Race Regulations system and revised Track Limits in FM7

https://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/wir_5_18_18

Previewed in the third episode of #InsideXbox: “…our Race Regulations system, which will be part of the game, sort of rolling out over the next few months.”

15 Likes

According to Mechberg they’ve redrawn all limits by hand, that’s very interesting.

1 Like

I wonder if this means current leaderboards will be wiped? I was trying to watch the stream but it kept freezing for me, so sorry if it was mentioned.

4 Likes

Did they use little marker pens?

1 Like

I really, really, really hope they get rid of all those tire bundels, as they’ve actually shown during the Inside Xbox show.

4 Likes

I also see the word “penalty” in the top left corner, which could prove interesting. I don’t race online more than to complete a weekly league race, so it doesn’t make much difference for me, but I believe that is something people have been asking for to address the rammers for quite some time. Glad to see it.

3 Likes

Seems their heavy promotion of e-sports will trickle down to the customers… which is always a good thing.

5 Likes

Also, visual indicators denoting collisions between cars briefly appeared on screen. I think that may have been a debug screen for a more thorough Race Reg system in the style of GT Sport’s and iRacing penalty systems, that we may see implemented in the following months (and may become a “standard feature” of FM in the years to come). Hopefully we will get more info soon?

There is also hope that the implementation of hand-drawn track limits and a penalty system may finally lead to a FM7 free of sticky grass and needlessly dangerous tire walls.

5 Likes

That was simply the collision system that let’s the data know which way to make the car spin etc when it’s been hit.

The penalty is effectively a dirty lap or they could program it for a time penalty…

FM2 was time penalty, otherwise known as redtime. It just leads to people seeing who can cut best and pick up the least amount of time.

3 Likes

Fyi you don’t actually have to do a league race to get the credit, just sign into leagues then back out

As for the OP it’s about friggin time! Let’s hope they get it right or are at least are using it as a test bed to make sure FM 8 is done right

“Here at T10 we recognize that there is a big difference in player skill in multiplayer and we are aware of griefers. So to help fix this we’ve completely redrawn the track limits for every ribbon!”

…how does that stop griefers in any way? New track limits won’t stop people from cutting and it does nothing to combat wreckers even though Mechburg said that it was designed for that purpose. Am I missing something here?

12 Likes

We’re missing the details, which will start with tomorrow’s Week in Review and will continue “rolling out in the next few months.”

3 Likes

It will stop the very clean racers from ramming the clean cutters for cutting the track.

If limits are redrawn for all ribbons then boards have to be wiped entirely, or its for naught. Do it!

8 Likes

The idea behind those drawn track limits is great and Monza looks way better without the stupid tire walls everywhere. But there has to be a penalty system coming with this. Otherwise it won’t change much for online racing.

3 Likes

Collision detection looks promising. But I’m not sure if it could differentiate between an actual collision or a lag bump. There’s times where small bumps get amplified for the player getting hit and sometimes the player that hit them didn’t even touch their car.

There’s definitely some challenges to note of but nevertheless, I’m happy to see the initiative to push Forza towards a more mature and professional mindset.

1 Like

They not only can differentiate but also have the perfect system for that. In Horizon, the game can tell a strong hit from a weak one, and not break your skill chain with weak bumps. I expect something like that to be added to their penalty system.

1 Like

Actually… Yeah, I think you might be right. I looked back at the video on Manteomax’s first post and right at 3:04 you could see the hit register on the debug window.

It looks like it logs a few things like momentum difference/change, position changes, off track incidents and actual speed vs expected speed. Very nice.

1 Like