This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:27:25 AM(UTC)
I was curious if I could beat anyone in rivals by just doing the opening lap,
but the result was shocking to say the least, as I managed to beat 160.000+ players.

Now I consider myself to be a decent driver, but I know there lots and lots of others way faster then I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDq_8okKfQ
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 11:01:17 AM(UTC)
50% of people are going to be below average, and 50% are going to be above.

Whether or not the majority of people are "bad" or not depends on your definition of "bad" is.
 4 users liked this post.
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 11:12:20 AM(UTC)
Every time anyone runs a track for the first time they put a time on the LB. For most people that'll be a race in career mode on a track they literally only race once before moving on to another game, so most of the times on each board with be dirty and slow as hell. It would be weird if that wasn't the case.
 1 user liked this post.
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 11:50:45 AM(UTC)
It also depends which layout of the track and car class you choose. But yeah, its shocking how high you can place on the leaderboards without too much effort, as you can see in your clip: there is already a 5 second gap between the #1 and #16 on this track for this class.
 4 users liked this post.
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:41:25 PM(UTC)
Beating 16k players means jack. There could be that many 6 year olds done a lap.

Edited by user Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:42:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#6 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 3:53:18 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Dadiodude Go to Quoted Post
Beating 16k players means jack. There could be that many 6 year olds done a lap.

It's 160k he beat on his "outlap". The other 144k are probably mainstream gamers.
 1 user liked this post.
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2017 3:45:48 AM(UTC)
Not surprising at all to me. I have been back playing Forza 5 to get my Tier level up to 10. I have been amazed at how many tracks that I have placed in the top 5 - 15% and this is in cars that can't be Tuned and are no where near being Leaderboard cars, and during races, dodging the insane Drivertards. And this 65 year old man is by no means, anywhere near fast.
 2 users liked this post.
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:23:44 AM(UTC)
Most players don't make any real effort in rivals, most of the times set in rivals are just from races they do in single player or multiplayer. I'm one of those players.

Edited by user Sunday, March 19, 2017 5:54:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#9 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 4:31:54 AM(UTC)
You can still run top 100s on your opening lap for some Lemans tracks. I think I did that recently on a rain layout. Lol.

But generally if it's one of the tracks that show up a lot in career, a lot of players have mod cards activated which some mod cards automatically places your lap below dirty laps. And then there's the whole not running a clean lap issue.

It's always been easy to beat a ton of people via clean opening laps.
 1 user liked this post.
#10 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 6:57:27 AM(UTC)
to add to what pj said.

50% are above and below average. However with that said even those who are well above average if they only raced the track online and have a dirty lap because of it will be below you if you ran a clean lap. unless you are battling it out with either people you know are quite quick (the top 100 depending on track) or battling with someone, same tune/car that you know set the time in rivals it really doesnt mean much. Also, setting a clean time just to set a clean time is now a waste of time, unlike forza 4.

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner
#11 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 8:13:52 AM(UTC)
Rivals isn't a big part of the game any more for me. Back in FM4 a few of us used to push each other and beating a buddy's time was just as much fun as racing. I'm not that quick because I always run my own tunes but lack the patience to get them just right although we used to get some respectable times. Our little club was running around 30th when we quit and moved to the XB1- in both 5 and 6 I haven't really done rivals and certainly haven't gone for any lap times - there's no incentive any more. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Like others have said, a lot of the times you're beating are just people getting bashed about in a race or just running an unoptimised car for a lap or two.

It's a step backwards, I learnt a great deal running in rivals and it was the only time I ever got close to tuning a car as well as some of the experienced guys. Perhaps I'll should dust off the controller and take a look :)
#12 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 8:23:57 AM(UTC)
Rivals isn't a big part of the game any more for me. Back in FM4 a few of us used to push each other and beating a buddy's time was just as much fun as racing. I'm not that quick because I always run my own tunes but lack the patience to get them just right although we used to get some respectable times. Our little club was running around 30th when we quit and moved to the XB1- in both 5 and 6 I haven't really done rivals and certainly haven't gone for any lap times - there's no incentive any more. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Like others have said, a lot of the times you're beating are just people getting bashed about in a race or just running an unoptimised car for a lap or two.

It's a step backwards, I learnt a great deal running in rivals and it was the only time I ever got close to tuning a car as well as some of the experienced guys. Perhaps I'll should dust off the controller and take a look :)

I think this is partially due to Turn 10 axing the overall leaderboards (ie overall for all variations of a track in a class, overall for all tracks in a class, overall for all classes on all tracks). I had a blast racing up the overall leaderboards in Forza 4, so much so that I kept doing it all the way up until Forza 6 came out (sadly I ended up just barely outside the top 100 as I am bad). I'm just not into hotlapping now that the overall rankings are gone.

Or maybe that's just a thing only I miss, I dunno.
 1 user liked this post.
#13 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 11:41:30 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Cubivore Go to Quoted Post

I think this is partially due to Turn 10 axing the overall leaderboards (ie overall for all variations of a track in a class, overall for all tracks in a class, overall for all classes on all tracks). I had a blast racing up the overall leaderboards in Forza 4, so much so that I kept doing it all the way up until Forza 6 came out (sadly I ended up just barely outside the top 100 as I am bad). I'm just not into hotlapping now that the overall rankings are gone.

Or maybe that's just a thing only I miss, I dunno.

It's a big thing to miss. I understand well.

To me it was a blast to take a few cars I liked around tracks just to have the clean lap. It was great at exposing me other cars....which this game is really all about.

Then when I wanted to I could be competitive with friends or team members. It was a fun experience completing classes only to be distracted by a friend with a "hot tune" turning easy top times.

The boards were far more competitive than they are now. It was the true rivals mode....not this junk we have now.
#14 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 1:43:34 PM(UTC)
And lots of clean, fast players moved on to other games like Project Cars and Assetto Corsa.
#15 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 3:23:23 PM(UTC)
It doesn't help that there is no longer an API that would allow web and app developers to fetch leaderboard data and showcase it online. With no place to "immortalise" your leaderboard performance or collate it all into a "this is the fastest player across all classes" total, leaderboards only exist as a feel-good factor now and not as a competitive entity (outside of events like the FRC).
#16 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 4:33:01 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: RPM Swerve Go to Quoted Post

It's a big thing to miss. I understand well.

To me it was a blast to take a few cars I liked around tracks just to have the clean lap. It was great at exposing me other cars....which this game is really all about.

Then when I wanted to I could be competitive with friends or team members. It was a fun experience completing classes only to be distracted by a friend with a "hot tune" turning easy top times.

The boards were far more competitive than they are now. It was the true rivals mode....not this junk we have now.

For me the value was in large part due to it making me better at the game. I did use leaderboard cars and all that, but following someone's ghost, someone who was better than me, and then eventually beating or coming really close to beating that ghost really made me a much, much better driver. Now if only I wasn't so afraid of close racing that I always back out and let people pass me the second they get behind me, then we'd be in business~

Notification

Icon
Error