This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
 3 users liked this post.
#1 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 10:58:11 PM(UTC)
I don't know, I had a hell of a good time with FM5, as I did with FM4, but FM6 doesn't get played here much. It thought it feels repetitive. I obviously understood, that I put a lot of "work" into FM5 and wen pretty far there (got almost all of the achievements), so starting from zero in FM6, which is "just" a blown up FM5 must feel a bit repetitive. But when I started FM5 again, just to compare something, I immediately felt at home, the driving felt better, the rumble function in the triggers felt better and I even found some tracks to have less pop ups in the rear view mirror.

I know FM6 is the better game, but somehow, FM5's "character" appeals to me more. Maybe I just like the underdogs :-D

Anyone else?
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:22:24 AM(UTC)
No, I do not agree. While 4 might be a better "overall" game, it can't touch 6 in a lot of areas, like graphics, physics, tire modelling. 5 just feels like it is not quite complete like 6 does. And the Drivatars in 5 are suicidal, but that might be because you can adjust the aggressiveness in 6. Like I said, 5 just doesn't feel quite complete.
 2 users liked this post.
#3 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 10:03:18 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Ekkobelli Go to Quoted Post
I don't know, I had a hell of a good time with FM5, as I did with FM4, but FM6 doesn't get played here much. It thought it feels repetitive. I obviously understood, that I put a lot of "work" into FM5 and wen pretty far there (got almost all of the achievements), so starting from zero in FM6, which is "just" a blown up FM5 must feel a bit repetitive. But when I started FM5 again, just to compare something, I immediately felt at home, the driving felt better, the rumble function in the triggers felt better and I even found some tracks to have less pop ups in the rear view mirror.

I know FM6 is the better game, but somehow, FM5's "character" appeals to me more. Maybe I just like the underdogs :-D

Anyone else?

There are quite a few of us out here actually who truly feel 4 and 5 have been their best work to date. And no, just because its a newer Forza version, does not mean it's automatically better in every way.

Historically speaking, sine FM2, T10 have been known for moving a few steps forward, and a few steps back with every iteration. With 6 unfortunately, too many steps backward though I do appreciate the sheer content that's up for grabs. To get it though, you have to shell out upwards of $140.

The reason you don't see too many folks praising FM5 is because they probably a. don't care much tio share their opinion or b. don't want to get into a flame war over which one's better.

I've been around cars, racing and racing games since I was in prep school. As far as the Forza franchise is concerned, 5 is a technically superior product, boasting vivid visuals and car detail with a FOV that looks just right and car audio that would make you cream your p;ants. I even prefer the lighting in F5, though bright colors can at times, look oversaturated. But then again, if you give it some thought, when has their lighting model not been a little oversaturated since FM4?

The sounds in F5 - the tires going past their limits, the rush of wind at high speeds, the exhaust sound howling and reverbing off the environment, metal crunching on contact... they have not been able to recreate that in 6. I guess all that stuff took a backseat once the focus went toward adding more cars on the roster, more on track, rain, night etc. The sheer detail in the car sounds is something that awes and inspires me to this day and even makes me shake my head so as to how damn good cars can sound in a game. It's as if the visuals and audio were given a 50/50 priority.

Again, I do deeply appreciate all the additions in 6, but it came at a price. The environments look zoomed out because the lo-res textures had to be hidden somehow; you can no longer see the hills/countryside in tracks like the Nordshleiffe or Catalunya. Comprommises just had to be made as Dan's team does not want to lose the locked 60 fps benchmark. That, by the way, I must say, is an achievement in it's own right and deserves praise.

Physics-wise, FM5 truly outshines other Forza titles. Your car seems to have more believable levels of grip and there's a good sense of weight, which I should say, doesn't feel bad in FM6, but noticeably less nuanced. They deliberately tightened the handling model where countersteering is faster, braking is very sharp and the model is generally more forgiving.

T10 seems to be giving a great deal of importance to offering accessibility to casual gamers and new comers but I find that disturbing. I just can't picture Forza being called the same as an NFS or TDU game. However, the trend seems to be moving away from an intricate and nuanced driving model that took time to master, to a more casual one that compels people to buy lots of cars and/or pick up an Xbox for Forza (if console is their first preference).

A shame, that's all. I will always cherish F4 and 5 in my collection, and to an extent, F6, but it doesn't feel the same. Luckily though there's a fair amount of realistic games to choose from.. cough cough PCARS... cough AC.. so I'm all set as a consumer who knows exactly what he wants. I'm definitely not pre-ordering again or diving into the game right after release and purchasing all post-release DLC.

Forza has been a memorable virtual automotive journey but they seem to be moving in a different direction lately. I grew up on GT in my teens and early 20s and that felt great to me at the time (on a console). But they started to sit on their laurels and along comes FM. I jumped ship and the journey began. A wonderful one. But seems now T10 is sitting on their laurels, not bothered much about the competition (Kaz and Dan distant cousins perhaps?) and there are so many great driving sims lined up.

I have hopes, however; F7 ought to impress but then again, options a plenty for those who prefer good, life-like physics and a nuanced model with a gradual learning curve. Just like learning the limits of a car on an actual track.

Edited by user Monday, March 20, 2017 10:28:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:50:50 PM(UTC)
5 is better than 6, in my opinion. 5 of us are re-buying it this week and shelving forza 6, providing the online servers are still up as we usually have many private races daily
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:07:39 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Dan I 91 I Go to Quoted Post
5 is better than 6, in my opinion. 5 of us are re-buying it this week and shelving forza 6, providing the online servers are still up as we usually have many private races daily

Hey Dan, you can add me if you like. We'll have ourselves a few one-on-ones, though I'll have to reinstall FM5 as I needed space to play Witcher 3... lol!
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:00:47 PM(UTC)
I wondered if I was the only one who thought this too. I can't quite put my finger on why, but the driving just feels a lot nicer to me, you really feel at one with the car in a way you don't with 6. I also like the bigger and clearer text and mini-map, which 6 inexplicably changed for no good reason. Oh and I like the medal system too.

Edited by user Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:05:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Notification

Icon
Error