Why no super group?

Well there is this:

http://forums.forza.net/turn10_postst42463_Community-Collaborations.aspx

But it seems to be more for paints and tunes right now. Maybe get something going in there?

The combination of the storefront, no gifting, no AH, and no SF basically killed the TM garages, but that’s a different conversation…

What you’ll need to make it work is:

• Some kind of private forum to post and discuss tunes.
  • Tuners that have an open mind to leaving new things.
  • Multible drivers of different skill level and or driving styles.
  • Someone dedicated to running the forums and keeping thing organized.

Add these if you want a successful classic style of TM garage.
-Promo/photo guy

• painters
  • tuners that will work the time around the painters vision of what the car should look like.
  • lots of free time!
2 Likes

That’s me.

Anyways, I’ve been a part of and ran my own garages before. Nativ Tuning comes to mind.

I was just drunk last night and thought why isn’t there a super group.

Honestly that kind of commitment isn’t worth it anymore without any features to help support the garages.

It could still be done, it would just take a lot more effort then it did before. Back in the day I could just gift you a car with the tune already on it and ask you to look it over and test it out. This made it simple and effective especially especially if you were in a different time zone. Now I have to right it down or wait for you to be on at the same time as me in order to chat with you in a party… :-/

1 Like

Oh, the promo guys were super important as well. There photos and promos could really make or break your release.

2 Likes

Yup, I miss those days.

Sometimes I daydream about taking over Dan’s position as Creative Director and redirecting the game.

The one time I see a way to make something better I don’t have the skills or money to make it happen. Plus Microsoft wouldn’t allow that kind of competition on their system. Damn…

I wasn’t around for the Good O’l Days but I’d argue that the Community Tuned Cuda fit the bill in FM5. A bunch of forum tuners beating on the same car all week long to get it ready for the next venue in the SimRacers league. It was just a shame that it was a league build and not a proper A700 PI. It really demonstrated how much things needed to change for each track and how personal a tune really was. To be honest it got a little exhausting midway though the V8 Super Car series but is still one of my fondest moments from FM5.

Crash

I just got a league idea.

Every race you switch the PI by a little bit to keep it fresh and exciting.

You have to stay in the same car obviously.

idk how many people would be interested though

Your comment is ridiculous.

FM.net is a big super group …kind of …when everyone isnt arguing.

1 Like

without turning this into a wishlist, it would be good if at the end of the league you got a point bonus depending on how unusual a car you used.

Coming up with ideas is not a wishlist. I think there is a bit of a difference. When a group of people are collaborating ideas to come up with something, it shouldn’t be classified as a wish list.

I don’t know how you would implement them points, but rewards for picking an unusual car for the season is a nice idea.

Super group is a nice idea how ever there is way too much driver / tuner preference difference.

For example, There is one really good and well known driver, who uses and shares his tunes. But in my opinion out of 20 cars he has tuned, maybe 1 is good and the 19 others are borderline drivable.

There is another guy, He’s just about as fast as the first example, doesn’t share his tunes too much, but I have had few of his tunes to try and drive. the tunes are simply uncontrollable.

If me and these to tuners would build a same car, and then take a small hotlap session, I would be last by at least 1.5 sec gap to the one who had 2nd fastest lap, and possibly even more.

How ever if I would hotlap all of those tunes, let’s say I give 15minutes for my car, and 1 hour to other tuners cars, just so I could get more used to those tunes. My tune would be 2-3 seconds ahead of their tunes. just because it drives like I expect it to drive, and isn’t a loose cannon like both of the cars by the two other tuners.

Then let’s drop 1 more tuner in to the group. He is again rather notorious tuner, but as a driver much slower than I am. I step in to his tune, and I can bet that within 3-5 laps, I will beat all of the tunes I tested earlier, even my own tune.

Then the third guy is the ideal tuner for the super group. If I was making a super group I would want tuners that accept criticism and is open minded about tweaking the tune.

The idea is to make a really solid tune for the average driver. The one that will be trying to follow close to the racing line, not some top driver with a weird line.

This is where I disagree. I always try to make the car as fast as possible. Sometimes that might mean making a sacrifice but if it gets me up there then it’s worth it. If you never go out of your comfort zone then you’ll never progress. And anyone who says that they’re not interested in their outright pace is lying :wink: On FM3 I was given a tune by TPR for the R1 Porsche Spyder, I hated it, but I adapted. The best tuners I find are the ones that share their optimised setups and explain the methods in their madness.

I’d tune the most optimised car possible for a few tracks where it runs well on, and explain what it does and if any sacrifices are made. You’re most likely not going to drive the same car on Daytona and Sonoma, so if you have a nice Daytona tune and someone says “Oh I ran it on Sonoma, the twisty elevation changes killed it,” that’s not the feedback you’re looking for.

What I’m getting at is I like sharing the fastest setups I can do, that’s why they’re even open sourced so that can cut out the paragraph needed about the method in the madness. Then people can run it, have a fiddle and give feedback. People can come back and say “I tried your settings, it helped a great deal and I’m now a second faster. Good job!” Or they can say “I changed the springs and dampers a bit and found more time from that.”

People who have spoke to me more will know I always have time to talk tunes and I know my driving style is often different to others. But I can understand when people chat with me and say that maybe they couldn’t get on with the aggressive diff and we’d talk about a way to adapt to achieve a similar outcome.

TL;DR: Make the car as fast as you can make it :slight_smile:

And this is where we differ a lot. I try to make my cars as versitile as possible, so the 1 car could be as competitive as possible on many different circuits. of course there will be differences, because if the car is fairly good on Daytona Short, it will suck on Laguna Seca. How ever if the car is fairly good on bathurst, it should be fairly good on Daytona Short.
I also fairly often take stability over absolute time. This is partly because I prefer slightly longer races, (race should last at least 15 minutes) and let’s face it mistakes happen. all drivers aren’t great, and the longer the race, the more likely it is that you make mistakes, Therefore I try to make my cars at least somewhat forgiving, and no I’m not trying to build “slow” cars. During my time with FM4 and FM5 I know that many of my tunes have reached top 100 positions, couple even driven by me, even though I usually fight for top 500-1000 positions.

Then again, LB’s have never really interested me. close racing is much more interesting to me, and running full lap side by side battling it out is much more fulfilling, even if it would end up me losing the race. then again, on these situations my cars tend to be quite strong, Specially if the other driver is driving faster, but not quite as composed car. sure I have couple really fast cars. although rarely share them. Those are for time attack, basically loose cannons, and you have to hit every braking, every apex, every kerb perfectly, or you end up far off the track. Need less to say I never take them out in a race.

1 Like

I agree with this as well, as I myself cannot drive my tunes as fast as most of the people that use them can. However I am still down with the idea of a Super Group. There are so many people to learn from in the tuning community and there are a lot of fantastic mentors out there.

Agree it’s annoying to be beaten by your own car lol. Nothing like the frustration of wondering how on earth they’re finding 3 or 4 seconds on your time in a car which you know is identical.

Ok so my 2 cents worth.

ECT still runs as a garage, its a lot harder than it used to be and the group has shrunk… but, it works because we complement each other well, we are all open to talking through settings and discussing what’s best. 9 out of 10 times we get something good.

I personally like a hyper sensitive front end that really bites on turn in but that usual means the rear is a little looser than some like so when I start a turn guess what the front sticks like glue, but the guy’s tell me to turn it down and lock down the rear end more etc… and visa versa for other guy’s.

Now the real reason the garages don’t exist in the same way as they used to is because T10 didn’t want them too, they didn’t like it and wanted to open it up to all play’s hence the storefront, then the share front’s.

The TM was at its highest point in FM2 since then it has slowly been falling apart. This place isn’t even called the Tuning Market Place anymore its the Tuning Garage. Soon we won’t even be able to advertise on here… you what my words

1 Like