This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
2 Pages12Next
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:23:36 AM(UTC)
As per the subject. Now HDR monitors are about to be released, there's no reason not to support HDR on PC too...Right?
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:29:00 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: XAleX360 Go to Quoted Post
As per the subject. Now HDR monitors are about to be released, there's no reason not to support HDR on PC too...Right?

Even without HDR monitors, there's the possibility to plug a PC into an HDR TV and get HDR in some games. Hitman, Resident Evil 7, and some others on PC already have HDR.

The Windows 10 Creator Update added a (poorly implemented) HDR switch under display settings. If they are adding it directly to Windows 10 I would hope they add it to Forza!
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:55:14 AM(UTC)
geez, we still have to ask ms this kind of feature, its an absurd not to have hdr on forza horizon 3.
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:23:36 AM(UTC)
It will probably come with the 4K upgrade to FH3. During the E3 conference it was stated that 4K upgrades will be made available for over 40 existing Xbox One games for free.

-k
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:43:17 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Kdogg788 Go to Quoted Post
It will probably come with the 4K upgrade to FH3. During the E3 conference it was stated that 4K upgrades will be made available for over 40 existing Xbox One games for free.

-k

I'm talking about bringing it to PC...
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:50:32 AM(UTC)
The "Ultimate PC Racing Experience", and yet for no reason at all it won't have HDR support unlike Xbox One S and X. Thanks, Turn 10.

https://news.xbox.com/20...7-pc-racing-experience/

[Mod Edit - incorrect, see post #18 - MM]

Edited by user Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:37:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#7 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 1:02:48 PM(UTC)
Damnit...Hope this coms with future win10 Updates.
I have a HDR TV and its not easy to watch even HDR video content...
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 1:54:01 PM(UTC)
Not the end of the world. I will be playing the game at Ultrawide (3440x1440) at Ultra Settings for the "Ultimate PC Racing Experience".

Edited by user Sunday, August 20, 2017 3:49:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 3:24:15 PM(UTC)
HDR on PC for gaming is not as easy as it would seem. It's a more complex issue on PC than it is on console ... which is why you'll see cases like this where the console version of some games will feature HDR and the PC version of the same game will not. The complexity for PC has to do with the difficulty of deciding on the industry standards for HDR technology (if you want to read more about it). Since consoles are closed systems, they don't have the headaches associated with standards across different hardware that PCs do.
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 3:48:16 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG Wildcat Go to Quoted Post
HDR on PC for gaming is not as easy as it would seem. It's a more complex issue on PC than it is on console ... which is why you'll see cases like this where the console version of some games will feature HDR and the PC version of the same game will not. The complexity for PC has to do with the difficulty of deciding on the industry standards for HDR technology (if you want to read more about it). Since consoles are closed systems, they don't have the headaches associated with standards across different hardware that PCs do.

Mostly this^^.

To Add: The industry hasnt settled yet either. Most HDR implementations on TV's arent complete either. They either are lacking, or dont implement something else.
There arent really Mainstream HDR monitors on PC yet, most have been delayed until 2018.

ie: http://www.pcgamer.com/dell-catching-heat-over-hdr-monitor-specs-not-being-real-hdr/

Current GPU's support HDR, Windows 10 Supports HDR.

Rtings.com is a brilliant place for TV information and comparisons.

Best HDR Gaming TV's

Dont worry about HDR, it isnt worth it yet.
Talking to brick walls since 2007.
Motivational Poster. Praise Dragnet
 2 users liked this post.
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 4:29:27 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DUST2DEATH Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PTG Wildcat Go to Quoted Post

Mostly this^^.

To Add: The industry hasnt settled yet either. Most HDR implementations on TV's arent complete either. They either are lacking, or dont implement something else.
There arent really Mainstream HDR monitors on PC yet, most have been delayed until 2018.

ie: http://www.pcgamer.com/dell-catching-heat-over-hdr-monitor-specs-not-being-real-hdr/

Current GPU's support HDR, Windows 10 Supports HDR.

Rtings.com is a brilliant place for TV information and comparisons.

Best HDR Gaming TV's

Dont worry about HDR, it isnt worth it yet.

It hasn't stopped other developers from implementing HDR (Mass Effect, Hitman, Resident Evil 7, and some others have it.). I don't see any good reason for Turn 10 to not implement HDR, especially since Microsoft won't shut up about it in regards to the Xbox One S. Microsoft even added an HDR option into Windows 10 in the Creators Update.

I'm also sure no one that wants HDR on the PC owns an HDR monitor, they are connecting their PCs to HDR TVs.
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:03:14 PM(UTC)
Implementation and Full Support are 2 different things.

It doesnt matter if they implement it or not when A) the standards arent finalised fully and B) monitors/TV's arent implementing HDR fully/properly.

EG: Sony can say 4K on PS Pro all it likes but checkerboarding = upscaling = not 4K.
 3 users liked this post.
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 6:44:08 PM(UTC)
If Microsoft didn't believe there was enough standardization to support HDR on PC, why would they add HDR to the Windows 10 Creators Update? Did they add it so they could turn around and not release games to support it?
 1 user liked this post.
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 11:35:31 PM(UTC)
Implementation and Full Support are 2 different things.

It doesnt matter if they implement it or not when A) the standards arent finalised fully and B) monitors/TV's arent implementing HDR fully/properly.

EG: Sony can say 4K on PS Pro all it likes but checkerboarding = upscaling = not 4K.

You're sorely mistaken. Checkerboard rendering is not upscaling at all, and it is also used on Xbox One. In fact, it was confirmed that Bioware's Anthem will use checkerboard rendering on XB1.
Besides, the HDR standards are finalized. The fact that TVs don't yet reach the peak luminance capability is irrelevant. HDR can still be a great visual benefit, which is why Microsoft is pushing it a lot on Xbox One. It actually appears that they're trying to give their console a slight edge over PC to compensate for the lesser raw power.
#15 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 1:45:49 AM(UTC)
^Happy to stand corrected. I didnt realise HDR10+ was finalised back at the end of april.

Also happy to stand by my original point that checkerboarding still isnt native/true. A point MS is pushing (seeing as you bought up XBX)
#16 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 2:19:37 AM(UTC)
^Happy to stand corrected. I didnt realise HDR10+ was finalised back at the end of april.

Also happy to stand by my original point that checkerboarding still isnt native/true. A point MS is pushing (seeing as you bought up XBX)

It's not native but it's not upscaling, either. In fact, when it's done right it can be very close to native in visual results, for example with Horizon: Zero Dawn. Anyway, this is off-topic.
 1 user liked this post.
#17 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 3:05:56 PM(UTC)
^I conceded it wasnt upscaling, and that I was wrong. Im always happy to be proven wrong, admit I was wrong and learn more.

The more you know, the less you know.
 9 users liked this post.
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:41:46 AM(UTC)
Happy to confirm that Forza Motorsport 7 will indeed support HDR on PC as well as on Xbox One X and Xbox One S.
Forza EMEA Community Manager
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:35:41 AM(UTC)
Hello Racers,

Does the game support HDR to "HDR enabled" televisions?

I am very curious if Microsoft has this working, considering Forza Horizon 3 didn't have HDR on PC.

Thanks in advance.
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:20:02 AM(UTC)
To enable HDR on the PC first have to enable in the Windows HDR display setting, in Windows the HDR gets horrible in the game gets ok.
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:44:54 AM(UTC)
I don't have that option and im running the latest Windows 10 + GTX 980TI latest Nvidia drivers.

I have the right cables (I test with the same cables I use my PS4 Pro - that is running HDR 4K content to my telly.

I had that option like 6 months ago, but they removed it somehow.
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:55:06 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Unklemac Go to Quoted Post
I don't have that option and im running the latest Windows 10 + GTX 980TI latest Nvidia drivers.

I have the right cables (I test with the same cables I use my PS4 Pro - that is running HDR 4K content to my telly.

I had that option like 6 months ago, but they removed it somehow.

Nvidia control panel change color settings for ycbcr 4222 10 bits to enable HDR windows 10
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:20:08 AM(UTC)
HDR doesn't work for me)
I have enabled windows HDR settings, but picture still looks washed out in windows and in game.
ks8000
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:51:06 PM(UTC)
While I can get it working in game (the calibration setting changes to an HDR setting) the implementation is definitely off. The added contrast seems to work but the colors are very wrong. There's even obvious color banding for goodness sake. Awful. It's like they have the 'HDR' part right but forgot the '10' part that includes a wide color gamut and 10 bit color.

Edited by user Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:11:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#25 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:39:53 AM(UTC)
HDR doesen't work for me. I can not see the HDR effect on my Samsung TV KU6000 with GTX 960 in the Forza 7 Demo. The HDR effect is very present in Battlefield 1 on the same computer and screen.
2 Pages12Next

Notification

Icon
Error