1 user liked this post.
#1 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 6:27:31 AM(UTC)
I watched last night's stream and I was a bit shocked at how aggressive and desperate most racers were behaving in the race. I have raced with most people in last nights race and i can say I have never seen them race so aggressively or make so many mistakes.

So this begs the question why? Imo it's not just the pressure of winning alot of money, it's the old saying give an inch take a mile. Esl set a standard in the last frc that basically gave the green light to agressive racing. I really hope esl get tough with the elite series, it dosnt need to be disqualification just a time penalty for gaining a clear advantage from an incident. I'm not sure how many people spectate the race from the lobby but putting 8 extra eyes into the lobby wud help alot and I'm sure the community wud help with that
 1 user liked this post.
#2 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 7:04:46 AM(UTC)
Some of the drivers are too aggressive while others try to race clean.

The others that try to race clean get frustrated and you'll get some rough play. Perfect example is the tie breaker race. The Frenchman was trying too hard and failed to consider that his line/braking needed to be adjusted when side by side

I could tell most drivers were trying not to corner cut but some errors were made in effort to keep up. I remember everyone bashing Crav and I was thinking to myself, "I've made those exact same mistakes when trying to catch the guy in front of me."

Flat out, the races are too short. If you're not up front it's panic to get top 5-7 because everyone knows the top 3 will likely get too much of a lead to catch.

If the races were say 20 laps with 1 Quickstop it might simmer the aggression down some.
 1 user liked this post.
#3 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 7:15:26 AM(UTC)
You make a very good point with the length of races. I was sat there last night thinking why is this so much like a public hopper. You have answered that question it was set up like a public hopper with damage a recipe for disaster
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:37:48 AM(UTC)
I didn't watch it but a friend of mine told me it was awful with corner cutting, bashing and overall dirty racing.

I agree a longer race would result in less aggression but this still doesn't excuse this kind of behaviour. Personally speaking I would rather come last and race clean than win by dirty tactics.

Sadly I didn't manage to race at the weekend. I qualified but after changing my gamertag I forgot to update this on the ESL website.
 2 users liked this post.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:49:28 AM(UTC)
Short races. Spec, completely stable cars. No drafting effect to speak of. 16 guys who can all lap within tenths of each other, lap after lap after lap, all using chase cam and braking line. With that combination, there's not much room for the little micro-mistakes that can give the guy behind an opportunity to pass cleanly, and so risks have to be taken. If everyone had raced 100% clean and not taken cheeky half-chances there would have been no overtaking at all, just a procession of cars all flawlessly sticking to the line and hitting their braking points and apexes, and the whole thing would have been decided on qualifying positions, and been utterly dull.

Personally, I thought it was quite entertaining. There were a couple of iffy one-off moments and a couple of players who perfectly illustrate the difference between a racer and a hotlapper, but I didn't think it was dirty overall, just competitive.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:50:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:56:06 AM(UTC)
My main concern was the aggressive nature of the race. I agree it was competitive and I really enjoyed watching it but there were more than a few 1 offs I think there were 2 many. I suppose it's a very fine line between competitive racing and over agressive racing. Who ever works out how to get these boys on the track wothout all the agressive will show us some true entertainment. I mean I was shouting at the screen, on the edge of my seat I was fully engaged. I havnt enjoyed watching motorsport like that since Damon hill won the world chapionship.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:45:22 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Zedeeyen Go to Quoted Post
Short races. Spec, completely stable cars. No drafting effect to speak of. 16 guys who can all lap within tenths of each other, lap after lap after lap, all using chase cam and braking line. With that combination, there's not much room for the little micro-mistakes that can give the guy behind an opportunity to pass cleanly, and so risks have to be taken. If everyone had raced 100% clean and not taken cheeky half-chances there would have been no overtaking at all, just a procession of cars all flawlessly sticking to the line and hitting their braking points and apexes, and the whole thing would have been decided on qualifying positions, and been utterly dull.

Personally, I thought it was quite entertaining. There were a couple of iffy one-off moments and a couple of players who perfectly illustrate the difference between a racer and a hotlapper, but I didn't think it was dirty overall, just competitive.

^ This x 100. And also considering that the potential prizes are very huge, it makes even more sense for the players to be a lot more aggressive than they normally would. In a regular online race you race to have a good battle. In Forza RC you race for the $15K prize.

On a less controversial note I thought it was hilarious when the casters accidentally commentated on the drivatars after race 1. :P

Edited by user Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:46:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#8 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 9:59:32 AM(UTC)
Three of the 16 were DQ'd and lost the cash earned for making it into top 16.

I would think others would learn from that if they want to collect upon the prize they earned.

Seems like a good deterrent to me. Hit them where it counts...money. Good job ESL.

Notification

Icon
Error