21 Pages<<678910>>PrevNext
#176 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2020 4:48:17 PM(UTC)
Two.

Measly.

Hundredths.

Current best (and almost certainly final): 0:55.023

Got a few laps in after work today, got into a pretty good groove, and started really focusing on hitting braking and turn-in points. Was consistently hitting 55.1s and 55.2s, and managed to get a good run on my ghost; was ahead by a length and a half coming down the back straight, then missed turn-in on the double left right before the hairpin and lost most of it. Still came out ahead, but not enough to break 0:55. Got another few laps in before I started to get too tired to focus, so I called it a night. Unless work loses power or the building is attacked by Godzilla I won't get home in time to try again, so that's probably all she wrote.

Had a lot of fun with this one, even though Long Beach isn't exactly the most interesting track in the game.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 13, 2020 5:44:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#177 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 4:10:35 AM(UTC)
Had a quick try with the P3, as game pass means that I have FM7 again. I’m not really on pace presently as the change from FH4 is reasonably tricky and the very tight track limits keep catching me out! Best was a 54.6. I also did a clean 54.2 but I think I must have dirtied the end of the previous lap as it was marked dirty.

On an unrelated note, the car pass appears to be on offer. Worth getting I presume?

Edited by user Wednesday, October 14, 2020 4:48:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#178 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 6:17:59 AM(UTC)
Squeezed in one more run and got down to a 54.0 (just behind Moss). The fact I can’t use Manual Clutch as I can’t map my usual settings is costing me a couple of tenths and I left TCS on for consistency.

And CF for viewpoint.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 14, 2020 6:43:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#179 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 9:40:45 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
Squeezed in one more run and got down to a 54.0 (just behind Moss). The fact I can’t use Manual Clutch as I can’t map my usual settings is costing me a couple of tenths and I left TCS on for consistency.

And CF for viewpoint.

Welcome back Jezza! Awesome time for your return HLC. Got you down!

PRKid

DJ Saoco
#180 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 11:32:14 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
Had a quick try with the P3, as game pass means that I have FM7 again. I’m not really on pace presently as the change from FH4 is reasonably tricky and the very tight track limits keep catching me out! Best was a 54.6. I also did a clean 54.2 but I think I must have dirtied the end of the previous lap as it was marked dirty.

On an unrelated note, the car pass appears to be on offer. Worth getting I presume?

I'm not disappointed with the car pass, and I bought it full price Jezza :)
#181 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 11:45:38 AM(UTC)
Thanks both - my first non Horizon HLC 👍. I’ll get the car pass then Moss!
 1 user liked this post.
#182 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 11:59:12 AM(UTC)
Welcome aboard Jezza, the more the merrier. Although looks like you might be another aspirational driver for me - you're already a fair bit quicker than me and I've lost track of how many laps I've put in this week trying to improve.

My best time was in the P3 but I enjoyed driving the 250 Maserati much more, not as quick but a lot easier to control. To be fair I've been just 2 tenths off the time I've set in the P3 so should be able to catch it given a half decent lap but circumstances and a lack of skill have worked against me this week!

Interested to find out where we're off to this week, not long to wait now. . . .

5 users liked this post.
#183 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 12:04:46 PM(UTC)
Unexpected good performance this week by the veteran GP cars. xAlea showed the way with an excellent lap in the Alfa Romeo P3.

The final leaderboard:

Congratulations to our podium placers!
1st place: xAlea Jacta Est
2nd place: minsons
3rd place: HLR PRKid

For week 6 we are off to Virginia to run the cars that hansonalanrob suggested, Major Micros. The cars will be good, but the track will be tough!

Week 6
VIR Patriot Alternate, D400, Cars restricted to the Major Micros Division
Event will close on Wednesday, 21st October at 9pm UK time.

We will track your times here - HLC Leaderboard .

The Major Micros

1970 Citroen 2CV
1968 Abarth 595 esseesse
1968 SUBARU 360
1965 MINI Cooper S
1965 MINI Cooper S FE
1963 Volkswagen Beetle
1957 BMW Isetta 300 Export

1 user liked this post.
#184 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 12:11:24 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: HLR Moss Go to Quoted Post

Week 6
VIR Patriot Alternate, D400, Cars restricted to the Major Micros Division

The Major Micros

1970 Citroen 2CV
1968 Abarth 595 esseesse
1968 SUBARU 360
1965 MINI Cooper S
1965 MINI Cooper S FE
1963 Volkswagen Beetle
1957 BMW Isetta 300 Export

Will have to dust off my Isetta, MINI, and Beetle. It's been a long time since I've used any of the cars in this Division. In the past, I have only used the Isetta and MINI.

Should be a good week, yet, frustrating limits at this track!

PRKid

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#185 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 12:57:13 PM(UTC)
I have never driven this ribbon EVER so bring it on! Super FUN cars too..... LET’S GO!!!!!!!!!! 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
 1 user liked this post.
#186 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 1:14:09 PM(UTC)
Burnin,

You're not alone lol, I'm sure I must have driven it at some time but - when I started lapping there was nobody on my friends list with a time in D class on this track. Took about 4 laps before Moss showed up as my next rival, just beat his time and lo and behold Moss is my next rival again.

Kick a man when he's down why don't you lol.

Initial time 1:19.194 in the '65 mini - admittedly just stuck a load of parts on the car in my garage, didn't look at the tune but it handles o.k. - knowing the track better will help as the week goes on. I already know a couple of corners are costing me time. The evil one just before the last split being one of them!

Will try messing with the tune/ build in the coming days - already a much more wheel friendly experience although quite a lot of action to be fair but at least that doesn't immediately end up with you in a wall or field most of the time!
 1 user liked this post.
#187 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 3:02:40 PM(UTC)
Luigi follows only the Ferraris. *drives off*
 2 users liked this post.
#188 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 4:19:03 PM(UTC)
That turn need the end is extremely evil! Just did a stint and must have dirtied 90% of laps on one or other of those two tough left handers. Testing course. Will try other cars in the next couple of days.
#189 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 4:23:02 PM(UTC)
So it going to be between 2 motors for Burnin..... the Subaru and the Mini. Unless I hear thru the grapevine that the Isetta has a decent shot at glory; then I can dust off the ‘Turtle ‘.

Currently 1:27:something..... 😗
#190 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2020 5:32:28 PM(UTC)
Hooboy...

The Fiat's a handful at D400. Can't put much in the way of tires on it or it "catches an edge" (snowboarding term, but it seems appropriate) and tips up onto the outside tires, but don't give it enough tire and the back end is all over the place. Still trying to suss out a good balance between the two. Rest of the build is in flux until I get that sorted out, but will likely be around 110-120 horses and 1200 lbs. Will try to get it solidified tomorrow morning.

Current least-worst: 1:21.x

==

Edit to add: Got a bit of testing done this morning, and think I have a workable balance between tire grip, ride height, spring rate, and suspension travel. Took a lot of build iterations to find it, though.

Edited by user Thursday, October 15, 2020 3:53:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#191 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 4:29:03 AM(UTC)
Subie it is...... 1:25:148...... 😎
 2 users liked this post.
#192 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 11:44:49 AM(UTC)
Welcome back! I’m a bit late to the party but good to see these getting going again, hopefully I can join in a bit more this season.

Fun combination for sure - started with the Subaru and one of Moss’s old builds and managed 1:17.636... looking forward to chasing plenty more ghosts through the week 😀
15/15 = 93%
#193 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 12:46:14 PM(UTC)
Would somebody like to explain to me WHY there is a lovely solid green pad just off the rumble strip on the final turn and the game counts every stinking touch as if it is dirty? Seems counterintuitive if you ask me. Makes the final turn just evil and soulless and wrong! 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
#194 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 1:07:52 PM(UTC)
First couple of laps got nowhere fast except making very tight donuts in the Fiat, swapped to the Subaru and after 20 laps (went quite quickly - not sure we're they went) down to 1:20.516

Having so much fun trying to get around the nasty left handed in the middle of the lap, think I dirtier most laps there.

Burnin, that last corner is just Turn10 playing with your head, just like turn 1 at Hockenheim where everyone runs outside the tumble strip
#195 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:05:08 PM(UTC)
I fiddled with the tune on my mini, same build as I started with and managed to get down to a 1:18.176 - might just be able to scrape in to the 1:!7's but 16's are doubtful.

I'm a country mile off the leaders but still pretty happy with that for now. Will see if I can improve over the weekend.

#196 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:20:26 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: hansonalanrob Go to Quoted Post
First couple of laps got nowhere fast except making very tight donuts in the Fiat...

It's not an easy car to set up, that's for sure. Seems like everything you do to fix one issue makes two others ten times worse than when you started. Not as bad as the 356 or the Stratos in that regard, but still a pain.
 3 users liked this post.
#197 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2020 5:16:03 PM(UTC)
Figured out how to get clutch where I want it, so have been able to switch to MC. Tried the 360 tonight (using Moss’ old tune) and got down to a 17.0. Doubt I could take too much more off that.
 2 users liked this post.
#198 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 3:33:53 AM(UTC)
For anyone interested in trying to make the Fiat behave, here's what I found:

• Street tires at 155 width are what I'd consider ideal. Move up to 185s or up to Sport compound and it starts catching the edge. You might be able to get away with grippier tires with aero, but watch that inside for any sign of lifting.
  • Ride height has a huge effect on the edge-catching, so slam it to the ground. Crank up the springs and roll bars to keep it off the bump stops.
  • Chassis reinforcement alters the tone/feel of the edge-catching, but doesn't really stop it from happening.
  • How you get the PI up to D400 once you get the handling sorted doesn't seem to matter much.

If anyone wants to use my build as a base to build a more competitive version, here are the important bits:

• Supercharger conversion
  • Any power adders are OK. I tried to avoid bits that added weight to the rear of the car (I'm looking at you, intercooler).
  • Race brakes, suspension, ARBs. Race weight reduction (primarily for the weight distribution). Sport stiffness, but only because I don't like to muss up the interior with a full cage.
  • Street tires @ 155 front and rear

My build ended up at 1068 lbs @ 45% front and 118 horsepower. Springs are really stiff (301F/411R), but ARBs seem to work well at my starting point (25F/10R). Dampers are more aggressive than I usually start at (9R/5B, front and rear), but it was necessary given the springs. Brake bias is at 45%.

I'm not sure whether it can be made competitive or not, but it can certainly be made driveable.
 3 users liked this post.
#199 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 8:12:35 AM(UTC)
For Moss/Kid.... I’d like to make a suggestion if I may..... can we mash together 2 classes (same PI limit) to see which one is dominant on a given track? My suggestion for Halloween week..... Early Prototypes vs Forza P1 (P class) on Watkins Glen Short Alternate. It seems very few in the community have run this course......

Just wanted to put this out there.... 😀
#200 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2020 9:14:02 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BurninAsphalt Go to Quoted Post
For Moss/Kid.... I’d like to make a suggestion if I may..... can we mash together 2 classes (same PI limit) to see which one is dominant on a given track? My suggestion for Halloween week..... Early Prototypes vs Forza P1 (P class) on Watkins Glen Short Alternate. It seems very few in the community have run this course......

Just wanted to put this out there.... 😀

Thanks Burnin! Interesting concept. We'll check it out and see if we can manage such!

PRKid

DJ Saoco
21 Pages<<678910>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error