74 Pages<<4041424344>>PrevNext
#1026 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 8:07:57 AM(UTC)
Something I just discovered is that the Trailcat ( which is equipped with a Hellcat engine ) in game sounds great yet all the Hellcats sound terrible? What's that about? The Trailcat, Hellcat and Demon are all equipped with basically the same stuff ( Demon being the outlier because it's got a bit more power but still the same engine ). Where was QA at on this one? Where was QA on all the car sound design?
#1027 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 10:37:13 AM(UTC)
I will say that the new Mini cars sound good so... hrm. Hafta wait 'n see maybe. Idk. I haven't totally lost faith I guess.
 3 users liked this post.
#1028 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 12:20:15 PM(UTC)
All skyline GTR’s sound wrong.
They need to go back to old forza’s for sound.
I wondered why they got it so wrong and I watched the video on YouTube and saw what car they actually used.
An R33 skyline GTS-t which although similar engine sounds different
 1 user liked this post.
#1029 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:25:07 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: B1G A1EX Go to Quoted Post
I wondered why they got it so wrong and I watched the video on YouTube and saw what car they actually used.

Yep that explains it. I thought they sounded like the GTS-T. For shame.
 2 users liked this post.
#1030 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:47:41 PM(UTC)
RB26 DETT and RB25DET have considerably different tones.
 1 user liked this post.
#1031 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 2:04:13 AM(UTC)

Didn't the GTS-T use the RB25 instead of the 26? but still, how did they get that sound out of that
 2 users liked this post.
#1032 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 11:42:38 AM(UTC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJeUZeE23VA

''We are aware that every car has different engine sound."

- Playground Games, 2019.

EDIT:

Guys, you can stop April's fools jokes, its May now.

Edited by user Friday, May 10, 2019 11:44:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

6 users liked this post.
#1033 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 12:03:22 PM(UTC)
I have no experience and knowledge in audio engineering so I can't judge how much effort you put into car sounds we currently have in game but I have common sense, internet and hearing. If you have internet you can go to so called ''YouTube" page where people upload all kinds of **** among which you can also find vast recordings of engine sounds of probably every car ever made. Now, you might think OK, but that recordings can't be used as actual samples for in-game engine sounds, and you might be right, but then please explain to me how can guys like ACFAN (he is doing sound modes for Assetto Corsa) create sound mod like this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8-FjK0J0Mg ) using only samples from the youtube videos? You can at least use Youtube to search car which you are releasing by its name and watch video or two so you can get a glimpse how it should sound. For example, you released with latest patch MC12 and Apollo IE. When I go to youtube and I search for ''Maserati MC12 Corsa" this video is on top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-aUPAFyP78, and If you take a minute or two and actually play the video you will see that released MC12 in-game sounds nothing like the real thing. Then, you can search for "Apollo IE'' and top video is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-wi6dZQCDw. By watching the video you will realize that the one from video has nothing in common, regarding engine noise, with the one you released in-game.

Edited by user Friday, May 10, 2019 3:10:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1034 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 12:36:58 PM(UTC)

This is just really frustrating, R32 sounds so wrong. We have tons and tons of fresh new engine banks for FM7 but it looks like they won't be porting them over.
 3 users liked this post.
#1035 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 12:49:48 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: Clonedemned Go to Quoted Post
I have no experience and knowledge in audio engineering so I can't judge how much effort you put into car sounds we currently have in game but I have common sense, internet and hearing. If you have internet you can go to so called ''YouTube" page where people upload all kinds of **** among which you can also find vast recordings of engine sounds of probably every car ever made. Now, you might think OK, but that recordings can't be used as actual samples for in-game engine sounds, and you might be right, but then please explain to me how can guys like ACFAN (he is doing sound modes for Assetto Corsa) create sound mod like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8-FjK0J0Mg) by using only samples from the youtube videos? You can at least use Youtube to search car which you are releasing by its name and watch video or two so you can get a glimpse how it should sound. For example, you released with latest patch MC12 and Apollo IE. When I go to youtube and I search for ''Maserati MC12 Corsa" this video is on top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-aUPAFyP78, and If you take a minute or two and actually play the video you will see that released MC12 in-game sounds nothing like the real thing. Then, you can search for "Apollo IE'' and top video is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-wi6dZQCDw. By watching the video you will realize that the one from video has nothing in common, regarding engine noise, with the one you released in-game.

You're right, anyone with common sense knows that most of the cars ingame sound like **** . They must be lazy because there are many cars with the same sound, as if all V8s, V10s and V12s are the same, but obviously it's not the case!

Also in this thing called "YouTube" you can find recordings of previous games, where the cars, like all Vipers, sounded way better than now. What happened? They didn't want to take too much space into game files so they could put avatar animations, clothes and some other useless things. The video is good, the audio is poor. So if you like cars and specially car sounds (because reality is quite interesting), then we'll have to go to Gran Turismo or other racing games, not necessarily simulators, that actually are made by companies that care about loyalty and respect about the cars (that should be the focus on a game that should consist on... racing... with cars).

It's a real shame, this game brought many nice cars and all, but they actually don't care if you're a car enthusiast.

"Why so much hate?" some may ask. It's not hate, it's disappointment. We pay for a game that is more expensive but worse than the previous ones, it comes with LOTS of bugs, missing features, and the cars don't even sound right. [Mod Edit - Abbreviated profanity, profanity and profanity that is disguised but still alludes to the words are not permitted - D]

Edited by user Sunday, May 12, 2019 9:12:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#1036 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 2:23:06 PM(UTC)
BTW Agera RS is not exactly fixed...that darn whine is still there after a while, quieter though but still present.
#1037 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2019 2:35:37 PM(UTC)

We want it to sound like this >> R33 GT-R
 11 users liked this post.
#1038 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 12:20:20 AM(UTC)
Dear Mr. Strachan,

I have the utmost respect for the work you've done for the Horizon games. I've been particularly impressed with the car audio work your team has done for the first three horizon games.

After watching a recently published interview by MotoGamesTV on YT, in which you shared insights into how your team records and reproduces car sounds in the game, I feel that there's a fair amount of 'disconnect' between what you claim in the interview and what is actually in the game. For instance:

* You claim that every car has a distinct sound recreated in the game, which isn't true. There is sample sharing going on all over the place with existing and DLC cars.
* You mentioned that you record car sounds with strategically placed mics and then using your granular system reproduce the frequencies, paying particular attention to low end. This isn't true either - majority of cars in the game sound flat and lack the proper depth, volume, bass and low end to be specific. The recent R8 sound update is an exception though, I think the low-end on that is quite nice.
* The interview showed you guys recording an older Viper, an RT10 I believe it was and applying the sample to the newer Vipers in the game such as the latest GTS and calling it an accurate sample. Please play your past FH games or Fm7 - that is not the correct sample.
* You also made a claim that upgraded sounds are recorded and recreated in the game, which again, is not the case at all. At most, the sound becomes more high-pitched and revs go higher or blow-off valve sounds a bit different. There's no change int he exhaust's character, which is the first thing to look out for after upgrading the engine.
* On the upside cars like the AMG A45 sound brilliant. Why can't your team give the same amount of attention to detail to the other cars?
* There were quite a few more claims which I can't remember off the top of my head which were made but are not actually in the game

You do have a good product on your hands, but coming from a bit of a "car background" myself, I do not believe the car sounds to be accurate or pleasing to the ear across the board. the Apollo Intensa from the new update has the old LaFerrari sound from the game. The game does not have unique sounds and still lacks low end on exhaust sound. Your team did a great job with car sounds in previous three games - I cannot understand why sounds have been degraded so much? The Cinque roadster and Viper GTS had a superb sound in previous games - how did those get ruined?

Looking forward to an insightful response from someone in the team.

Kind regards

Edited by user Saturday, May 11, 2019 6:06:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user liked this post.
#1039 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:13:53 AM(UTC)
Is that you Speedster?;)
#1040 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 8:32:56 PM(UTC)
I auditioned the MC12 corsa and the Apollo ie from real life to in game. I noticed that the engine note is spot on for both which is good. I also noticed that they sound similar in the game and in real life being naturally aspirated v12’s with about the same redline.

The stream made sense, it seems like you guys recorded the wrong viper judging from the feedback, but the process of going from in real life to in game is spot on. I guess you know that you recorded the wrong viper. The senna sounds spot on.

If anything this shed light on how hard it is to get EVERY LITTLE DETAIL spot on in video games. Especially with high performance cars like the Apollo ie and the MC12 corsa. You got the direct sound from the engine right, but there’s more stuff going on with the exhaust/air compressor that’s missing.

I know a V4 V6 V8 and V10 when I hear it, they all sound similar, but I’ve never been able to identify a v12. This game has helped me identify a v12 a little and I noticed that they sound similar too.

It seems I’m the only one trying to look at things through your eyes here and everything makes sense to me. I support what you’re doing. If anything this has just shed light on how hard it is to replicate car sounds exactly, like everything about the sounds. I don’t think there’s ever been a video game that got it all right. This sounds right to me, as someone who has a degree in audio engineering myself. I think the new engine is a push in the right direction. Thanks for showing us the process of going from real life to in game. I can see t10 I can see! Good job!

Regards
 1 user liked this post.
#1041 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 12:16:29 AM(UTC)
I know I'm repeating myself, but all I want for Christmas is that generic "Racing V12" conversion engine to not sound like a 80's arcade game. As in, the Ferrari F50 GT one that you can transplant into the Aston Martins, the Ferraris, the Lamborghinis, the Pagani Zonda R, Masarati MC12 FE, etc.
#1042 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 8:18:27 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: MikeJoe1990 Go to Quoted Post
I auditioned the MC12 corsa and the Apollo ie from real life to in game. I noticed that the engine note is spot on for both which is good. I also noticed that they sound similar in the game and in real life being naturally aspirated v12’s with about the same redline.

The stream made sense, it seems like you guys recorded the wrong viper judging from the feedback, but the process of going from in real life to in game is spot on. I guess you know that you recorded the wrong viper. The senna sounds spot on.

If anything this shed light on how hard it is to get EVERY LITTLE DETAIL spot on in video games. Especially with high performance cars like the Apollo ie and the MC12 corsa. You got the direct sound from the engine right, but there’s more stuff going on with the exhaust/air compressor that’s missing.

I know a V4 V6 V8 and V10 when I hear it, they all sound similar, but I’ve never been able to identify a v12. This game has helped me identify a v12 a little and I noticed that they sound similar too.

It seems I’m the only one trying to look at things through your eyes here and everything makes sense to me. I support what you’re doing. If anything this has just shed light on how hard it is to replicate car sounds exactly, like everything about the sounds. I don’t think there’s ever been a video game that got it all right. This sounds right to me, as someone who has a degree in audio engineering myself. I think the new engine is a push in the right direction. Thanks for showing us the process of going from real life to in game. I can see t10 I can see! Good job!

Regards

So you're telling me that with that degree that you can't hear how far off the stereo imaging and EQ curve of the engine sounds is? I've been an audio engineer for a decade bud 'n I can tell you without a doubt that these cars are engineered horribly for the most part. Why else do I have to do things like set a -18db high shelf at 200hz in order to make the low end feel right? My sub will not move ( except for a few select cars ) without doing this. Did the audio team put you up to this? Is Strachan bringing in more pretengineers to validate their snowflake excuses? I think you better re-evaluate your career path pal cos you and the rest of this audio team are clearly out of your league.
#1043 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:44:48 AM(UTC)

So all cars with NA v12 should sound very similar?

Wow...

#1044 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 5:27:44 PM(UTC)

Wow...

Just like a 4,6,8, and 10 cylinder engine, there’s a distinct sound that makes a 12 cylinder engine a 12 cylinder engine.
#1045 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2019 11:19:06 PM(UTC)

Wow...

Just like a 4,6,8, and 10 cylinder engine, there’s a distinct sound that makes a 12 cylinder engine a 12 cylinder engine.

I think he meant that just because it's an NA V12 and they have a distinct sound should not be an excuse for PG to reuse the car sound across cars
#1046 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 11:33:57 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FM sheep Go to Quoted Post

Wow...

I think he meant that just because it's an NA V12 and they have a distinct sound should not be an excuse for PG to reuse the car sound across cars

They all sound similar irl too if you get over the fact that they’re NA V12’s. Lamborghini aventadors, Mclaren F1’s, Laferrari’s, the MC12 corsa, the Zonda R, the Apollo ie. I listened to them all after looking into these sounds and they all sound similar; AND I don’t think I was the only one who thought the aventador sounded like the Enzo when it first came out. The SV sounds like a Mclaren F1. I love NA V12’s too, but they all have a distinct characteristic that makes them sound alike. It’s just like the other cylinder configurations.
#1047 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 12:23:46 PM(UTC)
I don't really care much about the exhaust tones. I just want the engineering to be fixed so all cars are in line with the R8 update that we got a while back. I want this so that it's not so jarring when I get out of my R8 and into something else that should be just as loud, or louder. I want all cars to have the depth/dynamic range and width that the R8 has. That's it.
#1048 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 1:32:42 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: FM sheep Go to Quoted Post

Wow...

They all sound similar irl too if you get over the fact that they’re NA V12’s. Lamborghini aventadors, Mclaren F1’s, Laferrari’s, the MC12 corsa, the Zonda R, the Apollo ie. I listened to them all after looking into these sounds and they all sound similar; AND I don’t think I was the only one who thought the aventador sounded like the Enzo when it first came out. The SV sounds like a Mclaren F1. I love NA V12’s too, but they all have a distinct characteristic that makes them sound alike. It’s just like the other cylinder configurations.

That may be, but the devil's in the details. They can pay so much attention to the visual details yet they can't do the same in the audio dept? That's just lazy imho. For a game that looks this good and is so visually immersive to sound as bad as it does is just not cool. I want nothing more than for PG and T10 to absolutely dominate the racing game market. Their visuals and physics are 2nd to none in this arena ( I know there are sims that feel better, but these aren't full sims. They're simcade ) and I want the audio to follow suit. Nothing more, nothing less. For most of us this is the closest we'll get to cruising around in Lambos 'n Ferraris so we want it to be fully immersive. The audio problems break that immersion. To me it's game breaking, but that's just like my opinion man. I love these games, but the audio engineering is just killing it for me. They just need to stop trying to engineer these like EDM music, and start engineering them like movies. DYNAMIC RANGE IS KING!
#1049 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 10:04:05 PM(UTC)
Agreed - I too would like every high powered car in the game to sound exciting, edgy and visceral like it does IRL. I could drive that R8 or LaF, for example, all day long.

Something interested I noticed about the Huracan yesterday - when you drive it, it has a boring and flat note, but when you challenge an AI Huracan to a head-to-head, it has that same beautiful sound form Horizon 2 with all the raw engine notes and gurgles.
#1050 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 10:13:54 PM(UTC)

Similar, but not exact. let's just go back and talk about the sound in game, cause they messed that up real hard. if you like talking about the distinct characteristic of engines, no they don't care about that in the game. They got a V6 that sounds like an I6 (Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio), V6 with V8 sound (Hoonictruck), A V8 sound like a V6 (Maserati GT)

74 Pages<<4041424344>>PrevNext

Notification

Icon
Error