This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
45 Pages<<1920212223>>PrevNext
 1 user liked this post.
#501 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2020 2:07:17 PM(UTC)
🎹 Built a BRAT.... watched it run.... gave it the day in the sun..... 🎼

Lots of testing today. My sleeper car is the Mitsubishi Starion.....

🎹 Take you where you want to be..... 🎼
#502 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2020 5:17:56 AM(UTC)
Got about 5 laps in this morning in a NA6 dolled up to look like what mine would look like if I had money and time. Build's still in flux, and the base setup needs a lot of work. May be it for the week for me, however; got a lot of stuff that needs to get done this weekend.

Current best: 1:36.3-something.
#503 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2020 1:37:46 PM(UTC)
01:32.9 MX5. 👍
 1 user liked this post.
#504 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2020 4:39:00 PM(UTC)
Burnin chose wisely..... 1:38:898 😎
 2 users liked this post.
#505 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2020 4:55:17 PM(UTC)
Definitely the Miata, I just couldn't find one with enough power so I built my own. Got tired of running over the rear wing laying out in the middle of the track so I took it off and gained 0.5 sec :-).

1:32.880 in a stock looking 243 HP sleeper that weighs less than 2K.

Crash
 2 users liked this post.
#506 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2020 4:36:23 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: crash220 Go to Quoted Post
1:32.880 in a stock looking 243 HP sleeper that weighs less than 2K.

Did you keep the daisies (stock wheels)? I've gone back and forth about it, both in game and in real life. They're ugly as sin and just scream "I WAS DESIGNED IN THE '80S!", but they're "period correct" and (in real life, at least) very lightweight. Just a hair over 12lbs each. Getting hard to find decent tires for 14"s, though.

My build's a bit of a middle ground; 205 horses, around 2150 lbs. All stock-looking except the wheels (which are the nearest in-game equivalent to the now-discontinued Konig Helix-es that I really wanted to get). Could do with a bit wider rubber, but 195 is the widest square setup available, so that's what it's getting.

==

Edit to add:

Made some minor refinements to the setup. Camber's coming out weird (-1.8F/-2.3R), but the car's fairly well-balanced as long as you don't upset it. Uploaded as HLC18 LB v0.3. Going to try to get the rear to transition a little more smoothly, but may run out of time before I get it sorted.

Current best: 1:34.885

Edited by user Sunday, February 23, 2020 6:09:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#507 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2020 8:58:58 AM(UTC)

stock looking 243 HP sleeper that weighs less than 2K

.....nice job....👍

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#508 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2020 9:02:12 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Mr Pinstripes Go to Quoted Post
Did you keep the daisies (stock wheels)?

I tried, the game just favors heavy low profile. My theory is two fold:
one - the low profile gives you a slightly wider contact patch so you can tune the tire size between sizes
two - PI gets set off lateral g (grip rating) and 0-60/0-100 times (acceleration rating) therefore, very dependent total mass. Game still tracks spung/un-sprung mass. Mass carried in heavy wheels and or brakes can't weight transfer in a corner until you start traction rolling and lift it off the track. More even distribution of load = more grip in the math model for same total PI.

Down to 1:32.345 in v2 with some damper tweaks. 1:31 is definitely possible if I could just figure out how to get it consistent transitioning off the brakes and back on to the throttle. Drive it in too hard and the front lets go and you smack the outside wall, back off a little and the rear comes around too fast and you hit the inside wall. Get it right and you can feel the tires smoothly load and unload. Yours definitely feels better on the wheel but I just need power on this track for some reason. I think it has a lot to do with my F100 on drag slicks with 8.6 accel that set my line on this track in C class back in FM5.

Crash

Edited by user Sunday, February 23, 2020 12:15:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#509 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2020 12:22:58 PM(UTC)
Might be worth moving the brake bias rearward a percent or two and seeing if that helps out. I definitely have mine set more rearward than I'd expect given the square tire setup and neutralish weight distribution (I think the current iteration's at 43%). Haven't watched the latest replay to see if it's enough yet, but the car was still trying to swap ends as soon as I let off the brake, so I kinda doubt it.

Interesting theory on the heavy wheels phenomenon. There's definitely something going on beyond just twinky PI manipulation; none of the other weight adders have anywhere near the level of impact that wheels do.
#510 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2020 4:32:36 PM(UTC)
Back to 49 seems to help, had it forward to 51 with 45 on diff to keep it from swapping ends. Actually more front tire and a little more square 235/245 seems to be helping. Confirms my suspicion that the overseer was a symptom of too much steering input to overcome the understeer. Moving the rear roll stiffness from the springs to the rear bar parried with little less accel on diff is also improving exit grip. I've got plenty of cars with 245 or less stock rubber handling way more than 243 HP so something most still be off. Feels better but I'm not sure I'm going to able to duplicate the LB run, stuck in the mid 33's all day.

Crash

*EDIT*
V7 is out and much easier to drive but down 4HP all I can muster is 1:32.447 in it.

Edited by user Sunday, February 23, 2020 6:49:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#511 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2020 6:05:18 PM(UTC)
1:37:320 😎
#512 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 12:48:19 AM(UTC)
Back to 49 seems to help, had it forward to 51 with 45 on diff to keep it from swapping ends. Actually more front tire and a little more square 235/245 seems to be helping. Confirms my suspicion that the overseer was a symptom of too much steering input to overcome the understeer. Moving the rear roll stiffness from the springs to the rear bar parried with little less accel on diff is also improving exit grip. I've got plenty of cars with 245 or less stock rubber handling way more than 243 HP so something most still be off. Feels better but I'm not sure I'm going to able to duplicate the LB run, stuck in the mid 33's all day.

Crash

*EDIT*
V7 is out and much easier to drive but down 4HP all I can muster is 1:32.447 in it.

Crash I dig that you always go the power route. I’m actually surprised that a no aero tune is competitive in Long Beach.

Had my own take on your v2 build which brought me a new PB of 1.32.3. Tune is shared if you wanna try.
#513 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 4:58:45 PM(UTC)
Decided to try a more power-centric build myself, since it seems to be a thing now. Mine's at 238 horsepower and 1988 lbs (should drop the driveshaft to make it 1990...) riding on 235F/245R stock compound tires. I had initially set the brake bias at 42% for testing, then chickened out and raised it back up to 43% when I started lapping. That was probably a mistake. Car's easier to brake straight in, but I'm getting that nasty "unbrake" oversteer again and braking distances seem a bit longer (hard to tell for sure; this track isn't the best when it comes to braking point markers). Gotta review the springs, too, as I dropped them down to 2.1Hz F/2.14Hz R (around 230 in/lbs each) and it may have been too much.

Still, the car's probably a full second faster than my previous build.

Current best: 1:34.141
 1 user liked this post.
#514 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 5:16:19 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: fifty inch Go to Quoted Post

Crash I dig that you always go the power route. I’m actually surprised that a no aero tune is competitive in Long Beach.

Had my own take on your v2 build which brought me a new PB of 1.32.3. Tune is shared if you wanna try.

Awesome, I was getting tired of chasing MOSS! I almost allays use no aero at Long Beach = low speed turns connected by long straits, no high speed sweepers followed by a strait were aero rules. Besides it doesn't take as much talent to mash the gas down the strait. Oil cooler is my go to option with no aero, push on power/weight but more excess-power/weight at high speed. Tune felt great, it took me a few laps to back up my braking point with the extra understeer but I made up the time getting the power down earlier. Lap times were on par I just can't duplicate my LB run. V7 is still my most consistent lap times.

Since we are in the tuners thread:

V2 @minsons - Thanks for running it!
215/30R18 245/30R17
243 HP / 1,890 lb
28/28
N/A
-1.8/-1.1,0/0,6.2
23.06/18.70
251.7/251.1
5.2/5.2
4.1/4.1
3.8/4.0
N/A
49/115
80/20

V7
235/25R18 245/25R18
237 HP / 1,903 lb
29/29
N/A
-1.8/-1.0,0/0,6.2
24.06/21.70
208.4/200.3
5.2/5.2
3.9/3.9
3.5/3.3
N/A
47/115
28/28 (Duh moment.... unlock the diff and it rotates in the hairpin!) One wheel peel if you are not careful.

Crash

Edited by user Monday, February 24, 2020 5:28:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#515 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 1:07:13 PM(UTC)

V2 @minsons - Thanks for running it!

Thanks to you for the tune! Today I've tried v7, and in my opinion v2 is way better (at least i am more comfortable with it). I don't like long beach very much, but with your tune i've enjoyed the last couple of days. Still have a couple of tenths left i think.
 1 user liked this post.
#516 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 2:03:20 PM(UTC)
After messing around with a pseudoclone of Crash's build for a bit, I decided to return to the square 195s (*copy/paste my default staggered tire rant here*) and rebuild the car from there. Bumped the stock compound up to Street to try to maintain similar grip levels to the 235/245s, then balanced the power and weight as seemed most reasonable with the PI I had left. Ended up at 241 horsepower at 2092 lbs. Sidebar says I don't have as much lateral grip and like 20 feet longer braking distances, but I'm pretty sure it's full of bullplop. Got in a few quick laps to get springs and ride height re-sorted, made some fiddly adjustments to camber, and dropped the brake bias back to 42% rear.

Car's more pleasant to drive, and seems more forgiving at the limit. Still a lot more squirrely than I'd expect, and I can't exactly sort out why. Not a deal-breaker, anyways; I'd much rather wrangle a squirrely car than suffer a staid one, as I'm sure I've mentioned at least once or twice.

Current best (and likely final): 1:33.625

Really wish we had [spoiler] or [code] tags on this forum; I'd be a lot less hesitant to post full build/setup breakdowns if it didn't end up taking up half the screen. My posts are long enough as-is.

Speaking of which...

Edited by user Tuesday, February 25, 2020 2:06:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#517 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 4:37:24 PM(UTC)
Got a long day tomorrow so I’m done in CA.....

Official time.... Long Beach Full..... HLR BURNINASPHALT..... Mazda MX 5 90.... 1:37:232 😎
 2 users liked this post.
#518 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2020 5:00:07 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: minsons Go to Quoted Post
I've tried v7, and in my opinion v2 is way better (at least i am more comfortable with it)

That is why I keep the old ones around (at least when I can make room). Definitely not the first time I rolled back to find new was NOT better. LB kind of speaks for its self, I'm still in V2!

Thanks for the feedback,
Crash

P.S. Shout out to hansonalanrob, my favorite (and fastest) grip tune 1:34.1s all day long lap after lap.
 1 user liked this post.
#519 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 12:43:45 PM(UTC)

P.S. Shout out to hansonalanrob, my favorite (and fastest) grip tune 1:34.1s all day long lap after lap.

Thanks Crash. Nice to know someone can drive with one of my tunes.

2 users liked this post.
#520 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:03:05 PM(UTC)
Yet another division where one car stood out from the bunch. The 1990 MazdaMX-5 Miata was used by all but one of our drivers, with Okie choosing to give the Alfa Spider a spin.

THR Rich showed his class again by making the top 10, and leading our podium drivers, minsons , and PTG Benny, by more than 6 tenths of a second.

crash220 and fifty inch appeared to enjoy the week, both successfully running and sharing excellent non-aero builds.

With 29 drivers running, we are pleased to welcome back Superlocrio.

Congratulations to all our winners.

Here is a snapshot of the final standings:

Our winners:

Tier 1: THR Rich wins a paint for his 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata.

Tier 2: HLR Moss can legitimately drive one of the liveries :D.

Tier 3: crash220 wins a paint for his 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Tuners Prize: crash220 wins a paint for any other car from the division. Let me know if you would like this livery on any of the other cars.

To claim your paints, message HLR Moss to arrange it's sharing whilst you are waiting in the car to download. We don't want anyone else to grab them. They are each personalised for the winner and hopefully will provide you with a memory of the event.

For our next challenge we are off to Germany to drive some old hot rods. Good luck!

FM7, Series 3, Event 19
D Class (D400 Max)
Hockenheim Full Day
Restricted to any car in the Hot Rod Revival Division
Event will close at 9:00pm (UK time) on Wednesday, 4th March.

Prize Liveries for Tier winners and for the Tuner whose shared setup is placed highest when driven by another driver.

Apologies to gtFOOTw, who already has a decent time on the board in a Lotus Elan. Can you beat it?

Everyone welcome.
Simply post your times in this thread. But:
* Set your times in Rivals mode,
* Let us know if you play with a wheel,
* Let us know if you drive Hardcore.

The Leaderboard can be found here: HLC Leaderboard

The Hot Rod Revival Cars

1958 Plymouth Fury
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air FE
1956 Ford F-100
1956 Ford F-100 FE
1955 Chevrolet Utility Sedan
1953 Chevrolet Corvette
1951 Holden 50-2106 FX Ute
1948 Mercury Coupe
1946 Ford Super Deluxe Station Wagon
1946 Ford Super Deluxe Woody Wagon FE
1940 Ford De Luxe Coupe
1932 Ford De Luxe Five-Window Coupe

We last ran these cars at Silverstone with C500 builds. The Corvette was the car to beat then, and it looks likely to be the same at D400.
 1 user liked this post.
#521 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:03:39 PM(UTC)
Here are the Tiers for our Event 19. Good Luck!

PRKid

Edited by user Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:10:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DJ Saoco
 2 users liked this post.
#522 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:28:58 PM(UTC)
So many Beach Boys songs to choose from...

Will probably roll in the '40 Ford again (which, to my knowledge, is not in a Beach Boys song). I wasn't super-happy with how the last setup ran, so I'd like to try a few different approaches and see how it shakes down.

==

Edit to add:

First priority was to make a build that kept the ultra-sexy whitewalls (in addition to my usual build caveats; no aero, must keep stock fuzzy dice, etc.), which took a bit of tinkering. Current build (uploaded as HLC19 HH v1.0) is utilizing a twin turbo setup, which I'm generally not crazy about. The tractor-like torque curve of the flathead V8 seems to balance it out pretty well, though, so it's not intolerable. Plan on doing a blackwall build, too, which ought to give me a bit more flexibility in building the powerplant. Hoping I can make a NA mill work, but we'll see.

Current best: 2:06.3xx

Time was set in HLC19 HH T.3 TT (also uploaded), which is functionally identical to v1.0 save for a minor gearing tweak and a rounding correction on the spring rates.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 26, 2020 3:35:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#523 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 6:41:07 PM(UTC)
I’m going to break with tradition here and jump in the projected favorite straight away.... 😗

Found out the stock gearbox only has a grand total of 2 gears...... 🤯

Installed a street upgrade.... netted almost 5 seconds instantly.... 👍

Just north of 2:10:xxx..... 😎
#524 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 7:24:46 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: HLR Moss Go to Quoted Post
Tuners Prize: crash220[/b] wins a paint for any other car from the division. Let me know if you would like this livery on any of the other cars.

I'll take it on the Miata please. Put MrPinstripes name on the Tier3 car, it was a fluke that I dropped down at the exact moment you dialed up a very comfortable C500. I think I ended up exactly were I belonged 0.06 off your bumper and just behind Fifty. I'll have to take a rain check though because I'm actually on my way to, believe it or not, Long Beach and then off the grid for a few weeks. Hopefully the storage fees aren't too high!

Supper bummed as I have a Bel Air that rocks Hockenheimring in C class that I can't even quickly rebuild and share for this weeks comp. I might just have a power 53 Vette from Homestead that was in D class? still shared. The Fury is good in C and the Merc should be good on what should be a very very long strait in D class.

Going to Cali,
Crash

P.S. My no aero "She's real fine 409" would do really well here but sadly not allowed.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 26, 2020 7:29:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#525 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2020 5:29:46 PM(UTC)

Me an' my babe bought a V8 Ford ~ Well we wind that thing all on the runnin' board, yes...

Ran a few different builds, but couldn't find one that could match the turbo setup for performance. Handling/behavior was pretty comparable between all of them, so I'm going to stick with what works (and looks) best on this one. I did go back and rejigger the ancillary bits (driveshaft, clutch, etc.), which dropped me down around 15 pounds with no apparent negatives. After watching the telemetry I undid the gearing change I made on the last version, and have been steadily lowering my spring rate to keep the car as stable as possible over that megacurb on turn 1. The car will get at least one more pass (need ARBs, dampers, differential, and possibly another spring rate drop), but it's very driveable as-is. Setup is uploaded as HLC19 HH v1.2.

If anyone decides to give it a shot, keep in mind that your "steering device" looks suspiciously like a gas pedal. The car likes a lot of slip angle, and will absolutely reward you if you chuck it as hard as you can and ride the knife-edge between yaw and outright oversteer. If you do it right, steering input stays almost neutral through the entire turn and the car just kind of swaggers into track out like it owns it. It's a beautiful thing.

Current best: 2:04.851

Just for gits and shiggles, I'm keeping track of my total seat time for this one. Bought a brand-new '40 for this event (hence the Robert Johnson reference) and have logged 125 miles and 1h 36m so far.

I'll take it on the Miata please. Put MrPinstripes name on the Tier3 car, it was a fluke that I dropped down at the exact moment you dialed up a very comfortable C500.

Don't worry about it, man. I figure everyone gets shuffled somewhere they probably don't belong at one time or another, and I'm OK with "losing" to whomever that may be when it happens.

Have fun in California. As nice as I'm sure the weather is, I have zero willingness to put up with the rest of the state to experience it.
45 Pages<<1920212223>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error