There's definitely something funny going on with the lighting model

I agree the lighting is off in places but I have had great success tinkering with calibration settings and RGB settings on both my 1080P plasma, 1080P Acer TV and 1080p DLP projector along with making changes to the output from the Xbox one. Whether it’s a PC or Xbox both have settings for RGB (see below). Let it be said though, Forza on Xbox has always had it’s fair share of lighting issues often resulting from the color range settings being used, often far too dark when it’s daylight or when lighting’s corrected an overall washed out effect prevails. Which is why I say pick your poison…

I believe the display you are using is a TV not a PC monitor and may be the culprit if your PC is sending a Full RGB signal(which pc games do by default) via HDMI and your display interprets it incoming as limited RGB.

Just trying to help/understand…here’s some info that may assist…

Black colors may look washed out and gray if you connect your PC to its display via an HDMI cable, and it’s not your display’s fault. This is due to the way your graphics card is converting data to colors, and there’s an easy fix.

RGB Full vs. RGB Limited

PCs, TVs, and other devices represent colors using a range of numbers. “RGB Full” represents colors using values from 0 to 255. 0 is the blackest black, and 255 is the whitest white. “RGB Limited” represents colors using values from 16 to 235. 16 is the blackest black and 235 is the whitest white.

TV shows and movies use RGB Limited. PCs and PC games use RGB Full. If you have your PC set to output content in RGB Limited format, colors on your PC will look more washed out. Your graphics card will send 16 for the blackest black, but your monitor will show it as grey, expecting 0 for the blackest black. In other words, they’re mismatched. And vise versa when your PC is set to full but your display is set to limitted.

RELATED ARTICLE
What’s the Difference Between HDMI and DVI? Which is Better?
If you connect your computer to its display via HDMI, your graphics drivers may select RGB Limited if they suspect you may have connected your PC to a TV. That’s why this problem only seems to occur when you use an HDMI connection, although some people do report it happens on DisplayPort connections. If you connect your PC to a display using DVI, your drivers should automatically choose RGB Full.

Long story short: Unless you’re watching movies on a home theater PC, you’ll almost always want your computer to output color in full RGB. Your driver should automatically select RGB Full for PC displays, but this doesn’t always happen. But you can change it manually.

Sorry Sir, but you are full of it. You’re posting all this because you think we don’t have our TVs set up properly? So I suppose it’s pure coincidence that FM7 is the only game that does this? along with Horizon 3’s unusually bright brake lights

bright brakes
bright brakes 2
bright brakes 3

Oh and lookie here: parking brake lights on in the rain (with dash lights on too) but NO light at all on the headlights:

no headlights but brake lights on
only brake lights on

Hmmm… problem with our TVs you reckon? :wink:

There’s also a photo in the Forza news or WIR review section I believe in Forza Hub where they’ve taken a shot of a red Ferrari on Spa evening with the brake lights on - it’s for the Specialty dealer promo this week. You can CLEARLY see that the brake lights signature on the road looks red as it should, but the brakes lighting up on the red Ferrari are bright/neon orange, almost white as if somebody broke the tail lights with a hammer.

There is a SERIOUS lighting issue in the game, with or without HDR, with or without RGB.

But this is the best part yet: the tail lights look normal when you brake in daytime lighting conditions with clouds around.
daytime brakes look okay

Heyyy look, even the headlights turn on as normal and actually appear to be brighter during the day than they are at night:

headlights AND brake lights turn on during the day

1 Like

Thanks for the effort you put into helping out. :slight_smile:

I got to tinker with my TV`s settings today. It certainly did crush blacks, which I managed to change with a quite well hidden setting.
Still gotta say it was/is fine the way I had it with over 150 other games, so …

I am optimistic it will at least mitigate the problem a bit, unfortunately I can`t really try the new setting right now, because the Windows Fall update made Forza almost unplayable for me. Cheers Microsoft! :wink:

its not about false lightnin gray or to dark…
itt is that the cars do wrong witgh their own lights…like in Forza 6 the lights of the cars were always on in day, night and rain races
but in tunnels you dont see anything from the turned on lights of your car

this time the same in the tunnels +they didnt even turn on the light in there (in Horizon 3 they can turn on in tunnle and back off after relase…)
in some dayraces the sun is up and lights too :slightly_frowning_face:
some other sunny races they are off :+1: but in the car(interior) the light is still on​:pensive:

Forza Horizon 3
Playground Games
are making a well better job with the lights of the cars
with no light issues

You guys see Digitalfoundry’s GT Sport VS Forza 7 vid?

it’s here:

Check out the comments - many of the top rated ones are “why is forza so dull?” “why’s it so dark?” etc etc. That was my issue on day 1. Straight away i was checking my connections thinking did i turn something down? No, i didn’t, the game is simply far too dark and lacks colour - and the lighting model is also terrible (this is discussed in the analysis btw).