45 Pages<<1314151617>>PrevNext
 1 user liked this post.
#351 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 2:06:49 PM(UTC)
02:25.8 Alfa GTA, tune shared but not great. Back on the controller. Should get into 24's but that my be it I think.
#352 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 2:36:49 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Count Russcular Go to Quoted Post
02:25.8 Alfa GTA, tune shared but not great. Back on the controller. Should get into 24's but that my be it I think.

Got you down! Thanks for update on controller use.

PRKid

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#353 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 5:36:03 PM(UTC)
Some close racing going on in Tier 3. Less than a second between first and sixth place. Fun stuff. Hoping to put in my first T3 victory (seems within grasp for a change), but we'll see.

On the car: Wife informed me (after being pestered for a few minutes) the stock wheels look better than the Cragars I was using, so I rejiggered the build to fit them in. Didn't really affect anything except appearance. Would love to bump the stock wheels up to 14", but the 13"s aren't hideous. Made a few more adjustments to the gearbox, moved the brake balance forward a bit, and adjusted the dampers to help re-balance the car during braking (really need more granularity in brake balance adjustments...). Ride frequency is up to 2.55 front/2.54 rear to try to get a bit more crispness to the handling.

Revisions seem to work pretty well; it still has the drive-it-with-the-throttle demeanor and the instantaneous turn-in, but most of the troublesome high-speed oversteer is gone. Can get on the throttle a good bit more aggressively, as well. Got a good number of laps in after work today and was consistently running within a half second of my current best. Couldn't string together a clean lap, though. Setup is uploaded as HLC11 SuzF 1.2b. Transmission is likely to get another pass, but unless I see something in the telemetry that screams for adjustment the rest of the setup should be complete.

On the track: Anyone figure out a good reference point for that big sweeper right before the last chicane? I've been looking and the nearest thing I can find is the lamp post on the left about 50 yards before the actual turn-in point. Doesn't make for a very consistent reference, and I'd love to not lose three out of every four laps to overrun on that corner.
#354 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 6:37:07 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Mr Pinstripes Go to Quoted Post

On the track: Anyone figure out a good reference point for that big sweeper right before the last chicane? I've been looking and the nearest thing I can find is the lamp post on the left about 50 yards before the actual turn-in point. Doesn't make for a very consistent reference, and I'd love to not lose three out of every four laps to overrun on that corner.

If you look at the fence, it seems to have an inward indent/curvature prior to the turn, that is what I use as a reference point. I take a quick glance as I approach it, then, pray/wish I take it at the right moment. I do not downshift, just, a quick tap on the brakes and then slam the throttle. Yet, to your point, I also mess up a lot.....when that happens, if I can correct mid-turn, then, I downshift.

You can check my lap video with camera set in 3rd person view, that might help visually explain my tactic.

PRKid

Edited by user Friday, January 3, 2020 6:40:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#355 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 6:58:07 AM(UTC)
Decided to compromise my "build vision" a bit to make the car more competitive, so I dropped the Race transmission in favor of the Sport (correction: Street), then spent the resulting 15ish PI (I would love to see how the game calculates that delta...) on wider tires. The rest of the setup is functionally unchanged from v1.2. Not a huge difference in feel, but I was consistently getting lower lap times so I have to believe the build's faster than the old one. Uploaded as HLC11 SuzF 2.0 (forgot the "v" this time). Back on the 14" Cragars, as well.

Current best: 2:25.557

I should be good for a high 2:24 if I can keep the car between the lines. Car's probably capable of a good bit better than that.

==

Edit to add:

True to form, I went back and tinkered with the build again. Dropped the Sport carb in favor of both the Race transmission and the 205s. Got a few laps in and was keeping pace with the previous build without the annoying moving-goal-post shift points of the Street box. Uploaded as v3.0, and it should be (fingers crossed) the final iteration of the car.

Originally Posted by: HLR PRKid Go to Quoted Post
If you look at the fence, it seems to have an inward indent/curvature prior to the turn, that is what I use as a reference point.

That works a lot better than the lamp post. Ran 17 laps today and only had one trip onto the runoff there. Being able to take that corner more aggressively probably made as big a difference in my lap times as the build change did. Thanks, man.

Still interested to hear any other markers people use on that corner.

Edited by user Sunday, January 5, 2020 5:38:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#356 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 9:11:34 AM(UTC)

Current best: 2:25.557

If you look at the fence, it seems to have an inward indent/curvature prior to the turn, that is what I use as a reference point.

That works a lot better than the lamp post. Ran 17 laps today and only had one trip onto the runoff there. Being able to take that corner more aggressively probably made as big a difference in my lap times as the build change did. Thanks, man.

......👍 Nice run!

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#357 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2020 5:43:09 PM(UTC)
My digging deep finally paid off with another PB of 2:29:5xx 😎

Considering how hard I’m digging this is likely my final entry, although I’m going to try to improve between now and closing. 😀

Kid.... your suggestion of the fence indentation as a reference point proved invaluable to me as I was able to attack the corner harder and carry speed so..... keep the suggestions coming my man! 👍
 1 user liked this post.
#358 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 1:26:59 AM(UTC)
Feel free to ignore my time - only had a dozen or so laps using wheel and racing seat set up for the first time, and think I managed one clean lap! Great fun but will be coming in last for quite a while I think... work means I won't get another chance this week so last spot it is. Not sure whether I had racing line on or off when I got the clean lap - thought I'd try and destroy my chances totally while I was at it :)

Edited by user Monday, January 6, 2020 1:29:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

15/15 = 93%
#359 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 12:02:12 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BurninAsphalt Go to Quoted Post

Kid.... your suggestion of the fence indentation as a reference point proved invaluable to me as I was able to attack the corner harder and carry speed so..... keep the suggestions coming my man! 👍

......👍 Awesome run/improvement Burnin! .....And, glad the tip helped you out. ✅

PRKid

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#360 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 2:39:11 PM(UTC)
02:25.1. Alfa GTA. 👍👍
#361 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 2:54:40 PM(UTC)

GREAT run Count! ......👍

PRKid

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#362 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:20:48 PM(UTC)

GREAT run Count! ......👍

PRKid

Thanks PRKid!
 1 user liked this post.
#363 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:49:37 PM(UTC)
I think that's all she wrote for me. Got a few laps in today, but just couldn't hold it together for a full clean lap. Got to the point where I could catch Kid's ghost coming out of the esses (and occasionally pass it), but as soon as the track turns into 90 degree turns and dragstrips he just walks away from me. I may get a few laps in tomorrow after work, but I highly doubt it.

Great run this week(ish), Tier 3. I almost forgot how much I hate Suzuka with the effort I put in trying for a win. Almost.

==

Edit to add: Just about forgot this guy:

It's an earlier build, so still on the 185s on Cragar wheels, but the spirit's there.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 7, 2020 3:52:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#364 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 4:36:56 PM(UTC)
I’m outta time here... 😳

Official time... Suzuka Full...... Alpha Romeo GTA... HLR BURNINASPHALT..... 2:29:517. 😎

What will the future hold? Good racing everyone! 👍
 3 users liked this post.
#365 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:06:16 PM(UTC)
The Vintage Sport Compact cars proved very competitive at Suzuka. The Alfa Romeo GTA was the most successful, and popular, but the Fiat 124 Spider, and Ford Lotus Cortina ran it close. A bit surprising that the Mazda Cosmo failed to feature near the top.

Welcome back PTG Benny, and XXXHilux giving us 27 drivers for the event.

HLR Bubba ran a great lap to claim his first win, after pushing his Alfa Romeo GTA to #3 on the WW leaderboard. The podium places went to HLR PRKid, and minsons who both finished with top 10 spots. Congratulations to you all.

Here is a snapshot of the final standings:

Congratulations to our winners, who all drove the Alfa Romeo GTA, and made my painting effort a lot easier:

Tier 1 Winner: HLR Bubba wins a paint for his 1965 Alfa Romeo GTA.

Tier 2 Winner: xxJ0n4Th0Nxx wins a paint for his 1965 Alfa Romeo GTA.

Tier 3 Winner: Count Russcular wins a paint for his 1965 Alfa Romeo GTA.

Tier 4 Winner: BurninAsphalt wins a paint for his 1965 Alfa Romeo GTA.

Tuners Prize: haulmarc wins a paint for his 1965 Alfa Romeo GTA.

To claim your paints, message HLR Moss to arrange it's sharing whilst you are waiting in the car to download. We don't want anyone else to grab them. They are each personalised for the winner and hopefully will provide you with a memory of the event.

For our next challenge we are off to Texas to drive some more vintage racers. We hope you enjoy it!

FM7, Series 3, Event 12
D Class (D400 Max)
COTA GP Day
Restricted to any car in the Vintage Sport Coupe Division
Event will close at 9:00pm (UK time) on Wednesday, 15th January.

Prize Liveries for Tier winners and for the Tuner whose shared setup is placed highest when driven by another driver.

Everyone welcome.
Simply post your times in this thread. But:
* Please set your times in Rivals mode
* Let us know if you play with a wheel
* Let us know if you drive Hardcore.

The Leaderboard can be found here: HLC Leaderboard

The Vintage Sport Coupe Cars
1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS
1969 Ferrari Dino 246 GT
1969 FIAT Dino 2.4 Coupe
1967 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL
1964 Aston Martin DB5
1962 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso
1961 Jaguar E-type
1960 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato
1960 Chevrolet Corvette
1959 BMW 507
1959 Jaguar Mk II 3.8
1958 MG MGA Twin-Cam
1957 Ferrari 250 California
1957 Porsche 356A Speedster
1955 Porsche 550 Spyder
1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupe
1954 Jaguar XK120 SE
1953 Maserati A6GCS/53 Pininfarina Berlinetta
1952 FIAT 8V Supersonic
1948 Ferrari 166MM Barchetta

We ran these cars at Spa in B class, but how will they perform in D class?

Edited by user Saturday, January 11, 2020 6:28:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users liked this post.
#366 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:07:14 PM(UTC)
Here are the Tiers for our Event 12. Best of Luck!

*** We have decided to go to 3 Tiers based on an inconsistency in a couple of the Tiers event-to-event participation, thus, 3 Tiers made most sense upon this review. We will revisit in the future as we see further changes. Thanks for your understanding!

PRKid

Edited by user Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:39:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DJ Saoco
 2 users liked this post.
#367 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:28:05 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: HLR Moss Go to Quoted Post

Nice running Chris. Said we should have just swapped places, would have saved me from coming bottom of the tier.
#368 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:08:29 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: hansonalanrob Go to Quoted Post

Nice running Chris. Said we should have just swapped places, would have saved me from coming bottom of the tier.

Now everyone has graduated to Tier 3..... 😀...... I welcome the challenge! Good luck to you sir! And to everyone of course..... this is a competitive class for me but I have VERY little experience on this track!
 2 users liked this post.
#369 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:48:02 PM(UTC)
Ooh, fun cars at a fun PI on a mostly-OK track. Porsche 356? Haven't raced anything with a rear engine in a while.

==

Edit to add:

Has anyone tried to do anything with that 356? Holy wah! There has to be something seriously wrong with the modeling of that car. Ultraviolent snap oversteer, both inside wheels coming up off the ground with the slightest provocation, the works. Feels like either the center of gravity is too high (and I mean "three feet above the driver's head" too high) or the track width is about 6 inches wide. Took me multiple builds to get one I could get a clean lap in. Finally did get a clean lap, and I think I have the suspension sorted out well enough that I can actually start tuning, but it's going to be a long, uphill battle to make anything useful out of it.

Edited by user Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:14:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#370 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2020 3:48:59 PM(UTC)

Has anyone tried to do anything with that 356? Holy wah! There has to be something seriously wrong with the modeling of that car.

Have not checked it out yet, though, has done so at higher a couple of higher classes. The car is certainly a little challenge to build up & tune to one's satisfaction. And, yes, I have witnessed the front-end hops.

Will build one up and see what might make sense.

On another note, last night I had a blast driving the 1959 Jaguar Mk II. Then, I was informed by Moss that it was a preferred car by the UK gangsters years back. I better learn a little more about these cars I guess. However, I now do recall (getting too old I guess) seeing such in old movies. Nonetheless, sign me up for the club....lol... 😂 The car was only missing Acceleration, it had all the rest of the elements.

PRKid
p.s. Just noticed that this car has an inherent Rear Camber of 0.51 (when you have Rear Camber setting set to ZERO!!!!

Edited by user Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:05:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#371 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 1:41:21 PM(UTC)
On another note, last night I had a blast driving the 1959 Jaguar Mk II. Then, I was informed by Moss that it was a preferred car by the UK gangsters years back. I better learn a little more about these cars I guess. However, I now do recall (getting too old I guess) seeing such in old movies. Nonetheless, sign me up for the club....lol... The car was only missing Acceleration, it had all the rest of the elements.

I always associate the Mk II with Inspector Morse. I remember my parents watching that show, and it always seemed the perfect car for a stodgy, grumpy English policeman. And yeah, it's a great car that's really fun to toss around. I took mine out for a spin (alongside my MGA) after my initial attempts with the 356 were less than successful, but ended up purposefully dirtying my laps. Didn't have the heart to abandon the Porsche that quickly, I guess. Plus I have a livery for the Mk II I really like, so am disinclined to use it for my official attempts.
#372 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 2:03:12 PM(UTC)

I always associate the Mk II with Inspector Morse. I remember my parents watching that show, and it always seemed the perfect car for a stodgy, grumpy English policeman.

....👍

DJ Saoco
 1 user liked this post.
#373 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 5:34:09 PM(UTC)

I always associate the Mk II with Inspector Morse. I remember my parents watching that show, and it always seemed the perfect car for a stodgy, grumpy English policeman.

....👍

The police had to use it to catch the criminals LOL.
#374 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 5:47:51 PM(UTC)

....👍

The police had to use it to catch the criminals LOL.

😂😂.......🚓👮‍♂️.......

DJ Saoco
 2 users liked this post.
#375 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2020 7:21:48 PM(UTC)
For one reason or another I'm more alert after work than usual, so I got some quality seat time in the 356 this evening. Decided to go with a forced induction build this time around, not to increase the power (upgraded stock motor is fine for D400) but to increase the rear weight distribution. Adding all the heavy motor bits got me down to 42% front, which isn't quite where I'd like it, but it's close enough to get the Porsche undesteer-on-throttle going. The springs are set up way stiffer than I usually run them (currently at 2.95Hz front/3.00Hz rear, if memory serves) and I'm running a bit of rake, but anything less and the car was bottoming out violently if any sort of weight got put on the suspension. That's part of the "ultraviolent oversteer" issue.

The other, bigger one is tire selection. I'm currently running Street tires at 185 width, and I'm not sure the car will abide much more than that. It gets really cranky when it gets too much grip, and nothing I've tried has sorted it out. Maybe aero would take care of it, but since I usually won't run aero on a classic car it's a moot point. Set the transmission up as a 4-speed unit, and it seems to match the track perfectly. Every corner exit has you right at the start of the powerband, and every braking point has you just coming out of it. Shift point is around 5k RPM, but I haven't watched the telemetry after adding the blower to get an exact number yet.

Overall it's a funky build with a funky setup, but it seems to work pretty well in practice. It'll never be leaderboard-capable, but I should be able to put together a 2:36ish before the end of the competition. Setup is uploaded as HLC12 CotA v1.0.

Current best: 2:38.219

== Edit to add:

Slightly adjusted setup, slightly adjusted time. New current best: 2:37.666 in v1.1.

== End edit.

It's not super-legible in the picture (or in game, for that matter), but the bumper sticker says THIS MACHINE KILLS TIRES. It's a reference to Woody Guthrie by way of Fallout: New Vegas. Thought it was appropriate given how... Overzealous the 356 can get in corners. This version's pretty quick 'n' dirty, but I plan on doing a more accurate version when I get the time.

Edited by user Saturday, January 11, 2020 6:02:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

45 Pages<<1314151617>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error