don't just shrug us off like we're a buncha idiots who don't know audio.
#1070 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:28:24 AM(UTC)
They're using full range mics are they not? I don't know of a single car that has the same sound in both the interior and the exterior let alone have a low cut at around 200hz. The majority of these sound like they were engineered by a rookie edm guy. They're narrow, cut at 200hz, and have waaaaay too much upper mids and high end and waaaay too little dynamic range. I understand full well how difficult sound design is, I've been designing sounds for the better part of the last 20 years and engineering it for the last 10. I just don't understand how anyone at that studio can listen to say the Aston Martin Vanquish ( 1 of at least 500 ) 'n decide that is a viable product. All I want is for this visual feast to sound as good as it looks. There are some examples of great sound design, but the majority are just awful and need to be updated. The response we got in the last stream just does not give any sign of hope. The least they can do is take the sounds from the recent FM7 update and port those over. I know this can be done cos that's where some of these FH4 sound updates came from ( R34 for example ). So go grab all those FM7 updates and toss them in here. There's NO reason these 2 sister titles should sound any different other than the environment. Make them sound the same, just make each do different things. FM for track days, and FH for everything else.

So again, I say that all we got from the last stream talking about audio was excuses. IT'S SO HARD. Well, give the job to someone who is passionate enough to do the job right then. At the very least make effort to fix the issues that are there. Don't just shrug us off like we're a buncha idiots who don't know audio.

I couldn’t tell from the video what microphones where used. I saw some long range microphones but I don’t know what they used for the cabin, the exhaust, or the engine. (Looks like a long range on the exhaust of the viper).

I just listened to the whole audio segment, and there’s a lot of stuff in there that you guys are missing out on. I don’t know the guys name (the guy with the glasses), but he definitely proficient in audio.

He starts off talking about finding the right cars which is the main thing about getting the desired sound. The instrument constitutes for half of the recording. He then talks a lot about the mic’ing process which is the second most important part about getting the sounds. He talks about mic position which is how to get the desired sound without having to touch the EQ. This plays a role in imaging (frequency is registered on the vertical axis). He brought up the fact that the mics used on the exhaust were getting proximity effect which means these mics are probably dynamic. They had to eq out 2-300 Hz which is where the saturation (fullness of sound) is. They still have the engine note, there’s just no “fullness of sound,” that’s being complained about due to the mics being used. Too much low mid proximity effect masks the engine note. I haven’t looked at microphones in a while but I don’t think that there are any wireless large diaphragm condenser microphones to get rid of the proximity effect. All the while keeping the saturation or fullness of sound (which is there for me). This would be a problem for any game trying to capture car sounds. It constitutes for 10 percent of the recording which isn’t much but it does apply to all game engineers. Mic placement is more important than EQ’ing which is why he talks a lot about the recording of the sounds on the stream. They had to take into context the placement of the microphones around the sound source in order to avoid washing out certain frequencies. He also talks about getting rid of the noise that the exhaust produces at high rpms. This is due to the amount of air that was blowing into the microphone from the fast moving exhaust gases.

There’s a lot in there man. Hoops they had to jump through, decibel restrictions, finding a smooth airstrip etc.

He get’s into granular synthesis (post #27) which is really really cool. He’s definitely a good sound guy, sound design is very interesting topic. It’s a must know for a professional engineer or producer.

Edited by user Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:29:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1071 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:45:43 AM(UTC)
I missed what you said about sound design I’m sorry. I hope that the proximity effect masking the sound of the engine from the exhaust helped. The game doesn’t sound heavily compressed on this end. There’s more frequency content and resolution than in previous forza titles. Forza Horizon 1 sounds like it’s capped at or below 20khz. It feels like there’s more bandwidth in horizon 4, along with a higher resolution.

Edited by user Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:48:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1072 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:19:41 PM(UTC)
I wanna know why this new MC12Corsa sound wasn't applied to all similar sounding cars. This thing sounds glorious. Well done.

Exactly. Here's the motor and vehicles it's used in:
https://en.m.wikipedia.o...iki/Ferrari_F140_engine

#1073 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 8:06:41 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: hst12 Go to Quoted Post
I don't really care much about the exhaust tones. I just want the engineering to be fixed so all cars are in line with the R8 update that we got a while back. I want this so that it's not so jarring when I get out of my R8 and into something else that should be just as loud, or louder. I want all cars to have the depth/dynamic range and width that the R8 has. That's it.

A number of racing games get the R8 sound right, even Gran Turismo on the old PS3 did. The car in Horizon 4 sounds pretty similar to what it does in real life. I actually wonder if Audi insists on this when licencing it.

If that's true then I hope all manufacturers insist on having their respective cars' audio character represented correctly before agreeing to license them in a PG/T10 game!

The American cars in the game as well as many Japanese cars sound terrible in comparison. The R8 really is a *golden* sample in my opinion. It even sounds powerful and I can feel the notes coming through my subwoofer as well.

[quote=teksenic;1095575][quote=MikeJoe1990;1095567][quote=teksenic;1095522]

Sorry, but it irks me a little every time someone says "if they didn't have so many cars to do, they'd do all of them justice."

No - I don't think so, they would still take shortcuts if there were 200 cars or so because they now have bragging rights to 30fps/4k/hdr on xbox. Great graphics and a huge car list sells racing games upfront - but car sound issues also causes many problems down the line, which is something they've been turning a blind eye to since FH3.

I believe they can do it - they have funding from MS after all and are a first-party developer. Will they do it is something I do not know - not everyone cares about car sounds the way we do on these forums. Many don't even bother checking YT vids for comparison because to them, the sounds are "what they expect' in a racing game.

This is a shame because the game has great visuals and reasonably good physics. The half-hearted car sounds is what makes me put it down every time and I actually go back to the older games which actually bring a lot more immersion and replay value because of the sounds. But that's just me.

Edited by user Sunday, May 19, 2019 8:16:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1074 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 8:13:33 AM(UTC)
*sorry, double post*

Edited by user Sunday, May 19, 2019 8:15:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1075 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 8:26:22 AM(UTC)

I'm hearing what this guy is hearing.

Edited by user Sunday, May 19, 2019 8:26:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

43 Pages<<414243Prev

Notification

Icon
Error