Rank: Driver's License
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:59:10 PM(UTC)
This is not a whinge nor whine about my experience so far, but just seeking some opinionated advice on what I should do.

First up, I am not a car enthusiast and I actually hate watching motor car racing. Car games are not my thing as while I consider myself an excellent driver in the real world, that 30+ yrs experience does not translate to a console game.

BUT, having said all that, I LOVE Forza. I could play it all day and have pretty much completed all the achievements. I drive manual but still rely on 1/2 assists for most of the options (I'm on about 50% bonus credits). I can set fast clean laps on the leaderboards (top 20%) for most tracks.

So in regards to the ForzaRC, I have signed up all events and play in the leagues as much as I can, but for whatever reason, I finish every race in last or second last place, often well over a minute behind the leader, achieving only 100 points (or 300 if second last), making this an unenjoyable grind.

Am I wasting my time? Should I just resign myself to the fact I am nowhere near as good as I thought? I entered this for the prizes, but given the grind and humiliation, I'd rather just spend the $$$ on the DLCs etc.

Opinions....?

Edited by user Wednesday, August 17, 2016 6:00:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: R-Class Racing License
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:49:04 PM(UTC)
what assists specifically? I assume you aren't using assisted braking, but if you are it would keep you from doing well since it will brake for no reason automatically.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:49:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: Driver's License
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:53:22 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: leetorts Go to Quoted Post
what assists specifically? I assume you aren't using assisted braking, but if you are it would keep you from doing well since it will brake for no reason automatically.


None of the basic ones which give you 0%, so no, assisted braking is not used.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 11:40:03 PM(UTC)
I say keep at it. The only way to improve is to continually take on those that are better than you and try to learn what it is that they do that is better than yourself. A lot of people are finding the ForzaRC league a bit of a wreckfest which isn't fun. Is that why you are coming in last place?
Rank: Driver's License
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:25:18 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Lasher67 Go to Quoted Post


I drive manual but still rely on 1/2 assists for most of the options (I'm on about 50% bonus credits). I can set fast clean laps on the leaderboards (top 20%) for most tracks.

Am I wasting my time? Should I just resign myself to the fact I am nowhere near as good as I thought? I entered this for the prizes, but given the grind and humiliation, I'd rather just spend the $$$ on the DLCs etc.

Opinions....?


Keep at it you will get better.
I started after years of PGR with all assists on but quickly started to remove then.
Personally I now drive using a xbox controller with no brake or suggested line assists.
Only STM in the dry and TC+STM in the wet. I just cant handle the back end stepping out.
Manual gears with clutch assist.
Normal steering and cockpit view.
I'm not the best out there 'cus I just can't drift.
Remember any assists that helps with traction or braking will slow you down in corners and thats where you will lose most of your time. Sometimes its better to enter the corner wide and slow to get the speed and acceleration out.
But then if you're in the top 20% for most tracks you know about cornering.

Edited by user Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:29:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I once read a book on Black Holes. But on reflection it wasn't very enlightening and I couldn't see the relevance of it.
Rank: Driver's License
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:49:08 AM(UTC)
Strategy!!! I somehow found myself in the pinnacle division where I don't have a prayer at winning a race (which is great because the competition is generally clean and skilled). What I've found is that race strategy can sneak me up higher than I belong. By driving conservatively and avoiding the pile ups you can move up despite being slower. Also, just because you have damage doesn't mean you have to pit. If you can drive a lightly damaged car without losing 30-40 seconds (about the time it costs to pit) on your total time, stay out and be very nice to cars rapidly approaching you from behind. By doing this I was able to sneak into 6th place last night despite being the 14th fastest car. Good luck and stick with it. You will find yourself in the top 50% in no time.

Edited by user Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:49:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: C-Class Racing License
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:36:59 PM(UTC)
To get into the top 10% - play the game. A lot. Do not use any assist which does a control for you, such as braking, turning, or shifting (except TCS for when you race in R class or above).

To get into the top 5-1% - use tunes, or even better, learn how to tune. Master each track and be able to do a flying lap w/o a braking line. The braking line is actually a distraction once you get to a certain point.

I hate to be a jerk, but top 20% is really nothing at all, since everyone behind you consists of newbies and wreckers. The people who actually play this game frequently constitute about the top 10%.
Rank: Driver's License
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2016 5:06:29 PM(UTC)
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I discovered over the course of this week why I'm struggling so much.

When playing single player, I was mostly achievement hunting. As I mentioned in the OP, I have gained most of the achievements. To fast track this, I have my drivatars on "Inexperienced". Great for winning single player races, but bad for pitting my "skills" against the real world.

I bought Forza for the enjoyment of playing, not because I love cars. Thanks to Assists, you can configure the game from being an arcade racer to a real world motorsport sim. I really know nothing about cars. I play for the fun factor.

Last night I completed all the Porsche expansion achievements, doing the VIR 31 lap race. I did it with rewinds off and STM on/TCS off (by accident - should have been the other way around). It was a pain and a struggle, but I persevered and ended up winning, despite over an hour of regular collisions and spinning out on the grass.

The result? I don't think I'm ready for competitive multiplayer leagues. The one time I did log on over the weekend, I joined a ForzaRC league race, avoided the collisions on the first bend, but then as I took off, I sideswiped someone and immediately got booted.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions and advice - give me another 6 months of honing my skills before trying to be competitive. The fact I now comfortably drive on manual is an achievement for me :-)

Much appreciated...
Rank: Driver's License
#9 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2016 7:05:38 AM(UTC)
@Lasher67 if you're finding the competitive lobbies to hard go to the rivals sections and try to get some fast laps in. Watching others drivitars will help you see the fastest line and improve your times.
Or just go into the open multiplayer lobbies and work through the car classes but remember to load a tune to match the other cars you are racing. In the open lobbies there will always be others racing poorly so it will help improve your reflexes (crash avoidance) and if you crash out it is not going to matter much as long as you don't get to frustrated with the numpties.

Edit: You could set up a private lobby with your friends + (n)drivatars to race and learn your race craft. That way apart from racing with real people you will get the feel of racing in a full lobby.

Edited by user Monday, August 22, 2016 7:43:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I once read a book on Black Holes. But on reflection it wasn't very enlightening and I couldn't see the relevance of it.
Rank: Driver's License
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:49:23 PM(UTC)
Taking the Ford GT limping back to the pits after the usual horrific crash at the first turn of Sebring and still placing 16th out of 21 and scoring good points was probably the most satisfying thing I'll ever do in this tournament... So yeah, I think it is worth persevering. (and now I'm around the 50% for the DLC prize!)
Rank: Driver's Permit
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:12:56 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Lasher67 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I discovered over the course of this week why I'm struggling so much.

When playing single player, I was mostly achievement hunting. As I mentioned in the OP, I have gained most of the achievements. To fast track this, I have my drivatars on "Inexperienced". Great for winning single player races, but bad for pitting my "skills" against the real world.

I bought Forza for the enjoyment of playing, not because I love cars. Thanks to Assists, you can configure the game from being an arcade racer to a real world motorsport sim. I really know nothing about cars. I play for the fun factor.

Last night I completed all the Porsche expansion achievements, doing the VIR 31 lap race. I did it with rewinds off and STM on/TCS off (by accident - should have been the other way around). It was a pain and a struggle, but I persevered and ended up winning, despite over an hour of regular collisions and spinning out on the grass.

The result? I don't think I'm ready for competitive multiplayer leagues. The one time I did log on over the weekend, I joined a ForzaRC league race, avoided the collisions on the first bend, but then as I took off, I sideswiped someone and immediately got booted.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions and advice - give me another 6 months of honing my skills before trying to be competitive. The fact I now comfortably drive on manual is an achievement for me :-)

Much appreciated...


I often finish in last place and have a blast doing so. No assists with a gamepad. I try hard to drive clean and respectful (often times unsuccessfully), and I try to dodge the wreckers.

Maybe you have set the expectation that getting the reward or achievement is the fun part? If you are only having fun because there is an integer of great value next to your name then last place sucks. But f you are truly driving just for fun, multiplayer is very satisfying, even dead last.

That being said, show up to win every time. The struggle is the best part.

RaceBoy and Super GT have great videos on their youtube channels on how to survive lap1, race etiquette and tips on how to attack the track. I have played Forza for a very long time and I can still learn a lot from them. Maybe they can help you too?

Notification

Icon
Error