3 Pages123PrevNext
 1 user liked this post.
#26 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 8:00:31 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Novaly6933 Go to Quoted Post
If Forza Horizon 5 was announced with it's classic "Summer of your life!" and complete lack of seasons, about how many people would say it's an absolute dealbreaker and hate that it's gone? Very, very little. Maybe even not at all!

Why compromise?.. When we can actually have all? ("Drive Anytime")

Originally Posted by: FlashyClamp5213 Go to Quoted Post

Feedback welcome.

Originally Posted by: gamer1000k Go to Quoted Post
I get the feeling this poor implementation is yet another casualty of the game's online first focus, because if players could pick a desired season in offline mode, it would make playing offline superior to online freeroam, and further reduce the number of players in online freeroam. So instead they made the game worse for everyone.

Thus making the game worse overall and sells worse thereby? Sounds implausible...

I doubt the devs will fix anything with the seasons at this point...

But that's apparently what has to be fixed in the future series...

Rather than using the new game as the test ground (which is no doubt gonna attract lots of attention), testing things first in a game that's approaching its end of life seems wiser.

...bolster online metrics.

Bolstering the sales metrics should be of more use.

Originally Posted by: Tilo38 Go to Quoted Post
Others than street races, we can create custom races with exactly the season and weather conditions we want, so that, even playing only offline, the impact on racing is quite low.

Originally Posted by: Jezza14 Go to Quoted Post
Is this a big issue? Not really - I guess it’s a bit irritating if you really hate the snow and like cruising around or are really into danger signs and speed zones.

However, you can set any race you do to be in whatever conditions you want, so it makes zero difference to anyone who primarily likes single player racing.

3 problems of "Custom Events":
  • Drivatards (not everyone wants a race)
  • Checkpoints & Wrong Way Reset (intrusive design)
  • Lack of Traffic

So definitely, I hope it will stay...

But what if things improved with perfect backward compatibility?..

Old players can still enjoy the game in the way they get used to, undisturbed; while new capabilities are added to enable new possibilities, for those who seek a change, and potential new players.

...surprised even race feature survives to Eliminator trend.

What has been troubled me: Core of the game?..

Up to me, winter still comes with bit excessive grip, Blizzard mountain was better on this aspect.

The forced seasons are the reason winter handling is so grippy, since this season is forced on everyone they had to make it unrealistically easy to drive to avoid too many players skipping the season entirely, as opposed to Blizzard Mountain where players could CHOOSE to go to winter if they wanted it.

Originally Posted by: TheWarmWind76 Go to Quoted Post
...forcing them on us is just plain wrong. The worst part though? Winter is too much of a compromise because it is forced on us. Blizzard mountain was a far, far, far superior winter.

1 major difference is the lack of icy (frozen) road surfaces, thus the overall compromised driving experience.

The same also applies to the enforced weather. (downplayed aquaplaning effect in wet conditions)

Originally Posted by: ChickenWorm4902 Go to Quoted Post
...being interesting to drive in. I would gladly trade seasons for a map twice as big as this one with more interesting locations and roads to drive.

I think a hybrid of open world and non-open world would be the perfect solution.

Somewhat related:

Originally Posted by: TheWarmWind76 Go to Quoted Post
What we need are biomes. Purpose built locations that suit each condition best.

Originally Posted by: NightDriver7800 Go to Quoted Post
However, the true reason behind them is that FH4 was developed as a service, to take full advantage of Game Pass. That's why it relies too much on timed content, and the seasons help keep the game fresh.

Hmm?.. But does this aid the game's sales?

Probably related: Core of the game?..

Be careful about what we wish, T10 is a Djinn, always corrupts whatever people wish...

So they can make themselves out of the business in an unprecedented speed?..

Originally Posted by: El Barto inc Go to Quoted Post
Ow so many people have too much time on their hands.

We enjoy the game differently. Nothing spectacular.

Originally Posted by: FullNietzsche Go to Quoted Post
...summer only... Will help with the tedious loading times too.

Negligibly I fear... It's not a main factor.

Originally Posted by: Jerakeen2826 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: grolschie Go to Quoted Post
Holy Wall of Text, Batman! Too long, didn't read.

Short attention span or just poor reading skills?

...It's merely the fact that nothing enjoys parsing a bunch of text walls.

Thus the famous saying: "Garbage in, garbage out". (no offence intended)

Same page, their fear of too many leader boards is so unjustified.

Is it?

I bet if they had winter rivals leaderboards, they would be a ghost town.

their fear was too much data ... like if having more races people would do more rivals ... most of us a going there for testing cars and learning tracks without being annoyed by other cars, being on leaderboard being the little plus

This sort of data cost little storage.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 31, 2020 9:52:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#27 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 8:05:04 AM(UTC)
Personally, I like the seasons. FH4 is two games for me.....one are the weekly forzathon challenges which I do with a controller to save up points for those rare cars I missed or struggle with unlocking.
The second is the cruising aspect, for that I use my wheel and it becomes a much 'harder' game, mostly with a wheel I can't easily drive 3rd person and I struggle to recover from spins...aka: more realistic so you have to drive more consciously depending on what car you're in. With a controller I can do first/third person and drift/slide to my hearts content. I know some people at Playground must be fans of the last two Project Gotham Racing games because they have nailed that feeling *perfectly*, including the weather/night effects.....and that in my humble opinion was the best racing on any console up to that point (arcade-ish racing, that is). Horizon scratches that itch.

What I personally want, and I think everyone wants this, is more surface area and more roads. Having 1 stretch of superhighway and 1 lengthy route 'around' is simply not enough. I get why they make the Fortune Island map but, again, when 75% of your cars are for road and track.....why not have more road and track. If Lego had been "Motorsports Island" with some built-in track layouts...why, would anyone have been disappointed? Motorsports Island with tracks and then roads connecting the tracks.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of having mostly "open hoonigan space and dirt roads" everywhere, I'd be putting more tarmac down and more elevation changes, but FH4 is very much a more interesting game than FH3. Tried to go back to FH3, was amazed at how little road there was in that game and how quickly you could get around the map without trying very hard and how utterly flat it was, you can only race through the subtropical jungle area so many times before going "damn I wish this was the entire half of the map"....... Also forgot how hard the trees are down in 'stralia ;)

Edited by user Sunday, March 29, 2020 8:07:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users liked this post.
#28 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 10:55:45 AM(UTC)
Here is my take then.
I really enjoy winter, I love driving in snow or rain - fast (IRL and in game).
I like it that I can enjoy and experience all season in only a month.
I also like to build my car to drive well on snow, not just in perfect sunny dry conditions.

Lastly I'm here to have fun and FH4 as is provides for me.
Alfa Romeo - made in Italy, perfected in my garage
 4 users liked this post.
#29 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 11:05:06 AM(UTC)
It needs deeper snow and white-out blizzards!
 4 users liked this post.
#30 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:23:47 PM(UTC)

1 user liked this post.
#31 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 1:18:39 PM(UTC)
Here is my take then.
I also like to build my car to drive well on snow, not just in perfect sunny dry conditions.

Nobody here is complaining about winter though, it's how little the difference is with the other 3 when it was the main thing this game shouted about before release.

Adding to that is how the championships and online races have pre-determined conditions so can make the seasons feature even more pointless, there's been summer events in the rain before now and online adventure can take place in any season.

I doubt anyone's going to base their decision of buying FH5 on whether seasons is present or not.
#32 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 1:53:49 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: breeminator Go to Quoted Post
I like winter, I think it has the most beautiful scenery of any of the seasons.

However, the seasons need to be properly integrated into the game, for example we need to be able to choose the season in rivals so we can have leaderboards for each season. The stories need to either fix the conditions, or have different targets for 1/2/3 stars and different leaderboards per season. Same for PR stunts.

Same page, their fear of too many leader boards is so unjustified.

Is it?

I bet if they had winter rivals leaderboards, they would be a ghost town.

their fear was too much data ... like if having more races people would do more rivals ... most of us a going there for testing cars and learning tracks without being annoyed by other cars, being on leaderboard being the little plus
 3 users liked this post.
#33 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 2:56:41 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Jerakeen2826 Go to Quoted Post

Neither. Thanks for your concern. LOL

1 user liked this post.
#34 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2020 10:26:49 PM(UTC)
I rather like the seasons. They are easy enough, quick to do, but still provide some challenge, you get to mix things up a bit, and get new cars.

The only two things I don’t like are the playground games and the time factor.

The playground games are just boring and they take entirely too long. Just make them single game at least, I don’t think you could find more than a handful of people in all of Forzadom that actually enjoy forced random grouping best of 5. It’s just a time sink, the gaming world has much better time sinks...

The time factor is much less of an issue but I do think it would be nice to have a catch up or something similar. People go out of town have busy weeks etc. The game has enough cars now that it could be a very long time before one someone missed shows back up as a reward again.
 2 users liked this post.
#35 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 4:20:44 AM(UTC)
I completely agree about the Playground Games. I hate that I'm forced to do them to get the weekly points. Not fun at all.
 1 user liked this post.
#36 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 4:22:19 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TheGillesMuller Go to Quoted Post
Nobody here is complaining about winter

From the OP (and I could quote even more ranting about winter if I wanted!)

"Not sure if it's true, but I heard that 2/3rds of the playerbase disappear during winter. If it is, I'm not surprised one bit. Winter is the bane of my enjoyment with this game."
#37 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 5:15:26 AM(UTC)
well, the original post was a pain in the eyes. Followed by too many pointless suggestions.

I did read a few bits from those I recognize as regular, wise players that faithfully offer useful advice.

BadRiver
Forza Veteran
Microsoft Xbox One X
Microsoft Xbox Series X
#38 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 5:44:07 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: TheGillesMuller Go to Quoted Post
Nobody here is complaining about winter

From the OP (and I could quote even more ranting about winter if I wanted!)

"Not sure if it's true, but I heard that 2/3rds of the playerbase disappear during winter. If it is, I'm not surprised one bit. Winter is the bane of my enjoyment with this game."

He's in the minority then, winter's the only one where this feature is any degree of worthwhile.

I rather ignored OP after reading it once, that was enough despite agreeing with parts of it.

Still don't think the feature is much use though overall, like someone previously mentioned my bet is that it was more likely made to fit around it's trash 'I can't be bothered to make a lasting bug free game for release' live service model, not to enhance the game.
 3 users liked this post.
#39 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 8:36:51 AM(UTC)
Although I play FH4 quite a bit (423 hours driving so far) I'm not a hard-core gamer. And I like the season changes. Winter's not my favorite, but I love to see the broom blossoming at the road in the spring time, the baled hay in the fields in the fall, and the sheep quietly grazing across the road from my little thatched cottage when I putt out to the end of the driveway and pause for a moment to look around at the scene and the weather. The fall color in the trees can be spectacular in free roam in autumn.

Edited by user Monday, March 30, 2020 8:41:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#40 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 12:57:15 PM(UTC)
I like winter, I think it has the most beautiful scenery of any of the seasons.

However, the seasons need to be properly integrated into the game, for example we need to be able to choose the season in rivals so we can have leaderboards for each season. The stories need to either fix the conditions, or have different targets for 1/2/3 stars and different leaderboards per season. Same for PR stunts.

It puzzles me that Forza Motorsport has wet LBs and Forza Horizon does not have season-specific ones.
May the forced induction be with you.

Alice >>>>>>>>>> Keira
#41 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 1:07:36 PM(UTC)
I am very much aware that many enjoy the winter season, so in no way would I ever advocate the removal of this season. But....

I do not like the winter season, probably because I live in NW Ohio and hate driving in this stuff in real life, and as such, only do the weekly forzathon challenges, and nothing else until Spring comes along.

I spend the winter weeks playing other games.

Funny enough, though, I usually have great success in the winter forzathons, and finish them quite quickly. I still don't like looking at the snow......

Edited by user Monday, March 30, 2020 8:09:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#42 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 4:35:12 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: luckeydoug1 Go to Quoted Post
I am very much aware that many enjoy the winter season, so in no way would I ever advocate the removal of this season. But....

I do not like the winter season, probably because I live in NW Ohio and hate driving in this stuff in real life, and as such, only due the weekly forzathon challenges, and nothing else until Spring comes along.

I spend the winter weeks playing other games.

Funny enough, though, I usually have great success in the winter forzathons, and finish them quite quickly. I still don't like looking at the snow......

NW Ohio, eh? Which part? I’m from Sandusky lol
#43 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2020 8:09:18 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Clutch63 Go to Quoted Post

NW Ohio, eh? Which part? I’m from Sandusky lol
Luckey. Hence, my user name, : )

Edited by user Monday, March 30, 2020 8:10:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#44 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 1:28:45 AM(UTC)
Sorry to say this, but I feel this is just another thread about everything wrong with FH4 - seems to be a big hit lately, considering how many similar threads emerged.
People having too much time on their hands and all I see is hate lately ... is there really nothing good in FH4 (life?)?
And as I already said. if somebody has such a big problem with this game, why not just move on?
#45 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 2:13:57 AM(UTC)
Sorry to say this, but I feel this is just another thread about everything wrong with FH4 - seems to be a big hit lately, considering how many similar threads emerged.
People having too much time on their hands and all I see is hate lately ... is there really nothing good in FH4 (life?)?
And as I already said. if somebody has such a big problem with this game, why not just move on?

Ugh why are you getting so defensive? And why does everyone nowadays class saying you don't like something as 'hating on it'?

Perhaps rather than 'too much time on their hands' people get irritated by such a fantastic core being surrounded by so much garbage and unnecessary stuff?

People also have a right to a strong opinion on this mechanic as it was constantly shoved in our faces and used as a main selling point before release.

Go and hang out with that Clutch nixon guy if all you want to see is fawning, gushing and thinking this game is above criticism.

#46 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 2:40:46 AM(UTC)
I think seasons is a reasonably decent addition to the game, without being in any way game changing. It showcases some very nice graphics and the changeable weather works well in the races - I had a great race in ranked yesterday where I built a large lead in dry conditions over the first lap and then the rain started - narrowly held on for the win with my car sliding all over the place.

Could they have done it so it wasn’t done in weekly stints? Of course. Is this a big issue? Not really - I guess it’s a bit irritating if you really hate the snow and like cruising around or are really into danger signs and speed zones. However, you can set any race you do to be in whatever conditions you want, so it makes zero difference to anyone who primarily likes single player racing.
#47 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:21:31 AM(UTC)
@TheGillesMuller
I'm even gonna try to respond. Knock yourself out with this and other threads.

PS
Also congrats on being my first person here, to land on block list
#48 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 5:45:25 AM(UTC)
@TheGillesMuller
I'm even gonna try to respond. Knock yourself out with this and other threads.

PS
Also congrats on being my first person here, to land on block list

Wow...I mean seriously...wow.

Says a lot though, the likes of NightDriver + gamer1000k who portray their views against things in FH4 use valid points and theories in well structured posts while this guy counters with nothing factual, says people have too much time on their hands (despite he himself coming on this forum as much as anyone else) then hits block over a post where the biggest insult towards him was calling him defensive.

Make your own mind up about what type of person acts like that.
#49 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 11:09:29 AM(UTC)
Here is my take then.

This! 100%. (Except the "IRL" part, which is dangerous)

#50 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 11:15:06 AM(UTC)
...another thread about everything wrong with FH4

Knowing where it fails, realizing what could be done to avoid such failures.

The information can be valuable.

As I already said, and:

We enjoy the game differently.

Either the game fixes the problems, improves and remains dominant in its current position; or, soon or later, a new franchise will rise up. Campaign against the old on exactly where it fails.

And I'm happy with either result.

Centuries ago... there was a great Empire in the East.

"The divine holy land, with resources in abundance"...

3 Pages123PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error