#1 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:07:48 PM(UTC)
Hello, I've been thinking recently with the KoenigseggRegera's One Gear setup, could that work with another car? I haven't looked into doing it but it's been on my mind. Can someone reply if this is even a feasible option for a tune for a car other than the Regera?
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:44:08 AM(UTC)
I doubt this can be possible in any other car other then the Regera, although i could be wrong, most cars tend to lose their power, launch, grip or even wheelspin on the low RPMs when you only have that 1 gear all the way down, the Regera is a special car though :P
I don't know much more about this but i've tested a 1 gear ratio tune and it just isn't worth it on most cars.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:17:06 AM(UTC)
Like devil said, the regera has a very unusual setup... Only another hybrid with the same transmission would pull it off.

On the other hand, for at least drag racing, fewer gears is sometimes best. Like the Torqueflite and Powerglide transmissions, I've geared my drag cars to make the run with only the gears they need. My Holden Ute can make a 23-second run in 5 gears at 214mph, just slightly slower than some of the darts and cobras. Some might argue against this and there might even be some data to show it isn't always ideal, but I've been in a few races where I took the win because an opponent had to shift to 6th just before the line. That is, of course, for drag racing...

The big thing to be aware of is your engine's power-band. When setting gears, you want to keep your shifts within the strongest RPM range. Drop too low and you won't accelerate enough (find RPMs with more torque), drop too high and you won't get enough time between shifts to accelerate. For example, I set my second gear to start wherever the turbo-lag ends, and every gear after about 1k-RPMs higher. I find this works for me in just about every car/race/situation.
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:37:39 PM(UTC)
One great trick i use is to set the 1st gear i bit lower so it has more time to reach it's limit after it stops the burnout, this has been a big problem is some stock drag cars, that's why some people even shift to 2nd before launching (all this for cars that have a lot of power, mostly on AWDs) the thing here is that you need to find the optimal deadzone in the first and last gears so they can match your launch burnout to keep the momentum and at the top speed to keep those RPMs up high, it's also wise to leave a bit of space between the redline in case you have to drag behind someone.
As for the stock tune upgraded drag cars, some would just need to shift in the middle of the burnout which ruins the entire momentum.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:36:45 PM(UTC)
most cars in FH3 perform better in AWD form, which also means they usually need much shorter ratios and lower gears to fully utilize better traction, so no.

Even my 700PI close-to drag-tune Torana with stock tires 1500hp(V12+AWD swap), after testing extensively on drag strip it's at its best form with a 1st gear of ~150mph and requires 3 gears in total to clear the drag strip. So unless you want RWD stupidity for lower-than-S2 classes the answer is very likely no.
i5-6600K@4.78GHz
GTX 1080@2100MHz core/10786MHz
2X8GB Hyper X DDR4@2545MHz 15-16-16-30-401-1T
Mobo: Z170-D3H(F4 BIOS,F5 BadOC)

#6 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2020 7:15:11 AM(UTC)
There is a car that uses one gear setup to drastically improve top speed: FM4 Koenigsegg CCX 6gears:221.1mph 1gear 268.8mph
#7 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2020 5:24:44 AM(UTC)
Arent there electric cars with only 1 or maybe 2 gear?

PTG Home

Race Team
Tester
Tuner

Notification

Icon
Error