Why are all drivatars so aggressive??

@IceMan PJN The drivatars do take damage i watched my friend in a race on the indy circuit a few days ago there was a shunt going into the first breaking zone turn 1 and one of the drivatars hit another car making it spew smoke and limping around the circuit till the end of the race so i can confirn drivatars do take damage.

I tried the Pro drivatar setting tonight. Vastly improved, they really do drive so much better and react if you have the line and not swipe you off it. It was a completely different set of drivatars out there, much more fun and certainly very tough. Thanks for the tip :smiley:

Why do drivatars drive so aggressively?
We train them. Go try a few multiplayer races and you’ll find that, actually, the drivatars are quite civilised compared to the crash kings who are training them… Ie., us.

At least the drivatars don’t talk trash during the races. I left 3 lobbies tonight due to being rammed off turns or sideswiped by people who can’t take being passed.

1 Like

My son and I race. I have noticed that the AI Drivatar Digital cousins, are more aggressive and seem to be better drivers than the human counterparts. Even adjusting the Drivatar difficulty levels don’t effect them.

Agreed, When I play with my friends I see how they drive and it is NOTHING like their drivatar. I see drivatars doing things racers don’t do in general, its a racing game not bumper car…I know I hit cars on accident but I have had drivatars run me off the road and T-bone me in turns.

Sligtly unrelated but maybe not, I don’t agree with always starting in 14th place…why do I win and get put in the back of the pack with such an aggressive field. I remember when Forza had racing events that put you in pole position based on your finishing position. I’m tired of chasing down the gold, I’ve had to turn the difficulty down a little compared to other forza games because I can’t get through the wolf pack without the cars starting at the front getting a 10-20 second lead because there is no competition for them.

Good game, but the word I use to describe drivatars…painful.

Amazing that you silence my reply to this thread…what was wrong with it?

had this earlier and recorded it, drivatars can act very crazy and uncharacteristically as i know the guy to be a clean racer on and offline!

build a better car …lol

i like the drivatars. they definitely react to you as someone else stated. The best AI we’ve had in a racing game in my opinion.

Drivatars was a good idea that doesn’t work in reality, I really hope that the T-10 put this joke on the shelf and put energy into developing normal AI instead.

Have you seen any racing AI that worked well in reality?

Just for kicks, I took bone stock D306/7? AE86 into FreePlay at YasMarina with 15 drivatars for 3 lap race. Started in usual 14th, got up to about 6th by the first corner, up to 2nd by hairpin, then up to 1st on beginning of Lap 2. ZERO contact to my car, and looking at the replay drivatars drove fairly clean too.

I certainly am NOT seeing any dirty racing, in the back or up front. All I see is clean racing. Drivatars, however, are not good at driving on the edge of traction; they brake.

1 Like

I love the drivatars… My favorite are the ones that jam their brakes right in front of you as the crowd enters a turn… That is SO awesome!!!
I mean, who really wants to race with the damage assist turned off anyway, right???

T10 could have included maybe 10 more tracks for all the time and energy put in the drivatar experiment

I love racing the drivatars, on unbeatable it’s virtually indistinguishable from online racing but with less idiots. The only slight problem that annoys me is the fact the sticky grass doesn’t apply to them, and the bad bit of code that makes them rejoin the race after off at 90 degrees to the track so they just plow through the traffic and generally end up in the barrier on the opposite side.

1 Like

Totally agree. Although I believe that sometimes the drivatar’s ability seems to be far greater and exceeds that of the vehicle it’s in.

play the rival games with traffic. like the new one where your in the little cars and the traffic is in suv’s and after about an hour on that you will not mind drivatar’s at all, they go from racing line to wall to racing line in one corner

The problem is it does exactly what it is designed to do - mimic what humans do on the track.

The career races pretty much force you to be aggressive if you want to get to the front. 2-3 lap sprints with you starting way in the back? I would never race like that online against people, but offline? I’m getting to the front and that means trading some paint with the AI. Unless I’m doing something wrong in career mode, I’d finish outside the top 10 most times if I raced clean.

After 500+ races in the Career mode I would have to agree with this. Anything goes to get to the top 3 and let us be honest clean lap times are a joke as well in Career Mode!!! A pity as this is what I do (as well as the Bonus Races)!!!

Am I the only one who don’t have trouble with the drivatars? The only trouble is sometimes to get the gold medal.
But whenever I followed a few rules, I won’t have overly aggressive drivatars. I don’t say it generally, maybe some of you really have messed up drivatars.
First, mostly I have aggressive drivatars when I am one of the first to act aggressive. So at the beginning of a race I try to avoid any trouble. I know sometimes it isn’t easy, but it may work… At the first crucial tight turn you should get an outside line and stay as far outside as possible, taking an inside line in a bunch of drivatars almost always lead to trouble, an may mark you the aggressive one.
Second give the drivatars ‘room for error’, and they will give you room for errors back. It means when you approach a turn on the outside and have drivatars around, then stay outside, if you’re inside stay inside. Inside is more difficult as some drivatars tend to cut into the corner no matter who is inside, but that is most times when you are side by side, and not when you are fairly ahead.
If you are approaching outside, you can block, but should be early with it, and than hold the inside line. After you earned their respect, they will also give you room, even when you just going side by side, not only when you are ahead.
Still it’s not guaranteed, especially when you try it on the inside, and hickups on straights also occur, when they want to block you, but are too late.

After the field stretched out a bit, and I didn’t have much contact so far, I can have a fair and respectful race. I even can go side by side with two drivatars through some turns without any problems.

One more thing, theres still some questionable behavior one has to learn. for example, if I am directly behind a drivatar coming out of a turn, I have always to expect senseless braking when everybody should be accelerating. Mostly it is when the drivatar in front of you is following another one, when he had room in most cases he goes full throttle way before myself. Sometime you generally can expect breaking whenever your directly following a drivatar, even on a straight, don’t know if it’s just break-checking but they sometimes they slam it really hard.

To say so, fairly often when something happens, and I rewind I see it’s not their fault alone, I can see I was a bit careless myself.

2 Likes

How anyone’s Drivatar is supposed to be a clean, sensible racer when they’re trained in two-lap thrashes from 14th place on the grid while avoiding the 15 other cars side-swiping each other down the straights and grinding three-wide into the corners is beyond me.

1 Like

Career races are crazy short. To win from 14th you have to be aggressive. Drivatars are aggressive. Coincidence? I think not.

Is short career races the primary fault for drivatar behavior? Probably not, but it’s likely a significant factor.

1 Like