Racing with controller

Thats a personal opinion… Both can put up top ten times…Wheel in my opinion is more immersive…But im trying to learn how to use controller for the simplicity of just grabbing it and racing…Wheel has a little bit of setup etc…But which is better is a personal choice…

Most top leaders use manual with clutch… Its definately faster…Automatic is much slower…You can stay in gear much longer with manual to get all you can out of it…Most people use the buttons for manual clutch not bumper btw…Using buttons is easy,you just press both at same time.

I can’t say that I am cheap, I have just always enjoyed a controller on my race games. Plus, I don’t have a lot of time to set up a wheel and everything that goes with it just to get on for an hour or so. I haven’t taken the dive into the whole Manual W/Clutch but I do run with Manual. This is my set up:

RT - Gas
LT - Brake
RB - Up Shift
LB - Down Shift

I have my zones set I guess like most everyone else I guess 100 and 0 respectively. My steering is set to Simulation though, I think most everyone else has it set to normal. Guess I’m a glutton for punishment! Brakes I usually set down around 80 - 85 percent. When I am coming up on a corner I have found on my controller anyway that I can tap the side of the trigger and my brakes apply slightly. It actually helps with turning in and staying off the brake in the corner, staying in 2nd gear is a huge plus that I learned instead of going down to 1st and spinning the tires coming out of the corner.

I’m still a 46 year old novice or maybe intermediate player but damn I love the Forza series!

You need to give yourself time to get used to the change and develop the “sensory motor” skills needed to communicate with your car through the controller.

Keep assists off, use regular manual (just lift your finger off the trigger for stick-shift cars), keep throttle/brake and steering deads at 0/100 (very imp!!) and learn to relax your hands when playing. I imagine it’s the same when going to a wheel - takes time to get accustomed to.

Oh and yes, use the first default configuration; it makes for easy gear-shifting.

As I’m to poor to own a wheel and stand I have a lot of experience with racing with a controller, I set clutch to A and hand brake to left bumper So I can just mash couch and shift at the same time, also to brake and turn don’t fully depress the trigger and your not really supposed to brake and turn at the same time anyway:)

Set your dead zones to 0-100 for throttle, brake and steering. Also try using Simulation steering. Took some practice but I find this setting much better than normal when playing with a controller. Good luck!