2 Pages12Prev
#26 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:10:05 PM(UTC)
Useful info, thanks for checking Wildcat.

For aspiring painters here, the takeaway from this change is that the work you post to the storefront from now on is likely going to be seen by a lot fewer people than before. This is because in the current system, it appears that only people that have tagged you as a "followed creator" will see your new liveries in the initial design selection screens, eg

Community -> Paints
Garage -> Designs and Paints -> Find New Designs
Autoshow -> [select car] -> Recommended Designs

The only way people who do NOT follow you will see your new work is by actively triggering a search from inside one of these screens.

TL;DR

1) Liveries you post to the storefront from here on out are going to get less visibility in game -- adjust your expectations accordingly.
2) Reposting liveries as a way to drive more downloads is now ineffective - don't do it.
3) The only people that will be able to see your new stuff without searching are your followers. Build up this list as much as possible.
4) Post galleries of your work online to get more exposure.
5) Enter livery contests which can net you significant numbers of downloads and new followers. Winning contests in particular can land your cars in Recommended Designs screens.
6) Tag all of your designs with keywords, and make sure they are appropriately categorised so that when people do search, your liveries are more likely to come up.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:22:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#27 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:46:27 PM(UTC)
Basically what I've been saying for the last 2 weeks...NO FOLLOWERS NO DOWNLOAD!

not that a big a deal

#28 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:39:01 AM(UTC)
There definitely has been a change. I randomly unshared 6 "Five-Star" paints and re-posted them a few days ago to test the theory of the dwindling downloads. These re-posted paints are now attracting little to no attention. My contest winners and other "Five Star" rated liveries, on the other hand, are continuing to show high downloads, uses, and likes.

I posted two new paints today, I suspect they won't garner much attention either.

Edited by user Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:11:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#29 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:54:51 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ryn0s3r1 Go to Quoted Post
I posted two new paints today, I suspect they won't garner much attention either.

That's the worst part. Why bother working on new stuff if no one is going to see it?
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:42:42 AM(UTC)
I've only recently started making better paints and sharing them, what a terrible time to start. My older not as good paints got instant downloads, not loads but enough to make me feel it's worthwhile. Now I'm making much better stuff (I think) and it just bombs, a handful of downloads if I'm lucky. At least my cars should sell for mega millions as they are probably one offs ;) even posting photos in the paint booth doesn't generate much interest. Maybe il take out a tv ad. Seriously though, will the new paint situation be fixed again as it's mostly pointless now?

Edited by user Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:44:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#31 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:23:48 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: SeveredTester16 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ryn0s3r1 Go to Quoted Post

That's the worst part. Why bother working on new stuff if no one is going to see it?

This is essentially the whole scheme of the situation that I can't think around. I uploaded a whole bunch of random old designs I had created months ago all with the same keywords:

drift drag jdm hotwheels hot wheels race carbon stripe

This was all an attempt to see if I could manipulate the system by using certain stereotypical keywords. NOPE. Literally zero downloads, none for any of the eight I had uploaded, in the week that they were up. What exactly is the goal within the bigger picture here? I'm going to halt my design making process for now and just stay off FH3 in general. The only reason I got on was to collect design and tune payouts, and with that gone I might as well just not get on until this gets changed.

Yes, everyone hates seeing the well beyond crappy designs showing up in recommended, but most of the time (from both what I've heard from other players and seen myself) a majority of the designs that initially showed up were legitimate race designs or other notable replica liveries (speaking only for race cars). Very few people actually try on their paints, and even fewer obsess over the small details when creating a true replica. The players that start learning and practicing now literally have no incentive to even begin because they know their content will not get widespread attention due to these things being changed around. Basically, only the popular benefit now. I guess I should be glad that I got up to at least pro...
#32 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 1:41:49 PM(UTC)
well all of these results are a real bummer. If established excellent painters get almost zero downloads, there is definitely a change that seems to leave new designs lost in the muck. I had new painter fever and now my desire to paint has changed. I know I am supposed to paint for me and me only, but I enjoyed sharing and now it seems dejecting to share good work and get zero downloads.

I think I will just start sharing designs and ignore the zero downloads. It is difficult to ignore because the first thing you see in the pause menu is 3 new messages. Todays messages: my Drivatar was in 3 races, Tunes had 10 DL, 0 likes and 21 uses, Designs had 21 DL, 2 likes and 30 uses. Everything used to be 10 times that amount. even my Drivatar is used less. I guess Horizon 3 is telling me I suck, LOL.

#33 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:09:31 PM(UTC)
Just checked mine, and am still getting a steady 250 a day because of previous competition wins, however, anything new has died a death. Vinyls are still going okay, and I haven't seen much change in that, so it seems to be liveries that are suffering. I can see this putting a dampener on any new livery artists, I was quite happy when I first started to see even a few downloads and uses and encouraged to continue and improve, but if there are none at all, then anyone is going to feel a bit unloved.

I'll carry on, but I hope Turn10 address this.
Twitter: @RallyzX360
#34 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 7:20:02 AM(UTC)
Okay ... after some conversations with someone at T10 and some more research ... I have some updates on this issue.

Painter/Tuner Status Level
First, some quick housekeeping. I asked about the exact requirements for star ratings on individual paints and tunes as well as requirements for painter/tuner levels. The levels take into account all downloads, likes and uses and apply to both painters and tuners. Here are the confirmed thresholds for each painter/tuner status level (did not get confirmation of individual paint/tune requirements but have asked for that):
Amateur - 500
SemiPro - 2,500
Pro - 5,000
Elite - 10,000
Legend - 50,000

New Design Download Issue
Now, on to our sharing/download issue. I was told that this was just a temporary issue and that it should now be back to how it was working before (more on that below). They recently moved to a new livery storage configuration at their datacenter and the "new" curation source was temporarily turned off during that migration. This is why no one was seeing any of their new designs being downloaded ... because they were not being shown to anyone. The "new" curation source has now been turned back on. The timing of this happening when the Hot Wheels expansion dropped was just coincidence and there was nothing intentionally changed in the code or the sharing/download rewards system.

Curation Process
Also asked about how designs/tunes are chosen to be shown in the "Featured" areas of the AutoShow, Garage and Community sections. There are automated and manual components of the curation process that determines the 20 designs that you are shown when searching for designs. Here's the curation source priority order:

(1) Featured Designs - These are contest winners, community team selections and liveries in active auctions by Legend painters with their own liveries applied. I have asked for clarification on this last category ... I assume that the same curation process is used to determine what paints show up in the Elite Designs section of the Auction House and this is what they were referring to. One note on the active auction featured designs ... there is a minimum # of required layers on the paint to qualify as a 'Featured' design.

(2) Friends/Club Members - These are works by members of your XBox Live friends list and any club members of clubs you belong to.

(3) Followed Creators - Paints/tunes of creators you have chosen to follow in game.

(4) New Paints/Tunes - Newly shared paints and tunes for the vehicle you're currently in.

(5) Popular Paints/Tunes - Paints and tunes flagged as popular. Not sure if the 'Popular' flag is given by someone on the community team or if it's the result of some automated process.

To confirm the list above, this morning I searched Recommended Designs on the Porsche 911 GT3 RS ... and the results of the search were exactly as was listed above. The first design I was shown was a winner of a recent livery contest and was marked as 'Featured'. The next 4 designs I was shown were paints done by people on my XBox Live friends list. The next 3 designs were from creators that I follow in game. The next 5 paints were all 1 or 2 star paints of creators that I do not follow. (These are the new designs that we did not see being featured for a couple of weeks while their datacenter changes were being made.) The last 7 paints I was shown were all 5-star paints that were marked as 'Popular'.

Based on what I saw there, it does appear that new paints are now being shown in the Recommended Designs sections now. Also ... on my own shared designs, I shared a new design 3 days ago and it now has 3 downloads, 1 use and 1 like. This is not a new or popular car, so I was not expecting huge download numbers, but at least it is getting something.

Edited by user Friday, May 19, 2017 7:25:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#35 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 7:31:56 AM(UTC)
Wildcat, thanks for your efforts in following this up and getting official feedback. Sounds like good news.
Twitter: @RallyzX360
 1 user liked this post.
#36 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 8:03:51 AM(UTC)
As of 5/18 everything with the store front appears to have returned to normal. Shared a new design and it's almost 5 star in less than an hour!
#37 Posted : Saturday, May 20, 2017 5:45:05 AM(UTC)
A few more bits of information....

I had asked for confirmation of star level thresholds for individual paints/tunes. Evidently it's more complicated than just the combined download, like and usage numbers used to determine overall painter/tuner levels. The popularity rating (1-5 stars) for individual paints/tunes is more of a moving target. Each paint/tune does get a popularity score which is its combined downloads, likes and uses ... but the thresholds for the different levels is the part that is dynamic. The servers builds percentage thresholds for the levels based on the existing popularity scores in the system and then each file is slotted into those 5 buckets based on its score. So there's no fixed number of DLs, likes and uses to make a certain level ... the percentage thresholds change over time as new paints/tunes are shared and added into the mix.

Edited by user Saturday, May 20, 2017 5:46:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#38 Posted : Saturday, May 20, 2017 5:59:50 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: z NISMO z Go to Quoted Post
As of 5/18 everything with the store front appears to have returned to normal. Shared a new design and it's almost 5 star in less than an hour!

Thanks God!
#39 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 9:34:52 PM(UTC)
Was on about 2100 a day and now im barely getting 900 a day.

Not that it affects me nearly as much as those striving to become legendaries, but i do kind of find it annoying that the new stuffs im taking 10s of hours to make are literally getting no attention at all.

Guess I should start moving on to making one-offs and the pile of request i refused to make now :/
#40 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 8:24:15 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG Wildcat Go to Quoted Post

I had asked for confirmation of star level thresholds for individual paints/tunes. Evidently it's more complicated than just the combined download, like and usage numbers used to determine overall painter/tuner levels. The popularity rating (1-5 stars) for individual paints/tunes is more of a moving target. Each paint/tune does get a popularity score which is its combined downloads, likes and uses ... but the thresholds for the different levels is the part that is dynamic. The servers builds percentage thresholds for the levels based on the existing popularity scores in the system and then each file is slotted into those 5 buckets based on its score. So there's no fixed number of DLs, likes and uses to make a certain level ... the percentage thresholds change over time as new paints/tunes are shared and added into the mix.

I had wondered about that- I've had designs go over 100 combined without hitting 5 stars, but also had 5 star designs that weren't quite at 100...
Not by much either way, but definitely not reacting to the magic number of 100.

#41 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 5:51:36 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: SeveredTester16 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PTG Wildcat Go to Quoted Post

I had wondered about that- I've had designs go over 100 combined without hitting 5 stars, but also had 5 star designs that weren't quite at 100...
Not by much either way, but definitely not reacting to the magic number of 100.

My carbon FXX and SV designs constantly get five stars not even five hours after I reupload them. 3 to 8 likes with roughly 50 downloads and usually over 100 uses (for whatever reason).

The garbage they're telling WildCat is essentially irrelevant to every legend painter. If they get within 2,000 total to 50k, they're going to get legend no matter what. At that close of a threshold, players will strive to get them to legend regardless of how ****** their designs are. This is why some of these "legend painters" got there only from sharing the same groups on every car lol. So like I said, just a bunch of irrelevant junk up to the legend status. Now, for the lower four levels, I'd assume that does give a slim bit of insight. But the numbers stay relatively constant unless the player has gotten thousands of downloads and uses but close to zero likes (which almost never happens).

A little note for everyone looking to hit legend painter: do what everyone else is doing. Don't make quality paints, don't spend hours on making a perfect race replica. Make one awesome design and save each side (top, bottom, sides, etc) to their own vinyl groups and paste each of them to every car you can get your hands on. Most of the time you won't even have to reposition them between cars. Share them, and so long as they're "buzz paints" you're stats will skyrocket. Ideas for paints I guess I could point out: Spiderman, Batman, basically anything a younger audience would adore. Mountain Dew, Monster... the possibilities are endless.
#42 Posted : Thursday, November 25, 2021 10:36:29 AM(UTC)
I have really good liveries that I put a lot of work on. I typically get at least 200 downloads per new livery but few days ago it all stopped.
I get zero downloads on some really awesome liveries. The only downloads that I do get is from liveries that I had out there for a while.

In example I take a livery that I've put on a car that go more than a thousand downloads change it a bit put it on the same car or another one and get zero absolutely no downloads.
That doesn't make sense unless my new liveries are getting zero visibility and that's what I think is going on.

new liveries are getting zero visibility and they need to fix that.

I stopped make liveries altogether, I make tunes instead. I get way more downloads on tunes.
2 Pages12Prev

Notification

Icon
Error