3 Pages123Prev
#51 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 4:19:04 PM(UTC)
Don’t laugh but any of the Silvia’s or even the 240 SX..... hmmmmmmm 🧐
#52 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 5:08:39 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DamMe2006 Go to Quoted Post
If anyone has any tips for tuning that out - particularly when using a wheel, would appreciate it. I can just nurse the go pedal a bit more but it goes against all my instincts lol.

Watched your replay and I have the following thoughts:

First (and most importantly), it seems like your oversteer is starting when you let off the brakes. If so, you may want to try moving them a click or two rearward and see if that helps. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but if you're overloading the fronts during braking, as soon as you let off to get back on the gas the front tires suddenly regain traction and whip the front end of the car out from under you. You end up with "doesn'twannaturn-doesn'twannaturn-doesn'twannaturn-SIDEWAYS!", and it looks like that's what you're getting.

Second, it looks like you're slightly overstressing the fronts and way underutilizing the rears. Grip balance on that first big sweeper (the only flattish, non-bumpy, non-curby turn on the whole track) was something like 110% front, 45% rear. Not sure what's causing it (staggered tires, front-biased springs, or front-biased sways, in order of "if I had to guess"), but you end up with a "false understeer" kind of effect mid-corner with an abrupt change in behavior when the fronts regain traction. That might also be contributing.

The rest of the setup looked pretty good. Camber seemed dialed in, springs were doing their job, and the car didn't seem to be losing its lunch over curbs or the back straight. Didn't look at exit traction (forgot; sorry), but I didn't notice a ton of wheelspin.
#53 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2020 10:24:09 PM(UTC)
Thanks for that Mr P, I was using a tune by Venom - so probably from a previous HLC as he used to run these pretty regularly in the early days. I might have a go at setting up my own tune tonight after work and will definitely bear in mind your advice if I'm experiencing the same issues.

I do sometimes wonder if it's just that I've never driven a rear wheel drive car in my life lol - I've been driving for 20 odd years but FWD is more prevalent in your average daily driver (certainly in the uk). In a fwd drive, I can be hard on the gas on the exit of a turn to pull the car around the corner but in rwd - all I end up with is facing the wall on the inside of the turn! So I might just need a little adjustment in my driving style as well as any tweaks I apply to the tune.

Luckily it's a nice short track, so can rewind and go again without having to sit through another minute or more of lap knowing it's not going to count.
#54 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 3:32:43 AM(UTC)
Not that my times are terribly competitive, I am back with internet and will be looking forward to putting some more time in on these. I'm still finding myself actually, and surprisingly, really enjoying just cruising around in online freeroam in FH4 but some motorsport always does a body good, lol.

Glad to be back and even more glad these HLCs are back!
Maxwell's Speed Shop
xDeaDxZeppLiNx
mechanic, paint
#55 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 4:15:22 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: xDeaDxZeppLiNx Go to Quoted Post
Not that my times are terribly competitive, I am back with internet and will be looking forward to putting some more time in on these. I'm still finding myself actually, and surprisingly, really enjoying just cruising around in online freeroam in FH4 but some motorsport always does a body good, lol.

Glad to be back and even more glad these HLCs are back!

Good to see you back Zepp, your times are irrelevant if you are having fun, and Rio makes a pleasant change from the UK for an hour or two LOL.
 1 user liked this post.
#56 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 4:51:51 AM(UTC)
A couple of pictures at Rio Coast. I must have lost my rear wing at Turn 1 on an earlier lap LOL.

#57 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 12:10:34 PM(UTC)
It won't last but just ran a new PB in a Silvia '00 54:271 lol.

I've just looked at the tune and pretty sure it's stock tuned just built, still it's edged out the time I set in the Mx5 initially - so might be worth spending more time on it. Although the top time looks to be in the 51's so still some major work to do.

#58 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 12:53:58 PM(UTC)
Currently working on a homologation-spec build for the '85 RX-7. Needs some more go-fast bits to get the PI up (it's at something like C435) and a thorough going-over once the build is settled, but it's pretty quick for as underbuilt as it is and shows a lot of promise. I'll look at finalizing the build tonight and maybe giving the springs and gearbox a good shakedown.

== Edit to add

Got the build sorted out. Expected the 235s to be a bit too much tire, but after adding a bit of power they seem to work pretty well. Took a bit of tweaking to get the springs set. Getting them stiff enough to handle the 'Ring but soft enough to deal with the curbs and coffeespillers on Rio wasn't easy. Ended up dialing the ARBs way back to try to get a little more roll softness without compromising the springs. Seemed to work OK. It's a bit more rear-biased than I'd like, but it's necessary to keep the rear from bottoming out. Might be able to dial it back a bit with some careful ARB tuning, but that'll likely have to wait until after the competition's over. Also not crazy about the inch of rake (again; necessary), but that mostly only affects the aesthetics.

Current best: 54:05x

Should be able to see mid-53s with it. Probably not much better. That'd put me at about 4% off worldwide #1, so pretty solid for one of my homologated builds.

Edited by user Thursday, September 17, 2020 6:20:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#59 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 11:05:46 AM(UTC)
Tried something different again Acura RSX - running sport tyres, full race weight reduction - handles great but a little underpowered 53:959 for a new PB.

Managed to leapfrog Tomcat & Mr Pinstripes however momentarily.
 1 user liked this post.
#60 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2020 6:11:38 PM(UTC)
Just a suggestion for Kid and Moss.... the coming week marks the beginning of fall so with that being said I think for the next event we should visit the prettiest track in the game.

My suggestion.....

Maple Valley Short in D class.....
#61 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2020 12:00:07 AM(UTC)
Have found the trouble with having a week off work. There is always something to be done. Finally found a spare hour to have a go.
53.905 Mazda MX-5 '90

Enjoying this week again. Nice choices so far. Plenty of time to find, if i can find time ;)
#62 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2020 2:46:05 AM(UTC)
Just set a time with the wheel, first time in ages I had that thing connected, hit the 55's with the Silvia FE.

Edited by user Saturday, September 19, 2020 2:59:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#63 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2020 4:47:28 AM(UTC)
Made some adjustments to bring the handling more in line with what I'd prefer. Fronts are a bit oversprung from a strict suspension travel standpoint, but the handling's a lot more balanced. Also took some of the rake out, so the car looks a little better now. Setup is uploaded as HLC S4.02 Rio v2.

Current best: 53.99x

Also decided (after a bit of side-by-side comparison and some visual un-loudening) that I liked the looks of the Kaminari aero bits (sans spoiler), so that'll be on the next iteration.

== Edit to add:

v3 is up with the Kaminari bodykit. No other changes to the setup.

New current best: 53.8xx

Also:

== End edit

Originally Posted by: R5R Indy Go to Quoted Post
Have found the trouble with having a week off work. There is always something to be done. Finally found a spare hour to have a go.

Heh. I feel you. Everyone always asks me what my plans are for the weekend or vacations and I start rattling off items from my to-do list. Change the oil in the car. Fix the stove. Clean the garage. Work, work, work.

Edited by user Saturday, September 19, 2020 2:51:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#64 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2020 1:06:35 PM(UTC)
I noticed Soarer had also used the Acura RSX but a lot quicker than my time, so rather than mess about trying to tune the car myself (I'm not known for my tunes) downloaded the tune he's using by RP TickTock76 - new PB 53:452.

Might still have to explore some other cars before this is over - including the leading Mazda's. Hobo's literally 2 seconds quicker than me, which is both good and bad lol. At one point, I struggled to get within 5 seconds of my own controller times on the wheel, so to be within 2 seconds of Hobo now is pretty decent lol.
 2 users liked this post.
#65 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2020 11:11:09 AM(UTC)
Hey all!

Gave a first run in an existing build. Ran a 52.888 in the 90 miata.

Also, view is chase far.

Edit. 52.617

Edited by user Monday, September 21, 2020 12:20:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#66 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2020 12:15:16 AM(UTC)
Woo Hoo. Found some time for a few laps this morning. Managed to take half a second off.
53.395 still using the Mazda MX-5 '90.
Another fun car to sling around 😃
3 Pages123Prev

Notification

Icon
Error