108 Pages<<8687888990>>PrevNext
 6 users liked this post.
#2176 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2021 5:04:34 PM(UTC)
I happened to turn 36 today, and for my bday I made it to Rank 4 in FFA. All Dirt events strangely, and I tend to enjoy them.

Tried many variations (including Rocklxd) of drag tire Ford GT, ran a 2.02.7 flagged, I think I'll save my time since it isn't much better than my F1 time.
#2177 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2021 5:17:21 PM(UTC)
Happy birthday RB and congrats on making League 4. A fine achievement with the obstacles the game puts in the way!
 3 users liked this post.
#2178 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2021 5:35:20 PM(UTC)
For next week, I’m going to do two events:

Edinburgh City S2 - I’m not going to ban anything but suggest people leave the CCGT until later in the week, if they have time to try a few options.

Lakehurst Forest Trail S1 - no Baja WP, just because I don’t like it.

Edit - I have a time at Edinburgh in an FXX running auto, which probably means it’s approaching two years old. Quite pleased it’s in the top 5% still but I’ll leave that as a target for a few days! Should be amusing at least.

Edited by user Sunday, February 7, 2021 5:39:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2179 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 12:40:13 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: breeminator Go to Quoted Post
Re the "old men" discussion above, I'm in my 50s, so no excuses from anyone in their 40s who is slower than me!

Damn, this excuse "being in my 50's" was the ace up my sleeve but you've just blown it for me Bree! Seriously though I'm not blaming age (though I'm sure it doesn't help) I'm just not that quick a driver compared to most of you here, but I'm enjoying the challenge when I have the time and am still improving so all's good :)
15/15 = 93%
#2180 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 1:42:31 AM(UTC)
Its indeed the old men ´club´ here, i´m 51 🙃
#2181 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 3:43:20 AM(UTC)
The benefit of being over 50 is you're old enough to try to become the oldest Grand Champion in Rocket League, with the oldest known to date being 48:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZC4n4Qwcy0

I'm down in Platinum at the moment (less than two months since first playing the game), so a long way to go yet.
#2182 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 4:24:25 AM(UTC)
What trigger and stick settings does everyone prefer? I’ve kept mine on 0-100 across the board, but if tweaking those help I’m game to tweak them.

Also, any tips for RWD appreciated. I’m probably just too aggressive on the accelerator but most RWD I just spin my wheels at launch and frequently in turns, but if I try to baby it I get dusted by others flying right by me, so I stick with AWD 99% of the time.
 1 user liked this post.
#2183 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 4:36:35 AM(UTC)
Show the telemetry on screen to check that you are seeing 0 and 100, and if not, bring the dead zones in until you do.

I have the same problem with the RWD cars that easily spin the wheels, it seems like more throttle spins the wheels, less throttle makes me accelerate slower than a top ghost in the same car. I do better with TC on (but even with TC on, you need to try to drive like it's off, as that is faster than just flooring the throttle), but it's ultimately impossible to match a really good TC off performance.
#2184 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 5:25:49 AM(UTC)
It’s tough to drive the RWD powerbuilds. It is just a matter of trying to keep your throttle control as precise as possible to maintain speed without wheelspin, and get the power down at exactly the right time. I don’t mind trying it occasionally (but am usually quite some way off the real experts) but I lose patience and wouldn’t want to have to drive like that all the time.

One trick you can try is to keep it in a higher gear than you would do otherwise - as lower gear means more chance of wheelspin. Quite a lot of the cars will work pretty well if you keep them in 4th/5th gear albeit you will be losing time out of slower corners to someone controlling the wheelspin in lower gears.
 5 users liked this post.
#2185 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 9:00:17 AM(UTC)
I gave the RWD drag tyre Ford GT another try. Made my own build+tune with the same power as rocklxd's, but 8lb lighter. Did 2:03.7 with it, and I'm sure I could do better with more time trying, but I just wasn't enjoying it, so I've stopped. I don't like how you can't really correct it, it's kind of all or nothing whether each corner goes right or not, which for me, isn't really what a driving game should be about.
#2186 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 9:28:45 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: breeminator Go to Quoted Post
I gave the RWD drag tyre Ford GT another try. Made my own build+tune with the same power as rocklxd's, but 8lb lighter. Did 2:03.7 with it, and I'm sure I could do better with more time trying, but I just wasn't enjoying it, so I've stopped. I don't like how you can't really correct it, it's kind of all or nothing whether each corner goes right or not, which for me, isn't really what a driving game should be about.

I think you just summed up a lot of these rivals events when it comes to chasing the very top times - the cars you need to use typically drive horribly and it's more a case of who has the most patience to get a lucky run where all the stars align and the car goes where you'd like it to.

I had a quick try of this week's dirt event. I was beating my Alfa time in a Ford Mustang DD until I got to one part where the car decided it wasn't going to turn so I clipped a barrier. I just exited the game at that point, I think I am losing interest in these :p

Edited by user Monday, February 8, 2021 9:31:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#2187 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 10:25:09 AM(UTC)
I dont like to drive S2, its too fast for me, after about 30 runs i dont have a single clean lap.
 4 users liked this post.
#2188 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 11:07:36 AM(UTC)
Ok, I’d forgotten how hard Lakehurst Trail is in S1. It’s a very bumpy course and you need high levels of control and some luck to run it clean. It feels like a 5* difficulty rivals event. As the other event is S2, that’s a lot of speed this week. I’m going to suggest we add a C class run at Lakehurst as well for those who would prefer something a little more controlled. I’ll still probably focus on S1 personally but a C class event as well will give something a bit different,
#2189 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 11:28:48 AM(UTC)
Lakehurst also has an incredibly boring leaderboard. I’ve just done 1.49.2 in the Porsche 718 WP, which puts me 60th. Of the 59 times ahead of me, 58 are either set in the T100 WP, 33S or Trailcat - one lone Nomad in 2nd on the leaderboard is the only variety.
#2190 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 12:04:51 PM(UTC)
Was trying to improve my time on last weeks rivals, but when I finally found good pace for first two chicanes I started to mess up in other place. Finally didn't improve.

PS. I'm happy to see a lower class :)
 1 user liked this post.
#2191 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 1:53:14 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
Lakehurst also has an incredibly boring leaderboard. I’ve just done 1.49.2 in the Porsche 718 WP, which puts me 60th. Of the 59 times ahead of me, 58 are either set in the T100 WP, 33S or Trailcat - one lone Nomad in 2nd on the leaderboard is the only variety.

Suggestion: Each week, limit these rivals events to the same cars and tracks as the Trial. Less thinking/choosing for you Jezza and encourages variety for participants. I really liked the Jaguar Trial a couple weeks ago because I hadn't driven most of those cars, and I "secretly" competed against y'all on your rivals track with my Jaguar builds.

6 users liked this post.
#2192 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 2:49:37 PM(UTC)
Final results for S1 Derwent Lakeside:

Jezza - 2.01.088 - Ford GT
Alerioon - 2.01.688 - NSX
Ziperr - 2.01.713 - Ford GT
Baron - 2.02.923 - NSX
RB033 - 2.03.369 - F1
Bree - 2.03.545 - Ford GT
Rex - 2.04.691 - F1
Smoke - 2.05.292 - NSX
Odessa - 2.05.692 - MC12
Matteo - 2.06.026 - Alfa 155
FN - 2.06.099 - NSX
Runruss - 2.07.094 - Ford GT
Spiko - 2.07.094 - MC12
PABO - 2.09.263 - F1
Potbox - 2.10.414 - Corvette 20
Squryl - 2.10.731 - MC12 FE
M0rt - 2.10.898 - Zonda C
PiratePenguin - 2.11.281 - NSX
Rat Catcha - 2.12.633 - BMW M4
Ribeye - 2.24.645 - Countach
 1 user liked this post.
#2193 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 2:53:40 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Potbox Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post

Suggestion: Each week, limit these rivals events to the same cars and tracks as the Trial. Less thinking/choosing for you Jezza and encourages variety for participants. I really liked the Jaguar Trial a couple weeks ago because I hadn't driven most of those cars, and I "secretly" competed against y'all on your rivals track with my Jaguar builds.

Hi Potbox! I have done that in the past. The slight issue is people may have already set good times on those tracks and I try and find ones without too many times set by us already. I’m happy to do something like that next week, if people would prefer though.
#2194 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 2:59:15 PM(UTC)
I think the CCGT should probably just be banned outright, Jezza. There are only 2 times inside the top 50 and 16 inside the top 100 that aren't CCGT times. I'd rather see some off-meta choices because there seem to be at least 5 suitable options that won't best the CCGT but will be competitive with one another. Just my opinion, though.

I've done a 2:00.454 in the Aston Vulcan AMR. I can get that time into the sub 2 minute group for sure, I'm going to try out the two MC12 variants next to see if they're any better.

Switching to S1 Dirt now, I think I may have a time set on that already but I'm sure I can better it with a half hour's work. Going to try and stay out of the 33S for now, unless I have no choice.
 1 user liked this post.
#2195 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 3:21:05 PM(UTC)
Started off with the ID. R because you can use it so rarely and I like it. Mid 1:59s currently but sub 59 should be possible. Just have to get used to its width. Those splitters & spoilers love getting stuck everywhere.

Edited by user Monday, February 8, 2021 3:22:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#2196 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 3:36:11 PM(UTC)
Ok yeah I agree Alerioon. Should be interesting without that car dominating. NO CCGT. That probably means I should also ban myself from using the drag tyres CLK as well, so no CLK GTR (drag tyres) either.
#2197 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 3:52:30 PM(UTC)
Just to say that my CCGT time was set previously, I would have tried something else for this first otherwise as Jezza suggested. Whether I can personally beat that time in another car, I don't know yet. Probably not but we'll see.
 1 user liked this post.
#2198 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 4:10:37 PM(UTC)
I know FN - you have times most tracks though! There’s nothing I can guarantee will beat it - it is the best car - but you could try Nalak’s MC12 FE - that should be strong.
#2199 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 5:57:00 PM(UTC)
1:48.509 on Lakehurst Forest Trail in the Rebel TRX, GreetedDust's S1 CC tune (I think it's called better gearing). Tried keeping up to Jezza in the Porsche at first but I find this track is so bumpy that it suits an off-road vehicle with a lot of suspension travel so you can actually apply the power.
#2200 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 6:39:56 PM(UTC)
Closed to within one tenth of Aleriooon with a further few runs in the Porsche. It can go a bit quicker as I can’t quite get the tricky last section right but the Rebel is clearly a lot more stable. I’ve got a couple more classic racers to try before moving on to more obvious choices though.
108 Pages<<8687888990>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error