Xbox Series X First Party Titles

So it appears that first party titles for the Series X will also launch on the Xbox One and X (besides PC), for the first year or two. What do you think about that decision?

I think it’s quite a pro consumer move from Microsoft and existing owners of the Xbox One family of consoles will quite like it. I’m a little concerned that accommodating for the previous gen of consoles will hold back the Series X versions though.

https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/

I think this move will be a Disaster as it means Games will be continually Held back and will remain thoroughly Unable to meet their Full Potential on the more Powerful PC and Xbox Series X Systems as they will still need to fit within the Ridiculously low capability Restrictions of the Base Xbox One Hardware, which was shockingly underpowered even at launch, and will only hold Games back even more in Future as it becomes Increasingly Elderly! meaning, again, the massive Power Advantages of PC and Series X will become Moot, making a Series X a colossal waste of Money as the Games just wont be taking any advantage of it!

Why spend £800 on a System and still be Beholden to the Limitations of a £40 “Refurbished” base Xbox One? it doesn’t make any Financial sense what so ever I am afraid.

Support for Xbox One should be dropped the Second Series X is launched IMO so its Elderly and underpowered Hardware is no longer Holding Games back from Reaching their full Potential on Series X and more Importantly, on the PC!

Luckily for you, you’re switching to PS so it won’t be a problem.

I think only X will be part of forward compatibility. I can’t image slow base hardware to do anything :smiley:

1 Like

Good Point Kranktus, but it still will be a Problem, as it means that Multiplatform Titles will also very likely still be Developed with Base Xbox One in Mind, which Means the PC Versions will still be held Back!

PC Games being held back by Console Limitations is Something I am sick and tired of Seeing, I was so looking forward to Series X and PSV being, basically, “Feature locked” Small Form Factor “Mid Range” Gaming PC’s, as it would Mean the multiplatform Publishers and Developers would be able to develop Purely for the PC, which would mean the PC Versions would no longer Be held Back by Increasingly Archaic and Incapable Console Hardware, but now it looks like they are Still going to be Held Back by the Limitations of the Base Xbox One, meaning, as always, PC’s will be barely using 20% of their Power and Abilities because the Games will be held back so far by the Limitations of the Base Xbox One System, and that sucks for People on Xbox and on PC in Equal Measure!

I am , basically sick and Tired of seeing PC Games being held back by the Myriad Limitations of Xbox One Base with Tiny Maps/ Levels, Hardly any Enemies on Screen, Brain Dead AI, and all the other issues that come from the Games having to fit inside the Miniscule SD-RAM Levels and near Non Existent Processing Power of the Base Xbox One System. I was hoping Series X being a Mid Range Gaming PC pretending to be a Console would change that, but now it looks like those Hopes have been Dashed, and that has Properly ticked Me off!

I still, even though I am changing Factions, also think however that it is a Massive shame for Xbox Series X Investors that all that Power they are going to be paying through the Nose for (£600-800 may be cheap in the PC World, but it is Mindblowingly Expensive for a Console!) is going to go, basically, to Waste, it Means they are Paying for an advantage that they wont get to use, and that, IMO, absolutely Sucks for them, and to be honest, that makes Me feel more than a bit Sad for them.

I may be Jumping Ship, but I don’t want to see the People who are Staying on the Ship suffer because their New System cannot use all of its Power because Corporate, in the Name of Greed, has mandated that Games are held Back by having to fit into the limitations of the Increasingly Incapable Xbox One Base Hardware. It means they are still going to have top put up with 30 Frames Per Second Caps, Myopic FOV Settings, TINY Maps/Levels, Next to No Enemies/Rivals on Screen, Minimal Environment Interactivity, Sub-Low to Medium Texture Settings, and all the other issues that come with the Games being Developed and Programmed to fit into vastly Outdated and Underpowered Hardware, sure, Series X may be able to Run them 8K rather than the 720/900P of the Base Xbox One, but, what’s the Point when You still have to suffer from all the other Limitations?

It means Worse Games, and, well, Poor, Underwhelming Games are a Crushing Disappointment no matter What Platform You are on, and seeing another Gamer Suffer because the Games on their System, basically, are not very good because they also have to support an Elderly and Underpowered Ancestor System as well, should Upset any dedicated Gamer, no matter what Platform they might be Using. A Sony user who cannot feel Sorry for an Xbox User who is getting bad Games is not a Gamer, they are a Child, engaged in Playground Wars.

I am a Gamer, so when Games are Bad, no matter if they are PC, PS or Xbox Games, I feel bad for the People who are getting the Sub-Par Experience and have wasted their Money.

literally wont happen, the xbox 360 port of FH2 was basically a tinier, LQ reskin of FH1 while the xone version was a whole different game, its gonna be the same, FH5 will be a fh4 reskin on xone

Like a PC, games can run on older computers by disabling or lowering certain settings. That is what they will do. Not hard to understand, it does not mean they need to make an entirely different game. I doubt they would do that again. It in no way means games will be held back. They will just disable certain things to make it run on the older consoles. On the newer consoles more things will be enabled. Stop jumping to unfounded conclusions.

I could definitely see the difference in GPU power not being a massive issue, graphic options are somewhat “easy” to tailor and resolution and frame rate can be lowered. It’s the CPU side of things where I think the primary issue could be. As far as I know, even on PC there aren’t really any options to take the load off a CPU.

If the one studio is going to develop all versions of those games, I don’t think the maximum potential will be reached. It’s simply too much work, maybe other studios will help with the Xbox One versions and possibly the PC version.

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,” Booty explains. “We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

I don’t read this as different versions of the same game. I read this as it is one game that will have more bells and whistles enabled the better the hardware you are using. I would not get caught up in this until we know more. If I read this correct I like the idea. My One X isn’t even a year old (almost) and it would be great not to have to buy a new console this holiday season. Don’t forget the it takes developers time to make the most of new console anyway. Usually several years. Just compare FM5 to 6 or 7.

Like you said it’s nothing to get too excited about, I just find the technical side of this stuff interesting and it’s the first time I know of a strategy like this happening with first party titles. I find it particularly interesting to see how 343 will approach all the different versions with Infinite.

I think it’s fair to note Turn 10 have always been a bit hamstrung with their release cycle though, but yeah there’s always improvements to be made with time in a console gen.