Rank: Racing Permit
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 11:05:54 PM(UTC)
So like, this is the spreadsheet for car colors:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZNJHt3TuR8toppma-ucIyZDwfW1vxp8ag9HQ5ccRSqQ/edit#gid=0

All of the numerical instructions have L M or R. So how do you actually get these colors in game? For instance I tried the McLaren Volcano Orange, and 0.05 hue is red, not orange.
It says 0.05L. What the heck does that mean? The legend says that means "steps between numbers." Wat. Another spreadsheet says that means "clicks from left middle or right." Double wat.
I feel like I'm missing something hella obvious.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
 2 users liked this post.
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 11:56:05 PM(UTC)
If you click with the d-pad you’ll notice it takes more than two clicks to go from .04 to .06. When you click over from .04 to .05, thats .05L. If you go one click down from .06 to .05, that’s .05R.

Rank: D-Class Racing License
#3 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 2:07:12 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ForbiddenBeef21 Go to Quoted Post
If you click with the d-pad you’ll notice it takes more than two clicks to go from .04 to .06. When you click over from .04 to .05, thats .05L. If you go one click down from .06 to .05, that’s .05R.

Due to the accuracy of float and the game's display accuracy (only 2 digits over the decimal point) on these numbers, the value of "0.05L", "0.05M", "0.05R" and all such are non-deterministic.

As the values perceived from the described method are uncertain (±0.005), you can simply pick 0.05 as the value for any of those "L"/"M"/"R" variants.


More Details

Edited by user Thursday, March 26, 2020 4:06:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: Racing Permit
#4 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 9:09:54 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FlashyClamp5213 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ForbiddenBeef21 Go to Quoted Post
If you click with the d-pad you’ll notice it takes more than two clicks to go from .04 to .06. When you click over from .04 to .05, thats .05L. If you go one click down from .06 to .05, that’s .05R.

Due to the accuracy of float and the game's display accuracy (only 2 digits over the decimal point) on these numbers, the value of "0.05L", "0.05M", "0.05R" and all such are non-deterministic.

As the values perceived from the described method are uncertain (±0.005), you can simply pick 0.05 as the value for any of those "L"/"M"/"R" variants.


Ohhhh okay I get it... So then why are the colors wrong? lol
McLaren's Volcano Orange isn't red, yo.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#5 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 1:01:30 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NoodleJubblies Go to Quoted Post
So then why are the colors wrong? lol
McLaren's Volcano Orange isn't red, yo.

It's highly subjective...

If you don't like it, make your own version of the "McLaren's Volcano Orange".
Rank: S-Class Racing License
#6 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 1:34:30 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NoodleJubblies Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FlashyClamp5213 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ForbiddenBeef21 Go to Quoted Post
If you click with the d-pad you’ll notice it takes more than two clicks to go from .04 to .06. When you click over from .04 to .05, thats .05L. If you go one click down from .06 to .05, that’s .05R.

Due to the accuracy of float and the game's display accuracy (only 2 digits over the decimal point) on these numbers, the value of "0.05L", "0.05M", "0.05R" and all such are non-deterministic.

As the values perceived from the described method are uncertain (±0.005), you can simply pick 0.05 as the value for any of those "L"/"M"/"R" variants.


Ohhhh okay I get it... So then why are the colors wrong? lol
McLaren's Volcano Orange isn't red, yo.


It's a special colour of brown/orange with Yellow lighting effect. You would need two colours to make it properly.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#7 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 3:42:11 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: NoodleJubblies Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FlashyClamp5213 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ForbiddenBeef21 Go to Quoted Post
If you click with the d-pad you’ll notice it takes more than two clicks to go from .04 to .06. When you click over from .04 to .05, thats .05L. If you go one click down from .06 to .05, that’s .05R.

Due to the accuracy of float and the game's display accuracy (only 2 digits over the decimal point) on these numbers, the value of "0.05L", "0.05M", "0.05R" and all such are non-deterministic.

As the values perceived from the described method are uncertain (±0.005), you can simply pick 0.05 as the value for any of those "L"/"M"/"R" variants.


Ohhhh okay I get it... So then why are the colors wrong? lol
McLaren's Volcano Orange isn't red, yo.


Remember, these colors were most likely hand-tuned by other individuals according to their own perceptions and monitor calibrations. It also seems they were largely tuned on earlier Forza games, which may have had slightly different color and lighting characteristics. So far as I know, there is no "M" setting in FH4, only "L" and "R", which indicates FH4 actually has lower color space granularity than other releases. So use the numbers on the sheet to get you in the ballpark, and then tune the color to your preferences and what looks best to you.

The other issue I see with Volcano Orange, is that it only lists a primary base color, and no secondary color. Actual Volcano Orange appears to be a directional pearlescent, which would best be emulated by either gloss two-tone or metalflake finishes. I think you will find two-tone does not allow the base color to go bright enough to do a good reproduction of Volcano Orange, so that means you would need to approximate it with metalflake. You can take one of the McLarens in the game that comes in Volcano Orange, such as the P1, and use that to adjust your color to match it the best you can. Just apply paint to the hood and tune the X and Y colors until it closely resembles the color of the body. You won't be able to get it exact, PG seems to have additional parameters in their finishes that are not exposed through the paint shop. I think you will find Volcano Orange, or at least PG's interpretation of it, is quite red.
Rank: D-Class Racing License
#8 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 4:15:23 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PlumCrazy010 Go to Quoted Post
...which indicates FH4 actually has lower color space granularity than other releases.

The HSV schema exposed to the user is merely an interface. The actual colors are stored in RGB24.
Rank: S-Class Racing License
#9 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 5:14:35 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PlumCrazy010 Go to Quoted Post


Remember, these colors were most likely hand-tuned by other individuals according to their own perceptions and monitor calibrations. It also seems they were largely tuned on earlier Forza games, which may have had slightly different color and lighting characteristics. So far as I know, there is no "M" setting in FH4, only "L" and "R", which indicates FH4 actually has lower color space granularity than other releases. So use the numbers on the sheet to get you in the ballpark, and then tune the color to your preferences and what looks best to you.

The other issue I see with Volcano Orange, is that it only lists a primary base color, and no secondary color. Actual Volcano Orange appears to be a directional pearlescent, which would best be emulated by either gloss two-tone or metalflake finishes. I think you will find two-tone does not allow the base color to go bright enough to do a good reproduction of Volcano Orange, so that means you would need to approximate it with metalflake. You can take one of the McLarens in the game that comes in Volcano Orange, such as the P1, and use that to adjust your color to match it the best you can. Just apply paint to the hood and tune the X and Y colors until it closely resembles the color of the body. You won't be able to get it exact, PG seems to have additional parameters in their finishes that are not exposed through the paint shop. I think you will find Volcano Orange, or at least PG's interpretation of it, is quite red.


I think you can get it exact with two tone.

Edited by user Saturday, November 30, 2019 1:25:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank: S-Class Racing License
#10 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 5:45:52 PM(UTC)
Ok so I have made my own version of it, and shared it as 'Volcano Orange', it's on the P1.



Rank: S-Class Racing License
 1 user liked this post.
#11 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 6:44:38 PM(UTC)
Use this one: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/t...07/page-17#post-12943500
R.I.P. 24 Heures du Mans

26/05/1923 - 17/06/2018

Notification

Icon
Error