3 Pages123Next
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2020 1:54:10 PM(UTC)
I watched some gameplay from FH4 on Series X and noticed lack dynamic headlight shadows during the race. Is this a bug? One X version has dynamic shadows all the time.

#2 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2020 2:36:23 PM(UTC)
Looks cool! I have XBox One S, and it has no shadows like that.
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2020 4:40:02 AM(UTC)
1X doesn't have anything dynamic in performance mode (it's a bit ugly). But it should be standard on SX beast I thought.
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2020 4:59:53 AM(UTC)
Yeah it isn't very taxing on my PC so I'm surprised it's not enabled.
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2020 2:25:56 PM(UTC)
The joys of outsourced development.

It does make a nice difference at night. IIRC it's restricted to Ultra and above on PC and doesn't cost all that much performance either.

The XSX is supposed to go head on against an RTX 2070 and win. This game is light, so I'm sure they could've enabled the feature without sacrificing locked 60 fps.

A shame, really.
May the forced induction be with you.

Alice >>>>>>>>>> Keira
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2020 7:46:13 PM(UTC)
or maybe its something that needs to enabled in settings
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2020 9:38:42 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NightDriver7800 Go to Quoted Post
This game is light, so I'm sure they could've enabled the feature without sacrificing locked 60 fps.

I think a problem with consoles is they have to assume they're connected to a screen that doesn't have variable refresh rate, which means they have to take an extreme position on how rarely they make it drop below 60fps, as it just looks so horrible if it ever does. So you might have settings on a PC that look like it's always at or above 60fps, but if it ever drops to 59fps in some rare circumstances, you just won't see any difference with variable refresh rate. But with a fixed refresh rate, that single dropped frame drops it briefly to 30fps and it looks absolutely horrible, so they have to go to extreme lengths to avoid it.

Perhaps the solution is to open up the settings for console users, and just have recommended settings for their platform. If someone wants the "just make it work for me" approach, they can still have that by just going with the recommended settings, but if they want to spend hours tinkering with settings, they could do. For example, I personally value anti-aliasing above all else, and much prefer to drop the quality to High, but increase the MSAA (High with 8x MSAA gives a higher frame rate than Ultra and looks better to me). And I absolutely hate motion blur - for me, the ability to turn that off is reason enough to play on PC rather than console.
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2020 11:39:56 PM(UTC)
Does the One X 60fps mode still have motion blur enabled then? Ugh if so. The smearing from using it at 60fps would be like simulating a monitor with a bad response time.
 2 users liked this post.
#9 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2020 2:32:44 AM(UTC)
You would expect the game to be upgraded for XBox series X not downgraded.
#10 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2020 2:44:41 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FullNietzsche Go to Quoted Post
Does the One X 60fps mode still have motion blur enabled then? Ugh if so. The smearing from using it at 60fps would be like simulating a monitor with a bad response time.

It does, but the amount of motion blur is proportional to the duration of a frame. I think they've applied the standard 180° shutter rule (the shutter being open for half the duration of a frame) in simulating the motion blur. It's quite subtle.

The same is probably the case on the Series X.
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 3:21:57 PM(UTC)
During free roam it's there but one road race was without it. So images are probably right for now.
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 3:32:48 PM(UTC)
And still no mirror for bumper/hood cams. Great, it's very easy be clean without seeing behind :D
 1 user liked this post.
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:50:30 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Zacabeb Go to Quoted Post

It does, but the amount of motion blur is proportional to the duration of a frame. I think they've applied the standard 180° shutter rule (the shutter being open for half the duration of a frame) in simulating the motion blur. It's quite subtle.

Half the frame duration is far from subtle, IMO. At 60fps, the frame time is 16ms, so that's a blur of 8ms. That's like the g2g transition time of a mediocre monitor, intentionally being added. People pay a lot of money to have a 4ms transition time rather than 8ms (I'm talking actual transition times rather than marketing claims where every monitor is claimed to be "1ms"), why would anyone want 8ms worth of blurring added before it even reaches the monitor? My monitor is a reasonable one with a 6ms transition time, but even with motion blur disabled I can see the blurring from the 6ms transition time, I'd still rather have it less blurred than that, I'd like everything to be crystal clear like it is in real life.
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 1:54:23 AM(UTC)
To make everything crystal clear and rely only on our eyesight's persistence of vision would take a very high frame rate in order to avoid telltale overlapping of frames when moving fast. Motion blur is a workaround.

It is however something I wish they'd allow players to enable or disable at their own direction on any platform.
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 2:15:35 AM(UTC)
Can't say I've noticed 'telltale overlapping of frames' when playing at 60fps.

Motion blur is a gimmick to disguise how bad 30fps looks and ought to be redundant on 60fps+ framerates. Certainly there is no excuse not to have this as a toggleable (is that a word?) option on games afflicted with said gimmick.
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 2:44:46 AM(UTC)
I noticed this right away. Really liked the atmosphere they added to night races. Wasn't expecting any downgrades from the One X version even at 60fps.
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 5:05:20 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: jameshyatt Go to Quoted Post
I noticed this right away. Really liked the atmosphere they added to night races. Wasn't expecting any downgrades from the One X version even at 60fps.

But it's not there :D
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 6:57:03 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: turtleCZ Go to Quoted Post

Things can be noticeable by their absence as well as their presence.

According to someone on another forum, the SX does have it. Is it possible you are mistaken, or maybe there is an update you haven't yet downloaded?

Edited by user Wednesday, November 11, 2020 6:58:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 7:49:27 AM(UTC)
I tried it 16 hours ago so it's was patched I guess. And it looked like the first images. But we know their patches... it could be better soon.
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2020 1:18:56 PM(UTC)
It's missing from races but available when just driving around the map. As of an hour ago it definitely does not appear during a race.
 2 users liked this post.
#21 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 10:59:46 AM(UTC)
Worth Saying: They outsourced a patch and they just released new hardware...the fact that the games boot at all this week is testament to someone doing at least SOME kind of QA testing, so kudos for all the stuff that just works like its supposed to.

This is the kind of subtle thing that can occasionally get missed, I suspect many games will get patches...and then updated patches....as the weeks go on.

Deep Breaths everyone........
 1 user liked this post.
#22 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 12:23:34 PM(UTC)
If Playground, no, if Microsoft wants me to buy a new console, they need to look into this, because when I buy a Series X I expect the optimized version to be better than the One X version in every way.
May the forced induction be with you.

Alice >>>>>>>>>> Keira
 2 users liked this post.
#23 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 12:44:56 PM(UTC)
Digital Foundry just came out with their detailed breakdown of the FH4 X/S update. Basically they found that the update runs at a pretty solid 60fps as expected however they were surprised because it only incorporates about half the "quality" setting options from the 4k/30 Xbox One X version but leaves half the lower quality "performance" setting options from the 4k/60 Xbox One X version. There no longer is a choice between the two so ultimately while the X/S version runs a steady 60fps there are certain specific elements that look WORSE than the "quality" option of the 4k/30 Xbox One X version and there is no way of fixing it if you prefer the better graphics.

Here is the excellent video breakdown of all of this:

https://youtu.be/2BdVMl3Tuxo

Edited by user Thursday, November 12, 2020 12:46:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#24 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 1:13:14 PM(UTC)
Disappointing to see dynamic shadow casting missing. I thought it looked great on the One X.

What's even more bizarre is the cars with missing modeling of the tail pipes still are missing on Series X. Not sure if that's the case on PC. Jeep Trackhawk is a good example, take it out, then look at the tailpipes from left or right angles, you can see it disappears and instead you can see the road. Many reported this months ago.
#25 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 1:19:56 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: turtleCZ Go to Quoted Post

Things can be noticeable by their absence as well as their presence.

According to someone on another forum, the SX does have it. Is it possible you are mistaken, or maybe there is an update you haven't yet downloaded?

It's missing from RACES but is present if you are just driving around the world. there a whole host of "quality" graphics settings from the One X version that have been turned off in the S/X version... its not just dynamic headlights.

3 Pages123Next

Notification

Icon
Error