Something odd with Daytona

With the Daytona 500 coming up this weekend I decided to run a race at Daytona. I decided to use Historic American Muscle cars. I looked at the cars an picked the Dodge Daytona. I bought the car and did a quick tune. I increased the class of the car to B. It seemed a reasonable setup for a high speed oval. I then set up a free play race on the Daytona tri-oval. I did the race and easily won. I mean I ran away from the other cars. I noticed something odd. All the other cars were Dodge Daytonas. I then looked at the race results. All the other cars were stock Daytonas. They had no upgrades and were still D class. No wonder why my B class car ran away from them.

At first I thought this was a one time glitch. I exited free play. I set up a different free play. I then recreated the free play with the Daytona at Daytona. I checked the starting grid. All the other cars were stock Daytonas.

I then returned my Daytona to stock and set up another free play race at Daytona. I checked the starting grid and the other cars were a variety of other historic American muscle cars. I then upgraded my Daytona to 400PI, the max for D class. I set up the free play again and the other cars were a variety of historic American muscle cars.

I then upgraded my Daytona to C class and set up another free play race. I checked the starting grid and all the other cars were stock Daytonas.

It appears if you set up a free play race at the Daytona tri-oval for Historic American Muscle cars with an upgraded class Dodge Daytona, all the drivatars will have stock Dodge Daytonas. Odd.

The cars don’t automatically upgrade in Free Play. The Daytona must be the highest PI of it’s car-type, I don’t know the numbers as I don’t have access to my Xbox at the moment. The game is probably giving you the best competition it can give you.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know that. The Daytona has the highest PI of the Historic American Muscle cars.

I wish they would auto upgrade. You can choose auto upgrade in upgrade shop. That means they do have a configuration for the car to be upgraded to. I’m wandering into wish list territory here.

1 Like

Unfortunately you have discovered the issue that needs to be addressed in Free Play. I have written about it in multiple threads and the Features Wish List.

If you don’t select a division the game will choose AI to match your class if you have class set to B and you are in a B class vehicle. If you set the class to ANY, the game will put 6 to 10 cars above your class and the rest will be in your class. All of the AI cars in Free Play will be stock with no upgrade but you will get some challenge from the cars one class above yours in Free Play and class set to ANY.

We need some more options added to Free Play. In the mean time I usually have the class set to the car I am in and when the race starts, I pull over and let the field go ahead about 3000 feet. Then I try to catch first place. Usually 14 to 20 lap races gives you enough time to get into first and not get bored. On Ovals the AI/Drivatars are always easy on Unbeatable.

1 Like

Thanks for the addition info. Free play needs a lot of work. I have posted ideas in the wish list.

The reason I started this thread was I thought it was odd the Daytona 500 was coming up and I was setting up a race at Daytona, in a Daytona and the all drivatars were in Daytonas. I wondered if Turn 10 was up to something.