#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:20:41 PM(UTC)
Ive been drifting a while not using a clutch but do most people use one if so what do they bind it to on xbx 1 ?
 1 user liked this post.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 8:52:01 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Trentt8 Go to Quoted Post
Ive been drifting a while not using a clutch but do most people use one if so what do they bind it to on xbx 1 ?

I hope not. It's taken me long enough to adapt to driving manual. and even the Elite controller doesn't invent new bindings out of nowhere :- I've run out of buttons on my controller and end up taking a photo whenever a race gets too hectic because the only free place to bind it was LS-press and god knows but Photo Mode is so damn important we all MUST have a binding for it.

I suspect simulation steering might be necessary as Steering: Normal prevents you going full lock to full lock and otherwise works to limit the range of any quick corrections you might need to make to the cars attitude. Unfortunately, with a 3rd person view I have found no way to adjust for the random way that even simulation steering limits your full lock :- any small change in throttle or braking, or just getting some air means that - even with no stick movement - your steering suddenly goes from 20% to 60% with a predictable contra indication to forward momentum.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 29, 2020 9:20:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 10:38:47 AM(UTC)
Clutch is important and I use default mapping, which is pretty good. You can drift pretty well without clutch but why not use it.
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 1:05:05 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: turtleCZ Go to Quoted Post
Clutch is important and I use default mapping, which is pretty good. You can drift pretty well without clutch but why not use it.

Lets see.

I steer with the left stick.
Shoulder buttons are gear up and down.
Triggers are accelerator and brake.

I need E-Brake: A
Activate: X
I play eliminator, so Horn on B
Rewind is a mandatory bind even if turned off under difficulty settings, so Y.

View gets Map, and and RS gets look around because eliminator and general racing.

Chat, Anna, next radio, switch camera and photo mode remain as mandatory binds. (Again, regardless of settings that might disable same)
Also, as I tune my own cars a lot I need access to telemetry often. And it would be nice to accept peoples online events.
Chat: D-left
Anna: D-Down
Next Radio: D-Right
Switch Camera: RS-Press.
Telemetry: D-Up
Photo Mode: LS-Press

Yes: Photo #$$*g mode is camping on LS down because I have nowhere else to put it. Now where do you suggest exactly I find space for 'clutch'? Where did you? Im already short space for bindings to trigger the online features and online events without having to open the map. I can free up one 'vanity' binding by releasing "map" from the View, but there's a world of difference in speed between opening the map, and opening the menu to open the map.

#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2020 1:35:26 PM(UTC)
I'm on PC so not sure if Xbox also has these controller profiles available but these are my settings
It's pretty easy to manage this on manual and manual /w clutch, clutch is RB
also I have Gear Up/Down swapped (B = Downshift/X = Upshift)

Though I should also note I use a PS4 Controller, these settings may differ slightly from how you might want them on Xbox

Edited by user Wednesday, January 29, 2020 1:41:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#6 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 3:36:55 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: GreenZombie76 Go to Quoted Post

Lets see.

I steer with the left stick.
Shoulder buttons are gear up and down.
Triggers are accelerator and brake.

I need E-Brake: A
Activate: X
I play eliminator, so Horn on B
Rewind is a mandatory bind even if turned off under difficulty settings, so Y.

View gets Map, and and RS gets look around because eliminator and general racing.

Chat, Anna, next radio, switch camera and photo mode remain as mandatory binds. (Again, regardless of settings that might disable same)
Also, as I tune my own cars a lot I need access to telemetry often. And it would be nice to accept peoples online events.
Chat: D-left
Anna: D-Down
Next Radio: D-Right
Switch Camera: RS-Press.
Telemetry: D-Up
Photo Mode: LS-Press

Yes: Photo #$$*g mode is camping on LS down because I have nowhere else to put it. Now where do you suggest exactly I find space for 'clutch'? Where did you? Im already short space for bindings to trigger the online features and online events without having to open the map. I can free up one 'vanity' binding by releasing "map" from the View, but there's a world of difference in speed between opening the map, and opening the menu to open the map.

You have probably bad mapping :D I don't have a map now for sure. But it should be possible to have if I have time to configure it.

I use default Forza, so everything is there... probably Anna not. Who needs Anna anyway? Or if Anna is necessary, I have switch with telemetry so I don't have it. Settings are a bit complicated and I need map so when I have more time I will try it.
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:51:53 AM(UTC)
You have probably bad mapping :D I don't have a map now for sure. But it should be possible to have if I have time to configure it.

I use default Forza, so everything is there... probably Anna not. Who needs Anna anyway? Or if Anna is necessary, I have switch with telemetry so I don't have it. Settings are a bit complicated and I need map so when I have more time I will try it.

If you use the default settings then Anna can swap with Telemetry via Advanced, but as soon as you make a single edit you are using a Custom Profile, and you must always have Anna even if you don't want or need her.

As it is, I use a custom profile rather than a default profile because: I wanted the map to be 1 button press, and, once you have selected manual, there is no default layout with map.

#8 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 10:45:43 AM(UTC)

If you use the default settings then Anna can swap with Telemetry via Advanced, but as soon as you make a single edit you are using a Custom Profile, and you must always have Anna even if you don't want or need her.

As it is, I use a custom profile rather than a default profile because: I wanted the map to be 1 button press, and, once you have selected manual, there is no default layout with map.

Exactly! That's the problem and I don't have time to play with it. It's maybe broken.
#9 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 7:12:36 AM(UTC)
I used manual with clutch on every Forza game until Horizon 4. I had to switch to manual without clutch because whenever I used the e-brake to start or extend a drift, the engine would die. It was a huge problem in some cars making drifting pretty much impossible but other cars were hardly affected. So rather than constantly switching between clutch and no clutch based on the car I was driving, I just started using no clutch on everything.

Unless you have foot pedals, I don't think using a clutch is going to give much of an advantage to drifting but it can have a very negative effect on some cars though.
#10 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 12:15:22 PM(UTC)
Which cars? I use clutch from start and didn't notice it.
 1 user liked this post.
#11 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2020 11:17:26 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Tardii Go to Quoted Post
I used manual with clutch on every Forza game until Horizon 4. I had to switch to manual without clutch because whenever I used the e-brake to start or extend a drift, the engine would die. It was a huge problem in some cars making drifting pretty much impossible but other cars were hardly affected. So rather than constantly switching between clutch and no clutch based on the car I was driving, I just started using no clutch on everything.

Unless you have foot pedals, I don't think using a clutch is going to give much of an advantage to drifting but it can have a very negative effect on some cars though.

Errr.. what?

I don't have this issue at all, my guess is you are using the hand brake, without engaging the clutch which then kills the engine.

Which is 100% normal...

#12 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 2:28:56 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Skidskid Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tardii Go to Quoted Post

Errr.. what?

I don't have this issue at all, my guess is you are using the hand brake, without engaging the clutch which then kills the engine.

Which is 100% normal...

Normal. but also ... in drifting setups you frequently need to apply power, while simultaneously applying the e-brake. You can't apply the clutch - the engine needs to be strong enough to overpower the e-brake on the wheels you need it too, while you get the desired loss of traction from over braking on the others.
 1 user liked this post.
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 3:35:30 AM(UTC)
Power with e-brake? What are we talking about? :D

I can image AWD setup, but I don't drift with that at all.
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 1:09:54 PM(UTC)
e-brake should only connect to rear wheels... At least that is the traditional set-up. I have never heard of an all-wheel e-brake/parking brake.

The only time to use the e-brake with drifting is when you also need to slow down and initiate otherwise I assume you are doing a pendulum turn, Scandinavian flick or clutch kick (dunp) to initiate.

Note: I am more of an engineer than a drifter.
GT: DeGrayOne
Unicorn Desires: Anything for Horizon
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 2:55:24 AM(UTC)
I meant some setups where makes sense to use e-brake and gas. It doesn't make sense for drifting car because you would stop wheels under power. But I think some AWD setups for rally has normal e-brake but you can use it under power because you need it. Front wheels are spinning and engine is not stalled (probably automatic clutch) and rear wheels are stopped. I am not sure if Forza has it. Still, for drifting it doesn't make any sense.
#16 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2020 8:27:49 AM(UTC)
I just tried it and it's broken. I was confused because menu in H4 was similar to H3 and now is completely different. I don't have Anna assigned but can't change anything in the same time.
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:51:17 PM(UTC)
okay so basically i have an xbox one and my bindings are shift up and down with b and x e brake a but ive noticed people can carry drifts for longer than i can is this because of the clutch ie being able to drop it to lose traction instead of slowing down w the e brake but my question is, im usually 3rd place ranked so is it necessary to use clutch in your eyes or should i be able to figure out steering angles and traction better with tuning?
#18 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 3:43:04 AM(UTC)
Drifting is always good with a clutch. Can't imagine I don't have clutch for my actions.
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:27:39 PM(UTC)

Normal. but also ... in drifting setups you frequently need to apply power, while simultaneously applying the e-brake. You can't apply the clutch - the engine needs to be strong enough to overpower the e-brake on the wheels you need it too, while you get the desired loss of traction from over braking on the others.

What?!?

Unless you are trying to drift with AWD, there is zero reason to apply e-brake and power at the same time.

Even in AWD cars when they do this, they disconnect the rear wheels from the transmission so it is then a FWD car, But Forza has no way to simulate this.

If you are e-braking while applying power, you are doing it wrong.

Edited by user Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:49:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#20 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 2:14:00 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: baritone mike Go to Quoted Post

What?!?

Unless you are trying to drift with AWD, there is zero reason to apply e-brake and power at the same time.

Even in AWD cars when they do this, they disconnect the rear wheels from the transmission so it is then a FWD car, But Forza has no way to simulate this.

If you are e-braking while applying power, you are doing it wrong.

I do everything wrong
#21 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 9:57:34 AM(UTC)
You don't need one at all if your technique is good enough. During F3/4 era I did competitions/public/random private games without a clutch and had no problems ever even while maintaining multiple 1st's on leaderboards when it was still a fun thing to do while also on controller. I didn't start using clutches really until about 2 years ago after I finally decided to get a wheel because my driving style before was really fast on entries and it wasn't conducive anymore with the added wheel rotation vs short throw with sticks but also for the type of driving I did. You can get the same results with or without you just have to approach it differently for instance the extra drag created by using more of the brake on entry for initiations means more entry speed is needed and in corner having to bring the revs back up and dumping the brake was pretty aggressive especially in the tunes vs the finesse of a clutch+wheel. Even now I get the same feel and can hop on a controller if I don't want to sit in my rig and mess around taking clutch back off and get the same results being the difference is really immersion. The only differences in noticing is if you have an eagle eye and ear you can hear people loading up engines and watch the front wheels twitch due to shorter throw for max locks and auto centering. In other words it doesn't really matter its preference tho I will say from F1-4 what I was doing wouldn't have been possible with a wheel+clutch because controllers with or without does have a massive lead in terms of consistency for some styles.

Drifting in Forza from the very start.

Notification

Icon
Error