This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
5 Pages<<345Prev
#101 Posted : Tuesday, August 8, 2017 10:20:07 AM(UTC)
Thanks for the update Ben and thanks for running this sucker!

I liked that it covered 3 different classes 👍🏼
 3 users liked this post.
#102 Posted : Tuesday, August 8, 2017 2:45:38 PM(UTC)
Thanks for all the nice comments guys! It is good to know that the work that goes into running these comps is appreciated by you all.

I think someone worked out how many laps I did for this comp... I tested 37 tunes and did 11 laps in each one so that comes to a total of 407 laps at Silverstone National.. lol

Time flies when you're having fun I suppose :)
PTG
 2 users liked this post.
#103 Posted : Tuesday, August 8, 2017 3:45:55 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG Benny Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for all the nice comments guys! It is good to know that the work that goes into running these comps is appreciated by you all.

I think someone worked out how many laps I did for this comp... I tested 37 tunes and did 11 laps in each one so that comes to a total of 407 laps at Silverstone National.. lol

Time flies when you're having fun I suppose :)

Hahah that's commitment Benny, your a top bloke!
#104 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:43:44 PM(UTC)
A little bit early days because we don't have times from all testers yet - still a small resume from my side: for these kind of tuning competitions the fastest build is more important than anything else, provided the tune is "good enough".

Let me elaborate:

First of all you need to know that as a test for myself and to benchmark my app I tuned all three cars solely by my QuickTune app, there was no manual tuning involved at all.

I started with building the Civic without looking left or right or anywhere on the leaderboard to check top tunes - and I failed miserably. I went with too much handling that sacrificed power too much. This was immediately clear to me when I checked builds from other participants. The difference to the top spot (according to Bennies times at least) was nearly 0.7 seconds, quite a lot.

For the S2000 I strived to improve my build, again not looking left or right but this time shooting for more power over handling. I did a better job than with the Civic but this time according to the top spots of the competition I sacrificed handling a little bit too much. From my testing the difference to other entries was minimal yet Benny could squeeze out more from other tunes so the difference top spot this time was about 0.4 seconds, nearly half as compared to the Civic.

Finally I built the NSX with the same strategy as the S2000, i.e. power over handling again without looking left or right. Then I thought lets have a look at top rated NSX tunes and rebuild them to see how they compare. So I took JSR Campbells NSX tune, converted it to non-aero and boom was immediately some tenths faster than my best own attempt. I chose this as my tuning entry albeit using someone else work to some extent. From my own testing I had high hopes for the NSX tune and surely it didn't disappoint.

To double check this I did the same with the S2000, just took GP Miskos tune, converted it to non-aero and boom was immediately some tenth faster than my own attempt. I didn't put this version up as I did this after submitting my S2000 tune.

So my takeaways so far:
1. Fastest build will win if the tune is good enough - i.e. has no major flaws
2. A tuning calculator can indeed produce good enough tunes compared to manual tunes - even for these kind of competitions, after all I'm only 0,25sec slower than the top spot

Don't get me wrong: I thoroughly enjoyed the comp and appreciate all the effort you PTG guys are putting into it. I gotta say I learned a thing or two about building a car, just not so much about tuning.

Edited by user Thursday, August 10, 2017 8:21:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#105 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:07:44 PM(UTC)
thanks for the hard work and results dude!!!
2009 Mustang GT/CS #1,260 of 1,705
#231 of 315 Vapor Silver Coupes
Flowmasters BBK Headers Comp Cams
Airaid CAI PowerStop Brakes Dyno Tune 325rwhp
 3 users liked this post.
#106 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2017 4:06:17 PM(UTC)
Update.

PTG Ducky has completed the Civic testing, results below.

PTG Ducky 1:04.805
HLR Moss 1:04.862
Fifty Inch 1:05.052
FV Big Hangers 1:05.083
xDeadxZeppLinx 1:05.110
SnowmansDad1 1:05.165
XCELRATE 1:05.367
Won Ge 1 1:05.425
WritesCode4Food 1:05.597
THR Omerta 1:05.745
HLR PRKid 1:06.320

PTG
 1 user liked this post.
#107 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:14:22 AM(UTC)
Thanks for the updates, and thanks to all the testers 👍
GT - Wan Ge 1

Bigtime Muscle Member
#108 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 11:52:11 AM(UTC)
hahah benny I think ducky forgot to test my civic

Edited by user Thursday, August 10, 2017 11:56:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#109 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:46:49 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Logic Moot Go to Quoted Post
hahah benny I think ducky forgot to test my civic

I will get this sorted for you mate..
PTG
#110 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:25:38 AM(UTC)
Great comp idea - sorry I missed it.
#111 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:55:08 AM(UTC)
BTW any news on progress?
#112 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:40:53 PM(UTC)
Not as yet mate - as soon as I hear of anything I will post it straight away.

It is going to be a close finish by the looks of it :)
PTG
#113 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:10:33 PM(UTC)
C'mon fellas the anticipation is killing me!

Need a fill-in driver or something?
#114 Posted : Wednesday, September 6, 2017 2:56:51 PM(UTC)
As PTG Ducky has not been able to test all the cars out due to work reasons, I am happy to allow another tester to test all the tunes to determine the winner for each class, plus the overall winner. Please message me on XBL if you are interested
PTG
#115 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 9:01:39 AM(UTC)
maybe we can re-create this on FM7 soon!!

thanks benny!
2009 Mustang GT/CS #1,260 of 1,705
#231 of 315 Vapor Silver Coupes
Flowmasters BBK Headers Comp Cams
Airaid CAI PowerStop Brakes Dyno Tune 325rwhp
5 Pages<<345Prev

Notification

Icon
Error