This site uses cookies for analytics and personalized content. By continuing to browse this site, you agree to this use. Learn more
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 4:32:56 PM(UTC)
I searched but didn't see an answer to this question.

My single biggest problem playing the game is my left thumb. I can't seem to get a consistent position where I move the left joystick right and left to steer precisely. I've turned off all assists and I'm finding my weakness is tighter curves, especially to the left. Unlike a real steering wheel, I can't seem to move the joystick properly to consistently turn and when I readjust mid-turn I lose speed. I'm finding then the car is not turning it's because I've pulled the joystick a little offline from left to right, my adjustments are unsettling the car. It can be very bad when I turn into corners.

Online I've seen images of a specialized Forza controller that locks the left joystick to only move left or right. Was it a promotional item? Does it exist?

Is there any accessory available that I can add or remove to lock the left joystick so that it only moves left and right?
The gamer tag is accurate. It's how I've made a living for about 30 years, however I wish was racing cars instead. Sigh
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 5:59:09 PM(UTC)
https://www.google.com/a...ing-wheel-16541514/amp/

This is the closest solution I could find 😀
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 7:32:03 PM(UTC)
The elite controllers offer a few different joystick shapes and lengths. It’s a lot to pay for a slight improvement IMO.

You can try increasing your outer deadzones for the joysticks, it might help some just try to stay around 20 you don’t want to eat up to much of your controller free travel.
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 7:56:28 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: GTR SPEARMAN Go to Quoted Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.slashgear.com/xbox-one-controller-mod-adds-a-3d-printed-mini-steering-wheel-16541514/amp/

This is the closest solution I could find 😀

Pretty cool! However, I don't know if I can justify the cost of a 3D printer for that one task. Sigh
The gamer tag is accurate. It's how I've made a living for about 30 years, however I wish was racing cars instead. Sigh
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 7:58:16 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: markvii1 Go to Quoted Post
The elite controllers offer a few different joystick shapes and lengths. It’s a lot to pay for a slight improvement IMO.

You can try increasing your outer deadzones for the joysticks, it might help some just try to stay around 20 you don’t want to eat up to much of your controller-free travel.

Actually, I've been using an Elite controller with the shorter sticks to reduce the travel, however, you have a good idea. Maybe I should do the opposite. Reduce the outer dead zone and counter it with a longer joystick. Thanks
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 10:47:20 PM(UTC)
Whereabouts in the world are you?
#7 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 5:31:35 AM(UTC)
The longer sticks on the elite do help with smooth inputs but at a cost. If you need to counter steer quickly (especially with sim steering) the longer time it takes to attempt to correct the car can lose you either more time or send you into a spin. I do however run all my deadlines at zero and 100. Reducing the outer dead zone could potentially help.

Personally I just run the shortest analogue sticks that came with the controller.

Edited by user Monday, October 22, 2018 5:34:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#8 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 10:16:33 AM(UTC)
I built this and it was awesome, but the thing destroys controller joysticks...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:753739

I'm working on designing a new one. When I'm done i can probably just mail you one for a few bucks.
#9 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 1:59:53 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: BBTD MitchyK7 Go to Quoted Post

Does it matter? I'm in Canada on the west coast
#10 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 2:06:01 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: GTR SPEARMAN Go to Quoted Post
The longer sticks on the elite do help with smooth inputs but at a cost. If you need to counter steer quickly (especially with sim steering) the longer time it takes to attempt to correct the car can lose you either more time or send you into a spin. I do however run all my deadlines at zero and 100. Reducing the outer dead zone could potentially help.

Personally I just run the shortest analogue sticks that came with the controller.

I felt the same way but at this point, I'm looking for improvements. At the first Forza RC championship this year I found out most top drivers run in Chase view. I had been running in Cockpit. I know there are some top drivers that don't run in Chase, however, it seems to give an advantage to see the entire track and curve.

I've switched and it's been many months of pain, however, I'm now faster and more consistent than I ever was in Cockpit view. So now I'm looking for additional improvements to get even better.

Cheers

Edited by user Monday, October 22, 2018 2:11:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:58:41 AM(UTC)
#12 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 12:24:32 PM(UTC)
I'm considering all the links sent however I did try decreasing the steering deadzone from 0 to 100 to 0 to 80. My brain is still adjusting a bit, however, I'm definitely more precise on my line through the corners on FM7 and FH4. I tried both the long and short joysticks, both worked well so stayed with the short one.

I think with a bit more tweaking and practice, it's definitely a better way for me to do it, however, I'd like like to find a hardware option that would be even better.

Thanks for the help!
 1 user liked this post.
#13 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 12:29:44 AM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: WritesCode4Food Go to Quoted Post

It doesn't matter no. I was merely going to suggest that I or one of the other community members with a 3D printer may print out something you thought would help and post it to you?
I recently had a stroke and the more help you get the easier life is, so i was just being helpful!
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2018 8:42:54 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: WritesCode4Food Go to Quoted Post

It doesn't matter no. I was merely going to suggest that I or one of the other community members with a 3D printer may print out something you thought would help and post it to you?
I recently had a stroke and the more help you get the easier life is, so i was just being helpful!

Cheers, I do appreciate the thought.
#15 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2018 7:52:55 AM(UTC)
Have a look on thingiverse or yeggi, they are full of 3D prints of millions of things.
Also Microsoft Elite controller with shorter/longer thumbsticks.
 1 user liked this post.
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 1:41:15 PM(UTC)
Well, I've now set my dead zone on the steering to 1 inside and 85 outside. I might tweak it more as I get used to it, however it has made a HUGE difference. I'm now getting into the top 3 more consistently in Ghost events in multi-player. My times in the rival leader boards are climbing and even more amazing, last night in some multiplayer racing I was about a second slower than some eSports drivers in a few events.

I'm truly enjoying driving in this game again.

Notification

Icon
Error