This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
4 Pages<<234Prev
#76 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:50:05 PM(UTC)
I think your talking more in terms of optimal grip in general. Since ride height effects top speed, acceleration, braking, cornering, ground clearance, and can gain in one category at the cost some where else. So I just don't understand how ride height isn't track specific to have the optimal tune. If my trueno runs great slammed on tracks wirh no curbs and can't Run at YAS because it bottoms out on the curbs then the tune isn't optimal at both tracks.
Also your height minimum/maximum range is wider than the cars I have tested.so far.
#77 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 11:34:55 AM(UTC)
Just checked the Trueno on Yas with minimal ride height and have no problems running over the curbs. Also I'm definitely faster with minimal ride height (5.3") than any other higher ride height. This is with bump 4.7/4.5 though.
#78 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:40:40 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: fifty inch Go to Quoted Post
As I said the sweet spot for ride height aka optimal ride height is generally the fastest no matter which track or if you run aero or not. Only exception for me so far is Watkins Glen for some cars.

Daytona road courses if you can fit springs. Not sure about homestead but would imagine one of the layouts may prefer it. Works on road america west (or whatever that high speed layout is), Silverstone national to an extent, Sebring (car dependent...bumps mess up some cars mentioned below but not others), monza short and Lemans.

The Holden monero is one of many examples. That car loved jacked up rear height. Pretty cool AKRA1X got my buggati reference. Lol.

Other examples include (from my experience and what I can recall) Ford Bronco (former #1 tune until stock suspension turned out to be faster via more power upgrades), 73 Skyline (former top 10 tune and still #1 in division after a year and I think fastest non-muscle car), sunbeam tiger (faster than Skyline and I think still #1 in division on track I ran it on), Plymouth GNX, and others that I later swapped back to stock or sport suspension because it was faster (via more power upgrades). Not trying to brag, but felt tangible results were needed here.

None of these are normal builds though. The more grip, the less need for raised rears.

Messed around with eagle talon and it worked too...despite having terrible acceleration. I'm going to drop it back down though because it doesn't feel right on tracks it did ok on.

All cars mentioned are no aero. And then there is a merc I did that didn't like it at all! It preferred a balanced height.

I personally don't like raised rears on Watkins Glenn because it loses too much times in the uphill essess. Car seems to unload in the rear too much...but that is just my experience with no aero cars.
#79 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 3:31:31 PM(UTC)
I don't mean only raising rear ride height on Watkins Glen but raising ride height both front and rear more than usual gives faster times on some cars for me (Porsche GT3 for example)
#80 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:50:14 AM(UTC)
I don't mean only raising rear ride height on Watkins Glen but raising ride height both front and rear more than usual gives faster times on some cars for me (Porsche GT3 for example)

Ahh ok yea I have a 77 trans am on sport or street (can't remember) suspension that feels great on the track that is also no aero. Not sure what the height is, but I know it's higher than race springs and lower than stock. Handles the elevation issues like a champ.

Not sure if it's the fastest build for that track for that car, but I won't be changing it since it is still fast.
#81 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:21:51 AM(UTC)
Out of interest: how do you know the stock ride height?

Edited by user Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:22:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#82 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:42:26 AM(UTC)
Out of interest: how do you know the stock ride height?

I don't. I can just visually see in upgrade preview and on track that my car is lower for street/sport/race (before tuning). Sometimes I wonder if the stock height for some cars is artificially raised to encourage street/sport usage. I also don't know if you jack up all ride heights with race if that approximates stock settings.
#83 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2017 10:08:30 AM(UTC)
Added ARB calculation example and reasoning for tire pressures.

Edited by user Sunday, January 1, 2017 10:09:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#84 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2017 7:51:13 AM(UTC)
Good stuff!
Shneeb108 / Racing SIM Tools Member
Shneeb
#85 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:41:37 PM(UTC)
Just found this post, I had more questions after my "ride height to spring post", but this answers them. This is what I was looking for, something to get the initial set done quickly, then mess with the exceptions to the rule later. Your guide will get you to the best setup very quickly! If you want a top 100 car, start here, then do the wacky stuff that defies logic.

Found my old notes for tuning...very bad, very very bad. I think it was written by Russians.

Just trying to get back into the Forza thing and messing with a Fiat X1/9 C class on Sonoma Short. My tune is way off your guide because I'm using the old notes. Now I have a baseline and it will be interesting to see how time I can shave off with your tuning guide.

Thanks Fifty!
#86 Posted : Saturday, May 20, 2017 12:18:57 PM(UTC)
After achieving a major milestone and tuned about every car in Forza 6 (at least all I can buy) I've updated the guide with the things I've learned in the meantime.

Following sections have been updated;
- Toe (update for cars with extreme low caster)
- Caster (added very old cars)
- Ride Height (updated suggested ranges)
- Aero (equal aero distribution explanation is more precise with regard to used aero kit)
- Diff (updated suggested starting point for AWD)

Edited by user Saturday, May 20, 2017 12:40:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#87 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 2:10:43 AM(UTC)
Do you have any S class stuff shared, fifty?
#88 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 2:20:16 AM(UTC)
Nothing shared, but soon I will share my lobby cars, a few also S class. But these are all oddball cars, not the usual suspects you will find in lobbies.
#89 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 6:10:10 AM(UTC)
Nothing shared, but soon I will share my lobby cars, a few also S class. But these are all oddball cars, not the usual suspects you will find in lobbies.

I quite like different. Just wouldn't mind trying some of your setups.
#90 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:25:13 AM(UTC)
Ride height detailed with regards to front and rear ride height.
#91 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:45:29 AM(UTC)
I updated the Tuning Guide with regard to GP and prototype race cars.

Over the course of the last weeks I've found that these ultra high performance cars require a special tuning approach in order to get the maximum of performance out of these cars.

Specifically in these tuning aspects GP and Prototype race cars need to be treated differently than other cars:
- Camber: due to high forces during cornering modern gp and protoype race cars require very low camber
- Caster: due to high forces during cornering modern gp and protoype race cars require high caster for extra stability
- ARBs: due to high forces during cornering modern gp and protoype races require stiffer than usual ARBs to provide extra stability during cornering
- Damping: due to high forces during cornering modern gp and protoype races require stiffer dampers
- Diff: probably as a result of all the changes described above gp and prototype race cars must be run with extreme high accel and extreme low decel to avoid understeer

All theses changes have also been reflected in the latest 2.0 version of my QuickTune app.
4 Pages<<234Prev

Notification

Icon
Error