The 15' Corvette is a mediocre sports car and is an insult to motorsport and league racing

Yeah, but I am a customer too and I very much like the 15’ Corvette. As a matter of fact I am sad I missed all the fun.

Now what? How do we decide which customer is right?

7 Likes

Please refrain from creating threads purely to create arguments.

10 Likes

I mean… I don’t like American cars either but there are a few gems. The Viper ACR is very grippy both in game and IRL. Plus the Ford GT as well as you mentioned. Even though it had reliability problem,an American car hater like Jeremy Clarkson had one because “there wasn’t a Ferrari that was better.”. Don’t forget the Saleen S7, the Mosler MT900, and the Panoz GTR-1 as well. And then lastly we have Ford’s new awesome Focus ST, which I would love to have, personally. As for the corvette league, is it a good car. Personally I would say no, but it’s a spec series, so everyone is handicapped by the awful handling. Driver skill still prevails in the end.

Having no knowledge of this car before the league I was quite surprised by its performance. Being down under we are now getting the Mustangs here but man that vette is quick for a road car.

… wait. The '15 Vette as in the Z06? I really don’t understand what would make that car a disappointment.

Upon further review, we have determined the OP is trolling.

100 yard penalty, 4th down. No cookie.

6 Likes

But I like the cookie!!

2 Likes

OK, I’ll bite…
to the OP, since you are sending a mixed message, and I can’t really tell wheter you hate the pretend FM6 Corvettes, or the real life Corvettes, or both, or you just got dumped by your old lady, and you came to the forums to rant it out a little (as we all do, so forgives on that).

Either way here goes…

In reall life, Corvette Racing (http://www.corvetteracing.com/) seems to disagree with you. They seem to be beating a lot of cars from companies like Aston Martin, BMW, Ford, Ferrari, Porsche, etc. All of whom are notable European makes (including Ford, who last time I checked, made and sold a crap load of cars in Europe). They won two of the three races of the triple crown of Endurance racing so far this year. They went 1 and 2 at the 24 Hours of Daytona (in class, GTLM). They won (their class, GTLM) at the 12 Hours of Sebring. They came in third (in class, GTLM) at Long Beach.

Oh, and they sort o, kind of, just a little bit, won their class (LM GTE Pro) at LeMans in 2015. That means they they currently hold their class trophies for the triple crown of endurance racing. Not too freaking shabby seeing how rarely that occurs. They are far and away the favorite to win the same class this year at Lemans; this is in spite of the excellent Ford LM GTE Pro entries from Ford/ChipGanassi Racing. So, I’d say that Corvette racing, in their C7.R’s, are in fact, excellent racing cars.

I have the FM6 version of this dialed to R850, and I race with my friends, in our private lobbies, and in public leagues/lobbies. I have won races in the C7.R. So there, you are wrong there, too. I have several other Corvettes, and I have won races online, and in private lobbies. So there, you are wrong there, too.

In real life, I have driven several Corvettes, and raced two. Corvettes, are not true track cars, as they sit from the factory. They are what I would call a Grand Tourer with a harder edge. On the road, I much prefer the Corvette to the Viper. I have driven all genrations of the Viper, from Gen III and up (including 2010 ACR, and 2014 GTS). On the road the Vipers are almost laughable when you compare them to the Corvette. The Corvette is much better as a road car. As a track car, the Viper is far superior. At a 10/10’s track pace, the Corvettes simply cannot get rid of enough heat (brakes, engine, diff, etc). Really, though, that is true of most road cars, 911, Ferrari, Audi, BMW, all of them. Take them to a track, run them for five laps at the edge of their envelope, and the only ones that have not boiled their brake fluid, greased their brake pads, busted a radiator hose, and/or shredded their tires is the Viper. You can lap a Viper at 10/10’s, to the end of its tank, and all you will have to do then is swap out to a new set of tires, and re-fill the tank. They can go all day like that (i’d swap brake pads after the second tank/tires for safety though, not because you will need to). At Laguna Seca, a road Vette is done by the third lap. The 911’s are better. You usually don’t have to let a 911 cool off until lap five or six. I have never driven a Ferrari so I can’t say there, but I have seen more than one cooling off in the pits, or slow lapping (I am talking about really, really pushing these cars. I am talking about driving them to, and well past their capabilities. This is a pace very, very few cars can withstand very long.)

Also, don’t believe the magazine hype about Vipers being “death machines waiting to kill you”. That is just ad copy. I have driven Vipers at Sonoma, and Willow Springs raceway. Vipers do require your full attention, and they require you to be a competant racer, and they require you to have a good setup (tune). It is fairly easy to foul up their settings. They do whatever you tell them to do. You just have to make sure you tell them to do the right thing. Do it wrong, and yes, they bite. That however is true of any car, (except the GTR; Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clintom, Donald Trump, and Angela Merkel could all drive a GTR to a 7’20" at the 'Ring, but don’t get me started on those pushy, awd beasts).

Anywho, back to Vettes. I am Viper guy, sorry about getting sidetracked onto Vipers.

Back to Vettes. OK, the 1967 Corvette; though I have not driven one on a track, I have driven one (not the 427) on a spirted highway escapade in my youth. Those do suck. They start getting super-spooky-scary at about 120mph. That front end design literally floats the front wheels over the pavement at those speeds. The front end doesn’t even feel like it’s hydroplaning. It feels like you’re taking off in an airplane when the rear wheels are still on the pavement, but the front wheel is in the air. The problem is cars don’t have tail rudders.

Modern Corvettes, though, are just too unreliable for my taste. To many stupid little gremlin type issues. Give me hammer simple. That is why I like Vipers. A small engine with big ass power, in a highly competent chassis that lets me make the decisions (though I admit, those E-diffs in the racers are quite nice. I’d love to have one of those in my old 280Z). Oh wait, you’re right, Corevttes do stink.

How’d I do?