This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
2 Pages12Prev
 1 user liked this post.
#26 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2019 11:45:57 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: EpicEvan777 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: opencamswrx Go to Quoted Post
I'll try and bust a few myths and clarify some things here.

Yes a HDR display is worth it if the game or movie supports HDR. Its actually far more beneficial than increased resolution. Here's some advantages:

1. Darker more natural and accurate blacks without as much or any 'black crush'
2. Brighter, more natural, accurate and vivid whites with less loss of detail and quality and very sleek if not any haloing.
3. More accurate, natural and vivid colors.
4. Adaptive backlight display or local zonal dimming which can control independent areas of the screen to name certain parts brighter or darker.
5. More contrast to the picture.
6. More advanced contast control over noisy SDR TV's.
7. Simply superior picture quality overall
8. Most HDR screens are in 4K so you'll get a nice bump in resolution too.
9. Far more advanced display in terms of features and options compared to an older TV.

Essentially with a HDR TV, you're paying for a far more accurate picture. You have more breathing tin before you get clipping, black crush, loss of detail with bright whites and haloing. You're also getting far more vivid and natural colors with better accuracy.

Your statement about HDR being oversaturated and having far too much contrast is completely false. They come out of the box that way because they're set up to be eye catching, colorful, bright and powerful to catch people's attention on a showroom floor amidst a whole host of other TV's. Once they're calibrated properly and professionally, they look stunning.

It is however, pointless to buy a HDR TV just for gaming. You games would look amazing and much better but that's it. Most content is in SDR. The best pictures will come from 4K HDR Blu Ray content on a decent blu-ray player.

The only other problem is the price. My flagship TV cost around $3,500 MSRP back in 2016 and its still an incredible TV now, however, you're paying a pretty penny if you want a good display. A "cheap" HDR display might not look as impressive just as a "cheap" SDR display wouldn't look great either. I'd say $1,500 is around the price point to get a decent display. I wouldn't go for a 3D or curved TV either. Not worth it for the extra money you pay.

Thanks for your thoughts Evan - I always appreciate your detailed insights.

HDR isn't for me then because I mostly play games on my TV or just watch YT videos or on occasionally, cable TV (like, literally cable-connected ancient satellite tv).

Can't spare the money either for a good HDR/4K TV so I'll be happily getting as much mileage from my Sony Bravia as I can.

Probably the better option. It's great for gaming but whether you could justify the price just for gaming is entirely up to you. I'm not sure I could.

Best bet is to wait until prices come down or do what I did and get either an ex-display or an open box return. My TV was around €3000 MSRP but I only paid €1200 as the original packaging was damaged and the retailer could no longer use the packing and therefore advertise it as new. If you can pick up a deal like that, it's definitely worth it. There's no harm going into a retailer, browsing and asking if they have any ex display or open box returns they need getting rid of.

Nahh, I'd rather not take a chance - but thanks. With electronics, I have a "buy brand new only" rule. If a retailer wants to get rid of it, chances are someone returned it or it's not performing as intended. That's been my experience here at least.

#27 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 1:29:54 AM(UTC)
I'll try and bust a few myths and clarify some things here.

Yes a HDR display is worth it if the game or movie supports HDR. Its actually far more beneficial than increased resolution. Here's some advantages:

1. Darker more natural and accurate blacks without as much or any 'black crush'
2. Brighter, more natural, accurate and vivid whites with less loss of detail and quality and very sleek if not any haloing.
3. More accurate, natural and vivid colors.
4. Adaptive backlight display or local zonal dimming which can control independent areas of the screen to name certain parts brighter or darker.
5. More contrast to the picture.
6. More advanced contast control over noisy SDR TV's.
7. Simply superior picture quality overall
8. Most HDR screens are in 4K so you'll get a nice bump in resolution too.
9. Far more advanced display in terms of features and options compared to an older TV.

Essentially with a HDR TV, you're paying for a far more accurate picture. You have more breathing tin before you get clipping, black crush, loss of detail with bright whites and haloing. You're also getting far more vivid and natural colors with better accuracy.

Your statement about HDR being oversaturated and having far too much contrast is completely false. They come out of the box that way because they're set up to be eye catching, colorful, bright and powerful to catch people's attention on a showroom floor amidst a whole host of other TV's. Once they're calibrated properly and professionally, they look stunning.

It is however, pointless to buy a HDR TV just for gaming. You games would look amazing and much better but that's it. Most content is in SDR. The best pictures will come from 4K HDR Blu Ray content on a decent blu-ray player.

The only other problem is the price. My flagship TV cost around $3,500 MSRP back in 2016 and its still an incredible TV now, however, you're paying a pretty penny if you want a good display. A "cheap" HDR display might not look as impressive just as a "cheap" SDR display wouldn't look great either. I'd say $1,500 is around the price point to get a decent display. I wouldn't go for a 3D or curved TV either. Not worth it for the extra money you pay.

Thanks for your thoughts Evan - I always appreciate your detailed insights.

HDR isn't for me then because I mostly play games on my TV or just watch YT videos or on occasionally, cable TV (like, literally cable-connected ancient satellite tv).

Can't spare the money either for a good HDR/4K TV so I'll be happily getting as much mileage from my Sony Bravia as I can.

Probably the better option. It's great for gaming but whether you could justify the price just for gaming is entirely up to you. I'm not sure I could.

Best bet is to wait until prices come down or do what I did and get either an ex-display or an open box return. My TV was around €3000 MSRP but I only paid €1200 as the original packaging was damaged and the retailer could no longer use the packing and therefore advertise it as new. If you can pick up a deal like that, it's definitely worth it. There's no harm going into a retailer, browsing and asking if they have any ex display or open box returns they need getting rid of.

Nahh, I'd rather not take a chance - but thanks. With electronics, I have a "buy brand new only" rule. If a retailer wants to get rid of it, chances are someone returned it or it's not performing as intended. That's been my experience here at least.

Yeah I agree though some dealers will sell it with a warranty for around 12 months or more. I think my Panasonic has a 3 year warranty.

There was actually the same TV at the retailer with a small scratch on the display which they were trying to get rid of for less then a grand. I wish we'd picked it up looking back.
#28 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2019 3:39:19 AM(UTC)
I'm from SE Asia - most TVs here, even brand new ones, do not have a manufacturer's warranty and are hella expensive.
#29 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 11:04:11 PM(UTC)
Update: Apparently HDR screen owners are also seeing the orange and yellow tail lights during daytime races. So, that's going to be a no then for the HDR screen!
#30 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 11:36:44 AM(UTC)
I have HDR screen - never noticed. I have heard of this and still never noticed. HDR is for more than games. 4K Streaming apps have it and 4K Blu ray. If you buy 4K without HDR (if they even make any nowadays) you are making a huge mistake. Perhaps they need to properly calibrate their TV's? They are not set right out of the box. You can also just turn off the HDR for XBox even if the TV has it. Uncheck allow HDR problem solved.

https://www.flatpanelshd...wfull&id=1481024263 Shows what you need to turn on for different TV brands.

Almost everywhere I see another TV -friends, bars, restaurants etc... Not setup right over and over.

Edited by user Saturday, November 23, 2019 11:55:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#31 Posted : Sunday, November 24, 2019 5:57:15 AM(UTC)
@opencamswrx ... not sure if you're still contemplating an HDR decision or not as this thread is rather old .... but I just ran across it. Would like to add a couple of things.

You posted above your skepticism about HDR moving forward. HDR is very definitely NOT a gimmick. It is the latest color-management technology available and will be the standard for all TVs, monitors and media content moving forward. Before long, if not already, you won't be able to buy any decent TV or monitor that won't have HDR included.

As to your question about being able to create a similar viewing experience with a well-calibrated SDR TV or monitor. No, you can't. SDR technology just simply can't create the color range or contrast depth of an HDR TV .... no matter how much tweaking you or a professional might do with the settings .... the technology simply is not there.

Whether it's a good value or a significant enough improvement to justify upgrading is a question that only the individual purchaser can make .... but the technology is definitely a huge improvement over where we were.
#32 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 1:17:21 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: PTG Wildcat Go to Quoted Post
@opencamswrx ... not sure if you're still contemplating an HDR decision or not as this thread is rather old .... but I just ran across it. Would like to add a couple of things.

You posted above your skepticism about HDR moving forward. HDR is very definitely NOT a gimmick. It is the latest color-management technology available and will be the standard for all TVs, monitors and media content moving forward. Before long, if not already, you won't be able to buy any decent TV or monitor that won't have HDR included.

As to your question about being able to create a similar viewing experience with a well-calibrated SDR TV or monitor. No, you can't. SDR technology just simply can't create the color range or contrast depth of an HDR TV .... no matter how much tweaking you or a professional might do with the settings .... the technology simply is not there.

Whether it's a good value or a significant enough improvement to justify upgrading is a question that only the individual purchaser can make .... but the technology is definitely a huge improvement over where we were.

Thanks for your valuable insights PTG - duly noted. I suppose I'm old-fashioned and just happy with what I'm using atm.

Originally Posted by: leetorts Go to Quoted Post
I have HDR screen - never noticed. I have heard of this and still never noticed. HDR is for more than games. 4K Streaming apps have it and 4K Blu ray. If you buy 4K without HDR (if they even make any nowadays) you are making a huge mistake. Perhaps they need to properly calibrate their TV's? They are not set right out of the box. You can also just turn off the HDR for XBox even if the TV has it. Uncheck allow HDR problem solved.

https://www.flatpanelshd...wfull&id=1481024263 Shows what you need to turn on for different TV brands.

Almost everywhere I see another TV -friends, bars, restaurants etc... Not setup right over and over.

My previous post was more geared toward the inconsistent color calibration and autoexposure feature in FM7 which cause the tail lights to look bright orange and yellow under specific daytime conditions only. If you were replying to an earlier post, then ignore this reply.
#33 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 12:07:35 PM(UTC)
I thought you were saying HDR caused it. Anyway it's good to know where the settings are for people that may not.

Edited by user Monday, November 25, 2019 12:20:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#34 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2019 3:00:28 PM(UTC)
It's not HDR that causes it, I get the yellow lights with it on or off. If I drastically lower my contrast i can make it red but then everything else is too dark. This also isnt a problem with all cars or at least not as noticeable. The ferrari 458 seems to be the worst that I've seen. The suns light is also affected by this, same thing though if I lower my contrast the light source looks normal but everything else is too dark. The lighting source whether it's the sun or the tail lights are over exposed. If you go into photo mode you can lower the exposure and see for yourself while on the track.
#35 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2019 11:28:59 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: im2fast4u711 Go to Quoted Post
It's not HDR that causes it, I get the yellow lights with it on or off. If I drastically lower my contrast i can make it red but then everything else is too dark. This also isnt a problem with all cars or at least not as noticeable. The ferrari 458 seems to be the worst that I've seen. The suns light is also affected by this, same thing though if I lower my contrast the light source looks normal but everything else is too dark. The lighting source whether it's the sun or the tail lights are over exposed. If you go into photo mode you can lower the exposure and see for yourself while on the track.

Precisely. Agree on everything, 100%. I did the exposure test in photo mode too, and lowering it makes the tail lights look more normal, but then everything else is a blackish mess.

yes, certain cars like the 458, 570s, LaFerrari, P1 GTR and P1, etc. are affected more. Basically, cars with bright LED tail lights are affected more - although with the daytime conditions a certain way, tail lights on older cars can also look washed out and bright orange, or even glow bright yellow. It's very unsettling - but at least, now I know it is not a SDR vs HDR issue. It's just the way they designed the game. Don't know what was wrong with FM6 tail lights and why they had to change it - those looked great in all weather and day/night conditions.

I've noticed the same problem in PCARS2 but for certain cars though - LaF being among the biggest culprits. On a more positive note, love the tail lights in AC using "default" or "sport" color filter.

FM5 also has nice tail lights. Horizon 2's tail lights are great. However, the problem isn't as prevailent in FH4 as it is in FM7. Horizon 4's lighting model is way better.

Edited by user Thursday, November 28, 2019 11:31:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#36 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2019 7:21:35 PM(UTC)
I thought being the key word. I just misread. Just like you guys misread I thought. It happens.

Edited by user Friday, November 29, 2019 7:23:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 Pages12Prev

Notification

Icon
Error