Who else refuses to race auto on ANY Forza?

Generally I use manual with clutch.

I may switch to manual if the car has very quick gear changes.

I do not even think about what the car has in real life. This is a video game to me not real life.

I have no grudge against anyone that uses different assists than I do.

I have been using manual since Forza 1. I switched to clutch the first game that came with it. Took a little while to get used to it. In forza 4, the hybrids were actually faster using automatic rather than manual.

The way most people use manual w/ clutch in Forza is a joke. No one drives a car like that in real life.

I’ve mentioned on these forums before that there are no real penalties for shifting improperly, so there’s very little skill involved in using a manual transmission (as far as the game is concerned). Many racers would use automatic a whole lot more if they couldn’t just bounce off the limiter and jam the clutch in and out like a light switch all the time.

1 Like

Oh, there are penalties for bad shifting. Occasionally I will cause transmission damage with a bad downshift (with sim damage).

The previous comment was talking about lack of realism and he’s got damage setting off:P.

That is incorrect. I always play with Sim Damage On. The clutch in Forza is very strange.

But I have gone in Test Drive and tried many different techniques. If you miss the clutch while switching gears, yes, you will suffer 4% damage on your transmission. But if you screw up powershifting (which is pretty easy to screw up) there is NO DAMAGE to the clutch or the transmission.

And a lot of cars (old road cars especially) do not have rev limiters, so it’s highly unrealistic to keep over-reving the engine like that. The real car would blow up, whereas the rev-limiter prevents this damage.

And most cars also have to rev way too high to start 1st gear. There is absolutely no reason that a car should have to rev to 2000+ RPMs to start moving.

I use manual w/o clutch. I’ve used w/ clutch when playing on a controller but didn’t enjoy it as much. It felt weird using it and I didn’t like how I felt like I was giving up some control in sweepers where a gear change was needed. I know it’s probably a couple tenth’s slower per lap but it didn’t feel right. Maybe if I get around to upgrading my wheel with a clutch and gear shift I’ll give switch back.

Because of the way this game works - using a clutch is essentially the same as using manual without clutch…the exception being that WITH the clutch, you have an extra button to press. I have mine setup that A button is the clutch…and I use my thumb to press A+B on upshifts, and A+X on downshifts.

Same here, except I switched the functions or X and B.

I use the clutch but agree it’s fairly pointless other than the slight (and unrealistic) performance advantage it gives. It takes no skill or judgement and only really favours people with fat thumbs.

Its is a little odd that most hyper cars, race cars or anything else fitted with a sequential box has a clutch option. In these cases fitting a manual box should be something you do to reduce PI rather than the global upgrade system the game uses.

I think they just want simplify all the assist and transmission upgrades to make the PI and the Assists so there was less problems. Transmission/gearing can make or break a car. So it’s just easier to rate the car.

I have to use manual at minimum, not for any elitist reasons…just simply because I have used it for a very long time and cannot live without the extra control it gives. Find it very hard to slow an auto down also I often have a gear I use for a corner and an auto doesn’t know that.

I started my Forza racing with automatic. Automatic, with assisted steering and auto-brake.

In FM4, I dropped those three (just manual w/o clutch though), and I started off being slower than I was. Overtime I adapted, and got a lot faster. Now, I can’t see myself using those assists in any racing game, let alone Forza. I’m not 1% material, and I’m not trying to be, but I’m definitely a lot happier being faster now, and I love having the control over the powerband using manual with or without clutch provides.

Once I feel the urge to drop more assists, I will. STM, I’m looking at you.

Ive been on manual only since forza 4. At first i had trouble but quickly got used to it. I still struggle with manual with clutch some 5yrs later lol but its all good. Manual is perfect for me. And the only other assists i use is braking only line and tcs. Dont need STM

M with clutch for ever