Speaking of Player Demographics…

So I’ve been reading through a lot of different posts recently discussing the difficulty for some players to complete challenges based on their skill level. One even referenced a comparison to a “5 year old” playing the game. I know the statics are out there that actually place the average age of players, but I’m curious where this lines up with those here. (And no, I’m not from PGs trying to gather covert intel lol).
For myself, I will say that I’ve had someone message me before about a design I made & they referenced me as “kid”, bc I think that is the general assumption most of the time. In reality, I apparently fall within the “OG” category of gamer (according to my kids). I see a lot of discussions & comments about the quality of the game for various reasons, but, at the risk of being ostracized from the group, my first video game that totally blew our minds & kept us playing all night was “Pong” :smile: (who’s Googling that right now? lol). That’s right, my first console was the infamous Atari 2600 if that gives you an idea of my age. I’ve seen the gaming industry evolve for well over 40 years & am still amazed by where we are today with graphics & game complexity & the Series X for me has been the pinnacle so far.
So if you’re willing to share, where do you fall in the “gamer matrix”?

7 Likes

A vote would have been good, maybe split into decades 0-10, 10-20, etc.

My first entry to gaming was a zx Spectrum and portable cassette player.

5 Likes

This is where I got my start back in the early 80’s.

8 Likes

Pole Position was for sure a favorite! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I’m a wannabe 80’s gamer, because I missed out on those glory years by serving Queen & Country. After leaving I ended up with a Nintendo 64 before migrating to Playstation 2 then 3 for GT. I jumped ship to XBox in 2019 and landed firmly on FH4, then 3, then 2, then FM7, then FH1. So, I guess I’m a bit long in the tooth eh?

My favourite N64 games…

6 Likes

I seem to be solidly in your age bracket too. Of the late Gen-X / Early Millennial set. We know what life was like before computers and the internet. I love the perspective… this is why I love FH5, it captures all them feels from those halcyon days of gaming. I tell you too, Driving the 512 this week has been making my brain tweak right back here:

6 Likes

My first memorable video game was Lode Runner on an Apple IIe. I am a boomer that will hit 70 later this year

5 Likes

I was in grade school, but I remember this being the first ‘car’/‘racing’ game I ever had, on SEGA console. I’m 41 now and still drive poorly.

Ayrton Senna’s Super Monaco GP II

Ayrton_Senna's_Super_Monaco_GP_II_Coverart

RIP. Senna

5 Likes

Thank you for your service! I’m also a veteran & did my time in the US Army stationed in Germany in the early 90s.

3 Likes

I think my first car game was the original Need for Speed, on a Panasonic 3DO.
The red Ferrari in that was great fun.

We used to drive full pelt and do a handbrake turn on the brow of a hill.
You got massive air and rotated 360 or so.
Hilarious daft fun.

4 Likes

Glad to hear it! I was also thinking the same thing with the 512! When I was stationed in Germany, a guy (looking like a heavy version on Bon Jovi lol) pulled up in one of these at a local festival we were at. That particular one had a remote, hydraulic driven engine cover & I still remember standing there drooling over it lol. My inquiry of: “Kann ich antrieb?” resulted in a sympathetic “nein”, but hey, you have to ask! :smile:

1 Like

I had similar vibes with this :smiley:

chasehq

I am a late 80’s child. Memories of those Daytona and Sega Rally arcade machines.

Always wanted a console version of GTI club. :heart:

2 Likes

my first racing game was

REVS in 1986 from Geoff Crammond

Revs_game

2 Likes

gen x here - we had a pong thing plugged into the telly back in the day!

4 Likes

In my younger days I wasn’t really interested in gaming, but friends owned Atari’s and C64’s. Did not have to DuckDuck for Pong. Did own those early handheld video games like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man (had a Pac-Man watch). First computer was a Spectravideo MSX. Played some pinball on real pinball machines, but am not old enough to have been around to watch Apollo 11 live on TV.

1 Like

No judgement here :laughing:

3 Likes

“No judgement here :laughing:

Exactly! Thanks for sharing

3 Likes

Another mature player here. My first car racing game was Chequered Flag on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum (still got it).

I never really enjoyed car racing games until Horizon 4 came along. Before that it was the Wing Commander series of games for me.

1 Like

I’m older than Dr Who (the tv programme, not the character), and my first taste of videogames was playing that tennis game (probably Pong) in Woolies after school, circa 1980.

First console was Sega Megadrive: Sonic and Road Rash. I bought it on the recommendation of a sane adult. Videogames weren’t just for kids now.

Later,N64s were in the family, so multiplayer Mario Kart and GoldenEye.

Then PS1, with Destruction Derby, FIFA98, and GT 1 & 2.

PS2 brought DVD and better graphics, but Xbox360 was possibly the best. We have better graphics now, but i’m not sure we have better games. Or at least, so many of them.

3 Likes

I am in my fifties

1 Like