45 Pages<<3738394041>>PrevNext
 2 users liked this post.
#951 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 3:57:22 AM(UTC)
Just shows that there are lots of ways to set up a car to run decent laps. Provided you don’t make a pig’s ear of the settings, the build is still the most important factor, after the driver of course 🤣
#952 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 4:43:27 AM(UTC)
I think I'm done for the week. Got a few laps in this morning and just didn't have the gumption to put up with any more Maple Valley.

I've uploaded a homologated version of the setup if anyone's interested. It's a bit heavier, but handles pretty much the same. Seems to do pretty well performance-wise (I'm at around 45/780 on Bathurst after a couple of laps dodging AI bozos), as well. Setup is ESL v1.0.

Originally Posted by: crash220 Go to Quoted Post
*stuff*

Originally Posted by: HLR Moss Go to Quoted Post
*stuff*

Originally Posted by: Fifty Inch Go to Quoted Post
*stuff*

Thanks for the input, guys.

My start point settings are B: 3.0 F/R and R: 7.5 F/R, then I go by goodfeels (seems I've coined a term) from there. Generally speaking I use Bump to adjust how the suspension handles the track surface (and, for the most part, softer does seem better for anything that isn't baby-butt smooth) and Rebound to adjust how quickly/harshly weight transfers off the front or rear during acceleration or braking, respectively. Can't remember where I read about that concept, but it seems to work well enough.

I've been trying to find a more telemetry-based approach to damper tuning, but so far haven't had much luck. There's too much noise on the suspension loading page to be of much use, and none of the other pages are more than tangentially related. Most of the time I just set the replay camera to one of the chase cams, swing it off to the side, and watch how the wheel moves as the car travels over curbs or bumps. If "the wheel looks bouncy" I'll raise the Bump a bit. If it "looks like the wheel is moving the car", I'll lower it. Hardly scientific, or even quantifiable.

Originally Posted by: crash220 Go to Quoted Post
For overall roll stiffness I typically go to Bathurst and if I hit the inside wall it is too stiff and if I hit the outside wall it is too soft.

Got a good chuckle out of that. If I'm going an honest-to-God serious setup (which pretty much never happens anymore) I typically check roll stiffness on Maple Valley Short Reverse. Basically run a few laps 'till the tires get good 'n' warm, then run it hard until I get a good run on that last megasweeper. Note the lap number, exit the race, and watch the replay. In particular I pay attention to the grip circles and the suspension loading pages. If the car looks like it's transferring too much weight to the outside (disproportionately higher available grip and/or peak grip percentage on the outside tire), I'll dial up the ARBs and maybe the springs (depending on whether it's bottoming out elsewhere or not). I'm pretty comfortable with just eyeballing how much of an adjustment is needed based on the relative grip circle size/percentage used, so I haven't developed any sort of formula for it yet.

Lately I just watch my current best replay for whatever track we're running this week and work with whatever passes for a steady-state corner there. It's not great, but it's good enough.
#953 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 5:02:09 AM(UTC)
Done a load more laps, had some dirty times in the 1:40.7ish range - whenever I'm on a good lap I keep messing up one of the two last corners, usually the last one.

Managed to improve slightly to 1:41.331 for now. Not given up for this week yet, might just need to give my hands a rest before I run again.
 2 users liked this post.
#954 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 8:24:22 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: HLR Moss Go to Quoted Post
Just shows that there are lots of ways to set up a car to run decent laps. Provided you don’t make a pig’s ear of the settings, the build is still the most important factor, after the driver of course 🤣

Well spoken Moss!

The Forza formula has always been:
Driver > Build > Tune.
#955 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 8:58:09 AM(UTC)
Lol old bloke chipping in here

I absolutely love how you are all talking about damper settings. It used to be my differentiator when I was tuning back in FM3 and FM4 days (yes the good old days when I could play for 12 hours straight without consequences).
Think I won a number of tuning comps just on how I made a car feel because of dampers.

Moss is right, it always used to be his unique ISP (maybe still is), the soft bump set up to eat up the kerbs and giving you a lot of confidence to attack.

Keep it up all, it’s why I keep combing back, even if I can’t get one the xbox due to those pesky kids! Wish I could still put in the hard yards to tweak all night.
#956 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 9:01:23 AM(UTC)
@Fiifty
Was comparing my tune against the quicktune. What it is the reasoning for such low camber on a sweeper track like Maple? I’d have always gone for high camber.
Is it based on tyre width with a heavy-ish car? I tuned both BMW 8xx and Porsche 928 with wide tyres and the tune kicked out -0.2 or -0.1 camber on the rears.

Edited by user Sunday, June 7, 2020 9:06:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#957 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 9:53:29 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: sk15kev Go to Quoted Post
@Fiifty
Was comparing my tune against the quicktune. What it is the reasoning for such low camber on a sweeper track like Maple? I’d have always gone for high camber.
Is it based on tyre width with a heavy-ish car? I tuned both BMW 8xx and Porsche 928 with wide tyres and the tune kicked out -0.2 or -0.1 camber on the rears.

Camber depends on body type and tire width. Early modern cars have a lower base camber than modern cars to begin with. In combination with wide tires this can lead to some very low camber

Sweeper tracks like Maple Valley or Suzuka slightly impact camber because they require a oversteer setup which will use a slightly increased camber (-0.1).

At least that’s the QuickTune logic. In the end it only counts how the cars feels on track. But I haven’t found any example yet that contradicts this logic.

As Moss said there are thankfully many ways to make decent setups in Forza so your mileage may vary.

Edited by user Sunday, June 7, 2020 10:11:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#958 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 1:47:01 PM(UTC)
Switched to rollcage build for the G35 which seems to be the faster option than street chassis despite lower stats.

Brought me down to 1.39.4, still some tenths left.

Tune is shared if anyone wants to try.

Edited by user Sunday, June 7, 2020 2:35:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#959 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2020 4:29:48 PM(UTC)
I tried the other tune Fifty - did 18 laps and couldn't match what I'd been doing on the original - so swapped back to that for a last run of the night.

New PB 1:41.267 still not caught Foot but he's only 4 spots ahead of me on the LB now, so he's definitely in reach if I can put the lap together.

Just won't be tonight as need to get some sleep - need to get up for work in 5 or so hours lol. Have fun all.

D
 1 user liked this post.
#960 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2020 10:53:33 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: DamMe2006 Go to Quoted Post
I tried the other tune Fifty - did 18 laps and couldn't match what I'd been doing on the original - so swapped back to that for a last run of the night.

Yeah I’m not even sure v2 is faster. Set a new PB with v1, so now leaning again towards the lighter street chassis build.

But they are performing VERY close. A very fast driver might be faster with the rollcage build due to little more power on the straights.

Edited by user Monday, June 8, 2020 10:55:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#961 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2020 7:37:48 PM(UTC)
New PB for me in HLR Bassman's BMW 850CI of 1:39.180

Can probably get it into the 1:39.0XX but that is close to my limit.

Next will try HLR Bassman's 1995 BMW M5 tune and chase my ghost to see if I can get it quicker than my PB

Great work on the build and tune Bassman on both cars. Much appreciated.

I will finish off by hotlapping everyone's Infiniti G35 builds and tunes from HLR Bassman, fifty inch & crash220.
#962 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2020 9:10:30 AM(UTC)
Finished testing a few more cars. Here are the times below. New PB in Crash220's tune.

1.38.734 - Infiniti G35 (Crash220 tuned [Version 2]
1:38.830 - 95 BMW M5 (HLR Bassman tuned)
1:39.087 - BMW 850CI FE (HLR Bassman tuned)

Still have a few more Infiniti's to test below:

Crash 220 (Version 3)
fifty inch (Version 1)
fifty inch (Version 2)
HLR Bassman
 1 user liked this post.
#963 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2020 11:58:15 AM(UTC)
Nice times there Soarer - you're in the 1:39 dead/ high 1:38 region and I've just done another 23 laps and finally got a clean lap in the 1:40's in (a high 1:40 at that 1:40.934).

I'm losing a lot of time through the last part of the lap, from the top of the hill right hander, through the slalom and back down the hill + that last corner is just nasty.

Still pretty happy with tonight's work, not too shabby for a rusty painter lol.
#964 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2020 4:21:43 PM(UTC)
New v5 tune for the G35 shared. Easily 3-5 tenth faster than v1.

Got me a new PB of 1.39.2.
#965 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 6:33:50 AM(UTC)
I’m done too.... today is my daughters 17th and already she wants me to spend time with her and “not your racing game.” So on to wrapping her present and moving on.....

Just an observation here... I think HLR should officially petition T10 to rename turn 2 at Maple Valley as “Oh S***” Corner..... 😙. But I enjoyed it the track...... 😊

Official time.... Maple Valley..... Team SithSpeed Infiniti G35..... HLR BURNINASPHALT..... 1:43:593....... 😎
#966 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 11:49:02 AM(UTC)
Final time from me 1:40.798 - tried out Fifty's V5 tune and between it and a bit of luck scraped a smidge more time off.

I can't see me improving much from there - I've had quicker dirty laps on the original tune but dirty don't count lol - so it is what it is and it's been fun trying.

What's next?
 2 users liked this post.
#967 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 12:06:38 PM(UTC)
Maple Valley isn't everyone's favourite track, which may account for our slight reduction to only 25 drivers this week. The early sport luxury cars were fun to drive, despite their weight stopping them running truly competitive times. Soarer ran most , if not all the available shared setups, and proved that the '95 BMW M5, and the BMW 850CSi coud run the Infiniti G35 close. Good work Soarer!

Soarer took his first win with a very impressive run in Fifty's Infiniti of 1:38.226. PRKid took second place, with xAlea running third. Coopracing placed first in Tier 2, and DamMe2006 managed to get past gtFOOTw to take the win in Tier 3. Not too shabby for someone that spends more time in the paint booth than on the track.

Congratulations to all our winners.

Here is a snapshot of the final standings:

Our winners:

Tier 1: Soarer2JZTT wins a paint for his 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Tier 2: Coopracing wins a paint for his 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Tier 3: DamMe2006 wins a paint for his 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Tuners Prize: Fifty Inch wins a paint for his 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

To claim your paints, message HLR Moss to arrange it's sharing whilst you are waiting in the car to download. We don't want anyone else to grab them. They are each personalised for the winner and hopefully will provide you with a memory of the event.

For our next challenge we are off to Le Mans to drive some sport touring icons. Good luck!

FM7, Series 3, Event 34
A Class (A700 Max)
Le Mans La Sarthe Day
Restricted to any car in the Sport Touring Icons Division
Event will close at 9:00pm (UK time) on Wednesday, 17th June.

Prize Liveries for Tier winners and for the Tuner whose shared setup is placed highest when driven by another driver.

Everyone welcome.
Simply post your times in this thread. But please:
* Set your times in Rivals mode,
* Let us know which driving view you used,
* Let us know if you play with a wheel,
* Let us know if you drive Hardcore.

The Leaderboard can be found here: HLC Leaderboard

The Sport Touring Icons Cars

2009 Holden HSV W427
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
2008 BMW M3
2007 Ford Shelby GT500
2006 Audi RS 4
2005 BMW M3
2004 Audi S4
2004 Mercedes-Benz C 32 AMG
2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air
2002 Chevrolet Camaro 35th Anniversary Super Sport
2001 Audi RS 4 Avant
2000 Ford SVT Cobra R

How much power can you add, but still retain control?
 1 user liked this post.
#968 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 12:07:08 PM(UTC)
Here are the Tiers for Event 34. Best of Luck!

PRKid

Edited by user Wednesday, June 10, 2020 12:14:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DJ Saoco
 2 users liked this post.
#969 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 12:46:03 PM(UTC)
That's a nice coincidence. I did the TORA 24hr of Le Mans last weekend. At least I've had practice of the track!
 1 user liked this post.
#970 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 4:34:11 PM(UTC)
I might be out for good. Got a M5 test mule built up and took it for a quick spin. Whenever I clicked the paddle to downshift the wheel would occasionally downshift multiple gears (went from 5th to 1st once; instant Armco sandwich) or not respond at all. Makes every braking zone an automotive game of Russian Roulette. Will see if I can find time this weekend to disassemble the wheel and clean the innards. Hopefully that'll fix it. If not, I'll have to decide between giving Fanatec more money (which I'm loathe to do; I'm not impressed with either the wheel or their customer service) or just throwing in the racing game towel. Can't afford a whole 'nother rig.

Regardless...

Current best: 4:35
#971 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:36:20 AM(UTC)
I ran the Fifty v5 tune in the end and it was a thing of beauty.
There was no way that was a quick tune, time and effort had been spent perfecting that.
 1 user liked this post.
#972 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:43:32 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: sk15kev Go to Quoted Post
I ran the Fifty v5 tune in the end and it was a thing of beauty.
There was no way that was a quick tune, time and effort had been spent perfecting that.

Thanks ske15v butI have to disappoint you (or maybe not) - tune was straight out of QuickTune 😎

Not only tuning is important for the handling but also the build. In this case changing to heavier rims was key (plus added power of course).

Edited by user Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:47:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#973 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 9:26:14 AM(UTC)
The Shelby pushing north of 600 hp seems to do reasonably well for me here.... I have almost gotten into 39s with it but unfortunately nothing clean yet....

Racer’s excuse...... track is so long and mesmerizing here you get caught with your pants down from time to time. 😉
 4 users liked this post.
#974 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 10:51:44 AM(UTC)
Quick builds with many cars today:

2009 Holden HSV W427 around 4.04
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP -
2008 BMW M3 around 4.05
2007 Ford Shelby GT500 around 4.04~4.05
2006 Audi RS 4 -
2005 BMW M3 around 4.06.5
2004 Audi S4 -
2004 Mercedes-Benz C 32 AMG around 4.03.5~4.04
2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Ram Air -
2002 Chevrolet Camaro 35th Anniversary SS -
2001 Audi RS 4 Avant around 4.09.5
2000 Ford SVT Cobra R around 4.06

Edited by user Thursday, June 11, 2020 10:55:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#975 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2020 11:42:49 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BurninAsphalt Go to Quoted Post
Racer’s excuse...... track is so long and mesmerizing here you get caught with your pants down from time to time. 😉

Exactly! I've been caught sleeping at the wheel many times! .....😂

DJ Saoco
45 Pages<<3738394041>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error