Question about Tuning vs. Controller skill

I have been playing since Forza 5, and even with other games where you can tune, the main issue I have is determining: What can I tune to handle corners better without spinning out? VS. Do I need to just get better at using the controller? Since there is no way for the game to simulate inertia since you are not actually sitting there driving, I have a hard time ‘feeling when to turn’. I try to drive with assists off now, having just turned them off today. But when I turn it seems impossible to turn with a smooth controlled arc with the stick. If I am turning left, its push left and feather back and forth, left and up, left and up, but the car tends to act appropriately. The reason I do this is when I do try to stay smooth with the turn, I end up spinning out. And sense some cars are rear wheel drive vs front vs all, I am not sure which side of the car to focus on as pertains to handling adjustments.

So my question is, how do you know when to tune or just try to get better with the controller?

The way to tell would be go to a stock rivals event and see how you wind up on the leaderboard. Also how consistent your times are compared to your best time. If you are not consistent there’s a good chance you need to improve more than the car needs fixing. If you are wayyyy off pace from the top of the leaderboards there’s a good chance it’s driving ability.

If there’s cycled production hoppers u can try those and see where u end up also.

I have a pretty slow Ford Capri that is glued to corners for me. Its a D-class and if you loose backend on this car, I would suggest training a bit more with controller. Not the best way I guess, but its a way for you to compare. I been driving with controller for years.

Try the full racing line only. It makes up for not “being there” imo.

I also used to stick something on top of my steering thumbstick to make it taller (bit of blutack and some lego). That increases the distance you need to move your thumb and makes the steering easier to control. The new elite controller comes with longer stick attachments, I’m looking forward to giving it a try.

they definitely changed physics so it’s not the forza physics you’re all used to. the weight shifts, roll axis, and center of gravity all feel very different than before. the tire physics are improved too, but the first thing i noticed is the way the cars throw their weight around is vastly different from previous games. the top heavy cars feel more top heavy, while the low slung cars have very little weight shift and the loss in traction is nearly instant… whatever they’ve done… it feels better. more comparable to real life physics.

now their changes do play some havok on the tumbling through the air physics, the rollover at speed physics, and a slow car getting hit by a fast car is weird too. but nothing that isn’t hilariously awesome. but as for the actual serious driving, it’s much improved.

You have the general idea. At first, it’s far more important to be consistent than to tune. You can’t tell if tunes are working if your own driving habits introduce more variables than tuning adjustments.

FM4 wasn’t so bad, but in FM5 & FM6, it is absolutely critical for me to have the smallest inside deadzone for steering. I prefer it low for brakes and accelerator also. If I recall correctly, the deadzone in the FM6 demo and full game defaults to something like 0.25, i.e., you have a 25% range of motion before the input does anything. This creates the dual result of a large zone where the control does nothing, and once you’re out of the deadzone, small inputs have large effects. This approaches an all-or-nothing effect where it is really difficult to be smooth through corners and to properly countersteer when the tail gets loose.

I recommend trying 0 inside (or no more than about 5 if it’s too touchy or you have a controller with stick drift) and 95+ outside. If you’ve already done this and you are struggling for consistency, nothing will help more than seat time. In FM6, you can adjust deadzones in Options | Controller/Wheel then X button for Advanced settings.

Definitely see if it’s the car or you by getting in a grip tune - suggest something in slower classes. To make sure No TCS and throttle control isn’t creating your oversteer. To go along with your steering input.

It’s much easier to learn in a more moderately powered car.

There’s a lot of reasons for a car to spin out.
Does it spin out while on throttle.
Does it spin or over rotate while braking or coming off the throttle
Does it spin because the front turns in to quickly

All those things are different parts. Accel diff, developed diff, arbs, etc (I’m not a good tuner but. It’s starting to click a bit. But sounds like you need a bit more consistency with driving with a controller.

I run unorthodox tunes and am possibly not the best to chime in here but umm…

First thing to do is like the others said before see where you stand in a spec rivals… If you fare well there id say top 5-10% and can match your time consistently I’d say you’re about right… there are some seriously fast racers out there where even in sat sractching my head wondering how they’re 5 seconds faster than I am in the same car on a short tight track in the spec rivals… That one in the Audi for example… How on earth is that possible… On a flying lap sure but you only get 1 lap… Ohh hold on… It’s just clicked… Sneaky buggers!!!

Back on subject though! If you can run consistently start looking at your set up… Reduce your rear spring stiffness and raise the rear ride heigh a little bit, drop the rear camber, increase your acceleration lock and match your deceleration lock, stiffen you front ARB, soften the rear a little, soften the rear tyres a touch… It’s all about finding a balance that works for you and as we all have different driving styles, lines, builds and what not it’s really down to you and how you want it to feel.

My set ups for example run a super tight balance and edge more towards a sharp turn in and transitional understeer… I like my cars to push through the corner with the rear end stuck firmly behind the front… I like to be able to nail the throttle early knowing that I’m not visiting the bushes in reverse… Others like the car to slip and slide, others like it to run on rails and other like to try racing on their roofs… Most of us prefer racing on all 4s though…