74 Pages1234>>PrevNext
#26 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 2:11:02 PM(UTC)
[Mod Edit - Don't - D]

Edited by user Monday, July 16, 2018 4:03:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#27 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 5:43:22 PM(UTC)
This is something Jonk posted last year regarding engine sounds. Post is here.

Quote:
The next batch of complaints about shared engine sounds, or cars that sound different when you're driving them vs Drivatars, or sound different than they did in FH2 or FM6 - these won't be changed in FH3. Those cars (and many others not called out in this thread) are using a new granular synthesis car audio model that PG has been developing for some time. This gives them the ability to even more authentically reproduce in game every rev, note, fluctuation, pop and burble from car recordings, which make extensive use of on-track as well as dyno recording sessions. Cars that use this system sound great, but the new granular audio source library isn't nearly as extensive as our full engine audio library yet. PG made the creative decision to extend the use of this technique to a number of cars with similar engine configurations. So, while they all may sound great, to many of your well-trained ears, they don't all sound "right" - we're not debating that. You're right, but this isn't going to change in FH3.

Edited by user Friday, July 20, 2018 11:21:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#28 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 6:59:20 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BabySeal363 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ti Hsien Go to Quoted Post
Whatever the engine sounds like, it almost always becomes a background drone I'm no longer paying attention to in short order.

Give the F40 a try.

::tries it in FH3 and FM7 (and The Crew 2 for giggles):: Definitely background drone material, despite the extra slight whine in FH3 (and the harsh cough which may be something to do with the transmission). I'll probably have forgotten about it by the time I hit post. There are two engine sounds I found memorable in FH3: the one in the old Toyota that looked and sounded like it was on safari, and the twin racing rotor.

Welcome to the Hyperbolic Whine Chamber. If you cry hard enough you might get your pouter level over 9000.
 1 user liked this post.
#29 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 8:12:39 AM(UTC)
Some of the exhaust notes in FH3 are just bad... the 6.2 Chevy engine swap in general sounds bad (but the 6.2 AMG swap sounds good), the Shelby GT350R doesn’t sound anything like it does in real life, blah blah blah... FM7 is great, aside from the Maserati Granturismo that apparently uses a Ferrari 458 engine lol

Hopefully FH4 is better. That GT350R is one of my favorite cars to drive, but without anything close to an accurate exhaust note, I just didn’t bother.

Edited by user Friday, July 20, 2018 8:17:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

4 users liked this post.
#30 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 3:05:44 PM(UTC)
One thing that really bothers me with the car sounds this generation - modifications don't change the sound at all.

Playing back through FH1 (again) on an alternate account, it's really nice to hear the louder, more aggressive noise (even at idle) of engine sounds as they're modified. Now, you're adding hundreds of extra horsepower onto a car, yet it sounds exactly like it's still stock. That hurts :/

There used to be a lot more work that went into the car sounds for these games. Now it's all just computerized, and it shows.
One of "The 50"
#31 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 10:06:05 AM(UTC)
I think a lot of it has to do with the shear number of cars. To go back and re-record most of the cars for this generation or re-do the sounds would be a daunting task. I hate to make excuses for them but the logistics of recording aren’t always possible. It all depends on what the owner of the car they used to model the in game version with allowed them to do. Some cars they probably weren’t allowed to drive at all but scan them and take measurements.

-k
#32 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 10:42:00 PM(UTC)
It was slightly worrying to hear the Honda Trophy Truck with a V8 noise, I'm pretty sure its supposed to be a V6. Does it sound okay in FM7, never driven it to be honest.
 1 user liked this post.
#33 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2018 10:52:10 AM(UTC)
I wish theyd rather source high-strung versions of street cars and downplay those samples for stock versions. Or even use generic samples for stock models.
#34 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2018 2:12:37 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Kdogg788 Go to Quoted Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the shear number of cars. To go back and re-record most of the cars for this generation or re-do the sounds would be a daunting task. I hate to make excuses for them but the logistics of recording aren’t always possible. It all depends on what the owner of the car they used to model the in game version with allowed them to do. Some cars they probably weren’t allowed to drive at all but scan them and take measurements.

-k

Not to leave a reply hanging, yeah, I considered the amount of cars as well. Although up until FM7, FM4 had the most cars in a Forza title, and they still did this, but I also realized the space requirements, and the texture files of cars and environments were a lot smaller then than they are now, leaving more room for more and higher-quality sound files. Plus, while I find it hard to see how they can't get their hands on a modified RX-7, Skyline, Mustang, etc. (legal issues aside), how are they supposed to get modified sounds for something like the McLaren Senna? Not every car has an extensive aftermarket attached to it, and there are some cars in-game that people really don't modify IRL.

To play a bit on the current-gen's strength, not every car sounded better back in the 360-era. Took the Zonda Cinque for a run in FH1 recently......ouch. That did not sound good. Reading the reddit page where most of the car list was leaked (not like those cars were unexpected anyway), I remembered someone posting that this game also had the most unique sound files of any Forza this generation, if not ever, so that's at least something to hope for in terms of uniqueness.

Regardless, the sounds in racing games, as much as I care for them, are not a good, justifiable reason to not buy a game. While I may be left slightly disappointed by them, if that's my largest complaint, the game must be pretty good.

If they were to add updated sounds in patches, however.....

Originally Posted by: Eddy FIN Go to Quoted Post
I wish theyd rather source high-strung versions of street cars and downplay those samples for stock versions. Or even use generic samples for stock models.

They already kind of do use generic samples for stock models, like the infamous "R34, Supra, M4 having the exact same sound" debacle in FH3. The old Jalopnik article I linked did discuss how they used to record enthusiasts' modified versions of cars to have the "upgraded car" sounds, but I don't mind the idea of downplaying....but again, that wouldn't work for every car.
One of "The 50"
#35 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2018 12:02:03 PM(UTC)
In Forza Horizon 3 the car sounds were fairly similar and it would be nice to have amazing sounding cars, engines. For example on a stock car it will sound stock but once you start putting engine mods on for example air intake it may sound more aggressive or even having a turbo on some of the cars like a skyline a flutter or waste gauge sound would sound nice
#36 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2018 2:26:05 PM(UTC)
Some of the engine noises in FM7 are really good, RB engines on the R32/R34 sound much meatier than in FH3. Hopefully they use some of these updated sounds.
 3 users liked this post.
#37 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:09:22 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ChickenWorm4902 Go to Quoted Post
Some of the engine noises in FM7 are really good, RB engines on the R32/R34 sound much meatier than in FH3. Hopefully they use some of these updated sounds.

The RB sounds in FM7 are wrong though. I prefer they not use those sounds.
 1 user liked this post.
#38 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:23:23 PM(UTC)
https://youtu.be/wPJPgSGcQe4

Enough said Forza....
#39 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2018 12:28:15 AM(UTC)
The most important sounds for me are the M156/M159 and Fords Voodoo V8. Both of them were horrible in FH3 and in case of the M159, that was actually terrible in FM6 as well sounding like an LS V8. FM7 gives me at least hope, as the M159 sounds close to how it sounded in FM5 and FH2 and yeah the glorious GT350R is back to sounding like it did in FM6.
 1 user liked this post.
#40 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 3:43:37 AM(UTC)
Really looking forward to the game releasing, pre-ordered the ultimate edition but I can see the sounds being an issue (again).

Haven't seen many people talking about this surprisingly, just watched the gameplay video of the R32 and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as H3, sounds nothing like an RB.

What concerns me more is the lack of turbo noise, is this going to be the same across all cars? I really hope I'm wrong but I can see it being similar to FM7 which I lost interest in quickly due the awful sounds. Someone give me some hope this isn't the case please :)

Edited by user Monday, September 10, 2018 3:44:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#41 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 4:22:17 AM(UTC)
I hope they nailed at least the V12 sound, cous I am gonna put that baby on all of my cars.
#42 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 4:28:32 AM(UTC)
Let's hope so, got a bad feeling you'll be disappointed though as they already look to have taken a massive step back on the R32 and probably the 33/34 as well....
#43 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 4:28:56 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EnvyingCrown638 Go to Quoted Post
Really looking forward to the game releasing, pre-ordered the ultimate edition but I can see the sounds being an issue (again).

Haven't seen many people talking about this surprisingly, just watched the gameplay video of the R32 and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as H3, sounds nothing like an RB.

What concerns me more is the lack of turbo noise, is this going to be the same across all cars? I really hope I'm wrong but I can see it being similar to FM7 which I lost interest in quickly due the awful sounds. Someone give me some hope this isn't the case please :)

Did you heard of Engine swap??
User is suspended until 1/25/2046 1:54:13 PM(UTC)
#44 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 4:30:16 AM(UTC)
I've always been interested in car sounds and why people think they're unrealistic when a professional sound engineer puts a mic against the engine source and records it. I've not heard 99.99% of the Forza cars in real life so I can't compare the sounds to anything.
Definition of Loyal: Giving or showing firm and *constant* support or allegiance to a person or institution

#45 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 4:32:13 AM(UTC)
Yeah I'm hoping it does have an engine swap as part of the upgrade but you'll forgive me for thinking the worst given the decline in sound quality over the past few Forzas....will be very happy if I'm wrong!
#46 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 4:37:01 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: YanaYaYa UK Go to Quoted Post
I've always been interested in car sounds and why people think they're unrealistic when a professional sound engineer puts a mic against the engine source and records it. I've not heard 99.99% of the Forza cars in real life so I can't compare the sounds to anything.

I've been lucky enough to see a few RB powered cars up close and none of them have sounded like the one in the gameplay video. They came close to nailing it in H3 on the 32/33 but I have no idea what happened to the 34 and from what I've seen the treatment has been extended to the other GTR's this time round.

Again I could be totally wrong here, just that for me half the joy of tuning up an 800bhp twin turbo monster is that it sounds the part as well.
#47 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:03:09 AM(UTC)
the new engine sounds sounds soo tasty!!
 1 user liked this post.
#48 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:34:00 PM(UTC)
Fix the V8 engine sound the 6.2L V8 doesn’t sound like its supposed to
 1 user liked this post.
User is suspended until 2/2/2046 3:08:40 AM(UTC)
#49 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 11:41:50 PM(UTC)
Engine sounds are completely lackluster - no punch or impact. Sound very monotone and underwhelming. Where's the volume and bass on these? Apparently, this is now becoming a "thing" in Forza games...

Same problem as FM7. Love the direction these two companies are headed in...
#50 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 4:22:12 AM(UTC)
Anyone else notice that you can’t really hear the turbo spool or Bov in some cars from the demo? Hopefully it'll be updated like when they fixed some cars in Fh3.
74 Pages1234>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error