Why rain & limited visibility in general?

It’s been said by others so I’m only adding my voice to the multitudes…

Driving in the rain or at night time can greatly change your driving experience. Once you’ve grown familiar with a particular stretch of tarmac, reducing the available traction or visibility can make it feel new again, which improves the longevity and enjoyment of the game.

Can we all agree that if there’s some dense fog then it’ll make for some truly gnarly driving?

I have never been to a real racing event.
What do they do if it starts raining in the middle of an endurance race?
Do they keep driving or wait for the rain to stop like any other sport?

In the 24 Hours of Lemons endurance races, if it starts raining the race continues. It is only stopped if there is lightning, for the sakes of the corner workers standing in rather exposed metal boxes …

TTFN
Toni

Are you talking 24 Hours of Le Mans or the 24 Hours of LeMons? Both do exist now. (https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/)

Even without lightning, they will put an endurance race under safety car conditions or red flag it if the rain gets too bad.

The most recent and extreme example of that was the FIAWEC 6 Hours of Fuji last year. The race ran a total of 16 laps under safety car with a two-hour red flag period in the middle. Audi started on pole but had to pit under safety car, handing the win to Toyota when the final red flag was flown. A new rule for this year for the FIAWEC is the race will only count if at least two laps are run under green flag conditions.

They will also run under safety car if visibility gets too poor on a high-speed circuit.

It just adds a whole new dynamic to the game. I think it’s really cool how the weather is dynamic and you can actually see the clouds moving in and start to develop. It’s going to make for a very cool looking game.

Driving at night, in the rain…It completely changes the racing experience. Especially in a Forza Motorsport title…can’t wait to finally have these features in the series.

OH NO THIS ISN’T HAPPENING. After ten years of asking for rain and a day/night cycle, finally T10/PG delivers… And people complain about the addition of rain! (I know, people who are complaining now weren’t asking for those features before they were introduced, but still… You must admit, it’s frustrating when you see it this way)

Anyways, atmospheric events (rain, fog, etc.) are a part of driving in real life. Driving on rain, especially if certain physical phenomena (like hydroplaning) are simulated, adds to the challenge. It is not on a dry surface that skills are tested to their limit, after all! Some of the most important and celebrated racing events in history see dramatic shifts in weather and the sun setting and rising again during the course of the race (like the 24h of Le Mans), and some of the most epic battles in the history of motorsports were fought in the rain.

But of course, if you don’t like driving on rain at night (and trust me, I understand you), I’m quite sure you can turn off both rain and the day/night cycle.

1 Like

I’m quite sure you can’t.

Weather/time of day can probably only be overriden during multiplayer.

Because people were asking for it for a long time and now we got it. Just enjoy it cos its gonna be there. Or get the 360 version if you dont want it.

1 Like

Its called realism and you should look into it. Or do you never drive when its raining, foggy, snowing, etc? They need to be there as they are in real life, otherwise the immersion factor drops off and its a step backwards to the old days where they couldn’t afford the processing power to do it.

1 Like

It’s like how it’s easier to turn on driver aids but folks like me always turn them off. Racing in rain is a totally different experience from doing it dry, and it requires more skill. You might be as fast as me in dry weather but half as fast in the rain, which would mean I’m more skilled than you. If you flee from racing in the rain, you will remain less skilled.