Rear View Mirror 3-24-14

There wasn’t a lot of racing going on in the real world this weekend so this RVM takes aim at the NASCAR race in Fontana and it’s relevance to the movie “Days of Thunder.”

There’s also a link to a top 10 countdown drift clip contest going on right now.

If you have been trying to keep up with Mechberg in his Community Bounty Hunter event, I’ve got Phred’s video detailing the killer liveried Mercedes-Benz C63 Black Series you could win if you beat him.

So read up folks. I have some work to do in the CBH so I can at least walk with my head up. Right now I am feeling pretty lowly at 2:42.

Clue thread lovers, we will be kicking off the torture that is the Clue Thread on Thursday.

John

1 Like

Scratch that. I just dropped it to 2:37. I guess I am faster with a controller. Still learning how to handle my wheel at home.

1 Like

no announcement tomorrow then? :frowning:

I have a really bad pinched nerve in my shoulder and have not been able to try the CBH this time. I hated to see the caution come out when it did,i would of liked to see Gordon get another win. Thanks for the RVM John,by the way i like stadium trucks also.

Great read as always.
Its also the season start to the BTCC next weekend and it looks to be good!!

I am still ahead of him for now with a low 2.31 I may put in a few lap as I am not at work till thurs. And if your clue thread starts then I can see not much getting done :wink:

Another great RVW article, John! After seeing Mech getting 2:31:773, he’s got me really nervous now, considering that I put down at least 130 laps in a total number of 15 hours to get my current 2:31:668! I hope that’s his final, otherwise I got some work to do. Btw john, don’t give up yet, you may still beat his time! I was mad when that caution came out with 2 to go, I was rooting for Gordon to win since Jr’s run was a disappointment. However, one thing that really surprised me over the weekend was Kyle Larson, he ran very well in both Nationwide and Sprint; It was definitely like “Days of Thunder” when he came up through the field; He’s doing better than Montoya in the #42 car, that’s for sure :slight_smile: Hopefully Earnhardt will be better next weekend!
I’m looking forward to the DLC clue thread this week!

Nice RVM. BTW It’s Aric Almirola who is the # 43, the # 33 is rookie Brian Scott. Nascar has built up a huge following grass roots style. From the beginning The drivers started out as guys working out of their own garage just trying to race to make extra money. Each one with a personality that fans love to follow. Only recently in the last 24 years or so have you had to be rich to make it in the sport.

Phred did a great design on that livery. I must improve my time with that quirky beast of a car.

If a unicorn is available. FM4: 2004 Honda Mugen Civic Type-R

hello goodnight I mean I’m not a fan of nascar, wax and xq never seen a race tv. looketh on the internet to find out about it :wink:

Gt:TuRBo ToRTuGaa

Unicor: #2006 hks time attack evolution ct230r, #2007 lambo murcielago lp640

“I’m Dropping the hammer Harry”.

“No You’re Not Cole”

The April Car pack clues will be fun. Last month I was feeling so smart. but I was wayyyyy off.

As Far as NASCAR goes, I wish NASCAR would come to Seattle. or any of the big racing series really. I miss living on the east coast for that very reason. Nevermind, I don’t miss living over there at all.

GT Fergusontw
UNI: FM4 Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Kyle Busch is presumptuous, but no one can deny his talent behind the wheel.

Martinsville will be interesting, it will be worth keeping an eye on Larsen.

FM4 unicorn: BMW M3 GTR

Great read again
Looks like ive got some work to do sittin at a 2:32:0

Good read as always. I think I went from manufacturer level 10 to level 25 trying to get a decent time on the bounty hunter. I got a 2:33.9 with the wheel. I’m pretty sure I could go faster with the xbox controller - but I can’t see me getting into the 2:31s. Plus I prefer using the wheel - much more fun. I didn’t love the car setup but Spa is my favorite track by far.

If you’re feeling generous: GT: movaado, Unicorn: 2007 Ferrari F430 Scuderia would be appreciated.

Hi Guys,

Another good article John, looks like you had to work for this one lol, not a lot of racing last weekend at all. I too have been watching the super trucks, there awesome, some real paint trading racing, and the beloved carnage at times, defo worth a watch for anyone who loves racing.

The Fontana race sounds technical, I haven’t seen it myself, but I’ll have to check it out, 35 leader changers must have been an epic battle. Sounds like the track surface caused the most problems, but then again isn’t that part of every race, trying to the perfect tune for the track, it does seem like it may have caused a few to many problems to go untreated though, but if it makes for a good race, then it’s a tough decision to resurface or not, maybe they should get the fans involved and see what the majority opinion is.

Good look with the challenge John, hope you get your time down. It’s a shame there’s no challenges on Forza 4 any more, there’s a lot of new racers on there now, that’s not had the pleasure of beating you guys lol.

Gamertag: AndrewD187
Unicorn: •2002 MINE’S R34 Skyline GT-R

Please

Thank you for the Gallardo S, it’s a lovely car to drive, excellent all rounded. I’ve had some of my best race times on Mugello in it.

Days of Thunder is a classic movie. Import tuners get their fix with the F&F series, but Days of Thunder was one of the first movies to truly capture the excitement of competitive racing.
Not that I care for NASCAR that much, but a nice movie is a nice movie.

GT: Oscar RD87
FM4 Unicorn: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe

Great read as always! Looking forward to seeing the Drift clip countdown! I unfortunately don’t have an xbox One so I wont be paticipating! :slight_smile:

Gt: OhhSoniq
FM4 Unicorn: Top Secret S15 Silvia

My first post…I’m Spanish … sorry for my English. Nascar isn’t followed by many people in this country, but certainly Days of Thunder, made ​​more than one person laid eyes on this types of racing. Nascar has always looked very exciting racing.

Gt: BiackBear
FM4 unicorn: BMW M3 GTR

I think days of thunder brong along a whole new world of fans and revived the sport of racing in general.

Sadly I never received the 2002 rx7 I was hoping to get two weeks ago
…a BMW 1M would be awesome on all levels

CHEEZ IT 305

Being from the UK I’ve never really watched NASCAR before, may have to give it a watch or even the film Days of Thunder. Great read as always, Thanks.

GT: o Tc SoulJa v
FM4 unicorn: Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe

Days of thunder help nascar alot in my opinion but it was the wreck that killed one of nascars greatest drivers (Dale sr #3) that really made the people that didnt watch start. I am ready for the indy season to start i will be cheering 4 the ganassi teams. I hate when kyle busch wins i was hopin Larson would have got the win. Larson is the teammate of my favorite driver(Jamie Mcmurray) Iwas happy to see mac get a top 10. great read as always john… F4 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640-Ferrari 430 Scuderi-Mazda RX7 Spirit R Type A. thanks alot john and good luck on improving your time.

Great RVM this week! I love the focus on Nascar as I’m a huge fan and even bigger fan of Gordon, so yes, much disappointment this weekend. I was on the edge of my seat for the last 10 laps and thought all hope was lost until JJ blew a tire and then I thought it was in the bag and just had to nurse his car around for 5 laps so as to not blow any of his tires. But then, of course, everyone starts blowing tires in the last few laps, but everyone manages to hang on to their car except for, surprise, surprise, Clint Bowyer. Now I’m not saying anything, but I found it ironic that he was the only one that couldn’t control his car enough after he blew the tire and spin while Gordon was half a lap until the white flag. Anyone remember Phoenix? I’m sure Bowyer does. I was extremely deflated after the race to watch Gordon come in 13th after having the strongest car all day. Hopefully Gordon will have just as strong of a car this weekend at Martinsville. Going for #9! Go Gordon!

And yes, Fontana needs to do a repave soon and Goodyear needs to look hard at the compound of the tires if Nascar is allowing the teams to run more camber in the rear this year. And then good old “Days of Thunder”. One of my favorite movies of all time. I really believe it had a part in the resurgence of Nascar, but it wasn’t the only factor. A lot of it had to do with Dale Sr. and just the way Nascar started to market the sport. But “Days of Thunder” helped the sport a lot. I’ll end my post with one of my favorite scenes.

Harry Hogge: All right. While we’re still under a caution, I want you to go back out on that track and hit the pace car.
Cole Trickle: Hit the pace car?
Harry Hogge: Hit the pace car.
Cole Trickle: What for?
Harry Hogge: Because you’ve hit every other goddamned thing out there, I want you to be perfect.

GT: SlimyTurt1e
FM5 Credits