Racing games make me sleepy/drowsy

Does anyone else experience this whilst playing racing games? Doesn’t matter if it’s gran turismo 4, forza motorsport 7, etc.
Without fail, I get sleepy really fast.

It makes me think of Jesse from Fast and Furious (2001) Its just something about engines that calms me down, ya know? - YouTube

Forza isn’t as bad as some others.

In fact, I used to play Tokyo Extreme Racer, just to make myself tired. The droning did the trick about 10 minutes in each time.

Sad truth though, this makes driving long distances IRL pretty difficult. If you want to be a truck driver when you grow up, you might want to check into something else.

Game was beast on Dreamcast. Played it to death.

1 Like

If you get sleepy really fast from racing games, they probably aren’t the games for you.

I feel that effect when trying to read books outdoors (on the beach etc). I haven’t been made sleepy by the game, but certainly have played past when I should be in bed and on more than one occasion have been woken up by the controller rumbling in my hand as the car goes off track during a race.

2 Likes

that’s the feel i had after few minutes on horizon games

2 Likes

Only if I’m playing late in the night. Otherwise, nah.

But of course, I literally only have my PS4 and Xbox One FOR racing games, I don’t really play anything else so it’s safe to say I’m more than interested when I pick the controller up.

1 Like

Also, turn the motion blur off in games.

3 Likes

Motion blur? Never heard of it. Where can you do that in FM7?

On PC options->video->advanced->motion blur quality [off]
On console you can’t do that and I’m not sure, if it is enabled there (probably at some degree it is). Maybe One X will bring those options to console as well.

1 Like

Never get tired from playing driving games,i did however play for 10 hrs straight once,when I went to drive my car to the store,i seen 3 roads instead of 1,i went back home until it went away,never play that long,its not good for you.

1 Like

I have the same issue could be something simple or could be a sign of something dangerous to your health.

I have sleep apnea and would be fully rested and would fall asleep on many forza games until I was diagnosed and treated. Check with your doctor or at least read up on sleep disorders just in case.

Now I only nod off when playing instead of sleeping.

I’ll get drowsy if I’m driving continuously on the same track for too long. When I set the race length to Long it’s been just a bit too long, and I started to get drowsy in the last couple of laps. Endurance races are the bane of my existence.

1 Like

yes! I was wondering if It was just from getting older or what, I first noticed it 3 years ago while playing grid autosport and for some reason it doesn’t happen on any of the need for speeds or forza horizons, just track based racing games.

Depends on the motorsport in question. Time can go quicker than you think when putting a few extra races in. I was playing FM7 for about 4 hours then headed into DIRT 4 and that nagging nancy spineless co-driver bumping his gums on a 14-mile stage would keep anyone awake but it does tend to keep you alert constantly being told what to do compared to hitting the track round and round on your lonesome.

1 Like

I got the same.

Dunno if it’s that “Sopite Syndrom” or more of a feeling of being hypnotised, running in circle when i know the track by heart.
It’s like my brain halfly disconnects and i’m finding myself following the track without even thinking about it, like mechanically.
… Then i get off track and suddently focus again lol

3 Likes

I nod off like a heroin addict, its just briefly though

1 Like

Don’t play in a dark room. Have a 40W lamp turned on next to you. I know it might lower the intensity of the game and make it more difficult to see the track during night races, but it helps. Just turn the racing line on for night races. Forza 7, being darker than Forza 5 and 6 doesn’t help matters.

1 Like

I’m always tired these days - I could nod off while a lion chewed my foot off. I actually think I’m probably slightly more alert than normal while playing.

1 Like

I can normally play for 4 to 5 hours (couple breaks here and there) with no drowsiness but the last week or two I’ve noticed on longer races and specifically endurance races I was closing my eyes on the longest straightaways and struggling to stay wake and finish the race. My girlfriend tells me I should take naps that lots of retired folks (I’m retired 18 months) take a nap every afternoon. I have tried to take a nap and nothing happens brain just won’t shut down unless I’m very sick or something. So couple days ago it happens again and I’m like what the hell, then it dawns on me I just took two allergy pills, I investigate and sure as **** my girlfriend bought a different allergy (Benadryl) medicine and it caused my drowsiness. But hey who knows maybe a cocktail with lunch and quick nap before the next long race might be the ticket.

1 Like