#1 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2020 5:28:23 AM(UTC)
Greetings

Recently purchased a Thrustmaster TMX and I have to say I'm surprised at how it feels - best way to put it is... unnatural. Handling isn't a problem, I'm getting what I believe to be realistic feedback with regards to road feel and understeer etc, it's just the feeling during steering feels all lumpy and ungraceful, not remotely smooth to steer even during steady state. Even a slight turn on a straight wants to yank the wheel or it jinks like I've hit a curb or something. I've tried a ton of recommended settings listed here, YouTube and Reddit and most feel more or less the same, despite extremes one way or the other. The only thing that feels 'better' is turning the FFB right down to 30-40.

The nearest thing to a race car I've driven is a banger racer (stock car) on a dirt oval and even that felt smooth compared to the TMX. I've driven a lot of different vehicles, some quite 'fast' and except when pushing it round a roundabout or sweeping bend I don't remember steering being anywhere near this forceful on a smooth surface. In a straight line, I'd expect the steering in a modern GT car to be light, being easy to jink left or right out from draft. The TMX feels like it wants to rip the wheel from my hands ALL the time.

It felt the same with PC2 as well. Is this 'realistic'? Is steering really this rough on a real track for modern race cars and modified street cars? Any real-life racers here who can give some general pointers on base FFB setups? How would I know if my wheel is faulty?

Feel free to post your 2020 settings because most I've found on the net are from early 2019 or older.
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 5:34:52 AM(UTC)
Ok... well... my problem has fixed itself??

The only thing I did differently when switching on this morning was swapping the USB cable to my wireless controller (to keep it on together with wheel) while on Xbox dash, and THEN plugging my wheel USB in after having checked the settings in the PC control panel, still using the wheel to start the game.

Now I have a smooth wheel with so much better FFB and I'm beating my controller lap times by three tenths...

So... mods can delete this or change the thread title in case someone else has the same issue?

Thanks for all the replies :p
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 8:15:48 AM(UTC)
Well, no not realistic. Despite them touting how improvements have been made, it just doesn't replicate steering feel of a real car. Assetto Corsa is my go-to game for wheel-play, with PCARS2 being a bit of an oddball, because it sometimes works, but at other times, feels very odd.

If Forza can replicate wheel animation and behaviour the way AC does, it'll be a winner. They're just slacking it in this department. I think Forza 8 will lean even more towards arcade because they have taken a very different direction since the last 2-3 games. They are now EA no. 2.

Edited by user Saturday, April 18, 2020 8:17:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#4 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2020 4:27:17 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: GlorifiedDemon Go to Quoted Post
I'm getting what I believe to be realistic feedback with regards to road feel and understeer etc, it's just the feeling during steering feels all lumpy and ungraceful, not remotely smooth to steer even during steady state. Even a slight turn on a straight wants to yank the wheel or it jinks like I've hit a curb or something. I've tried a ton of recommended settings listed here, YouTube and Reddit and most feel more or less the same, despite extremes one way or the other. The only thing that feels 'better' is turning the FFB right down to 30-40.

The TMX feels like it wants to rip the wheel from my hands ALL the time.

It felt the same with PC2 as well.

Hello, I'm not sure if you already figured this out, but from what you described it sounds to me like you have the wheel on the wrong "sensitivity mode". This feature is apparently only available for the Xbox One and reverts to option 1, when the wheel is disconnected. I usually set it to the 3rd option (3 LED flashes).

You can find the "mode button" next to the Xbox-Home button on the wheel base, you can change mode by using the mode button & the right shift paddle.

Check the following instructions for more details:
https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/kb/6732-en/

Edited by user Monday, April 20, 2020 4:49:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Personal settings info added

#5 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 7:53:16 AM(UTC)
Welcome...first of all the default wheel settings either on xbox or PC are over-steer city...every corner is a spin.

I've been playing mostly Horizon lately so forgive my memory of the settings, but I also have a TMX. The wheel diameter is smaller on our setups, so the first thing you want to do is limit your rotation to something like 540 to 720 degrees of steering. You can, by the way, over-ride the game settings by using the method above...I think two flashes is 540 and three flashes is 720, or vice-versa...something like that, a lower steering ratio will make steering feel "tighter". Or just go into the menu and set it there, when you exit the menu I believe the wheel is updated to whatever you set it to. But the minute you play with the MODE button on the TMX wheel base itself, the in-game settings I think are then overridden...*something* like that :)

From memory...try FFB at about 40% (yes, really), lower spring centering to like 40% and dampening to something like 20%.....this will make it feel more like power-steering in most cars that should have it while performance cars or race cars with wider tires and more weight or downforce feel heavier....personally I turn vibration on but only have it at like 10 or 20% because it helps you feel when the antilocks kick in.....at least I think.....again, been awhile since FM7 on the wheel (I am, sadly, much faster in Motorsports on the controller with its bevvy of user-assists for controller users that are on by default). Also don't be tempted to put your game into Simulation steering, leave it in Normal either with a controller or with a wheel.....I recall motorsports has more wheel settings than Horizon does....but things like oversteer/understeer should just be left at 50% if applicable to this game......try turning things down and slowly ramping up to get what feels 'right' to you.

I found 720 steering with light effects felt most 'like real cars' to me, but that meant I wasn't as able to correct oversteer in the game without some super quick reactions (which, unsurprisingly, is like real life)......the game can be more forgiving with a lower steering ratio, meaning the wheel gets heavier, quicker, as you start to lose grip and as such you don't have to move the wheel as much to correct those errors...making the wheel more 'stick' like. This is sort of what I call the Gran Turismo setting, since back in the PS2 days wheels were all 270 or 360 degrees and this is that super-tight steering you'd get in those games with the old logitech wheels.

#6 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2020 11:45:58 PM(UTC)
So they still haven't tuned wheel use properly since what, FM2 I think?

Until they refine it up to AC-level, I think most are better off with a controller. But that's just my opinion and nothing else. I don't own a wheel anyway but nearly all my racing game buddies do. Most of them don't even have Forza in their collection.
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2020 8:22:10 AM(UTC)
Here's an in depth view:

Firstly, stock settings are horrible and the in-game descriptions are flat out bad. The actual Forza support site is far better at explaining what's going on with each setting and what changing it does then the game is. Stock settings are bad for multiple reasons which I won't get into in this post but will if anyone wants me to but here's an in depth look into what you should do and what's useful:

Vibration:

Unrealistic and useless. It's canned effect that serves little to no purpose and just feels clunky and awkward. You should run this at 0%. Reason why is because of two reasons. Firstly, the rear wheels have an effect on vibration (which they shouldn't) for example, losing teaction makes the wheel vibrate (which is dumb beyond belief). Secondly the wheel vibrates when you over work the front tires which again is dumb. The only time a wheel would vibrate in real life is when you go over extremely uneven surfaces like gravel or dirt or if you lock up a front tire so badly to cause a flat spot.

Mechanical Trail:

It's done okay in the game. Lower settings tend to be better than higher settings as I find setting it too high seems to make the feeling a tad clunky and unsmooth (though load sensitivity seems to solve this slightly). I hate the rattle and shake effect when braking with ABS On though, that needs to be fixed immediately for next game.

Pneumatic Trail:

The only complaint I have is that different compounds don't effect how the pneumonia trail drop off changes. Harder compounds should have less peaky grip compared to softer compounds. Aside from that, I find it works pretty well and is quite communicative.

Load Sensitivity:

It's great to smooth out the forces if you prefer a smoother but less detailed feeling FFB. Feels best on cars that in real life would have smoother steering (Luxury Cars etc). Also great for drifting to reduce it but you do lose fidelity.

Road Feel:

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Too much over exaggerates the feeling of the tracks but setting it relatively low gives a nice feeling.

Centre Sping:

Another canned effect. It's okay if it's set extremely low but setting it too high effectively cancels our dynamic FFB. It's a good tool to smooth out the FFB and reduce oscillation but I would only run it in tiny amounts if any at all.

Dynamic Damper:

Run at 100 all the time otherwise you'll slow the rotation of the wheel down when drifting if you run and damper.

Damper:

Run in very small amounts if any at all otherwise you mask the FFB. Good to prevent oscillations.

In short:

1. Stock setting suck.
2. FFB is decent once tweaked correctly.
3. If on PC, I'd always prefer EmuWheel.

Notification

Icon
Error