Snow tyres - what's the point?

Based on my testing, it seems that snow tires are best for snowy/icy conditions on tarmac. Offroads and rallys are still better on snowy/icy dirt.

Since there is scant little road that is snowy/icy tarmac in the game, and exactly 0 of the non-custom routes use it, I’d say avoid winter tires at all costs.

An extreme weather expansion might see the winter tire come good during the winter season, and it might be useful next series when the stadium gets turned into an ice rink, but for now they are useless.

Good. Dedicated snow tires in real life are the same way. Excellent on snow and ice. Sketchy on dirt and mud. Not to be confused with mud and snow (M&S) tires.

To this date as game has been out almost two years, the snow tires have no real purpose and mostly exist to remind us how previous game actually had winter like conditions across all the roads as seasons changed. FH4 didn’t however have snow tires even as a install option which makes this Mexico game even more daft.
Cp

2 Likes

No snow tires in FH4 ? I could swear there were ? Ah, or were they called Winter Tires ? and not the same thing ? I’d hate to fire up FH4 again after all this time just to look, I might get sucked back into it to great regret.

Really ? The way I recall it was you could only buy Winter Tires in the upgrade menu during Winter seasons and… I don’t recall if they stayed installed or not ? Maybe they got auto-swapped to some standard when not Winter ?

Rally tires were automatically converted as winter tires in FH4 when season changed. It did not have them as a separate install option as they’re now and now they’re utterly pointless.

3 Likes

Entirely possible I’ve conflated the FH5 handling of Winter Tire upgrade with memory of FH4. I’ll take your word for it, can’t be bothered to fire up FH4 to check :wink: …come to think, did I uninstall it ? Very possible.

Usually just put rally tires on as they have the best friction coefficients over most surfaces. The frictional coefficients between surfaces in this game is where the game physics really fails. There’s hardly any differential from snow to tarmac and all points in between.

1 Like

Is that why I can do tire squealing burnouts on dirt ? :wink:

2 Likes

Snow tires are good for some drift builds. That alone is a good enough reason to have them in the game.

Offroad tire is the best option if you do a rally or offroad build. FH4 didn’t have offroad nor winter tire as an option but in FH5 it’s the best for Cross Country or Rally is the offroad tire. The actual Rally tire has it uses but is rather limited.

I’ve never used them or seen a tune use them but I assumed they were for certain areas in the Hot Wheels expansion. Either way I mean if it’s 10,000 cr then that’s like pennies in this game.

Yes, they are exactly the same rally tiers renamed as winter tires during winter season.

I equipped snow tires once, didn’t find anything worthy about them.

A friend told me that he uses them in some drift upgrades.

1 Like

Extremely useful on some cars that underperform in their current performance class but can do great in lower classes (i.e. S1 to A). Like the Singer DLS if you’re doing a purist build (no engine or drivetrain swaps, no forced induction, no aero parts, etc.). Snow tires get you a few points below A800, and the other upgrades you need can take you there (race sway bars, race gearbox, race diff, tire width, etc.).

Basically they’re useful if you want to downgrade to a lower class, but rally tires don’t turn your car’s PI down enough, drag tires make you understeer a lot (tuning issue tbh) AND turn your car’s PI way too low, and you don’t want to put knobby off-road tires on your road-going sports car. That’s my experience at least.

1 Like

So far I havent had the need to use a snow tyre in FH5 and I have done all the tracks and track accolades…kinda havent missed using em :slight_smile:

I suppose if you were trying to get high up in some leaderboards they might come in handy …not sure :slight_smile:

The drag tires function way too well when compared to real life driving. I’ve seen a number of individuals launch their car off the road cause they thought their drag radials would handle well on the street. It’s a shame when you see new Hellcats and Mustangs wrapped around light/telephone poles because of this.

I have a million dollar idea for t10 hopefully they’ll see this an expansion to Arizona and cali or Arizona to Colorado just think that would be a really awesome way have those tires mean something special after this long and also give us more to do and more terrain

In FH4, you were almost forced to use them to make your car handle properly during the winter season, and i always done that to the cars i drove in the winter in that game, it was awesome, and it made all the difference, it turned an un-steerable boat ( without snow tyres ) into a flying racing machine, but growing up in Sweden we are forced to use winter tyres from december to april, does give me a different point of view of snow and ice driving i think.
In FH5 though, they dont serve much of a purpose though, since there is only snow on top of the volcano, so unless you go there all the time, you dont need in them in FH5.

Yes, they did, but not on all cars, and snow tyres were only avaliable during the winter season in FH4