This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:25:41 PM(UTC)
Hello, everyone. I've come out of hiding to offer one last series of thoughts.

If you're an older gamer, you might find yourself agreeing with some of the things I'm about to say.

The video game industry is at a crossroads as this decade draws to a close. Gone are the days of civility, respect for the players and companies giving the consumers what they really want. They've been replaced by disrespect, microtransactions, heavy-handed promotional tactics, brand supremacy, arrogance from the companies and apathy from the consumers.

Kids are dropping out of school just to play video games full-time and are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money to do so. Epic Games sold out to China, launched an overhyped multiplayer game and then created a marketplace that has done more to discredit PC gaming than it has to improve it. Gamestop has become a shell of its former self, continuously hampered by poor customer service and terrible decisions at the executive level. The rise of PewDiePie, Ninja and other high-profile personalities has turned video game livestreaming into a glorified popularity contest.

Earlier this month, I turned 36 years old. After everything that has happened to the video game industry, perhaps it's time for me to devote my attention (and money) to other things. With that being said, I am putting down my controller and switching off the console for good.

Growth is painful. Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong.

I'm no longer a gamer.

The tour is over. I survived.

Edited by user Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:41:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Roger Murtaugh said it best...

Notification

Icon
Error