18 Pages<<7891011>>PrevNext
#201 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:39:05 AM(UTC)
Firstly, I've only been around here for just over a month and don't really know all the technical terms that comes with creating photos, but I can tell you one thing and that is that your images are very pleasing on the eye. It's also great to have a photo and ask what's that, how has he done that? The comp wins are great to have but as someone else said you quite rightly have a huge amount of respect in the community, nearly every shot is deemed a winner so keep doing your thing. :-)

So here's my votes

Aston: 1 & 4
Corvette: 1 & 4
McLaren: 2 & 3

#202 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 9:48:49 AM(UTC)
I really like shot 3 of the one77.

Also wanted to mention the great work you did with the all cars project.
#203 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:12:38 AM(UTC)
When will I comment on some more galleries

While I have commented on a range of galleries so far, it should be noted that I can't comment on anymore until tonight for one reason. Work starts in just under an hour and well I need to get ready for work. And due to this, if you have commented in here over the last week. But you haven't recieved a comment from me over the last hour. Then well all that must be said is one thing. Don't worry since you will get a comment over the next few days.

Aside from that I must finish this piece of info up with one final line. Have a good day chaps.

Voting Deadline Reminder: I just want to remind everyone that the deadline is tomorrow.

Originally Posted by: Desperado9009 Go to Quoted Post
Firstly, I've only been around here for just over a month and don't really know all the technical terms that comes with creating photos, but I can tell you one thing and that is that your images are very pleasing on the eye. It's also great to have a photo and ask what's that, how has he done that? The comp wins are great to have but as someone else said you quite rightly have a huge amount of respect in the community, nearly every shot is deemed a winner so keep doing your thing. :-)

So here's my votes

Aston: 1 & 4
Corvette: 1 & 4
McLaren: 2 & 3
Originally Posted by: Steve Rcgers Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Pebb Go to Quoted Post
Is that a peacock?
Maybe it is a Peacock or maybe it is something else. But at the end of the day if you were someone else, then you might see something completey different.

That's what makes it unique :)

Originally Posted by: Brokenvegetable Go to Quoted Post
Aston Martin 1&4
Vette 4&5
P1 1&2

I do try to keep things squared up as much as I can. I try not to let a piece of a wing or corner of the car left off screen. I want each shot I take to look as good as I can make it. So I spend time flexing each component of the filters to make sure that I can get the best lighting effect I think is best for each shot. Sometimes the natural light makes that really hard to do, with lens flare and such. But there are some things I just have not spent time on to perfect yet. I am doing more up close stuff which is new. But I am still a ways off from people like you and viper.
Thanks for voting guys.

Originally Posted by: Morc 57 Go to Quoted Post
I really like shot 3 of the one77.

Also wanted to mention the great work you did with the all cars project.
I would be honoured if you could take time out in your busy schedule to pick your favourite two from all three shots.

Signature contains FM7 gallery link | Galleries: Flickr/FH3
#204 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:19:25 AM(UTC)
2nd of the Corvette shots, 2nd of the McLaren shots, then I would actually choose this for the One-77:

I also choose this for the Cosmos, even tho it's not for voting lol.

I find it incredibly eye-catching, and the lighting is just gorgeous.

Sorry I'm a bit of an eccentric voter. :P
#205 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:56:07 AM(UTC)
I already voted on Flickr this morning but I just wanted to drop by and say great work on the dimension shot :)
#206 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 8:13:46 PM(UTC)

Click for the full size

Poll Updates

Currently two polls contain ties. However to try and break the deadlock, I have messaged a few people from these forums on XBL. However if the deadlock doesn't get broken. Then well, I will just create a two new polls containing the shots that were tied. Now with those thoughts out of the way it is time to talk about one poll that is closing early. But why. And the simple answer is this. Two images in the McLaren P1 poll are running away with quite a few votes. So due to this, I am pleased to reveal that images 2 & 3 are the winners.

Current Results & Poll Bump| Polls 1 & 2 | Deadline for any remaining votes: 9-12 Hours

Click for the full size

Aston Martin One-77 | #1 - 5 / #2 - 3 / #3 - 6 / #4 - 4
Corvette C1 | #1 - 3 / #2 - 1 / #3 - 4 / #4 - 6 / #5 - 4

Originally Posted by: Nights Viper Go to Quoted Post
I already voted on Flickr this morning but I just wanted to drop by and say great work on the dimension shot :)
Thanks for voting on Flickr.

Originally Posted by: FlexibleFelix Go to Quoted Post
2nd of the Corvette shots, 2nd of the McLaren shots, then I would actually choose this for the One-77:

I also choose this for the Cosmos, even tho it's not for voting lol.

I find it incredibly eye-catching, and the lighting is just gorgeous.

Sorry I'm a bit of an eccentric voter. :P
The One-77 shot mentioned by you is safe from the chopping block. But instead the reason for all three polls is simple. There is a range of shots that I couldn't decide between. And due to this, I am trusting the community to come through for me.

Edited by user Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:11:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#207 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:54:05 AM(UTC)
Poll Update

After some late votes I am pleased to say most of the ties were broken with the last few votes. But while some shots made it through in the end, there is still two that couldn't break the deadlock. And because of this. I will setup a new poll to break the deadline to see what shot is saved from the chopping block.

-----

Poll | Pick One Shot | Deadline for votes: This Saturday

Click for the full size

Edited by user Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:56:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#208 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 3:10:50 PM(UTC)
Please be more honest and truthful with your comments

After seeing how my week 7 entries did compared a shot like this for example. I am starting to have more doubts when entering future photomode contests going forward. And while some of you believe I have rotten luck. At the end of the day, there must be a reason why the judges prefer such a shot over entries from other people like Night Vipers for example. But what are my thoughts on the whole. Well don't be too afaird when posting your thoughts on any of my shots going forward.

Because in Turn 10's book not one of my entries for week 7 are not up to their standard's. Plus while people don't like bragging, it should be noted that I predicted that one of my week 7 entries wouldn't make the cut. And due to this. It looks like it might be time to think very wisely about my future in the Photomode scene. Plus losing to a snapshot could affect my morale in such a way that the quality might go down hill.

Now with my ranting out of the way, it is time to wrap up this post with these final few words. Have a good weekend lads.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 22, 2016 6:51:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#209 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 4:19:13 AM(UTC)
This is incredible!! How is that possible? I was never able to take photos from the inside of the car, would you mind explaining how you did it?

My galleries - FH2/FM6/FH3
#210 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:26:22 AM(UTC)
Please be more honest and truthful with your comments

After seeing how my week 7 entries did compared GreekKillers shot for example, I am starting to have more doubts when entering future photomode contests going forward. And while some of you believe I have rotten luck. At the end of the day, there must be a reason why the judges prefer such a shot over entries from other people like Night Vipers for example. But what are my thoughts on the whole. Well don't be too afaird when posting your thoughts on any of my shots going forward.

Because in Turn 10's book not one of my entries for week 7 are not up to their standard's. Plus while people don't like bragging, it should be noted that I predicted that one of my week 7 entries wouldn't make the cut. And due to this. It looks like it might be time to think very wisely about my future in the Photomode scene. Plus losing to a snapshot could affect my morale in such a way that the quality might go down hill.

Now with my ranting out of the way, it is time to wrap up this post with these final few words. Have a good weekend lads.

Hi there Pebb. I strongly agree with you here. I must say, I'm very new to the scene and there's still much to learn. Last week, however, I thought: let's enter the contest and see what happens. I thought I finally had material that would be good enough to win. I submitted three shots from my entire Huracán set (1, 2 and 3). Three shots that stood out to me the most quality wise. I really hoped that I would be able to win this time around, after putting so many hours into that shoot.
I kept on refreshing and refreshing the contest winners thread because I was so convinced I finally would make the cut, only to find out I wasn't. As you said, I don't want to brag either and maybe they weren't so good after all, but I received quite some positive feedback from the community in my thread in response to that shoot. I think it's utterly disgusting from T10 that a photo like the one from GreekKillers, who just randomly paused his game and found out there's a 'photo mode' on the right side, took a random picture without even considering angles and settings and uploaded afterwards, can win a contest like this. There's an entire community in this forum section dedicated to this mode, of which some are desperately continuously trying to get that 'one perfect shot' to show off and possibly submit in a contest, yet it's all for nothing in T10's eyes (besides a couple of great names from the forzatography section).

This was only my second time ever to participate in a contest like this, but I'm already feeling the same as you do and doubting whether I should even submit again in the near future or not.
However, as another friend told me. Maybe we shouldn't bother too much about this one random T10 guy's opinion who thinks those pictures are not worthy winners, but rather focus on the great feedback we get from the community. Which mostly does acknowledge great shots and the time you put into it.

- Steve out and have a nice one too mate! ;)

Edited by user Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:28:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#211 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 9:16:25 AM(UTC)
I think in my experience over the years of playing this game and being here on the forums. The view of what makes a good photo a good photo is not what it use to be. Black and white and close up shots dont make the splash they use to. I also feel that they chose rather plain photos at times just to welcome in people that maybe are not the best at taking photos. I do see way more bright shots and colorful abstracts getting in more often now. But very little B&W's.

Your photography is above and beyond most people. Trust me no matter if you win a comp or not I still see your work as nothing short of amazing and this is my honest opinion. I mean you are up on the leader board with Viper, Lime, Laz Jackson, Photo Stig, Evomunk.... and many many more. I mean I can't say all of them without mentioning you. Personality counts for soooo much. and when I see one of your photos I can say that's Pebb. Just like the everyone else on the lists of the best You are one of them breaking ground in so many places. Yes you might not win photo comps but honestly for me its not about how many comps you win it never has been. It's about giving others that WOW factor or the OOOOOO feeling. LIke when people come to your page and then save your work to use it as the background on their computer. I know I have!

Don't get discouraged Turn 10 in no way is the end all be all of the photo community. Is us the community and in that community its about supporting our art! I will support your art for as long as you want to keep doing it and even after to keep it alive. The one's in the community that put time in to create the best work they can it shows!! And what you create is nothing short of amazing work!

Edited by user Saturday, November 19, 2016 4:13:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#212 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 9:24:02 AM(UTC)
You seem very needy, Pebb.
Also, you have a couple of wins, so why make a fuss....again.
I admire your photo's but sometimes your personality lacks a little humility. Sorry, but you did ask for truthful comments.
#213 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 11:25:14 AM(UTC)
Ah Pebb as I understand you. I also try to understand the choices of t10 for the photocomp, and especially the week 7, it's weird. I do not know about you, but when I take a picture it is built, I pay attention to framing and do everything to showcase the game. I try to encourage others to progress by giving examples with new ideas. In short, I also swung very nice photos this week and nothing, and like you, that disappointed me. Really strange on the part of t10.
 2 users liked this post.
#214 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 3:17:38 PM(UTC)
I can understand where you're coming from, but there are many other variables to consider here.

For one, I'm not sure who at T10/PG judges these photos, whether it be the marketing guys, the animators, or the coding department. That would make a big difference depending on who, because they may not have the understanding of photography the way this section of the forum does. Just because a photo doesn't win, doesn't mean the effort to produce that shot was wasted.

Another thing, contests are a numbers game. Especially this contest where taste is subjective. As the forza series grows with more and more fans everyday, the pool of entries grows and your chances become slimmer. Maybe someone got a lucky shot, and it appealed to the tastes of whoever laid eyes on it and declared it a winner.

Photography shouldn't be about the amount of wins you have, the features, or anything that relies on external forces. If you like your shot, you should be happy. No one has the power to take that away from you. At the level you're performing at, we're a little more elevated than the weekly photocomp, no? More style, more effort, more thought through. So why get upset that you aren't winning a contest that aims to get the entire forza community involved, instead of just pandering to give us bragging rights.

Personally, I find myself entering T10 photocomps less and less (forum-run ones I'll still enter) as my I become happier with my own work, as it becomes more and more defined as "my style". I know T10/PG won't see my work in the same light as I do, and I'm okay with that.

FH2 | FH3 | FH4 | Flickr
#215 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 8:19:18 PM(UTC)
Quick update on The Vulcan

Earlier on I started work on my next update. But after going through every shot and selecting a few, it looks like my next update might not be released until later this week or next week. However if my next few hours on FH3 do not go to plan. Then well how should I put this. Simple really. You might be treated to a stock preview since I don't want to reveal the edited shots until the full update is finished.

And Finally

As you will have seen before. I have dabbed my hand in the heavy edit department from time to time. And well while walking home at 2am after seeing Doctor Strange a few weeks back, it came to me that my next photoshopped/heavy edit will be centered around the multiverse theory. Yet since this could be one of my toughest ideas yet. It could result in a failure.

Now with that out of the way, some of you must be wondering one thing. When will I start work on such a photoshopped piece. And the answer is simple. It could be at least a month or two since I don't rush into it.

Originally Posted by: FigueroMatheus Go to Quoted Post
This is incredible!! How is that possible? I was never able to take photos from the inside of the car, would you mind explaining how you did it?

I be happy to share how that shot was captured. But remember once more people know about such a trick, it increases the chances it will get patched in FH3 or such a trick ever happening again in future Forza's. Yet if you want a solid way to take different interior shots, then I suggest starting a campain to get a no-clip feature in Photomode.

Hi there Pebb. I strongly agree with you here. I must say, I'm very new to the scene and there's still much to learn. Last week, however, I thought: let's enter the contest and see what happens. I thought I finally had material that would be good enough to win. I submitted three shots from my entire Huracán set (1, 2 and 3). Three shots that stood out to me the most quality wise. I really hoped that I would be able to win this time around, after putting so many hours into that shoot.
I kept on refreshing and refreshing the contest winners thread because I was so convinced I finally would make the cut, only to find out I wasn't. As you said, I don't want to brag either and maybe they weren't so good after all, but I received quite some positive feedback from the community in my thread in response to that shoot. I think it's utterly disgusting from T10 that a photo like the one from GreekKillers, who just randomly paused his game and found out there's a 'photo mode' on the right side, took a random picture without even considering angles and settings and uploaded afterwards, can win a contest like this. There's an entire community in this forum section dedicated to this mode, of which some are desperately continuously trying to get that 'one perfect shot' to show off and possibly submit in a contest, yet it's all for nothing in T10's eyes (besides a couple of great names from the forzatography section).

This was only my second time ever to participate in a contest like this, but I'm already feeling the same as you do and doubting whether I should even submit again in the near future or not.
However, as another friend told me. Maybe we shouldn't bother too much about this one random T10 guy's opinion who thinks those pictures are not worthy winners, but rather focus on the great feedback we get from the community. Which mostly does acknowledge great shots and the time you put into it.

- Steve out and have a nice one too mate! ;)
Originally Posted by: CarnivoreMrG Go to Quoted Post
Ah Pebb as I understand you. I also try to understand the choices of t10 for the photocomp, and especially the week 7, it's weird. I do not know about you, but when I take a picture it is built, I pay attention to framing and do everything to showcase the game. I try to encourage others to progress by giving examples with new ideas. In short, I also swung very nice photos this week and nothing, and like you, that disappointed me. Really strange on the part of t10.
It is good to hear that another two people were unhapppy with the judges.

Originally Posted by: Brokenvegetable Go to Quoted Post
I think in my experience over the years of playing this game and being here on the forums. The view of what makes a good photo a good photo is not what it use to be. Black and white and close up shots dont make the splash they use to. I also feel that they chose rather plain photos at times just to welcome in people that maybe are not the best at taking photos. I do see way more bright shots and colorful abstracts getting in more often now. But very little B&W's.

Your photography is above and beyond most people. Trust me no matter if you win a comp or not I still see your work as nothing short of amazing and this is my honest opinion. I mean you are up on the leader board with Viper, Lime, Laz Jackson, Photo Stig, Evomunk.... and many many more. I mean I can't say all of them without mentioning you. Personality counts for soooo much. and when I see one of your photos I can say that's Pebb. Just like the everyone else on the lists of the best You are one of them breaking ground in so many places. Yes you might not win photo comps but honestly for me its not about how many comps you win it never has been. It's about giving others that WOW factor or the OOOOOO feeling. LIke when people come to your page and then save your work to use it as the background on their computer. I know I have!

Don't get discouraged Turn 10 in no way is the end all be all of the photo community. Is us the community and in that community its about supporting our art! I will support your art for as long as you want to keep doing it and even after to keep it alive. The one's in the community that put time in to create the best work they can it shows!! And what you create is nothing short of amazing work!
Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by: Sergi01978 Go to Quoted Post
You seem very needy, Pebb.
Also, you have a couple of wins, so why make a fuss....again.
I admire your photo's but sometimes your personality lacks a little humility. Sorry, but you did ask for truthful comments.
There is a few reasons I have moaned. But the main one is the judging quality just isn't the same anymore. Instead we are still getting weeks that have a mixed bag. And well when this happens, it makes me shake my head in disbelief since each week should only contain the best shots. Not a few good shots and then a random selection.

Yet if the judges are having a hard time. Then well there is one choice, keep to the same amount of winners week in and week out. Instead of what has happened. I.e, One week has 5 winners & during the following week there is a total of 8-12 winners.

Final Thoughts:

If I lost to a good shot it would mean a easy night for me. While also giving me a reason to spend even longer deciding what shots to keep. Yet in doing such, it would result sitting back in my chair and scratching my head when deciding. Also while, I have only two wins so far. In my view another barren patch could await me. But what do I mean by barren patch. Well during the FH2 or FM6 Days, there was a period where my next win would take a good 6-12 weeks.

Originally Posted by: iHomie OG Go to Quoted Post
I can understand where you're coming from, but there are many other variables to consider here.

For one, I'm not sure who at T10/PG judges these photos, whether it be the marketing guys, the animators, or the coding department. That would make a big difference depending on who, because they may not have the understanding of photography the way this section of the forum does. Just because a photo doesn't win, doesn't mean the effort to produce that shot was wasted.

Another thing, contests are a numbers game. Especially this contest where taste is subjective. As the forza series grows with more and more fans everyday, the pool of entries grows and your chances become slimmer. Maybe someone got a lucky shot, and it appealed to the tastes of whoever laid eyes on it and declared it a winner.

Photography shouldn't be about the amount of wins you have, the features, or anything that relies on external forces. If you like your shot, you should be happy. No one has the power to take that away from you. At the level you're performing at, we're a little more elevated than the weekly photocomp, no? More style, more effort, more thought through. So why get upset that you aren't winning a contest that aims to get the entire forza community involved, instead of just pandering to give us bragging rights.

Personally, I find myself entering T10 photocomps less and less (forum-run ones I'll still enter) as my I become happier with my own work, as it becomes more and more defined as "my style". I know T10/PG won't see my work in the same light as I do, and I'm okay with that.
In my view Turn 10 should select people more in the art/screen shot department. Not some guy who codes, unless he does photography as a hobby. Or he loved visiting art galleries during his school trips. But since this wouldn't happen maybe some judges some get a second opinion when deciding between 5 different shots for example.

Edited by user Sunday, November 20, 2016 8:19:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#216 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 9:30:04 AM(UTC)

Very nice.
#217 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 7:38:38 PM(UTC)
Just a heads up guys, don't forget that naming and shaming isn't allowed on here. I don't want to see Pebb's thread locked. :/

Onto the discussion at hand, I can totally see the perspective here. Hell, I've experienced it in all my years entering all the comps lol, but I agree that there seems to be a consistency issue here as of recent with the picture choice. Now, on the incredibly low chance that the T10 people may see this, I say we could at least appreciate some more clarification on the process or even the results. Back in the FM4 days, 'Honourable Mentions' kind of capture the sort of clarification I'm referring to here. If we could know what we were doing that T10/PG likes by seeing how close we could have been to actually winning, then we can adjust to their tastes. Say, seeing the votes of those pictures that lie just outside of the winners circle could be more than enough hint for us to begin to understand what the judges like to see. Now, for everyone else here, I know I'm saying that we would be constricting ourselves by following their tastes, but being that we are a community that exists within the Forza community itself, we have our own ways to build ourselves up and offset such a change. It's touchy yeah, but this sort of appreciation would give peace of mind to a lot that enter these comps. I'm sure 8-9 out of 10 feel the same anxiety, concern and frustration here. By doing this, we can learn to give the contest judges the kinds of pictures that they want, which would improve the quality of pics they would want to choose from overall. Sound like I'm being arrogant of the skills of the people in this section by thinking they will win? Nay, I am confident in them. There are definitely others out there who do have skill just as good if not better and have never posted here, but at this point, I know they're few and far between. We haven't spent the longest times in photo mode in this series and gained nothing from it.

But in the end. It's T10's and PG's competitions, so in my opinion, if they think a shot by some random person who I shall call 'X' for the sake of the example, is much better than any other shot, I can't hold them to it, I can only say, "I'll just try for next week then". However, I feel like, say for another example, the heavy emphasis on any shot that depicts the sky in a sunset view for the majority of the pic getting chosen for a winner, makes me feel (Along with a few others here) rather disheartened at our earnest efforts to enter shots we feel make up the very best views that Forza contains. I'm not labeling anyone here or there for being chosen, rather that I've noticed that this is a consistency of being picked in judging. That same, multicolour sunset appears every week. Could this be due to their strong appreciation for their work paid to that feature in developing the game? I don't know, it's definitely something I like myself, but it's starting to feel as overused as the Lamborghini engine swap. Couple that along with other winners being random shots that seem amusing, yet look like they were taken with no attention paid to the photo mode settings, it leaves very few that are actually really nice, if at all. The amount of pictures that contain something I personally find visually credible or impressive, don't make up much of the winners anymore. Sure, I'm not only just one person on this planet and there are also likely proper reasons for their choosing which I'm not privy to, but this is exactly why some better understanding on the public side would help. What are we doing wrong? Or more correctly, what do the judges want to see from everyone now?

I know this is easily a borderline complaint about the competition, but to put this in perspective, this is like the equivalent of having the livery comps which run in parallel to the photo comps, pick the simplest of designs, like stripes on a dodge viper that take as little as 6 shapes, over complex designs that replicate JGTC cars, which take hours and hours to complete. There's no quality standard here, which can turn off anyone who can put in, or be willing to put in a great effort, or enter a really fantastic shot.

Pebb, you are not alone on this, but when a small selection of people aren't appreciating your pictures, I think you shouldn't let it get to you. You, along with countless others here in this forum sub-section, do such fantastic work in both the photo mode and real photography, that I often feel it is strongly underappreciated. As it may sound clear from me now, the T10/PG comps are now barely any representation of the best of the best in forzatography imo. Instead, I would look to the hundreds if not thousands out there that appreciate your work fully in other places on the web, including me. And let me tell you now, even though I've told of my old inspiration as LAZARUSspirit many times, he wasn't the only one I looked up to back in the day. :)

Personally, I use both flickr and my gallery thread on here to gauge how people feel about my pictures. Those two places do a much better job at picking out the ones that catch people's eyes when they see my phone wallpaper or catch me looking at flickr. :P

Edited by user Monday, November 21, 2016 8:08:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Editing.

#218 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 8:18:38 PM(UTC)
Pebb, I understand your frustrations. I've spent more than a few moments scratching my head at some of the decisions, but at the end of the day it's not my call. My opinion here is that as nice as they are, WPC wins are irrelevant.

To me, the mark of a great photographer is their brand, particularly their image and position in the community. The way I see it, there is no higher honor than being an inspiration to someone. To make people talk about you and your work. To create a need for your efforts. Isn't it a great feeling, to know that there are people out there going, "Man, I can't wait to see what 'X' posted!"? To me, the mark of success isn't really determined by the number of contest wins you have. Sure, it's nice to get the recognition. But it's way more satisfying, at least in my mind, to be an inspiration. To be the reason why someone opened up photomode. Sure, we weren't all great from the start. It's a process, and I'm a believer that you're always learning.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Cheers,
Ace
#219 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 6:46:54 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Nights Viper Go to Quoted Post

Very nice.
Thanks for the comment and visit.

Originally Posted by: FlexibleFelix Go to Quoted Post
Just a heads up guys, don't forget that naming and shaming isn't allowed on here. I don't want to see Pebb's thread locked. :/

Onto the discussion at hand, I can totally see the perspective here. Hell, I've experienced it in all my years entering all the comps lol, but I agree that there seems to be a consistency issue here as of recent with the picture choice. Now, on the incredibly low chance that the T10 people may see this, I say we could at least appreciate some more clarification on the process or even the results. Back in the FM4 days, 'Honourable Mentions' kind of capture the sort of clarification I'm referring to here. If we could know what we were doing that T10/PG likes by seeing how close we could have been to actually winning, then we can adjust to their tastes. Say, seeing the votes of those pictures that lie just outside of the winners circle could be more than enough hint for us to begin to understand what the judges like to see. Now, for everyone else here, I know I'm saying that we would be constricting ourselves by following their tastes, but being that we are a community that exists within the Forza community itself, we have our own ways to build ourselves up and offset such a change. It's touchy yeah, but this sort of appreciation would give peace of mind to a lot that enter these comps. I'm sure 8-9 out of 10 feel the same anxiety, concern and frustration here. By doing this, we can learn to give the contest judges the kinds of pictures that they want, which would improve the quality of pics they would want to choose from overall. Sound like I'm being arrogant of the skills of the people in this section by thinking they will win? Nay, I am confident in them. There are definitely others out there who do have skill just as good if not better and have never posted here, but at this point, I know they're few and far between. We haven't spent the longest times in photo mode in this series and gained nothing from it.

But in the end. It's T10's and PG's competitions, so in my opinion, if they think a shot by some random person who I shall call 'X' for the sake of the example, is much better than any other shot, I can't hold them to it, I can only say, "I'll just try for next week then". However, I feel like, say for another example, the heavy emphasis on any shot that depicts the sky in a sunset view for the majority of the pic getting chosen for a winner, makes me feel (Along with a few others here) rather disheartened at our earnest efforts to enter shots we feel make up the very best views that Forza contains. I'm not labeling anyone here or there for being chosen, rather that I've noticed that this is a consistency of being picked in judging. That same, multicolour sunset appears every week. Could this be due to their strong appreciation for their work paid to that feature in developing the game? I don't know, it's definitely something I like myself, but it's starting to feel as overused as the Lamborghini engine swap. Couple that along with other winners being random shots that seem amusing, yet look like they were taken with no attention paid to the photo mode settings, it leaves very few that are actually really nice, if at all. The amount of pictures that contain something I personally find visually credible or impressive, don't make up much of the winners anymore. Sure, I'm not only just one person on this planet and there are also likely proper reasons for their choosing which I'm not privy to, but this is exactly why some better understanding on the public side would help. What are we doing wrong? Or more correctly, what do the judges want to see from everyone now?

I know this is easily a borderline complaint about the competition, but to put this in perspective, this is like the equivalent of having the livery comps which run in parallel to the photo comps, pick the simplest of designs, like stripes on a dodge viper that take as little as 6 shapes, over complex designs that replicate JGTC cars, which take hours and hours to complete. There's no quality standard here, which can turn off anyone who can put in, or be willing to put in a great effort, or enter a really fantastic shot.

Pebb, you are not alone on this, but when a small selection of people aren't appreciating your pictures, I think you shouldn't let it get to you. You, along with countless others here in this forum sub-section, do such fantastic work in both the photo mode and real photography, that I often feel it is strongly underappreciated. As it may sound clear from me now, the T10/PG comps are now barely any representation of the best of the best in forzatography imo. Instead, I would look to the hundreds if not thousands out there that appreciate your work fully in other places on the web, including me. And let me tell you now, even though I've told of my old inspiration as LAZARUSspirit many times, he wasn't the only one I looked up to back in the day. :)

Personally, I use both flickr and my gallery thread on here to gauge how people feel about my pictures. Those two places do a much better job at picking out the ones that catch people's eyes when they see my phone wallpaper or catch me looking at flickr. :P
If I knew about the rule about naming and shaming, then I would of originally just posted up the image inside via a clickable link. However just to be on the safe side, I have tweaked my post to only show the image instead of the persons name. But with that said. Thanks for posting up your thoughts.

Originally Posted by: vAcesWild Go to Quoted Post
Pebb, I understand your frustrations. I've spent more than a few moments scratching my head at some of the decisions, but at the end of the day it's not my call. My opinion here is that as nice as they are, WPC wins are irrelevant.

To me, the mark of a great photographer is their brand, particularly their image and position in the community. The way I see it, there is no higher honor than being an inspiration to someone. To make people talk about you and your work. To create a need for your efforts. Isn't it a great feeling, to know that there are people out there going, "Man, I can't wait to see what 'X' posted!"? To me, the mark of success isn't really determined by the number of contest wins you have. Sure, it's nice to get the recognition. But it's way more satisfying, at least in my mind, to be an inspiration. To be the reason why someone opened up photomode. Sure, we weren't all great from the start. It's a process, and I'm a believer that you're always learning.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Cheers,
Ace
Thanks for going in-depth.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 22, 2016 6:53:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#220 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:37:24 AM(UTC)
There are many times I believed my shots were far superior to some that won, it's just a case of rolling with the punches.
You may find that they are trying to avoid letting comp mainstays winning all the time. I'm very aware that seeing the same names in there week in week out is off putting for new entrants from comments made in Facebook groups I have joined. This may just be a attempt at widening community involvement and nothing personal.
#221 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:35:50 PM(UTC)

Click for the full size

#1 > #3 | Photoshopped
#4 > #8 & #17 | Edited
#9 > #16 | Stock

Originally Posted by: Orangecroc Go to Quoted Post
There are many times I believed my shots were far superior to some that won, it's just a case of rolling with the punches.
You may find that they are trying to avoid letting comp mainstays winning all the time. I'm very aware that seeing the same names in there week in week out is off putting for new entrants from comments made in Facebook groups I have joined. This may just be a attempt at widening community involvement and nothing personal.
While they don't want some of the community being put off by the regular batch winning over the course of 2-3 weeks or more. At the end of the day it should inspire them to try harder. Because in my view, the ones who won often in FM3, FM4, FM5, FM6, FH1 & FH2 earned their victories through experience. But with that said. Cheers for popping by once again.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:39:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#222 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2016 9:53:07 PM(UTC)
Amazing set, I love the Vulcan... I got to see one at the Gold Rush Rally when they kicked it off here in Boston... There was 200 million dollars worth of cars at the start line. And a few were like the Vulcan just there for show. But WOW the car made a sound that was just like .... OMG !!!!
#223 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:06:12 AM(UTC)
Wow! Amazing!
#224 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:43:58 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: CarnivoreMrG Go to Quoted Post
Wow! Amazing!

Agreed, fantastic shot.
 1 user liked this post.
#225 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 5:53:12 AM(UTC)
Hi Pebb :-) I see you keeping up the great quality from FM6. haven't had much time to look at all the good work but I have time now.
I wont comment on the photocomp thing as I have no idea how they vote up their pictures.(and many times I don't understand their choices)
I will just say that you should keep it up. you are very talented and it shows in your pictures and editing.
I have had a great time going trough every page here. I love your work :-)
18 Pages<<7891011>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error