#1 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2021 6:57:01 PM(UTC)
So not only is this setting useless for wheels this setting is also useless for controllers. Let me explain why and how I found this out.

So I'm a tuner and I enjoy tuning different cars and figuring out what tweaks to make to get them to run properly. A couple of days ago I used my wheel so I obviously put the setting to normal so that the car would be drivable and actually enjoyable to use.

Low and behold, I forgot to put it back to sim when I was done. So the past 2 days I've been tinkering with my cars because something felt "off" about them. When I finished with my tinkering I actually managed to beat just about every single time I already had made, keep in mind, the times I made were already top leaderboard times and I do have a few non-rival #1s now.

When I first started playing this game, using all the track was nothing new to me, but what I've improved over time was not the use of the track, but instead, how soon I could get back on the accelerator during or after a corner. Since I can now min-max just about every corner as long as I know the car and have confidence in it, I'm a much more competent driver because of this.

Now you might be asking? What does this have to do with sim steering? Well remember how I said that min-maxing a corner isn't an issue for me anymore? I meant that.

The biggest issue with sim steering is sim twitch due to how this functions on a controller basically removing any and all counter steer that is normally done for you, ie. not fully the the game predicts about how much counter steer you would need and as long as you are on that marker you are good to go. Because sim steering removes all counter steer unnecessarily, you would have to wonder what benefit does this give you for using this setting. The only benefit from using this setting was being able to change the direction of your car faster since normal steering feels like you may have input lag or in other words, a delay in behavior from what the car is doing to your inputs to put it simply. But this came at the cost of what was stated above, ie. less control over your car.

Now the tunes for normal and sim steering are completely different, but if you tune a normal steering car right, you can practically get the same effects that sim steering has to offer with none of the drawbacks. So because I can min-max, I no longer have to worry about needing to input sudden amounts of counter steer because my car just loses all control.

But that's not all. Since I am a far better racer than I used to be I fully understand that the more rear brake bias you can have the faster you will be due to your trail braking being far more effective and efficient. With normal steering my brake bias is actually 1-2% lower than if I were to be using sim steering. That's HUGE! This is not some small factor, you can shave off much more time during cornering with more rear brake bias.

So not only do you NOT have to deal with the terrible side effects of sim steering, you get to use more brake bias to the rear, have a much more stable car and you can go faster more consistently. So I have to ask, what even IS the point of sim steering? We all originally thought it was to turn faster and sharper so you can go faster. But the reality of the situation is that a normal steering car can be tuned to behave almost identically without having the draw backs AND you get to have more rear brake bias in the car. So is sim steering just a thing to make the game unnecessarily harder because that is definitely how I'm feeling right now since my consistency and speeds have all risen and now I have to redo all of my tunes since I was using the wrong setting to begin with. I don't even know what to say frankly, sim steering has always felt pretty terrible to use and now this just seals the deal.
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2021 7:03:42 PM(UTC)
I've not had much experience but from what I can tell, having those dampening/counter-steering effects from normal steering would transfer into a wheel yes? If so them sim steering is for people on a wheel, where they can do all the counter-steering themselves and no dampening means a better feeling connection with the car/road through the vibrations and movements of the wheel.
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2021 7:36:38 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Randomly7552 Go to Quoted Post
I've not had much experience but from what I can tell, having those dampening/counter-steering effects from normal steering would transfer into a wheel yes? If so them sim steering is for people on a wheel, where they can do all the counter-steering themselves and no dampening means a better feeling connection with the car/road through the vibrations and movements of the wheel.

Sim steering is known to be completely broken on racing wheels unless you use a third party app

Notification

Icon
Error