What is the hardest car to handle for you?

Hardest ? Rimac, I’d say. It’s way too powerful and handles like an elephant on ice.

4 Likes

By my own approximation, and the fact that it does not handle how I would have thought it would, the ‘hardest’ car for me to handle is the Apollo. It understeers way too much and by the time you can get it to speeds where the aero is good, other cars from the same category (the F50 GT, F40 Competizione, Nismo GT-R LM FE, X-BOW GT4, CCGT) have already shown themselves to be much more pliant and easy to use. Also on my list of cars that are a bit difficult to handle are the Rimac C2 (and by proxy, the Zenvo ST1, Bugatti Chiron and Veyron- all four have the same issue, no true corner grip and too much power for their own good.), the two VW Beetle Bugs (way too easy to topple over, and are meant to be good off-road, where toppling over is easier), and cars with too much power for their weight (Caterham FE, Funco F9, Ultima and Twin Mill)

I tested Caterham yet and it’s for my surprise very good. I used stock one, it was OK, great for cruising and S1 version is a beast (without speed). Against 959 it’s easier for me.

I’ve got an A Class tune for the non-FE Caterham. It’s easy mode.

And I am finding rather hard mode to train with :smiley: It’s interesting to play with “new” cars. Horizon is usualy full of AWD/AWD swaps and it’s not fun at all and feels like arcade.

That’s interesting, because max speed is like A class :smiley: How did you fit it there? I tried but failed, start is 804 and I wasn’t able to fit.

I use the non-FE version of the car. AWD is the trick, but the diff, springs and antiroll bars need tuning to remove the severe understeer. Then you add things to weigh the car down till it’s in the A Class category.

The car in A class can do 0-60mph in 1.445 seconds and grips the road.

The Forza Edition Caterham cannot be tuned to A class unfortunately.

Ah, thanks. I need RWD because AWD Caterham is not much Caterham anymore :smiley: Maybe using diff to 100 % for a rear could work too.

The 959 is spot on! I’m very good at tuning AWD but that thing is a pain. Its probably because of the rear engine but I do not like it. It slides WAY too much, even with some experienced tuning. Maybe I get handbrake happy around some turns but that car handles exactly like the Lancia Deltas in Eliminator. Once the tail starts sliding, you cant recover. Yes they are AWD but they slide around like a regular RWD car. Its weird. I’ve had a chance to upgrade to the level 9 Delta and I refuse it. I hate it lol

Great! I will probably race with it more to try to find any driving style. It’s so strange to drive. It has 911 roots because of weight distribution but it’s much harder to drive.

Look for stock tyre grip, compare.

And it has lots of it’s weight behind rear axle. Real challenge on damp/wet tarmac,

Yeah, I love heavy rain or snow with it (or 911), it’s pretty interesting to handle.

959 is good challenge car stock but also for same reason a bit trivial, it’s quite hit or miss. It was even worse before it got silent update. For my experience '82 911 at least is much less unpredictable and I really like it stock. It has it’s own feeling and physics as Porsche used torsion bar suspension in all points till very late '80’s IIRC.

It’s funny but now I think of it. There are at least two modern 911’s I find quite unpredictable stock, can’t pin down the models from top of my head though. Then '19 GT3 is really great IMO. Porsche 968 tends to be quite tail happy stock, it’s not that much of issue otherwise but bumps like sidewalks in Edinburgh races with rain were difficult at times.

Everything with “bad” weight distribution should be bad for handling. The problem is it has many advantages too. Unfortunately, it’s hard to see them in Horizon. Still, I love these cars for training. You need to be much more precise and ahead of situation.

Newer are easy to drive which is a bit strange or they have really big rear tires.

I’m not so sure it’s all about how certain era’s of technology was modeled in game. Alfa-Romeo P3 for example, once you learn it, you also learn that you have quite a bit of margin with it, unless you push it too hard, then it’s the same as with any car. I found it easier to find limits of P3 and do constant lap times than with 968. There’s also this thing with 968, the real one didn’t had issue being sloppy, it’s issue was flipping over. Quite the opposites don’t you think?

Remembered one car I didn’t find myself comfortable with, Ferrari F12tdf stock. It’s S2 901. Compared to Pagani Huayra stock (S1 900) F12tdf was very tricky, Furthermore, I went to this weeks Street Scene championship with '18 Porsche 911 GT2 RS stock and found that far more enjoyable than F12tdf. It’s quite puzzling actually, I was far more comfortable with S2 910 than S2 901 vehicle.

For modern cars difference between F12tdf and say Pagani Huayra and '18 Porsche 911 GT2 RS is that with Pagani and Porsche I’m trying my best with the car and with Ferrari I’m trying my best with game pad. It’s difficult to explain but it really feels like that, in one moment I’m playing a car game, and then I’m playing controller game LOL

P3 looks completely fine to me. Wow, will try 968 because I think I haven’t drove it yet. 968 should be pretty good IRL. Will try it.

I will try F12tdf too! 911 are pretty good to handle because of weight distribution I guess. You need to be precise but those cars are pretty good. Hard to say if game simulates it fine. It’s very enjoyable to me.

You mean from a simulation perspective?

Discovered something great. It’s total opposite for topic which is to find worst handling cars, but I found that stock 2009 Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster (S2 908) is absolutely great car. Did Street Scene run through with it (Unbeatable) and only encountered issues on the Monument Wynds against new LEGO Bugatti Chiron (which may be broken there). But I think players in general like think about car classes, S1 / S2 and '09 Pagani Zonda might be better comparison point for Ferrari F12tdf.

Simulation point of view, I need to expand this a little: I have considered games Horizon series to be about the best “Simcades” there are, especially FH4.

Full simulation, even without damage modeling, would mean lot’s of cars would stay on grass, once they ended in there, pinned on something. Not very fun. It would also mean that we would need very different kind of car class system or alternatively homogulation like in Motorsports series. Homogulation would lead to same experience as in FM7 where about every car feels the same. It doesn’t matter if you are trying out classic Ferrari Mondial or some modern C-class Ford, for example. This is to make multiplayer work and single player campaign to support multiplayer. It can also be utterly boring. That’s just couple of things.

Combination of Arcade and Simulation of FH4 makes it fun to try different cars. They feel different, have surprising details, like '92 Honda NXS have certain unpredictable trait (I recall it was like that also in Gran Turismo 4). Later I read about how real one had that quirk too and one reason for GSX model was improve car in that regard. Other example, say Hudson Hornet we have in game have same strengths the real one had back in the day. Inline 6 but much lighter and more maneuverable than competition. There are lot’s of things like that which makes game fun to explore. Certain limits set by arcade aspect of game is like glue holding it all together and makes that experience possible. It’s a bit like first two Gran Turismo games.

So it’s bit difficult to weight pros and cons of FH4 just in simulation context. For me experience like taking Maserati A6GCS/53 on road without thinking and having this realisation; “This ain’t a sports car, this is a racer!” makes it “good enough” for me among other things and is very important actually. Combination of game physics and how they modeled the cars and Drivatars makes it for me. There are hard core sims, iRacing is still a thing for example, so if I wanted that sort of experience I could just buy subscription.

I have come to think that to make great fantasy, like Horizon Festival, it may take to embrace reality first and work from there to entertainment side. I think Dirt Racing could be improved to allow more real life technics and few things from whatever Drivatar have (something similar to proper clutch probably) not likely to happen in FH4 but maybe in next game. They could expand Cross Country a lot and that needs some other work too. For Road/Street there could be some sections with a bit broken and uneven tarmac to allow players to experience more of game physics and to give a little more depth for remaking some historical scenarios.

That’s my not very short answer for your simple question. Sorry, couldn’t help it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Exactly, it’s not HC sim but it has good physics and you can enjoy different cars. It’s a bit different from Motorsport but you can’t do stuff from Horizon in Motorsport so Horizon brings good physics with new gameplay. A grip could be a bit lower but that’s the reason why I usualy use heavy rain or snow with RWD.

I rarely race AWD’s outside Playlist events as they tend to make things easy. There are some events that can be pretty tough though and then custom routes with long straights with even more emphasis on power that can be tough with stock. Then also rarely race S2 at all so it’s difficult for me to say for sure. I haven’t liked some bone stock McLaren’s in wet races but maybe I could give them another spin. (Pun intended)

Had to look up which Koenigsegg is which, I use them rarely. I tried them few times long ago and found them difficult then, but then I did some Playlist stuff with one of them and it didn’t felt that challenging anymore. Can’t pin it down even with pictures from Wiki if it was either of Agera’s or Regera though.

I do lot of Street Scene so benefit of speed on higher classes in single player is quite relative thing. There are blind corners and hill sections where traffic comes, sometimes they appear behind Drivatars and of course window to react gets ridiculously small and sometimes there isn’t any. I don’t wish Developers change that, I think it’s very good like it is. I don’t glorify Street Racing in real life and way it’s in game is good reminder that taking stupid risks is not about skill, but about dump luck and at some point you run out of luck.

Grip never bothered me that much but during winter which at first felt like it was just ridiculously grippy. But then realised that it was to make something possible, say players being able to enjoy their Hyper Cars and like and to make them able to complete playlist events. There’s however something Horizon physics makes possible with custom routes. This was discovered by accident on one custom route made by BabySeal.
You need a custom route, stock tyres low speed, start on road but then route goes uphill on grass which can be really slippery during winter, gravel wont work. In that scenario Both Drivatar and player cars tended to get stuck spinning wheels on lower classes if there isn’t enough momentum to get to top. It’s surprisingly life like. I don’t believe that sort of things are what general audience of Horizon are looking for and would enjoy, but for those who like to experiment and create more life like scenarios, it’s possible.

Same goes for aquaplaning. Could be made realistic, but that wouldn’t be very fun in context of Horizon. But there is a way, this is why I tend to bring up Frozen lake to the great joy of Da Reo Charmer ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) With good route design parts of route taking more or less their length at lake, it would be possible to create some really wild scenarios. Would need props to be available to route creators though.

I finally test it. Yeah, it should be RWD start for beginners. It has OK weight distribution, it’s not heavy, it has crazy downforce and not crazy power. That’s how good cars are made :smiley: It should be similar to one track oriented Viper. I don’t like it, because it’s too stable and has no speed. But it’s very intresting to drive sometimes.

1 Like