Top Gear reports on Forza 6 telemetry going to Ford

I certainly hope we will be notified before they release the needed universe update? Obviously they’ll need to alter real world suspension and tire physics to match the data coming from the game…Or can they just alter reality locally, so that only the GT is affected?

3 Likes

Well I guess this is a testament to how accurate and realistic FM’s physics really are.

You can’t tune a RL sportscar using NFS or The Crew, lol.

I don’t get the negativity here.
It’s a win win win situation. Ford get some kudos for working with T10 and Gamers. Turn 10 get some kudos for working in secret with Ford and sharing the fruits of that with gamers. Gamers get kudos for helping Ford with “crowd testing” and helping Turn 10 to prove to Ford it was a worthwhile effort. Everybody wins. I’m critical of Turn 10 at times, very critical, but this is one of those times when nobody loses. You’re playing the game anyway, Turn 10 will sort that data and give it to ford in the manner they requested. We likely wouldn’t have that car if not for this deal, so people saying they get nothing from this clearly don’t understand how these things work.
Smile, it’s all good.

Of course you wouldn’t.

Its nothing more than marketing.
T10 get a shiny new car for their game. Ford get mass exposure.

1 Like

100% this… Its purely PR, i highly doubt Ford is going to take a billion dollar project and rely on test data from a video game. I honestly don’t know what kind f data would even be useful to them from the game. I like forzas physics but it’s not a simulator, it’s a simcade and in my eyes is better for that reason.

And PCars gets nothing.

6 Likes

Just wait for AC to release to see what content-lite is

btw, sincerely, many thanks for your post. I did not know of this before readding your post.

I want them to enter a Ford GT using a robot that has been programmed with the cumulative drivertar behaviors from everyone playing

Bets on how long it would last before getting black flagged?

2 Likes

I think some people don’t realise that game developers take data from players all the time. How they play, what they play, favourite items, how DLC performs. So it’s no different with giving data to Ford as it is giving data to publishing partners etc. No different at all.

1 Like

Um, why are people freaking over this?

Ford is not stealing/gathering personal information.

Ford is not selling information to 3rd parties.

They are not in cahoots with NSA, CSIS, or the FBI.

They are observing how you drive their car in a videogame, in an effort to make said car better. This has no impact on the game, your life, the price of wheat, or whether the sun comes up tomorrow. You are NOT entitled to compensation from Ford, as you aren’t putting any extra effort for them, you’d be playing FM6 either way. If you happen to drive the GT, they’ll take notes.

I don’t expect the U.S. Army to cut me a cheque for driving a T29 in World of Tanks. If they cut a deal with Wargaming.net to use that game as a recruitment tool, it would change nothing: I’d be playing either way.

People get bent outta shape over some pretty silly things these days. Read some history, learn how the world works. Then, you’ll be better able to discern whether something is worth getting upset over. Hint: Ford having access to your FM6 telemetry is on the “not” list.

/end rant

1 Like

^^This^^

And don’t think for a moment that anyone playing Forza (or any other game) would stumble on a unique and never previously discovered way of setting up a car - even if a replica of the race car in question, rather than its road going counterpart, was actually in the game.

However, there is useful data to be gained but it’s more related to track, anticipated tire and brake wear and fuel consumption. For a team visiting a track with a new car after some years away it may prove helpful with limited testing available ahead of the race but beyond that they certainly don’t need someone’s XBox tune - that’s really funny.

But…but… I want Aston Martin win next year.

Seriously though this is nothing more than a marketing thing, which is great if it gets more eyes on World Endurance Championship and The IMSA Tudor Untied Weathertech Sportscar Championship presented by Patron , or whatever its called this week.

Taking Forza Data would be pretty useless, since Forza’s tyre model for slicks isn’t very good, nor are their aero physics ( although I hope FM6 will prove me wrong). The vast majority of players will use the default setup which is usually wrong, the rear being stiffer than the font which isn’t how anything other than FWD is done. You’d never start an IRL race (I don’t mean Indy Racing League) with 30 psi, more like 20 +/- 5 psi, nor do you choose downforce by the amount of Kg/lbs. you want, but by wing position. Damper and Roll bars don’t use real measurements either and you can’t change brake bias without carbon brakes in the Forza Universe.

You just have to look at the top guys setups to realise that a fast setup ( Tune in Forza speak) in Forza isn’t necessarily a realistic one.

These are just my views on why I don’t think it would work, I’m not complaining.

P.S when does Ford GT production start? Because they need to have 200 cars built to get the racer homologated and I’m pretty sure that date is late September early October for that.

1 Like

Aside from maybe the guy that wants to be compensated, (and I don’t know that I would so far has to say that he was), I’m not really seeing anybody “freaking out” over this.

I see people mildly amused, and I see people doing a little facepalm, just plain discussing the marketing angles, and even some of the possible benefits to various involved parties, but I’m not really seeing the “freaking out”.

I also see some defensiveness, some of the usual attempts to nullify opinions of others, (has is practically required in any debate), and even one “/rant”, that is probably the closest thing to anyone freaking out, (though I expect the actual emotion behind was not nearly so heated has that).

All moot. What ever happens is going to happen. The deal is done, and I see no reason for the plans to change. People are going to either be enthusiastic, indifferent, opposed, skeptical, or any number of other possible positions, positive or negative, just like any topic ever to grace an internet forum. Some my sway from one opinion to another based on the conversation, or whatever, but overall it’s just a two page thread about a video game.

I, for one, am certainly not wasting any effort getting overly emotional over it, and I would hope nobody else is either. After all, the sun will still rise tomorrow, no matter who wins the internet today.

But here’s something new that I just ran across tonight. Just something to chew on.

I came across a couple of gentlemen at the bar tonight, who had an angle that I think every sports fan can appreciate: They just didn’t want to help Ford, simply because they were fans of other manufacturers.

Makes sense to me. If you’re a staunch fan of one, say, basketball team, you almost certainly wouldn’t want the competition to gleam data off of your day at the gym, for use in their own athletic training. If you’re less rabid, you might be willing to share that info with the NBA has a whole, but any fan, rabid or not, is likely not going to be happy at all with helping a specific direct competitor to a favorite team.

So this is what these gentlemen came up with:

One is only going to put “stupid crazy worthless”, (His words), settings on his car, and spend a lot of time driving drunk and backwards. In other words, it’s arguable that he’s going to make the best of it by, at least in his mind, messing with Ford.

The other pretty much swore never to drive the car. (A half hour later he decided he would, but also only backwards.)

So, that’s what two guys are doing because they view the whole thing has giving a team that they don’t to win an unfair advantage, at their expense.

Pointless?

Probably, given the multitude of players that would make their own individual efforts mean almost nothing.

Still, an objection that any serious sports fan could understand I think, though I don’t really think they’re in any real danger of contributing anything game changing to “The Other Team” either.

I do however wonder how many more are out there with this same objection, and what others may plan has a response. Could be very amusing.

Edit-

Hehe, I know this is a joke, but kind of funny that it got posted while I was writing my little novel. Surprised we made it to page two before somebody said it actually…

1 Like